/egg/ - Engineering Games General - Formerly /svgg/

Pissed-On Edition
Previous jej: Corneroids, Space Engineers, Starmade, Avorion, From the Depths, Factorio, REM, Robocraft, Machinecraft, Garry's Mod, Homebrew, Besiege, Infinifactory, Scrap Mechanic, GearBlocks, and anything else welcome. Also, all these games are ded. Only ded games may join, otherwise they must have their own thread.

WebM for retards:
>gitgud.io/nixx/WebMConverter.git

List of currently known and vaguely not as dead /egg/ games (this list is not fully inclusive and if you think a game might belong here, feel free to ask):
>Space Engineers
>StarMade
>Avorion
>From the Depths
>Factorio
>REM
>Robocraft
>Machinecraft
>Homebrew - Vehicle Sandbox
>Besiege
>Infinifactory
>Scrap Mechanic
>Robot Arena 2
>KOHCTPYKTOP: Engineer of the People
>Algodoo
>Empyrion - Galactic Survival

Information about these games, such as where to get them if they're not on steam, trailers, /egg/ conquered/hosted servers, and other shit can be found in this pad:
public.etherpad-mozilla.org/p/eggames

OP pad for future /ded/s
public.etherpad-mozilla.org/p/eggop

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.4plebs.org/o/thread/13570442/#13584781
youtube.com/watch?v=onyGPR8pjaw
youtube.com/watch?v=KBMU6l6GsdM
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=726781086
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=645817478&searchtext=MCM
youtube.com/watch?v=J1H2_VTGtk0
blog.marekrosa.org/2016/08/opening-search-for-ceo-senior-producer_29.html
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=760079137
store.steampowered.com/app/476530
anyforums.com/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

first for lesbians

2nd for living in a cyberpunk dystopia without any of the cool tech

I like this idea, can we do this instead?

4rd for slavs always superior engineers

Why?

5th for suggesting to change the 1st part to not repeat the names and describe the /svgg/ legacy.

i support this

/ded/ imminent, posting superior engineering games

Not /egg/ tho

That's the joke

Does rust count as social engineering
my only wish in life is to see warbros enslave a server

Friendly reminder that engineering games are destined to short lived.

Rust counts as sausage engineering

Though they kinda fucked it with censor bars and female player models.

BENIS :DDD

What do you find enjoyable in engineering games? discover new way and solution, yes, they may feel great but only for that moment. The joy of discovery only work once. You cannot rediscover them unless they are forgotten.
>it forces itself into the possession of every one, and the receiver cannot dispossess himself of it. -thomas jefferson

Imagine having hard time fighting a boss when you are unable to proceed, you look it up on internet and found that it is actually pretty easy to get pass it and you feel like a fool for struggling so much. Or you have succeeded in beating the boss after a hard fight then you look up on internet and find that others has done so in a far easier way. At that moment you feel that everything you have done so far has been worthless.

Engineering is about finding solution and a solution will indeed be found. There will always be a solution better than others, the most efficient way to achieve result and you would be a fool to use anything else.

Discovered solution become a staple in a way you just copy paste it everytime you need it and you never make any change to it because it could no longer be improved.

When new mechanic are introduced, you quickly regain the joy of adventuring and discovery, but that would also last only for moment.

When every question has been answered, everything has been tried, what's left to keep it going? what's left to make it still interesting?

What the ever-loving fuck happened to that piston?!?

>page 8 after 15 minutes
Where were you when Veeky Forums was relatively slow board

>What do you find enjoyable in engineering games?
Completing long drawn out but relatively simple tasks to build towards something great. Losing it all thanks to something stupid on your or the game's part. Tearfully jerking off to the momument of your failure.

That's the core gampleay loop of all /egg/ games.

It changed its mind about being in this engine, so it left

>people meme about wankel engines being unreliable
>meanwhile piston engines CLANG through the engine block and up the owner's face on a daily basis

Pistons are one of CLANG's favored children after all

Yeah, but... something's done a pretty good job of trying to crush it flat. They're literally big slabs of tool-grade material to withstand the forces of internal combustion. I don't even think hydraulic presses could cause that much damage.

Usually something else lets go and the piston gets blown clear in the ensuing carnage, but did this one literally just punch it's fucking way out Saitama-style?

I don't remember the exact details, but I think the oil pump failed and the engine didn't like being full of metal shavings from the pistons and bores instead of oil. Shit got hot, yo

>piston nearly melted until the block failed from heat weakness
Ah. It all makes sense now.

