Best truck for 25-30K?

So, I'm a car guy but I know shit about trucks. I am looking to buy a crew cab soon, but I'm feeling overwhelmed by all the different choices.

Between the 2013 F150, Silverado 1500, and RAM 1500, is there a clear winner?

I want something rugged and reliable. I don't care about speed or max towing capacity. I want a truck that I can pass down to my son in 20 years.

I don't want an Ecoboost, but is the regular v8 a better choice than flex fuel?

Any opinions would be appreciated. Right now I'm leaning towards a 5.0 F150.

Other urls found in this thread:

truecar.com/used-cars-for-sale/listing/3GCPKTE70DG185975/2013-chevrolet-silverado-1500/
ebay.com/itm/Ford-F-250-4x4-DIESEL-/262514388888?forcerrptr=true&hash=item3d1f13af98:g:OUgAAOSw41xXPS~Y&item=262514388888
sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/5637563183.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

A 1500 Silverado 5.3L will serve you well. It's by far the most reliable of all the available engines.

as a major Ford fanboy, I won't disagree with this.

the 5.0L is no more reliable than the 3.5L Ecoboost. the thing is, for the most part the Ecoboost issues will present themselves relatively early whereas a bunch of people have been needing to put shortblocks in their 5.0 trucks due to excessive knocking/ticking at anywhere from 60-100k miles.

That's good to know. Thanks user.

I worry about all the extra components involved with the turbocharger. I wanted something simple, I guess I just assumed the 5.0 was reliable though. Isn't it a Coyote motor?

Any opinions on the Ram? They seem to be the cheapest, while the Silverado seems pricey. It doesn't help that I'm looking for a 4x4 crew cab though.

I personally can't speak about any modern trucks, but I don't believe any of those will last 20 years due to all the electronics and plastics. My 04 has enough issues with the computer and useless shit breaking (but I believe the Chevy drive train will last for damn near ever).

I'd personally buy an old and proven f150/250 or Silverado like a square body c10. For 15-20k, you could have one that's been perfectly restored with all types of modern equipment.

Does this seem like a good deal to you guys? I'm not a fan of black cars, but I would probably garage it.

truecar.com/used-cars-for-sale/listing/3GCPKTE70DG185975/2013-chevrolet-silverado-1500/

Ive thought about a 90s f250. It's hard finding nice crew cabs though in the area. I'm in love with this truck though.

ebay.com/itm/Ford-F-250-4x4-DIESEL-/262514388888?forcerrptr=true&hash=item3d1f13af98:g:OUgAAOSw41xXPS~Y&item=262514388888

Way over priced. If that's original mileage, that's not good.

For an older truck, you may need to expand your search, but trust me; they are out there. And a 200 dollar plane ticket can save you thousands if you go to the right places.

Yeah, I just liked the way it looked.

What about this diesel? It seems like a decent deal to me.

sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/5637563183.html

This is beautiful. My father has a 2011 5.3L 4x4 (extended cab, not crew cab) but nowhere near as heavily optioned. His is a work truck model while that one is an LTZ. opposite ends of the spectrum. That was like a 43-50k truck new. To put that in perspective, my dad's was the same price as that one and he bought it new. Go for it. The 5.3L V8 is fucking bulletproof.

King ranch or long born or gtfo

>Made in Mexico VIN
YouHaveToGoBack.jpg

That would bug me to no end.

While not as bad as the 6.0s, 6.4s were still problematic, and with a lot of work being cab-off, labour charges can add up quick.

So I should basically buy a Tundra then?

If you can get what you want new, go hard. resale value makes a used tundra a sucker's bet.

Isn't buying a brand new truck for suckers too though?

>Buying new
>B...but muh resale
kek

>08 6.4L

enjoy your $15,000 new Ford longblock

So the verdict is that there 5.3 1500 is the best used option?

Is there a difference between the normal 5.3L and the fuel flex version?

Still no opinion on newer RAMs?

They don't call them Dodge for nothing.
>Dodge

Dodge is trash. Source: I own one.
5.3 is the best hands down and diesels are a meme.

Ok, the gas and fuel flex are both pretty reliable though?

Any major issues to look for with the GM 1500s?

There's no such thing as a vehicle that doesn't break. They tend to be more reliable than comparable domestic brands and are far easier/cheaper to service.

Yes, the flex fuel just gives the option for use of e85, but isn't necessary

They're pretty damn reliable. I've owned four GM full size trucks.

One was a 2005 Sierra 1500 halfton that had 100k miles on the dot when I bought it. Was owned by a guy who ran a trailer rental company and he took pretty good care of it. Supposedly had a brand new transmission put in but I never got any receipt or proof of that. Drove it for a year and sold it for more than I bought it for. Never gave me a single problem besides an O2 sensor needed to be replaced.

I then bought a 2005 Yukon off some black dude. Total piece of shit. Only had 70k miles when I bought it yet the A/C never worked, the heater core failed, the engine was running lean and I couldn't get it figured out why, the windshield wiper fluid had a leak in the system I couldn't ever pinpoint so I never could use wiper spray, the whole thing would vibrate above 75 mph (new tires, wheels, balanced, never helped), and had a plethora of other issues. Total piece of shit. I drove it for two years then finally sold it.

I then bought a 2006 Silverado 1500 for dirt cheap. W/T package, reg cab with an 8 ft bed. It was an old forestry truck and was beat to shit. Had nearly 200k miles of likely pure abuse. Never gave me a single issue in the 7 months I owned it before selling it to my brother.

I then bought a 2006 Silverado 2500. Has 120k miles and no issues so far but I've only owned it for about a month.

Overall, they're pretty damn solid. In all of the miles I've driven with these trucks, not one ever gave me a major powertrain issue, and if you don't count the Yukon, none have really given me any issues at all.

The engines are made in Mexico. Silverado's are ALL built in America.

We already told you to get a Silverado. The Tundra has a shit-tier frame.

>So the verdict is that there 5.3 1500 is the best used option?
Yes.

>Is there a difference between the normal 5.3L and the fuel flex version?
Only that one is capable of using E85 ethanol and the other isn't. E85 is corrosive so the fuel system is different so it won't corrode. Running on E85, it will get worse gas mileage but better emissions, power, and, if you can find it, E85 is usually cheaper than normal regular gasoline.

>Diesels are a meme
Maybe if you're some punk bitch high schooler who has never had to pull anything in his life yeah

NO. In fact, most CC 1500s are Mexican made even though Flint has made them since 2009.

The first letter of the vin indicates country of origin; 1=USA, 2=Canada, 3=Mexico. It's literally been like this for decades now.

Why the fuck do you need a truck?

Im actually tempted to get myself a mid2000s Silverado or Sierra.

I wanted to get a new F150 crewcab but ill prob just find a nice used Silverado with low miles.

Anyone know what the range is for a full tank of gas?

Id be DDing it while i build up my other truck into a project.

My fathers 2011 averages 300 miles per tank. between 13 and 15 mpg city, and 18-19 mpg highway with the 5.3L.

>highly overpriced low mileage 90s ford diesel pickups

I had no fucking idea this was even a thing

I have 2 kids, 2 pitbulls, make frequent dump runs, and like the outdoors.