/rlg/ - Roguelike General

Roguenex.us is down due to a security leak until further notice.

>Shared DCSS online account.
User: rlgrobin
Password: ownfault (or "robin" on CXC).
Remember, it's not fun if you didn't splat hard!

FAQ and What to Play
FAQ: pastebin.com/Q7K91Q34 (embed)
What to Play?: pastebin.com/yfUKx35f (embed)

>Individual Game Pastas
pastebin.com/SgMJ7Xwh (embed)

Previous Thread (Cross-thread)

Other urls found in this thread:

brogue.roguelikelike.com
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Just wanted to remind people you can play Brogue online and watch people at brogue.roguelikelike.com
Sadly I don't think it has its equivalent of rlgrobin, or at least not yet. I'm playing a game as Lunar right now in case people want to spectate (but be gentle, I've only ascended like once.)

Posting in superior thread.

cool, i'll watch. don't expect advice as i am pretty shit

With sustains, there are ebin combos like True Grit and psi shields, which first reduce your damage to 0 and then tank that 0 with the shield.

Of course same combos are shit on player because mons have no res cap, while player has 70%.

Goddamnit the new evangelion movies are retarded.

Since it seems you kind of know what you are doing:

Newguy still trying his best, this run seems to be good for now, except for a pit trap that made me waste something like a levitation, speed, 2 invisibility, a life pot and recharging.

Right now I'm facing a dilemma with enchanting AGAIN, do I keep buffing my firebolt or I should start getting armor?

OYYY VEYYY Nice OP. I guess it's settled then, I'll go with Gozag for my vampire enchanter.

Fuck off to /a/. Nobody else cares.

So this one is the right thread, right?

>Wrong image

Paint failed me.

but why
we can all coexist with the tum

hating the tum was a meme

did you actually take memes seriously

Aye.

Enchant any of /FB, /Bl, or the war hammer.
Drop that whip.

you dumb or what

>haha i just like lolis and ''tum tum'' ironically. why do you get so mad when i spam it every thread. why are you memeing haha

>WHEN U DANCIN ON THE STAIRS AN THE WARDEN COMES ALONG

HP 204/313 (353)

##@@@@@@@@@##
#@@@@@@@@@@#
@@@@..........@@@@@
@@@..................@@@@
@@...........@..........@@@
@@@..................@@@@
@@@@..........@@@@@
#@@@@@@@@@@#
##@@@@@@@@@##

You go downstairs to take a peek...
You hear a distinct click nearby.
The vault sentinel whispers, "cant wake up"

>SMASH THAT MF LIKE BUTTON

are you doing this on purpose

>tfw u get hit with sentinel mark
>tfw u let them get close
>tfw u tornado the fuck out of them
>tfw they were all merely holograms and you are already dead

I got into a floor where I fought something like 20 wraiths because I couldn't find the stairs anywhere and the layout was absolutely ass.

Brogue is way too fucking hard.

That doesn’t seem like it should be too difficult with a +7 war hammer and scale of multiplicity.

It is hard when they come with mutations and in packs of 5 at the same time. If I don't kill in one hit because of RNG they hit me at least 6 times. Also the layout was way too shit, no corridors nor waydoors, never seen a worse floor.

Ah, yeah if you are fighting a mob they can be very tough. one at a time deep wraiths are no big deal. Try being more concious of when you are moving out of tight areas where you can force fights against enemies one at a time.

What's a good alternative for food clock?
Food clock can be hard to balance.
In before hard timer like Sil, that's anti-fun.

>anti-fun
It's a clock, user. It's made to push you to keep going.
Games which do clocks well:
IA
>Shock/Sanity, kinda borked currently though.
Brogue
>Balanced food clock
One Way Heroics
>Essential gameplay mechanic made out of a clock, also interestingly subverted later on

Sil's timer is bad because of the way it interacts with 950'.

IA is too limiting. Food clock also doubles as "combat clock" and has more persistent penalties and this makes it too much RNG.

Brogue also has RNG-heavy food clock, so lmao unavoidable death

Something like a progressing debuff that gets lighter on level change could work. Or maybe certain resources regenerating only after kills.

You can get rid of ___ clocks altogether by making it so enemies gradually start dropping nothing and giving no exp past a certain point, and making sure your player can't do anything useful with a lot of free time.