Dug up the original post, fun stuff
archive.4plebs.org/o/thread/13570442/#13584781

Spent about 20 minutes working on the sequel to the suppressor.
Suppressor 2: The Oppressor.

>When every question has been answered, everything has been tried, what's left to keep it going?
When you're autistic, this never happens.

That isn't even CLANG, that's just pure wilful fucking ignorance and abuse on the owners' parts. Even the Cummins dividing by zero was because they fucked up recalling a fault.

I'm kinda disappointed, I was hoping for spontaneous disassemblies and just got karma coming to a pack of retards.

That will sink fast.
Put some 1x1 wheels facing down on the front with 0% friction to have at lease a bounce.

Discover that you can do better, and ideas comes from everywhere.

I DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT user

SEEMS FINE TO ME

Yes, unlike small grid heavy armor, large grid with 570 tons of mass will get its day ruined by a flimsy tree

did your gigarig literally get vaporized by bumping into a fucking tree?

Well to be precise, 2 trees. First one destroyed the front bit, the second actually penetrated the interior and the suspension dropped its spaghetti from the g shock.

The speed is limited to 180 km/h btw

Don't you know? Wood is the hardest hue material in the universe.
Not even nanites can withstand collision with a tree.

>looks like team rocket is blasting off again

But user, you can grind your PLEX, too. It's totally the same as F2P, only more sustainable! Devs gotta eat, goyim!

>You people suck and killed the /svgg/ base.

I can either hope that the dev knows how to implement X, at the specifics of Y, or ask for the parts to make it myself. If a game provides me with all the functions I would ask for (thrust vectoring, automated door systems, automated production, drones with AI that can be told to do X, Y and Z, you name it), I don't need those parts. If a game does not have these things, I would like to have a remote control/AI block, moving parts, blocks to move things, and so on. Is that a position more amicable to yours?

Designing pretty hulls is not mutually exclusive with engineering. The best designs in, e.g., Spengies, are those that combine the flow of a nice shape with the dense/efficient placement of functional parts.

Freedom ain't free. The tree of liberty and privacy gotta be littered with the blood of those who wish to take it from my cold dead hands. I'm my own leader. I'll fuck with hypercorps and am wanted by them aswell. Canada, not Can'tada ok. Where's my smokes?

When I do 'thing', I always wonde,r if I can make 'thing' better. So I reiterate. I tear down, try a new angle, build a testbed, until I arrive at a point where 'thing' is optimised as far as I can without compromising functionalities.

Now, 'thing' is just one element. It does not belong into every 'greater thing', but only in some. And so I keep reiterating, testbedding, trying, failing, throwing away, learning from mistakes and success alike, and it keeps me going.

And sometimes, I stop doing all that, take my current knowledge, make a 'different thing' and play with that for a bit, anywhere from 5 minutes to a couple of days, before I throw it into the shredder again.

Those are vulcanized ebony trees apaprently

You need to make a hangar with a ramp for the small one to come out of the big one.

I need to find "gass KEEN" console command

see for suppressor dealing with the tree menace on older patch

When did this happen?

You pillocks are on page 9 again

>marek that's right!

>Join /egg/men clan in robocraft
>It's been about a day now
>Still haven't seen a single member online

Well, I did hear the game's pretty dead...
Too bad I only started in late July...

Who ready for bugfixes and improvements ("fixed landing gear causing null references") here?

At some point in the future, once engineering has been fully tamed Clang will be deified and people will sacrifice pistons and rotors in Its name.

Remember the cant.

Titan and Europa want to run this sytem, WSA beltalowda livin in asteroids gonna ruin their day.

I'm still not sure what that contraption is based on.

Told you

You're lucky. Its been a painful fall to the bottom, like down a hill made of shards of glass.

youtube.com/watch?v=onyGPR8pjaw

>2014 was two years ago
What a time to be alive.

LaughingMCRN.jpg

But what would ever make the game good again?

Holy shit man, MCRN uniforms are so fucking goat.
Would join in an instant just for swish levels that high.

I want to build the Roci so badly in spengies.

Any essential modlist for spengies?
youtube.com/watch?v=KBMU6l6GsdM

Firing all current programmers and staff, particularly the designers, taking remaining funds after liquidation of everything and giving it to someone why actually knows how to make a half decent game.

you easily could

The turrets on pistons behind doors are the one thing stopping me.

It's my next design after i finish my bab 5 inspired cruisers.

Zyklon B

A few of the corvette sized ships I've posted here in the past are all heavily inspired by ship design philosophy from the Expanse series. It honest to god does let you squash a lot of stuff into a tiny ship.

When a lot of shit simultaneously breaks without the small parts fading.

