/agdg/ - Amateur Game Dev General

DDX Continues Edition.
Post your game, leave feedback for others.

>Next Demo Day (X)
itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-10

>Next Game Jam (Lewd -- Blueboard rules still apply)
itch.io/jam/lewd-jam-2016

>Lewd Jam Collabs
docs.google.com/document/d/1K9wlzcJntyOCV3KLvRcvllZ2ZUnGgrDtiwPdMLlw5XQ/edit?usp=sharing
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Sm0Pxz0uq-62L46TdXmKisynbhLI_by-pLNlcgo4B8M/edit?usp=sharing

Helpful Links: tools.aggydaggy.com/# (Still in beta)
New Threads: Archive: boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/agdg/
AGDG Logo: pastebin.com/iafqz627

>Previous Demo Days
pastebin.com/X6fLvtzA

>Previous Jams
pastebin.com/qRHNpCbZ

>Chats
steamcommunity.com/groups/vgamedevcrew
webchat.freenode.net/?channels=vidyadev

>Engines
GameMaker: yoyogames.com/gamemaker
Godot: godotengine.org/
Haxe: haxeflixel.com/
LÖVE: love2d.org/
UE4: unrealengine.com/what-is-unreal-engine-4
Unity: unity3d.com/

> Models/art/textures/sprites
opengameart.org/
blender-models.com/
mayang.com/textures/

> Free audio
freesound.org/browse/
incompetech.com/music/
freemusicarchive.org/

Other urls found in this thread:

itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-10/rate/84455
rohit.itch.io/coal-ddx
kappa-kavi.itch.io/dumpling-adventure-prototype
itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-10/rate/84433
spacebake.itch.io/endorous
itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-10/rate/84370
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

What makes for a good level?

Verticality and horse shoe shapes

>open aggydaggy game
>controls are shit
>close aggydaggy game
every time

On a related note, what's your favorite DDX game?
Try not to name yours

Also, Jassoz, holy SHIT that red monster with the greatsword is terrifying. The sound makes it.

reminder permadeath has no place in good games

I didn't play all of them yet.

That is incredibly vague. It highly depends on what kind of game it is, how far into that game it is, and how the level serves purpose to the game as a whole.

Introduction of new mechanic
Advanced use of the new mechanic
Combination of the new mechanic with mechanics from previous levels
Hype as fuck boss fight

My game is boring? fuck you mate. don't you realize how long it took me to make? You didn't even play it right you total fucking retard. You constantly would click like a fucking dickhead and not at all read anything on the screen. Holy shit I quit making games, this dude is a fucking imbecile of the highest caliber.

That's fucking right user. What have you done in 2 weeks, have you worked on anything? Have you bled for something you believe in? No, you sat on your fat ass mocking talent, dedication and hard work. You showed absolutely no criticism, just, "duhh i dunno how to play this game so it's boring uhhhhh its too long of a game for me to process."

God the fucking nerve of you. Two weeks may not seem long for your miserable fucking life, but for people with everything to lose. REAL GAME DEVS it's everything to us. How fucking dare you even download my game you ignoramus, you lowest common denominator twat. I'm fully surprised you were able to navigate my itch page and click "DOWNLOAD" Did mommy help you with that you stupid fuck?

For anyone else that played my game, be objective and be fair, don't just be a stupid prat about the whole thing like this stupid piece of shit.

More specific?

Do you not know where it is?
Are the controls bad?
Will it not run?

He may be scary but he's not so tough. Get a sword with high knockback and he's cake.

He's also vulnerable to fire, so firebomb/oilbomb his ass

that includes dungeon break

better fix that shit

I am beginning to have some heavy doubts about my decision to use Unity 2D physics because "physics based games are fun!"

ur a faget

are unity 2D physics shit or what?

Of the ones I played so far, Rapid.
Not even my game I promise

it's more that "realistic" physics and platforming in 2D has a weird feel and stuff.

haven't played them all, but Dungeon Break was pretty rad

That's it. I'm finished. Done. It's over. I'm so sick of being in such a toxic community full of overgrown man children who can do nothing better than constantly put other down just to make themselves feel bigger and better than everyone else. You guys are a bunch of bullies, who have no right to be telling anyone how or how they can't make their games. If you want your standard shitty placeholder characters than be free to look into the mainstream triple A development studios.

As for other fellow idie devs out there who care to change the community by addded, yes, "Good looking" casts of interesting placeholder characters and placeholder protagonists. Keep on making your game, or just leave this toxic community like I am. It's not everyday I get the chance to do nice things for my girlfriend because of my long and busy work schedule, and I'm not going to have the one project that I do for her get shit on by a bunch of bitter and sad trolls.

I am completely past the point of doubting using Unity2D physics and have started to port over the collision system I wrote for using in Monogame.

