I have low-ish compression in a couple cylinders. Should I run some Seafoam through my engine?

I have low-ish compression in a couple cylinders. Should I run some Seafoam through my engine?

No, you should get a better car.

No, you should save up for a different car, because if you're clueless enough to think that seafoam might fix low compression you're clueless enough that you won't be able to fix this and should get a different car.

>be low compression engine
>get seafoam
>now i'm a no compression engine

laughed harder than i should have

i dont think it will help your compression but it cleaned the carbon deposits out of my car, id recommend it but i would not use it too often also get the spray.

The carbon deposits are giving you more compression

Your car is fucked either way. Do it and take pictures to share here for the keks

Yes because the smoke show it's going to put on will be awesome.

Replace your piston rings and valve stem seals and see if that works it could have a blowby or a gasket leak buudy

Yeah, seafoam is a great thing for cleaning injectors and carbs and engine build up, but you need to see a mechanic bud-- it won't help with low compression.

Try new piston rings or take it to a reliable mech.

Sorry dude. How do you know you have low compression in some cylinders??

My mechanic did a compression test. He suggested I use some oil additive that is supposed to help. I was just wondering if cleaning out the engine was a good idea at this point.

If anything, Seafoam will get rid of some carbon that was slightly increasing your compression, making it even worse. Don't do it.

There is an additive called Engine Restore. Comes in a silver can and is really blue. Goes in the motor oil, best to add after an oil change. It's been proven to work temporarily.

Thank you, that is basically what I was asking.

I believe that is what he was talking about.

your mechanic is an idiot.

Elaborate.

there is nothing you can add to your oil that will fix your compression issue.

Well no shit it won't fix the problem, but it's supposed to help a little. I'm finding a shitton of success stories with it in my engine.
Fucking bus riders.

bus rider?

my cars arent pieces of shit with compression problems

youll be the bus rider soon if you put shit in your oil thinking it will fix your issue

fucking idiot

Highly unlikely to help, only slightly likely to hurt anything (might give you less compression, but if thats the case the engine was already on its last legs). So give it a try, maybe theres some gunk on the valves it can clear off. (Put 2/3 can in intake, 1/3 can in oil, drive a little bit, change oil )

You have low compression because somewhere in thevery cylinder there is a leak. Now really think about this....did you? Okay good. Now how in the actual fuck do you think an oil additive is going to fix a low compression issue?

>Both the piston rings and cylinders have small "peaks and valleys" on their surfaces which are continually sliding over each other at a high rate of speed. Normally the motor oil maintains a fluid hydrodynamic boundry layer separating the two metal surfaces, but sometimes the oil film breaks down and allows the "peaks" of the metal surfaces to collide. When this happens the peaks instantly weld together from intense heat and friction, then shear off from the metal surfaces producing microscopic wear particles. RESTORE repairs worn out areas in the cylinder walls to improve the seal between piston rings and cylinder walls.

Throw a turbocharger on, that should raise your compression.

You tell me how this works. Because from every bit of experience in have had with that shit..let me tell you that's about 20 years experience. This shit does nothing but piss your neighbors off and cause more problems. The only thing I recommend seafoam for is an additive for fuel system.

I was going to say to put some oil in the cylinders and re do the compression test.
If it gets better then your rings need replaced, if it stays the same then it's your valves.

But I think those are flat fours, so...

Turn it sideways and do 2 cyls at a time I suppose.

>probable busted rings,valves,gasket, cylinder wall
>the only thing that probably keeps some compression is the carbon filth crammed in the gaps
>hurrr guys gon run dem seafoams through dis'un durrr

I'm like 99% sure this is bait. also OP you fag give us the specific compression results cause differences between cylinders are normal and as long as the difference between the highest compression and the lowest isn't bigger than 10% than you are fine

*then

I'm reminded of a story...

>have car which smokes out the entire intersection if I'm stopped for more than a minute
>buy motor honey
>from that day on the car would bellow out a thick, blueish white cloud of smoke ten thousand times worse than it ever did

I'm not sure about other brands, but if you value not dying of carbon monoxide poisoning, never use motor honey.

Low compression? All you need to do is get an electric air compressor and replace your air intake with it. It will compress the air, like a turbo giving you better compression in the chamber.

There's a shelf in every parts store that has sea foam, engine restore, stp, etc. Avoid that shelf and save yourself some money.

What if I just put my hands on either side of the engine and squeeze it really hard?

Clearly you don't grasp how engines work at all...

I also, laughed way harder than I should have

then you compress the entire engine, that will conform you piston rings to the bore and end your compression issues

For sure. Hold it at 5k rpm while you pour the seafoam in.

>RESTORE defies the laws of physics and magically adds metal back on to your piston rings and cylinder bores. Better yet it does this by only targeting these areas and not gunking up your whole entire engine with its space age cylinder ring targeting technology built in to the molecules.

Dude. Come the fuck on. Do you also have one of those vortex generators on your intake and the little capacitor you plug in to your cigarette lighter that "improves" your fuel mileage. Your mechanic is an idiot (they are all, thats why they are wrench monkeys) and you are being taken for a fool. This is like homeopathy for cars.

>cleaning throttle body
>its actually pretty gross
>seafoam is suggested
>spray seafoam in it
>didn't have engine running
>car won't start
>car still won't start
>clink clink CLUNK
>ENGINE HAS STARTED
>ENGINE IS SHAKING VIOLENTLY
>giant cloud engulfs neighborhood
>drive car to get it away from kind citizens of wherever
>giant smoke demon follows me everywhere i go
>lightheaded rest of the day
yup. shoulda read the bottle.

So much this. As though a liquid can become lucid then locate and fix only worn areas becoming hardened metal in the process. How can they even advertise this shit?

Was just about to post somehting along those lines, but you put it way more beautifully than I could have.

Seafoam - "And to the Sea it shall return!"

>the little capacitor you plug in to your cigarette lighter that "improves" your fuel mileage
kek I forget about that fucking thing

Do it, then drive really fast and crash into a crowd of people live stream it!