/agdg/ - Amateur Game Dev General

DDX Ongoing.
Post games, play games, leave feedback.

>Current Demo Day (X)
itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-10

>Next Game Jam (Lewd -- Blueboard rules still apply)
itch.io/jam/lewd-jam-2016

>Lewd Jam Collabs
docs.google.com/document/d/1K9wlzcJntyOCV3KLvRcvllZ2ZUnGgrDtiwPdMLlw5XQ/edit?usp=sharing
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Sm0Pxz0uq-62L46TdXmKisynbhLI_by-pLNlcgo4B8M/edit?usp=sharing

Helpful Links: tools.aggydaggy.com/# (Still in beta)
New Threads: Archive: boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/agdg/
AGDG Logo: pastebin.com/iafqz627

>Previous Demo Days
pastebin.com/X6fLvtzA

>Previous Jams
pastebin.com/qRHNpCbZ

>Chats
steamcommunity.com/groups/vgamedevcrew
webchat.freenode.net/?channels=vidyadev

>Engines
GameMaker: yoyogames.com/gamemaker
Godot: godotengine.org/
Haxe: haxeflixel.com/
LÖVE: love2d.org/
UE4: unrealengine.com/what-is-unreal-engine-4
Unity: unity3d.com/

> Models/art/textures/sprites
opengameart.org/
blender-models.com/
mayang.com/textures/

> Free audio
freesound.org/browse/
incompetech.com/music/
freemusicarchive.org/

Other urls found in this thread:

mondev.itch.io/swordnboard
github.com/digiholic/universalSmashSystem
discord.gg/9HuUn
boreal.aggydaggy.com/programming/2016/05/25/mean-clean-state-machine.html
strawpoll.me/11188022
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

my game will make all of your waifus real

Any devs want their demo streamed?

lewd is life

That OP pic made me remember, did anyone here unlocked the secret costumes on the idol bunny game?

>implying bunnydev is the next sean murray

>your face will never be a meme in an agdg op pic

A plan I have is to use gamemaker to make simple quick games occasionally, while using monogame to work on my actual long-term projects.

I did but I had to edit the code.

mondev.itch.io/swordnboard
There I added pictures on my phone, please download now I have a wife and children

>windows only
ok

Repostan for new thread. What would you like to see first from Project TUSSLE?

>Fix framerate issues for lower CPU power
>Bots
>Online play
>Fix/Finish the visual character builder
>Add more code-free character builder options, such as tether recovery, charge specials, etc. for custom fighters to use without needing to use code
>Add more fighters and stages from existing properties (where art assets exist)
>Add item functionality.

Fast user!!! post here your game source code, for sharing with another anons like me.

What the fuck were you planning to run it on? An arduino???

Todd is an amateur.

github.com/digiholic/universalSmashSystem

Does the general have a discord?

yes
discord.gg/9HuUn

Thanks lad.

I have been stuck a couple days,thinking what else to add, haven't thought of anything yet. Got some already implemented stuff to finish up. and blah...

Go on an idea walk

Is the game finished?

pretty much,maybe a week our two finishing a few things, but most of it is there. And all planned out.

JOIN THE DISCORD NOW

oh thx, I just thought of some stuff to add. I guess talking about it.

I am too shy to talk to any of you in a chat environment.

wtf is an ecs? how do I make one?

Today's progress: A custom pixely font, and some new screen resolutions including glorious 1080p. Now to make an options menu.

lowercase g is messed up, will fix that

Guys how can i find a girl to work to me as model? I'm thinking on pay a slut to make that work, do you think normal girls would want to work as model for me?
I'm trying to find femenine girls but it's pretty hard to me to find a femenine girl this day.

ask rotate.

but really, just ask your skinny facebook friend.

Pay a whore to model for you.

If you know any good looking girls which of course you dont you fucking creep you could ask them.

Why do you need a model?

paint me like, one of your french girls.

I like your game, it looks neat, not my kind of game though.

should I have a little test room in the key rebinding screen so that the player can immediately test their new key rebindings?

>your white fuckboi friend
fixed

sure.

try to see clothe physics pattern which ill make to my characters looks more femenine.
I've tried to look in youtube for femenine but all the results are videos about dykes with jeans talking about feminist.

You've already decided haven't you?

I personally only change key bindings while in game. So this would only take longer.

it took forever, and it doesn't look good but it'll do for now. too lazy to add bouncy arms/head rn.

I mean, if there's a reason nobody else does it that I don't know about

It's not a bad sprite work tbqh, you just need to animate the rest of the body

this

Dumpling dev here , feeling super demotivated but did make this animation to practice animating more elaborate motions.
the sword is placeholder to see how it works when u layer the weapon as a seperate sprite.

this isn't for a project

Looks excellent. Needs a bit more on the follow through with the stick though, otherwise it'll look a bit stiff.