Its a buggy mess.

How do I have more characters without having to model more characters?

I'm considering having a set of twins

Has anyone used Futile for Unity? Looks pretty neat

palette swap

A reminder: you don't need to reply to the recap post anymore. Just fill out the format and post in a Monday or Tuesday thread.

~~=September Week 1 Recap=~~
We have a total of 35 games. Twenty two games have returned from previous recaps! Demo Day 10 draws near, as does the day each and every one of you submits your game to DD10.

~~=High Scores=~~
(12) Vampire's Bit
(12) Unnamed Pixel Platformer
(10) Ctesiphon
(9) Knightly Terrors
(8) Monolith
(6) Skylarks
(6) RadMaze
(5) Vagabondia
(4) Project Shmoop
(4) M4World
(4) [Placeholder Title]
(3) Whimp the Bold
(3) Shiphack
(3) Restless Dreams
(3) City Night
(3) Ball Run
(2) Sundown City
(2) Skeletons and Stuff
(2) Retribution (WIP)
(2) Chest in the Infinite Hedgemaze
(2) Bonpa: The Little Shaman
(2) Alone in the forest

(Score is calculated by number of recaps in a row)

~~=Feedback=~~
Think I've missed your game? Notice the scraper has made an error? Ideas or comments? Reply to this and let me know! Include your game name if it's missing.

No big deal, user. the WASD+JKL layout is weird to some people, hence why the controls are rebindable!

Dungeon Break has been updated to v.003!
This should fix the game-breaking map bug user found earlier, as well as adds the weapon drop tip to the tutorial.

itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-10/rate/84455

Gonna start playing some games now, starting with hedgemaze!

> Just fill out the format and post in a Monday or Tuesday thread.
est time zone?

Okay. I found this thing.
So now, let's look at the itch demo page together and find out who are the true yes devs here and who are the wannabee newfag babies

the only game i recognize is that DF clone

Getting really awful framerate in Frog's Life
Windows 7
8 GB RAM
2.6GHz processor

Where is your game?

On the very top of the demo page as it should be boy.

I don't see it.

The new humble bundle is pretty decent eh?

it doesn't work like that. my game is in that list but I was labelled a whodev because i didn't post enough.

Okay, first review: Chest in the Infinite Hedgemaze

This game is super cute. Running around with sweet shades and flapping my gob open and shut is a joy. The overall feel of the game is pretty comfy and inviting, and I really dig the art style.

I do have a few minor nitpicks, though

First of all, if you run into a wall and continue running into it, the MC jitters around like crazy, which looks a bit weird.

I feel like enemies don't telegraph their at all, which is fine when you have a gun and you can stay at a distance and dodge-roll through projectiles, but when you're up close hacking at them, it sort of felt like there was no real way to avoid getting damaged, The slimes especially. This could just be me, but I figured I'd mention it.

As much as I like flapping my gob around, the chest-opening sound is a bit obnoxious. It should be as short and simple as the chest-closing sound, in my opinion.

Finally, I think that if you're facing right, and you aim behind you with a gun, your MC should flip to face the mouse. It looks weird to be pointing the gun backwards, when you could instead have the MC always mirrored to face the mouse, and just be backpedaling if you're moving away from the mouse.

Otherwise, I enjoyed the demo. Some more punch in the combat would be nice. The weapons didn't feel like they had much weight or power. And obviously some comfy music wouldn't do any harm.

Look forward to more from you, hedgeanon.

which one is it? i might remember it

WASD + JKL makes more sense than arrow keys.

I always use that if game has no gamepad support.

YOU would remember it but the other 95% of agdg are not long time members, this community is liquid, it comes and goes at a very high pace.

just try not posting your game for a few months and see what happens. no one will remember you because it is no longer the same community.

I don't see why W isn't jump, though
you don't need a dedicated climb ladder key

Right? I use WASD+JKL for pretty much all 2D games that would otherwise use arrow keys.

Next review: Toppletank

This game is just as stinkin' adorable as all of the progress WebM's make it out to be. The music is super fitting and cheerful as well.
I about died when I saw the jump animation for the tank. How perfect.

I think I remember you saying this was just a side project and you'd be going back to Sorcerobe, but I do have some feedback anyway.

I played with a keyboard, and I'm guessing playing with a joystick is the preferred method, because WASD was a bit weird. I think it's just the face that the tank moves relative to the world, NOT the camera, that made it feel weird. However, this is really the only way to do it, since the levels are laid out to support that 8-directional movement. Not game-breaking by any means, but it definitely takes some getting used to.

Maybe I was doing something wrong, but that big red blocky cannon kept shooting me into the underside of a platform and then I'd fall off the level and restart.

