/mcg/ - Minecraft General

traps aren't gay

Previous thread: We discuss minecraft, minecraft packs, projects, seeds, building ideas...
Share server stories and keep the screenshots coming, we want to see more builds!
If you develop mods or anything Minecraft related, keep us updated so we can give feedback.
Don't spam your server or discord here; use the list from the link below to advertise it.

>==[Links]====[News]==

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/jeb_/status/774228055132889088
play0ad.com/media/building-concepts/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

1st for Greg did nothing wrong.

so this is a pro-gregtech general now?

mod taste is purely subjective

but gregtech is filled with unnecessary tedium passed off as 'autism'

Lucky number 7

>notice how Traincraft ores take a fuckton of time to mine
>check BlockProperties, their hardness is the same as other ores
>but they're missing the tool data for pickaxes so they treat any tool as using your hand on stone or something
Reposting here in case anyone feels like opening an issue in the Traincraft rep. Until then, you can just use BlockProperties yourself to fix that by copying parts of the json for Thermal Foundation ores.

>not TRAINS edition
fucking faggot

I'm want to try to design my own mob grinder, but I'm retarded at redstone. How can I make a dispenser flush my spawn platforms with water every minute or so?

Use a piston instead.

You don't know tedium until you've tried to gather and process enough chrome for a second oil refinery.

A piston to control water flow? Even then, how could I make it toggle every minute while I afk? I want to drop water in the middle of a 14x14 diamond shaped platform, so the water goes to the very edge off every block without spilling and pushes mobs off, down to the collection area below.

As a timer, use long row of repeaters arranged in a loop with a redstone torch to close the loop. A repeater on max has a delay of 4/10 of a second.

Instead of using water to collect the mobs, have you considered exploiting the fact that mobs will step onto an open trapdoor and fall through it, regardless of height? If you don't use water, you get to collect endermen too.

I'd thought that, but I read recent updates make mobs not wander so much

still ded

I was going to bump but chose not to because I wanted to make a trein edition
rip treins

Conveyor belts?
Fans?

>when you're just fucking around, making stupid things like bucket roundabouts

not letting it die yet

always was
a few loud trolls usually came in during the weekends (when school is out?) to create the illusion of mcg being anti-gregtech

>always was

Now that is simply incorrect, my friend.
it wasn't ALWAYS well received, I'd say it became more well received around gt-4 or 5, I am not sure since I am not a greg fan myself, but there was definitely a majority anti-greg sentiment when the mod was becoming popular due to the crackpack modpack.

What do those roundabouts actually do, again? Are they just like a conveyor corner block?

But what if I don't like grinding and tedium?

They're 2 IE bottlers back to back. I'm just supplying them with power so the buckets go round and round, without ever actually filling them

ayy

Traincraft won't make 1.7.10 any less dead.

trainfags didn't seem to have a problem with their fossilized 1.6.4.

>1.1x
>people are still playing 1.7 and even 1.6
You guys...

>people should be playing the most recent version
>you guys
>…

>not playing 1.2.5

what are some good mods for 1.10.2

Yeah, no. It's not even about performance at this point, it has been proven that 1.10 runs better and almost perfectly on most systems without any mods.
I know there are a lot of 1.7 mods out there but people just refuses to even try to update their shit.

.. though we can probably blame the modding community, and Lex, for that.

twitter.com/jeb_/status/774228055132889088

Mojang's anti-mob-farming autism kicking in again. They love killing anything people come up with to make the game enjoyable.

>1.10 vanilla, which no one gives a flying fuck about runs better and almost perfectly
>more elipses

>it has been proven
[citation needed]

A lot of people say 1.10 runs way worse and takes way more memory. For modded, that's a huge negative.

>without any mods

Go on and try to run All the Mods and see how well it works. Just see how much memory you need for that pack.

I say this as someone who is currently playing and enjoying 1.10.2, when mods are involved, it becomes a LOT more intensive, especially on low ram systems since now the reccomended ram for a kitchen sink pack is anywhere from 4 to 6 gigs of ram.

