Stealth Van

What is the best platform for a stealth camper van.
Bonuses for :
AWD
Tall enough to stand it (or able to have a hightop)
Decent gas mileage
Dead reliable

Other urls found in this thread:

trucktrend.com/truck-reviews/163-0912-living-in-a-ford-transit-connect/
youtube.com/watch?v=X_yvEfCaLDI
rightdrive.ca/vehicle/1996-subaru-domingo-0855/
youtube.com/watch?v=bxAW8NmVFL8
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>decent gas mileage

If you mean over 20mpg city you're fucked

I always assumed it'd be one of those tall boxy delivery vans (like FedEx or UPS use) with some fake commercial livery to look inconspicuous. No AWD, but they should be somewhat reliable since they're work vehicles.

Mercedes Metris

I would be happy with 15 city and 18 - 22 hwy

You vmcant have it all unless you have retarded deep pockets.

Budget awd option is astro/safari
Budget stand up is any chevy/ford hightop class b trype van you can find.

Stand up in is hard for stealth.
Just buy an old bread truck for that.

Probably can't stand up straight but it definitely has the stealth factor, looks like a work truck. Reliability and fuel mileage would depend on the truck you use but at least you'd get real 4x4.

Some people use old ambulances as work trucks, not very stealthy for camping but lots of room inside and good reliability and really cheap ~$500.

Another idea, instead of an old delivery van, gut most of the equipment from an old roach coach or ice cream truck... then you have a roof vent and a window or two without looking obviously like an RV/motorhome. Plus, you'd have a fridge and some other amenities built already.

It'd be slow and mileage would probably suck, but there'd be load capacity to outfit whatever you may need. Seems like a good starting point for a fairly elaborate stealth camper conversion.

>real 4x4.

I have thought a lot about this. I do want to lift the van a bit and put some slightly larger BFGs on it , but I am not planning on doing anything like rock crawling with it.
Just want to be able to go up some rugged logging roads and stuff.
Real 4x4 with transfer case and whatnot costs a fortune and kills your gas mileage.

If you can afford it, Mercedes has been offering a factory 4x4 version of the Sprinter. It's like $50K for a bare bones cargo van though.

>Finance 30k RV
>get cheap plot in RV park
>total living costs under 800 a month
>Your home is a car

Joke:
...Imagine delivering pizza in an RV..

That 4x4 has not been out long and I would like to stay under 25k for van and materials.

buy a bus from a local school district surplus and convert it.

>buy de-commissioned ambulance at govt auctions
>restore to former ambulance glory
>dress like a paramedic
>park anywhere, get ignored by cops on interstate
success

Not stealthy. Like not at all. Anytime you see a decommissioned school bus parked on a street, you know what's up. You might as well use a proper RV at that rate.

well yeah, you have to cut all of the seats in half and leave the window facing portion, place child mannequins in the seat, and then put up false walls to make an interior.

Honestly, with that kind of budget, I would go truck and box trailer. Its plausible there would be a tinted window or two and an ac on top of a trailer with ACME landscaping on the side, as long as the rest looked legit.

Stealth never works unless you always move. Habits more than appearances tip people off

then get yourself in a very difficult situation when you're around an actual medical emergency and someone neglects to call an ambulance because you're there

>Stealth never works unless you always move. Habits more than appearances tip people off
Well yeah, stealth camping in one place for very long is near impossible. Stealth gets you a few nights at most without being noticed. If you try to use something obvious like a camper van or ratty old RV, you're likely to get hassled on the first night, though.

I stealth camp in a pic related and never get hassled .
I never do 2 nights in a row though and park just before bed and leave the spot pretty soon after waking up.
I have done this all over the country.

Ford quadravan or sportsmobile is about the most robust option, mpgs and stealth are lacking though
for true stealth a pickup with a flippac would be the best and offer tons of space.

What country?
What Budget?

>AWD
Don't be stupid.

>high top
>stealth

Sprinter is your only real option.

You can get a 4x4 conversion kit for a Ford E-350.

Gas sucks ass.

I stealth in my sportsmobile. Lifted, 4x4, bumpers, the works. It's amazing when you don't put the top up how many normies just see a van.

Getting a used quigley is way better than some budget 10k 4x4 slapped on. Also the engine in ford vans makes it really hard to have any up travel without a decent amount of lift. Makes for a shit ride.

This. Business on the outside, party on the inside.

chevy astro cargo awd
pretty easy to build out

i saw one at costco yesterday and it gave me a huge boner

AWD is pretty respectable as long as you are not into rock crawling.

You don't want or need power to the front wheels at all.
Vans already have decent ground clearance. Good set of tall skinny tires is all you need.
Maybe a switchable locker or LSD if your van has an open differential.

