German car unreliability memes

Where do they come from and why are they mostly coming from Americans?
Does America receive worse built cars from Germany as a revenge for WW2?
If Jap and murrican cars are so great how come they don't sell as good in Europe?
I own a 2004 BMW 5 series E60 (the "unreliable generation") with an inline six turbo diesel engine with 450k kilometer mileage (280k miles) and there are almost no issues or anything, the car is my daily driver.
I've also owned a Mercedes with 230k miles, several other BMWs with 240+k miles, all of them have been solid cars.
Not even talking about all the Merc E class taxis with 400-500k miles.
But I keep hearing that German cars fall apart after 100k miles, they are bio degradable cars etc.
Or is it just poorfags trying to justify their Hondas?

no one cares you poor yuropoor slavshit, keep crying over muh 20yo base bmw

not even slavic, probably whiter than you.

You're just statistical anomaly.

Sour grapes.

Dāvi, nav jēgas cīnīties ar Veeky Forumstistiem, it īpaši ja tu pieminēsi mercedes.

Guess the whole eastern bloc is anomalous as 80% of the cars on the road are 10-15 year old German luxury cars with 220+k miles, many of them have even been crash/flood damaged, imported from western Europe for cheap, fixed up at Vladislavs garage, sold and running seamlessly.
Also German engines are marvelous, a stock 2.5 BMW liter inline six or an Audi inline 5 2.2l from 1991 can handle a turbo setup with 500+ hp easily.

>Does America receive worse built cars from Germany as a revenge for WW2?
demonstrably yes

Kinda makes sense with the 25 year law

Now this is just my opinion. I think most of it comes from people that don't have the money to maintain these cars. I wish I had a dime for every Benz or BMW that I've seen with the cheapest tires possible on them and every light on in the dash. People just drive them into the ground and can't afford the repair work. So they mark them as unreliable.

German cars are pretty much well regarded in Europe, reliability-wise.
Except for unexpected VAG turbos getting blown to pieces.

>why are they mostly coming from Americans?

Because the North America is the largest Western automobile market, dummy.

Most the unreliability meme is just like all the other OHC, displacement, turbo, American car not turning memes that trolls like to perpetuate. Its Bullshit

That means its time to go NA

My VAGs (A4 B6) tranny was running like shit and my VAG has been the least reliable car of my 8 cars so yeah vag indeed tends to be shit

Oh and Opel, mostly shit unreliable cars

when the cost to repair your car is greater than the cars worth and you sell it like that..... just like that happens everyday

When the germans stop making trash cars the memes will stop. Why cant we go back to the early 90s tank mercedes that go 1m miles no problems instead of the shit we get now

BMW and merc are average in reliability and volkswagens are a shitshow after 50k miles.

Mostly though its that the repairs cost an arm and a leg so people remember the repairs more.

Here's the 2016 JD power reliability rankings for memers who will disagree with me.

Hello, yes I have felt for the German workmanship maymay here, I own a MKIV and can report that's its pile of shit and have serious case of buyers remorse

>buying a Golf
you deserve it

Various reasons, some being

>having to meet US specs
>parts and import cost since they aren't home grown
>the good ol' "anything that isnt american is shit" meme thats been common for years

BRING
MICH
WERKSATT

dodge shits the bed fucking hard

>GMC and Chevy that high
Callimg bullshit

Cars sold in America are built in the American continent, for cost reasons.

So even when they buy a Audi, it's still built by Americans.

German cars praised worldwide are those manufactured in Germany.

BRAUCH
MEHR
WIENER

Just off the top of my head,

BMWs are the only cars that I've seen need:

Chassis reinforcements when driven spiritedly to avoid structural attachment points for the suspension from tearing out or deforming (Mini/E36/E46)

Door panel clips that break and panels that delaminate making it rattle like a 1988 Chevy Celebrity

Thin small wires that has insulation fray apart and cause shorts

And all three german brands:

Plastic Water Pump Impellers

Constant use of plastic/bakelite in places they don't belong (balljoint cups, seat gears, clutch master/slave cylinders, actual bushings in the brake/clutch pedal pivots, pivots for the clutch fork, oil pans, oil filter housings, etc)

Excessive use of odd fasteners (torx, hex bits, along with odd metric sizes like 7/9/11/13/16/18mm, in comparison a Japanese/American car you only need a 8/10/12/14/17 to take apart most of the car apart).