But if you do want time to be a resource outside battle, you can always create a unique gimmick for your game.
>Monsters keep coming; HP cannot be replenished easily, player can gradually accumulate an extra handicap (COGMIND, Infra Arcana and Forays into Norrendrin all do both)
>Unique invincible monster appears and chases player like Spelunky's ghost (while we're talking roguelites, could also be an infinite swarm of dangerous enemies with no drops coming from the upstairs, like FTL's rebel fleet)
>Level slowly fills with dangerous or deadly terrain from the entrance, which eventually covers it whole and can't be resisted forever (e.g. lava/water flood, deadly gas, crumbling floor)

Brogue does not generate food like other items; it specifically places it so you'll have just a bit more than enough in your average playthrough. Scrolls of enchant and life potions are also spread through the game this way. If the hunger clock fucks you over then you spent too much time resting, hiding or backtracking.

More monsters with less drops sounds like the best way to handle it.
Not arbitrary enough to be annoying, but still punishing.
Though not like FTL. That's full on "no, you have to go now!" and that's anti-fun and also stupid.

The IA clock is very lenient, and while you can get fucked by a few sanity hits early, there are multiple ways to deal with them (!Fortitude, Fearless). If you've survived into the mid-game it's easy to make it to the endgame without issue.

Brogue's food is generated the same way enchantment scrolls are, you are guaranteed to have enough unless you are bad and slow. The clock is also very lenient.

IMO making only unique enemies have drops and using a no-xp system with respawning enemies is the easiest way to remove any advantage of farming and do away with clocks entirely. Descent-only dungeon will help here too.

I'm kinda curious, if anyone knows roguelikes with unique or unusual food clock mechanics, please share them.

IIRC Incursion doesn't have any clock.

The catch is that you do not regain hp naturally, you need to find "safe" places to rest. After several times you do so, they stop being safe.

I think you can attempt to rest even in unsafe places, but the risk of getting killed in your sleep is high.

ADoM has corruption clock. It's not too well done though, it only means you have to avoid walking on world map.

DDA has a challenge profession where you constantly take damage, but progressively lose healing. Until you manage to fix it, it is an extra clock, with bandages as food.
Also zombie evolution means that if you go very slow (or play hard mode), cities become hard.

One way heroics does
>Level slowly fills with dangerous or deadly terrain from the entrance, which eventually covers it whole and can't be resisted

sil and one way heroics were already posted

in Sil there's a "minimum depth" you can be at based entirely on turncount, and if you're too high when you take a staircase you'll end up at the mindepth

OWH has an advancing wall of instadeath constantly coming from the left, so you always have to keep moving rightwards

Forays into Norrendrin has no clock, but your hp only regenerates by "resting" which you can only do once per level. plus shit doesn't respawn and you can't go back upwards again, so there's no real need for a clock

Frozen Depths uses a temperature clock instead, so you can help yourself along by doing shit like wearing warm clothes, lighting shit (or yourself) on fire, eating hot peppers for some reason, etc

CDDA has the most unusual food clock mechanic ever.

Where are the gains?

but user, cdda is shit.

>not 200 pounds of ant eggs

So is Crawl, Pozchengband, Brogue and every other roguelike

But not every roguelike is furry bait.
There are different kinds of shit, you have normal shit like brogue, ugly shit like crawl and abysmal shit like DogDaysAhead.

Anything I should keep in know before trying DrTm any tips?

>keep in know
pretty sure I just had a stroke
*keep in mind*

I don't know why we have two threads but given a choice I'll pick this one.

welcome

Don't pick Chei. Pick Ru or Oka or someone else good.
Get spider form up before raising unarmed since the base damage is Real.
Dodging is the best skill you can ever train.
You can melee hyders with ice form, but you probably still shouldn't.

thanks man, what about fighting in water does the tail slap make it more ideal?

oh and one more thing, when leveling spider form, when is it best to start leveling poison magic over transmutations

Are M&F getting their own gimmick or are they just going to be the designated boring but higher-damaged weapon class?

I don’t think you should ever base any gameplay decisions on either auxillary attacks or GDR.

I don't know if that makes tail slap better, but I don't see why it would.

No, level transmutations first since it benefits StS.
I get ~2 in Poison Magic usually since it's so cheap.

What are some decent gods for a GhMo that aren't the conventional Makh/Trog/Oka?

Is Kiku good on Ghouls? Is necromancy really something you want to run as an undead?

Ru is the Strongest

First time ever playing DCSS and they have the most hilarious monster descriptions

>this meme again
Ru fucking sucks dick

i appreciate more gods taking design cues from ash but ru is not interesting

>gives unlimited duration worth of piety for removing bloat
>you could pretend to be a crawldev FOR FREE
>not the strongest

not even the blackmarket could give you an even better deal than this

Atheist. You already have torment immunity what more do you want?

ghouls aren't very good at necromancy but kiku may still be the choice in extended because of the difficulty of finding other chunks to cure rot

don't worry, they're editing those to be as short as possible now, so you'll have nothing to read.... soon™

Ru is busted as fuck mate