I had to allocate like 9 to play comfortably.

for me it runs better but it heats up my CPU way too much

sort
out
your
cooling

>new, inferior version that adds nothing of value
>HAY Y U GUISE NOT PLAYAN THIS ONE?
grum, please.

its a laptop

gregtech has the same functionality, mainly as an anti-lag mechanism for overfilled animal farms
but like everything else it's fully configurable (I tend to bump it up a bit from the default)

I assume it will be totally non-configurable in vanilla and 1.11+ players will have to get yet another mod to change it back

that happens when a dev team's idea of improvement is adding thousands more line of code

i am now mad

>take apart
>make new case for it out of fridge

Most of minecraft is literally bloat and artifacts.
Apparently.

It kind of makes sense from a server performance point of view.

Wrong.

I dont have tools

Use benis

it's imposing a restriction on something that hasn't been a problem in 5 years though. leave it to mojang to fix something that isn't broken.

hypixel must have asked them for it. literally everything mojang adds is to benefit them anymore.

oh shit, sorry
my brain totally skipped over that it was a gamerule
I just saw it as "25+ entities in a spot will suffocate"

1.10 vanilla runs better than 1.7, but 1.10 with Forge runs worse, much worse than 1.7 with Forge. Many people complaining about 1.10 performance are strictly modded players.

You guys realize what this means, right? Minecraft is now going to be actively monitoring and counting how many mobs are in one area. There's no way that such a task can be accomplished without constantly doing bounding box comparisons of all nearby entities, affecting performance as just as much or worse than just having lots of mobs.

>it's imposing a restriction on something that hasn't been a problem in 5 years though

Entities in Minecraft aren't coded very efficiently. On large servers, it can quickly become a problem.

For the sake of statistic, one Minecart (which is an entity without any real AI) lags as much as twenty BuildCraft pipes, both just sitting there doing nothing.

>Many people complaining about 1.10 performance are strictly modded players
who, coincidentally, make up most of this general.
And are also the only people that really matter.

anybody familiar with advanced generators? is it fun?

The question is whether it suffocates all the mobs, or just the additional ones. The former would be monumentally stupid for mob farms, the latter merely a minor hindrance promoting building bigger farms if anything.

Also, they could just be caching approximate coordinates (block coordinates) and storing a map of where they are in the world. That'd be a lot more efficient, however I don't believe that, seeing as most of the lag of dropped items is them counting in bounding box comparisons even though their bounding box size is {0, 0, 0}. (Notably, that's fixed by CoFHCore - yes, Core - on 1.7.10)

Even the most optimistic statistics I'm aware of say that at most 25% of Java version players use mods - and that's any mods, like OptiFine, cheats or minimaps, not just Forge.

By the way,

>A notable gameplay change is that shields (when fully raised) block 100% melee damage instead of 66%

This may actually make the 1.9 combat changes more useful for a change.

no

>implying that accessing dozens of maps is any more efficient than bounding box comparisons

There's no efficient way to do it. We'll just have to remember to turn it off from now on.

How about we wait until next week's snapshot to see how it's done? POMF has snapshot mappings.

It's as if you think Mojang will surprise us and do it in some way that none of us can imagine, when the reality is that they'll likely do it far worse.

Which would still be a surprise!

Their integer->object list/map implementations, however, are on par in performance with the leading libraries for the same purpose. There's still hope.

>I hate being raped but their dick is pretty average so at least it probably won't hurt as much!

>There's still hope

Worst-case, we'll get another FastCraft. In fact, Player is working on one as we speak.

by the time you have prot4 diamond armor, you don't even need a sheild, you can facetank arrows and zombies pretty reliably. Even moreso considering you can just offhand some steak and regen from it swiftly (though I am recalling they are going to nerf healing a bit in 1.11, right?)

>I know there are a lot of 1.7 mods out there but people just refuses to even try to update their shit.

That's because the changes from 1.7 to 1.8 and beyond are so huge it's actually less effort to re-write your whole mod from scratch. You know, your mod, which took a full year's worth of all of your free time to write in the first place.

Sounds like it's less IO-bound, which means there's less time where code is waiting to run, which means the CPU spends more time active (since code is running more often).

can i fix this or did mojang fuck up

What the fuck is Mojang's design philosophy? They're just adding gimmick mobs and command block features, and that's all they've been doing for three years.

>had trouble booting 1.10 mods
>booted 1.9.4
im retarted

>this looks cool, let's add that
>a good goy requested this feature, let's add that
>get rid of all notchcode
etc.