Making AWD or 4WD one of the requirements will limit your choices to exactly zero.

>he doesnt know about all the factory 4wd vans and converted vans

To wide for to be a van.

i stealth in one of these with good tint

you can't stand in it but it meets other points (4wd not awd)

If you don't need 4x4 you're doing it wrong.

>Veeky Forumsnormies don't have 4x4
>they never go any where is necessary
>they've never seen how much better it is
>still constantly post it's unnecessary

AWD will get you to 90% of the camping spots that 4x4 will get you and is much cheaper and gets much better gas mileage with lower maintenance costs

>awd
>literally neutered 4wd
you do realize literally the only difference between awd and 4wd is a center differential that 2/4wd rigs dont have, right?
maint is negligible between the two.
awd its useless and gets you about 30% farther than 2wd since itll just unload all the power to the front on a climb and slip

>itll just unload all the power to the front on a climb and slip
That has to be a very very steep climb, one that would toss all my camping shit everywhere.
30% more ? no way , my AWD astro went all sorts of crazy places.
The 4x4 guys were always amazed and underestimated it.

well you posted it

drive them to the hospital, ditch them on the road by the front doors and GTFO?

Ford Transit vans might be worth a look. Only you wouldn't be able to fully stand up in it and its not AWD, they get over 20 mpg.

trucktrend.com/truck-reviews/163-0912-living-in-a-ford-transit-connect/

i thought they come with AWD

Chevy astro. Everything else is too conspicuous to stealth camp. Including full size vans.

Get a truck and live inside it. Than get a trailer and deliver freight for money. It's called trucking I think.

Vw transporter t4 t5

>AWD
>in a fucking van
turning radius must be horrible in those things, it's not a GTR, RWD is ideal in vans

>camping spots

Ha ha ha, you probably pay to camp and don't even winter camp out anything.

>Anytime you see a decommissioned school bus parked on a street

Too many homeless camping out in front of other homes in beater vans and beater "work style" trucks already. The homeowners don't like it and hate the garbage anonymously dumped in their yards. That's how the homeless force the homeowners to take care of the trash by dumping it "anonymously" onto peoples' properties.

The campers avoid the 72 hour law by moving their vehicle 16 feet (one foot over 15 feet requirement) and before 72 hours is up. So they sort of move back and forth in front of your curb on the street. Legally, the homeowners have no recourse. The car prowl crime rate and break-ins also goes up.

Some homeowners tried thinking outside the box and shooting the tires out with high-powered pellet guns. That only increased the crime rate because the homeless would steal similar tires/wheel from the neighborhood to replenish their flat tires.

>What is the best platform for a stealth camper van.

I admire your hobby. Sometimes I want to do things like that too just like the old days. But the homeless problem has made stealth camping a difficult hobby to have. It's neat to travel places, camp out, and then go back home eventually.

But now everywhere is clogged up with homeless doing the same idea. Because of that, the property owners are going to harass you and the police will try to get you to move out. Many, but not most, will allow cars to park on a public street that allows parking. However, the police are able to legally harass people if they have a complaint filed by a homeowner. While they still can't move you, the complaint is enough to allow them to take you to the police station for a senior officer to question you. After a brief and mostly fake questioning, they release you outside the police station and now you have to walk back to your stealth camper van. If they do that every day, camping becomes too tedious and unfun. That method is tough on the homeless though. It's not always done because the homeless have revenge tactics. So it is like having a "legal terrorist" living in your neighborhood where both sides are afraid of the other and thus some homeowners don't take more bold steps since their identity (and thus house address) are known to the angry vengeful homeless.

Correct me if I´m wrong, but isn´t overnight parking allowed, for RVs, at many Wal-Marts?

OP, googling "van dwelling" might give you some ideas. Also Vandweller´s(old time namefag) old threads might still be found somewhere.

toyota previa

youtube.com/watch?v=X_yvEfCaLDI

>that R. Lee Ermey in the beginning

gunny/10

just as good.

Not much room in that for sleeping and cooking.

I have done a lot of stealth camping in my westfalia but now want a bit more room.
Walmarts are good in a pinch when you first roll into town or are pulling off the interstate at midnight but they are not fun places to hang out .
I like to stealth near really cool places when I am not in national forests.
It is true that some places like the california coast are getting really shitty about it but the high end westy always seems to give me a pass.
I hope I am not giving this up going to an AWD american van..