Clutched Fans instead of Electric Fans

Vacuum Actuated Door Locks instead of Microswitches

VAG ESPECIALLY: Lowest bidder suppliers that end up making defective runs (MK4 Coilpacks) from forcing competitors to undercut each other

You forgot

>can't check the oil because too cheap to supply a dipstick

Oh yeah, that's Mercedes. You literally have to buy a transmission dipstick on a $70,000 car if you want to do it yourself. I'm pretty sure even Lexus gives you a dipstick on the LS.

E90/92 I can forgive not having a dipstick because it also works as part of the OLM (and those are fairly reliable in any car)

Until the oil level sensor fails (which it can), lol.

> Ford worse than FCA
will they ever recover?

Harder to do maintenance so less maintenance is done on average so car breaks down sooner.

Pretty simple really. Special tools and over engineering make simple tasks feel like molten lava down your urethra. :)

Most any car will last if it's nurtured.

The only "special tool" I can think of for BMWs is the spark plug socket tool which costs like 5$
BMWs are simple cars to disassemble and work on really, especially the ones made until ~2002
The electonics are kind of sophisticated on newer models as they use optical cables (MOST)

I own a B-Class (W246)
When i got it it had something around 22 Mm, now it has something around 43 Mm.
So far the only real problem was that the front left drive axle broke, however, it was replaced free of charged. Other than that the car has some sort of electrical problem with the rear window wipers, which Mercedes was not able to pinpoint or fix.

Nobody i know in Germany has the opinion or "knowledge" that German cars are unreliable. However, the "premium" brands are very expensive to maintain until the warranty runs out.

>German car unreliability memes
it's just a meme. most people here can't even afford a german car and if they can they're 30 years old.

Yea that's BMW the others are worse. Also, I still don't want to get a special tool for spark plugs that's gay.

My 16 year old skoda on polo basis still works like a charm, apart from some minor electric failures I couldn't care less about. Never had to replace any major parts in 140k miles. Best rust prevention I've ever had on a car, I never parked this car in a garage and drove it on salty winter roads, it just wont rust.
Also friendly reminder that the worst Merc of all time was built in the US.

They break down just as often as your average American domestic car, they just cost an absurd amount to fix, and if you're working with an Audi or a Benz you often HAVE to bring it into the dealership.

Plus you're talking about German diesels which are generally reliable reliable compared to their petrol engines.

I still refuse to buy anything German past '93 regardless.

What are you talking about? You can find any number of Benzes, Bimmers, and Audis for under $6,000 on autotrader and craigslist, and there's a good reason why they're that cheap.

Look it up it's on their website. Sorry memes don't always correspond to reality. Stop using Veeky Forums and jalopnik as your only source of car info.

Nothing wrong with a naturally aspirated german petrol engine too, with a few exceptions

of course it's bullshit.

>mfw i write all this and no one addresses it

yes you're not mentioning the fan clutch tools/wrenches, torx/hex sockets and bits that american/japanese cars rarely use, odd metric sizes, etc

>Vacuum Actuated Door Locks instead of Microswitches
are you talking about 40 year old BMWs here?

Thank you for saying this. I'm Hungarian, everyone I know is a euro fanboy, and all of those guys run their cars perfectly well. A BMW is a pleasure to own if you can do basic work yourself.

The reason why these memes exist in America is because mechanics overcharge. Obviously the reliability of a car is more exaggerated when you have to sell a kidney to fix every problem.

I live in California where the car scene is dominated by Japanese card and V6 mustangs, and it's a constant battle explaining to people that their cousin whose BMW kept breaking down isn't proof of anything other than him being a shitty owner and this country being full of shitty mechanics. I can get work done for a fraction of the cost over in Hungary, and even the cheapest shop will do quality work, they just might not use the best parts.

Screencap from my dealer history report.

The first gen Mercedes ML is pretty reliable, Top Gear meems aside its identical to a W210 E-Class, and one of the best BMWs of all time (Z3) was built 100% in Spartanburg, SC.

Worst Mercedes was built in almost all in Germany anyways (W202/W203)

Funny thing is that they're completely Goyim Motors. Most 'American' and 'Australian' (not actually made or designed there) cars since the 60's have been from or based off Opel's lineup. The only worse gm division is daewoo and the pigfat shitboxes they pump out.