Also, whenever I would fire bullets, my framerate would tank. I have a pretty decent computer here, but since the bullets aren't an integral part of gameplay, it's not a huge deal.

Overall an awesome game. I really hope you work more on this, because the multiplayer demo you posted months ago looked like it would be so much damn fun.

10/10 would get molested by dice again

If jumping and climbing were on the same button, how would you jump off of ladders? I don't think I've played many games where those buttons are the same. I'm thinking like Megaman X, specifically.

hold W and D to jump right off the ladder, W and A to jump left. Just A or D to drop off the ladder right or left. It's way more intuitive in my opinion.

fuck those dice, though

At the Tier1 dev, dude your tutorial is god awful.
The ship is slow and immobile, the instructions are not very clear. Second time I got fed up with figuring out the controls/gameplay and just closed the game.

that is pretty depressing when i realize i have been posting here for over two years

rohit.itch.io/coal-ddx

Linux users, let me know how/if this works.

This was a great reminder that I need to run my game in release mode WAY more often.

Hm, I don't think I've ever played a game with those controls. That sounds super convoluted compared to just having a jump button, to me anyway.
I do appreciate your input, but I really think that having a dedicated jump button is probably what I'm gonna stick with.

tier1 is just a massive disappointment to me. he steadfastly refuses to add any kind of real time situational awareness mechanism to the game making it basically unplayable. you can be flying along at speed and run smack into the side of a capital ship you had no way of knowing was there. you can zoom way out to get an idea of whats around you but then you cant see your ship to play the game. its fucked.

Why are people uploading demos that aren't even games? Some of these look like you spent in 2 hours of GameMaker

kappa-kavi.itch.io/dumpling-adventure-prototype

Made a browser playable version because people got anxious about the installer.

I do have to say from the start that the game uses allot of shaders and needs webgl.
In the gamedescription is a guide on how to turn it on.
Currently Chrome is the only compatible browser.
Alternatively there is the super sketchy dangerous installer full of viruses and spalmware

hope its all set now

card tactix is a super cool concept why have i never seen progress for it before

what is this pedophile quest bullshit

This took longer than expected, but first progress on my life sim.

Dear devs: it's okay to have the same button do different things in different contexts by default, but for the love of god don't actually make "select" in the menu bind to the jump key, or "back" bind to the attack key. Let people bind that shit separately.

Oh, Unnamed pixel platformer uses the same Kevin Macleod music as my Master's thesis game. What a scary time that was for me.

Do I really need to know about arrays and parameters and recursion and shit if i just wanna make some games in C++

Yes.

yea
understanding recursion is more of a practice in programmatic thinking, you likely won't ever use it. It's important to know anyway.

Alrighty, next up is Endorous.

This game is pretty interesting. I like the gameboy-esque color palette, the movement is all deliberate and responsive, attacking feels powerful, so that's all well and good.

For a game that has so much trial/error, I'm not sure how I feel about the spacing of the checkpoints. If feels okay at first, but then I get to the black-knight looking dude with the spear, and I get spear'd, and then you're back doing all the dash puzzles and such again.
However, if you're going for a more punishing game, then the checkpoints are probably just fine.

I wasn't really sure how I was supposed to handle that projectile spitting frog thing a few rooms in. I couldn't seem to kill him without taking a hit.

Also, and I say this alot being someone who masters audio - unmodified BFXR sounds are painful. Don't get me wrong - I love BFXR, but if you don't normalize or equalize those sounds at all, they can be death for headphone users.

I'm interested to see where this game goes. It feels pretty solid and the art is really nice. Keep it up!

Yes. If you know none of those things then why are you using C++? Although those concepts are the basics of every C derived language

>you likely won't ever use it
Lots of things are more naturally recursive than iterative.

dude. Leave these as comments on the game page, so the dev knows you played their game and would in return leave feedback for your game.

itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-10/rate/84433

Reposting for new thread. Download includes Zero, who is not actually an official character yet, so enjoy.

>dude tie your opinions to your name and game lmao
>>>/reddit/

>tfw something would be easier with recursion but I'm too lazy to figure it out
>just iterate instead

>games that don't even have a title screen
Why bother uploading at all?

You kind of have to know how to do it to know that it's easier with recursion, frogposter.

>Linux users, let me know how/if this works.

Works for me, but the default mouse sensitivity is retarded. I'm also not seeing shadows on enemies.

>im bothered by no title screens in a gamedev forum
why bother coming here at all?

Endorous demo up.

spacebake.itch.io/endorous

update: Shortened game-over screen by a few seconds.

If you want your name in the credits, just beat the demo and follow the instructions it gives you.

I will be giving feedback for other demos throughout the day.

i don't think you belong here m8

I don't think it's possible to get past this part without getting hurt - and if it is, it's way to hard to do so.