I have a main menu now. I hack it by rendering a single frame of the "menu map" to a texture before switching to rendering menu elements on top of that texture.

Why do they jump after swinging down?

>feeling super demotivated
How? Why? If I could animate like you do I would be motivated and animating 24/7

So with a state machine like boreal.aggydaggy.com/programming/2016/05/25/mean-clean-state-machine.html
How do I tell which state I'm currently in? Like I want to say "if player.state == X_STATE"

Going out for an errand. Please keep the /v/ thread bumped :)

run time type information

ecs is a meme, just use oop like a real programmer

Ok

ecs dee xDD

>your white fuckboi friend
Mmm. Video games and creamy skinned estrogen popping girlboys.

I'm not the guy who wrote it but you generally shouldn't care what the state is from other parts of your code. Instead you probably want your states to be responsible for the behaviors or for setting some other piece of data that they will access. For example if you had some input code you wouldn't check there that the player was in GAMEPLAY_STATE or something and instead that state either enables or calls that system.

Also its pretty cool to see that the author revised his article after our discussion way back when. If you are here man consider this: if we added an option in the pause menu to switch to either battle or overworld how would you propose accomplishing it in the system?

The slow up-swing makes it look like she's swinging something really heavy, like a club, but then the quick stab makes it look like she's holding something light, like a rapier.

Is it a bad idea to do #[famous game similar to mine] tags on tumblr?

so how could it be improved ?

learn me you skills pls

Yes, I hate when people do that.

It might make you succesful but you're basically asking people to call your game a clone.

Geno

Make the up-swing faster?

I'm confused by the first swing. All the power in it just disappears.

what program is dis

aseprite.
someone posts the builds on reddit for free if you want it.

toon boom

Aseprite

ECS is where you treat your game world like a table in a database.
>Entity == row
>Component == column
>System == database query
That's it. That's the whole idea.

There are two reasons to use an ECS architecture. The first is if you have lots of different kinds of entities and you want some behavior to be shared between them, in a way that's hard to model with inheritance (let's be honest, inheritance is a really bad tool for this). The second is if you're doing a lot of time-sensitive updates. If both of these don't apply, you should first consider some other way of structuring your code, like the Actor model, or events and responders.

ECS is not easy to learn. It's counterintuitive for a lot of things. It doesn't pay off unless you're using it at the lowest level of your engine... And you shouldn't be writing an engine in the first place.

thank u famslice

ecs? more like secs lol

I think it's worth pointing out that not everything goes in the same table.

>120 joined
>57 entries

>salt and sanctuary
holy shit is this some sort of dishwasher clone?

that's better than normal

Why wouldn't it?

don't despair, there's still time!

what free software is best for making textures? GIMP? Paint.net?

Having a lot of empty entries in your "table" makes for inefficient "queries" as well as wasted space.

so I just picked up Unity and made my way through the roll-a-ball tutorial. Good times! Where should I go from here, tutorial wise? I was thinking the survival shooter one.

Also are there any free or cheap assets on the asset store that are extremely useful? Rain AI looks pretty solid.

Microsoft word

>tfw no gf to dev with
This is true suffering

Don't fall for the marketplace. It's a crutch for people who just want to shit out mediocre products.

It can also be incredibly useful though

As far as I can tell pretty much anyone who post progress regularly has uploaded his game, so I am not sure what is exactly your problem. Would you prefer it to sift through dozens of whoDev games to find /agdg/ content?

I wonder why they even bothered to join the jam at all.

I figured as much.Damn. The only thing I'm really looking for is stuff that would actually be useful and save time -- like if there's a really decent and robust, customizable AI or dialogue system for tenbux I'd probably go for that. But if they're all trash then I'll just make it myself

Alright, that makes sense. I needed to know when the player entered the dead state is why. Also I'm using Godot, so I guess I could just emit a signal when the player dies so other parts of the code can just connect to that.

I do hope he's still around and will make more tutorials, this one was helpful.

strawpoll.me/11188022
strawpoll.me/11188022
strawpoll.me/11188022

The marketplace (just like Unity) has a bad reputation because of scrubs.

Obviously it isn't all terrible.

who fucking cares?

My game's character has no gender. Would my game get more attention if I called the character a girl?

How do we feel about the game design things extra credits guy talks about on youtube? Anyone got any other people they recommend talking about game design and best practices?

a game that forces you to learn about 'stuff'

I see what you mean. But just because your World is one giant logical "table" doesn't mean you're wasting space when some entities don't have some components. In a typical ECS framework, each component manager is in charge of storing one type of component, and allocating storage only for entities that actually have that component. Most component managers will use a hashmap internally, and even for components that almost every entity is expected to have, the backing store will be broken up into multiple arrays based on some notion of a "generation" (ie. time of creation) that can be easily encoded in the entity ID itself. Read up on the Bitsquid/Stingray engine, for example.