All of the stuff these performance boosters offer is already done by Mojang now. FastCraft in particular has always been snake oil, designed around fixing a Forge bug that Player kept a secret for a long fucking time until Skyboy found it. Lex then quietly submitted Skyboy's fix under his own name when he realized he had been the cause of 1.7.10 being miserably slow.

Player obfuscates FastCraft for a reason, and that's because he doesn't want plebs to realize it's all about free Curse bucks. Even Optifine still does more than FastCraft.

b-b-ut it helps for me

>Fabric is coming out for 1.10.2
>almost none of my favorite mods are ported to it yet

help me, end my suffering

You fucked up by not having a good enough CPU fan, user. You can fix it by underclocking your machine.

>underclocking
no

>Even the most optimistic statistics I'm aware of say that at most 25% of Java version players use mods
That's actually a pretty high number, senpai. I like that number

>Bethesda noted that only eight percent of Skyrim players have ever used a mod

Your other option is to keep letting your CPU get hot. It's not Mojang's "fault" that they use as much available CPU cycles as possible, that's actually to their credit, that's what you're supposed to do as a programmer.

Would you rather have computer programs that artificially slow themselves down (basically underclocked PROGRAMS) so that the CPUs of people with shitty systems don't get hot?

fastcraft's only been on curse since march though, joke's on you.

I found the problem
fucking skype
pushing temps up to 63 C

great world gen

>changeable/disableable gamerule
I don't see the problem here. it's a CONFIG OPTION, instead of a hard-coded MUH VISION.
while I'd agree it's stupid and people would disable it by default, it's nowhere near as obnoxious as the usual shit dinnerbong forces to make the game suck more.

>it's not mojang's fault they're coding poorly and requiring the end user to seek outsidfe means of compensating for it
do you read what you post before you post it?

You need to turn on cheats to deactivate it tho

and?
Is that actually a problem?

Yes.

The reason user's CPU is heating up is literally the opposite of coding poorly.

What user is saying is like "Oh, since they got rid of the potholes, cars can go really fast without having a bumpy ride, so they do go really fast. Now the road is really noisy, because I'm an idiot and live four inches from the road and leave my windows open. The workmen made the road shitty by getting rid of the potholes! What assholes!"

this is what's wrong with Mojang. Fixing problems that are NOT. PROBLEMS.

I'm not a game designer. I'm not a programmer. My skills lie in networking and server administration. I've been playing games since I was a kid. This problem, as someone that PLAYS games and troubleshoots and mods and shit, I would look into 'Why are there so many mobs in this area?'

and obviously looking into 'why does Thing happen?' they'd discover, OH, Minecraft has a lot of RNG drops which you need to do shit. These drop from mobs, which spawn in dark areas like mob spawners which are built to nullify the problem of RNG drops by having massed mobs to kill. holy fucking wow batman that was so hard to make those facts connect together.
bump up item drops from minimum 0 to minimum 1, increase effectiveness of the Looting enchantment. Done, wait and see how it plays out.

but no their response is to make a fucking counter that tracks how many mobs are in a block. fucking brilliant, there's no way that could possibly be less performant than 40 mobs in one block.

>not having cheats on

Smart move, being the administrator of your world and not having the tools you need in emergency situations. Inb4 "I have no self control so if i have cheats on I am literally going to use them to cheat"

that said, even if you are a dumdum like you who doesn't think ahead for worse case situations, you can always just open lan and turn on cheats then, even if your world has cheats disabled.

Why do they call commands cheats anyway, that give a legitimate and important tool such a negative and easy to shitpost cannotation.

I stumbled upon the website of 0 A.D. A game to the likes of Age of Empires. Their artwork gallery is a goldmine of inspiration.

play0ad.com/media/building-concepts/

>play new version with little-no meaningful mods and get essentially the same performance
>play old version with all the great mods and keep the same frames I've had for forever

hmmmm

Hellenes port.

Persian town center.

don't use mariculture and RTG then. it's a known bug for like, six months.

maybe you should make your own version of those mods for Fabric then, user

Iberian fortress.

the perspective and building style is giving me warcraft 2 flashbacks.

which would also make for some good building inspiration

Last one: Roman town center.

This is giving me feels again ;_;

Yeah not using RTG fixed it

Holy fuggg my nostalgia

Lots of cobblestone and grass blocks in this one.

Fabric is currently targetting 16w33a, not 1.10.2. It is also not too usable and may never be.

Maximum comfy! :3

asie I order you to stop being depressed.