Yeah, small ships with big ship ideals is the best way to build comfy.
I'm gonna probably do that with my version of the Roci, but I guess we'll see how it goes.

I'll need a mod for a bigger hydrogen thruster though, the smallship large ones just arent big enough by far.

>stripped a workshop roci and turned it in to the Cathodica on ZF
>the jew TBM has thrust facing gravity

Some modder has built a few custom parts for a Roci build including a thrust bell. I've never tried it so I'm not sure if it could actually provide enough thrust. I don't really do replicas and my ships just use multiple level 4 tiered hydrogen thrusters.
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=726781086
Here's the first really successful (in my opinion) corvette that I turned out.
Here's some of the parts that the modder created, you can find more of their work by just typing in MCM into the workshop searchbar, I use some of their blocks in my own builds.

This is a nice cluster bomb...

Oh shit nigger youre the one who posted the quixote.
That thing was cute as fuck, I really like your aesthetic.

And yeah i saw that modder, but idk, his texturing leaves a little to be desired. That rcs module for example looks kinda flat.

I'm building a small ship in Starmade, and I have no idea what to do with the cargo bay.
Should I just put rows of cargo storage blocks in there? Any ideas?

this is what I do for cargo A E S T H E T I C S

Add hazard stripes, mark zones with cargo, add decorative gantry crane.

neat

I play them as 4X games
The engineering component is there for me to develop weapons

Apparently, it's semi-common knowledge that hovercraft can scale the wall in TDM, but I only just now found this out and I've been ambushing people like crazy with this strategy...

Also because this is the only bot I have that both looks and performs pretty decent my garage...

That looks amazing. I love the metal pillars you have.
What are you using for the coloured crates?

>Add hazard stripes, mark zones with cargo, add decorative gantry crane.
I don't think a crane will fit, but decorating with hazard stripes sounds like a good idea.

Also, why the fuck is there a vent that leads to the outside built into a spacecraft?

Because Freejam logic

>What are you using for the coloured crates?
That's the cargo, hun.
The cargo space fills up with them as you put stuff into storage.

because there's always that one single autist in the design team that think starships need windows to look out of.

Oh. Okay then.
I'm still learning how to play. This is my first non-clusterfuck ship.
Thanks!

>hun

What are you, some kind of faggot?

;^)

>KEEN gassed marek so he can go work on his AI waifus which will probably turn out making only really hard gay male AIs
>their new guy is actually competent which makes him look like a genius compared to the others
Is spengies finally going to be good?

Try not to get your hopes up. user.
The lower they are, the less speed they gather whilst falling onto the rocks below.

youtube.com/watch?v=J1H2_VTGtk0
>belter version never

Marek got fired?

>implying I am capable of feeling hope
It's just a numb mild curiosity at this point.

>when 3D tryin hard but you gotta stay true to the waifu

Pic very related.
T-thanks! I finished an even smaller one recently that I'll be publishing. The MCM textures on the RCS and the bell are a bit off and I don't use them, but then again I've never tried doing a replica.

blog.marekrosa.org/2016/08/opening-search-for-ceo-senior-producer_29.html

Oh god yes I need that shit.
It's not on the OST though which breaks my heart.

You're definitely in the right thread, then.
But yeah, they seem to have some new hires who arent mouthbreathers and seem to be doing new and magical things.
Maybe one day we'll have a really fucking great game on our hands.

For real, Im very much planning to steal some aesthetic choices from you famalam. Shit's good.

And yeah, I have a few plans of things to build next.
Ive got my B5 cruisers, and im working on a transport variant now, but Im planning some kind of small ship corvette which can land on planets. Very much gonna be emulating bits of the Rocinante.

aaagh this is so boring, melting my CV to fund the spacebase is taking forever

Thanks! I'm pleased to know that the aesthetic works. B5 ships were pretty cool. I gravitated towards Expanse ships because honestly I was never very good at making ships which weren't symmetrical, things like your pic just wouldn't occur to me to even build. Speaking of ships for planetary landing the sister corvette which I just uploaded can pull it off (albeit landing on her left side) in up to 1.6 Gs, I haven't tested at higher gravity than that but I suspect the T4 hydrogens can pull it off in higher gravity than that. Lore and description of specs to come, as is she's still hot out of the oven so to speak.
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=760079137

Think what you like about this guy.
But that complete rejection of her trying to kiss him just amuses me every time I see these pictures.

Is this the game that will save /egg/ ?
store.steampowered.com/app/476530

Is this hullo?

>store.steampowered.com/app/476530
Maybe, it looks like fun though

No, this is /egg/, not /trash/
:^)