I'd like to have a unique soundtrack, but I can't into music, so I picked something I felt fit my game well enough.

> gameboy-esque color palette

ehhh, slightly triggered. gb is monochrome.

FUCK, I was hoping players wouldn't let the monsters go up the ramp!

You can change the sensitivity is config.cfg under "sensitivity". I think the issue is that turning speed is tied to framerate. I'll have to fix that some day.

I turn off shadows on startup if an incomplete shadowmap framebuffer is made, but you can go to the console and enter "r_shadows 1" to try anyway. It might work.

Not endorousdev, but you can totally just dash twice to get by. It's not hard at all.

No. If the dev can't take 2 minutes and make a title screen, they don't deserve to be here.

>dash twice
oh...

Neat. What kind of sims will it be like. just the original?

Yeah no worries man, I always copy/paste these to the game page afterwards.

Next up is Monolith

Damn, what an awesome game. It's cool to see this game come together, and makes me a bit sad to see what can be accomplished with a good team, since I'm a 1MA guy.

The game feels good to play. Graphics are awesome, the art-style is just great. Difficulty feels about where it should be. It's pretty fair and strafing around dodging bullets feels pretty good.

The tone of the game threw me off a bit - visually, it looks very dark and moody, but the music and anything dealing with the MC is much cheerier. It's a bit weird, but not bad at all. Kind of gives you a feel of optimistic-explorer-in-a-world-gone-to-shit.

My only major complaint is with the balance in the audio. The visuals of weapons and explosions and such is super punchy, and in the WebM's you've posted, looks SUPER JUICY. Unfortunately, I don't feel like the sound effects do it justice. For the most part the music seemed to overwhelm everything, to the point where I barely even noticed some sounds.

I also had an issue (pic related) where I entered a room from the South, and the enemy in the pic spawned in the circle there, so I effectively was forced to take a hit as soon as I entered the room.

The first time I encountered a room with portals it took me awhile to figure out they were portals, since orange/firey things had been, up to that point, something that damaged me.

Otherwise, awesome game you guys have got. Judging by the two ships in the intro, is this game going to have co-op? That'd be awesome.

If you double tap the dash button, the second dash will begin as soon as the first ends.

The same goes for attacks.

It works like a que, if you try to do a dash or an attack, but are already in the middle of one, it will be executed as soon as the last one is finished.

Thanks for the feedback though, I'll be sure to try and make this clearer to the player in future.

>Kind of gives you a feel of optimistic-explorer-in-a-world-gone-to-shit.

you're way better than me at explaining why I wanted upbeat music for the first floor, user. thank you.

i like the feel of the combat and the art style is pretty sick but im too impatient to keep treking back at this point without a cute girl to stare at the entire time or some kind of story going on or something

No co-op, sadly. The extra ship serves... another purpose.

I'll investigate that death you had, it should be an easy fix.

>people are pirating Hopoo's game on Vita over here YESDEVS BLOWN THE FUCK OUT HAHAHA

Kinda, except I want to be more of an actual simulator than a dollhouse. Like, jobs are limited, no rabbit holes, one household doing something (like electing an asshole as a major) would affect other houses, the default clothes not looking like shit and stuff like that. It's still super early, so I'm not sure how far I'll go with it, but I'm having fun with it for now.

Cool, I figured that's what you guys were going for. The tone between the world and the player was so conflicting I figured it was intentional.

And no co-op?! That's too bad. Seriously awesome game though.

now that I've got the double dash down this is super fun
I agree with more check points, though
also maybe give mobs a chance to drop hearts

Yeah, I found the sensitivity setting.

>you can go to the console and enter "r_shadows 1" to try anyway. It might work.
I seem unable to open the console on my default (finnish) layout, probably because ~ is a so-called dead key. The shadows seem to work when manually enabled though.

So DDX was a complete failure. When's DD11?

After DD10.1

itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-10/rate/84370

what the FUCK is THIS

yeah, you didn't submit your game. fucking nodev

When is that?

I've been working on a small game for the past 3 months.

And I'll probably keep working on it for 3 months more.

At the end I won't release it. Nobody is ever going to know it existed. Anyone else does or did this?

I just have hello world and a static image right now. I don't think that qualifies a submission :(
I'm legitimately disappointed by the games though.

This is what everyone should do for their first 5 years of gamedev. Except change 6 months per game to 2-3 months.

if you made one of those games respond or be eternally known as whodevs to post on demo days for quick promotion

M4World and Ctesiphon aren't.

I recognize M4World, Rapid and Age of Sail as frequent posters (although Age of Sail always posts his progress from on the boat, so maybe that's why you don't recognize it)
maybe I'd recognize cookie quest if I saw actual gameplay - same with Ctesiphon