It's a box truck.

buy one of these, convert into a small living space, 35mpg, AWD, reliable, the only real sacrifice is living space,

fuck id daily drive this thing if i had the money

rightdrive.ca/vehicle/1996-subaru-domingo-0855/

>rightdrive.ca/vehicle/1996-subaru-domingo-0855/
Americans are not allowed to have that

really? thats brutal, ive been thinking about financing a daihatsu mira for 130 bucks a month, but im not sure if financing a 1996 vehicle is a good idea, even with the 3 year warranty,

>with some fake commercial livery to look inconspicuous

Better yet, some antennas and dark glass windows to make it look like it might be a surveillance vehicle.

that in no way looks stealthy

i wish i could show you guys my work truck because its literally the perfect stealth vehicle due to ultra low clearences even with an 8footer on top

Jesus , check out this one.

Love the electric bed.

youtube.com/watch?v=bxAW8NmVFL8

Sorry I don't have an oppressive government, sociopathic city councils, undemocratic ordinances and trigger happy cops, so I don't know what stealth camping is. I'm legally allowed to camp anywhere that isn't private property, and can do so without fear of being shot or jailed. Too bad I'm not as "free" as you Americans.

t. Swede

what does it mean to 'stealth camp'?

Chevy Astro

Actually, if you lay the back seat flat, you can put a mattress from the passenger seat to the gate, then on the driver side where the mounted spare is, you put your hot-plate and food storage. Along the roof rails, you can put black PCV pipes with a spigot to create a solar hot water tank that can hold enough for showers and cleaning.

Basically a classic Cherokee can do anything with a little modification.

Believing you actually need 4x4 is basically nothing more than a meme used to sell you options at this point.
Like how Americans believe they need power windows, or air conditioning.

The only time you need 4x4 is for doing things you shouldn't be doing.

>camping
noob

your country is an international joke you cuck

not a single good car ever came out of sweden

Most 4x4s never even once get engaged

Would that be the same non oppressive Government that is forcing you to accept and pay for millions of trash people to come shit up the place.

I love sweden but the liberal politics would make me crazy.
Swedes are some of the best humans.

How so?
You dont like camping?

shit isnt there a higher res photo?

It's illegal to go off-roading, though. At least in Norway, not sure how it is for you guys.

Be a bum

i use 4x4 a lot, just because you don't go places doesn't mean nobody does

Is your hobby offroading?
If so then yes you need 4x4. If you are just trying to get to a campsite or trailhead then AWD is plenty.

>not a single good car ever came out of sweden
u wot m8

Unfortunately no I can't find any. Those came from the blog of the guy who did the conversion and they were obviously once higher res based on the text he added.

He kept it pretty stock on the outside other than adding the obvious deer smasher and not so obvious 4-corner security cameras.

>$11500 for a 1996 64k km 3cyl
lmao what the fuck

Lots of dudes put doors on the side but I strongly prefer the building a porch/"outdoor storage" area just inside the rolling door with a real entry door. Not only is it cool as fuck to have a porch it also is space for your dirty shit if you're a clean freak like you could even have a motorcycle back there rather than loltowing a fucking additional minivan. Also in previous threads I've come to find lots of Anons are actually huge pussies so this kind of construction is pretty much as secure as possible. If I were doing it I'd use a tent camper in the bed of my Ram but apparently that's not nigger resistant enough. The box truck represents the ultimate nigger resistance plus relative inconspicuousness and it even offers the same bonus headroom for us tallfags.

>what is towing?
>what is snow and mud?
>what is towing through snow and mud?

you're happy with your awd, dude

i get it

>Towing in 4wd
Guess how I know you don't tow with a 4x4?

it's selectable

i tow with rwd unless through snow and mud

So you are saying that the extra cost of 4x4, plus the diminished gas mileage, plus the higher cist of maintenance plus the higher insurance cost is all worth to tow in mud and snow?
Just wait a day for the snow plow to come.

its collectible user

>what is towing?
Something you don't do in 4x4

>what is snow and mud?
If you can't get there in 2wd you need chains. Chains for snow are better than 4x4 any day.
If the snow is soft, ground clearance and tall tyres are what really matters.

Off road tyres and 4x2 will get you trough mud.

You are not Russian.
If you are driving a van, and go trough deep mud or deep snow you are 100% doing it on purpose.
That's the difference between needing something, and justifying it trough a hobby.

Also, I wouldn't go for AWD either because that basically means the Chevy Astro.
The low ground clearance isn't worth the tradeoff for power to the front wheels.

The Agera R and One:1 would like a word.

Why shouldn't i buy a Kei van and live in it

Go for it.
The interior on modern ones is basically as big as an 8' x 4' sheet of ply.
You can sort out a bed, seat, and cabinets in that space easy.

ive never even heard of that

>not a single good car ever came out of sweden

You're right, only the best cars did.

Pretty
Pretty
Boxy

How can it be the best if its not even in the top three wagons of the era.