/agdg/ - Amateur Game Dev General

DDX is Kill! Play DDX games, leave feedback for devs.

>Current Demo Day (X)
itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-10

>Next Game Jam (Lewd -- Blueboard rules still apply)
itch.io/jam/lewd-jam-2016

>Lewd Jam Collabs
docs.google.com/document/d/1K9wlzcJntyOCV3KLvRcvllZ2ZUnGgrDtiwPdMLlw5XQ/edit?usp=sharing
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Sm0Pxz0uq-62L46TdXmKisynbhLI_by-pLNlcgo4B8M/edit?usp=sharing

>Next Demo Day (11)
itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-11

Helpful Links: tools.aggydaggy.com/# (Still in beta)
New Threads: Archive: boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/agdg/
AGDG Logo: pastebin.com/iafqz627

>Previous Demo Days
pastebin.com/X6fLvtzA

>Previous Jams
pastebin.com/qRHNpCbZ

>Chats
steamcommunity.com/groups/vgamedevcrew
webchat.freenode.net/?channels=vidyadev

>Engines
GameMaker: yoyogames.com/gamemaker
Godot: godotengine.org/
Haxe: haxeflixel.com/
LÖVE: love2d.org/
UE4: unrealengine.com/what-is-unreal-engine-4
Unity: unity3d.com/

> Models/art/textures/sprites
opengameart.org/
blender-models.com/
mayang.com/textures/

> Free audio
freesound.org/browse/
incompetech.com/music/
freemusicarchive.org/

Other urls found in this thread:

steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=735346310
discord.gg/UmRn9
assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/368
store.steampowered.com/app/518670/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I feel like trying to make assets for my game even though I haven't coded anything yet. What should I do?

Oh thank god, you made a proper thread instead of "le forcing maymay" thread.

Does anyone even give a shit about art progress?

As long as there is a related game

naked grill

Jetpack Robot Turbo dev did you get more downloads after changing your cover?

only if it has this

Canus was a legit meme before LIS jumped on the bandwagon. I'm not going to apologise for it.

Yes

Naked girls is all I do!
Too bad I have no related game yet ;_;

>legit meme
>implying

But you don't need more for a successful game
just give them some thong textures put them in unity and you are good to go
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=735346310

>10 posters
>zero games

I-i'm sure everyone's busy working on it!

there are 56 different games in the op

my fucking sides

trying to get character movement down, pretty much same as i had it before, had an user yesterday tried to give me some advice, told me to use one controller and use an array of characters to make them move together but didn't work. Pretty sure UE4 only lets a controller possess one pawn at a time. Still dont know how to get control rotation working so that characters turn in the direction they are moving, seems that anything on the character blueprint itself just doesn't work. Also need a way to limit the individual character movement a bit as atm the characters fly off the screen and its quite hard to control all three at once.

I'm starting on a four swords clone more or less currently

so far, I've got movement, gamepad support, and the character can roll.
My next goal is fleshing out combat

what are you working on?

What are good pixel art resolutions? Individual tile and whole screen

Is there a reason you're doing this in UE4?

4k, 1080p respectively

Massive 3-dimensional procedural dungeon generation. I don't even have any gameplay after a couple of months work.

We're drowning in new features over here

The same thing but without the other people

Doesn't look to me like you're drowning in fun

makes no sense perspective-wise, dropped

i realise its not the best engine for the game but im not a programmer, i just know how blueprints work. I do plan to learn some code eventually but i wanted to make this game because i was quite excited about the idea

Oh there's plenty of fun to go around.
Physics abuse is a hell of a drug

>mfw It wasn't a top down shooter

Does the controller actually need to possess more than one character?

Can't you just possess one, and then call equivalent functions on the other characters with each input?

it doesn't make any sense. even the level change animations show the plane going downwards, so this water appears to be hanging sideways.

Procedural generation is such a far off dream for me, good luck man.

I like it. The style you've got going on is really strong, and even illogically nice.

What was the concept of your game again? I know you mentioned it when you posted the art of the blue cultist, but I can't recall. It was... RPS fighting style game?

Oh fug, your game is side view? I thought it was top-down all this time...

screen size 640 x 360 (because this allows you to scale to 1280x720 x2 and 1080p x3 easily)

tile size 24 x 24 (which is a neat compromise between too much detail 32 and not enough detail 12).

Maybe it's a vertical spaceship

a what?

so this is like 2d descent?

>mfw the best way to get (yous) is to abuse perspective

did you guys just notice that the perspective is all over the place? there are candles and shit sitting around the rooms

Ordinary Platfformer Waifu dev, are you here?

Don't forget to join the discord, we need more autism.

discord.gg/UmRn9

Thanks mate. I hope to be posting progress here in another couple of months heh.

Candles are acceptable, because they're treated as just placeholder icons. This is altogether different, since this affects gameplay.

not quite sure what you mean but this is how its set up atm, i spawn in the extra characters and controllers from the first one and then possess them with the movement on the original controller as it wasnt working on the character BPs
the concept is a 1v1 arena style multiplayer game where each player has a set of three characters that they can swap out, each with a different ability

Gay indeed.

Worst shitposter in AGDG, IRC and Discord.

no, it's to post game

>154375672
>who
>who
>dogposter
>shitposter
>who

>Roko

Bad handwriting sorry, it says gay.

I think it's
>goy

Honestly, GameMaker is pretty much perfect for what you want to make.

I'd help if I knew UE4 though. Sorry mate.
Do keep updating us though, I like your style.

What I mean is that you have the main character.
You have MoveRight() in the main character which is triggered by the controller, with the subsequent code to move right.
At the end of that code, you call MoveRight(axis) on each of the other characters too, that way they all move right but only the main character has any direct relation to the controller.

bork bork bork

Unity has something similar for 45 bucks

assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/368

Are you Unomoralez?

So your advice is for him to go from one unsuited engine to another unsuited engine, but this time he has to buy a $45 unofficial alternative

Nah, just saying if he ever actually goes to unity there's shit out there for him.

I gave up guys

So who won DDX?

steamchat

Algeria

You can done it

Define winning, just by sheer view/downloads it's most likely Sanix.

i think i get what you mean, you saying that the move right for the 2nd and 3rd characters should be on their own controller BPs?
yeah i bought gamemaker in the humble bundle, might have a look at it at some point
thanks but atm ill stick with UE4, if i feel like it wont work at all with the engine then might try gamemaker

I did

bootleg uno moralez

If sanixdev is here, I'd like to see his stats. Please.

>no canus
DROPPED

Remember to set roomspeed to 60 fps in GMS. Those Vlambeer guys still think running all their games at 30fps is a good thing.

can't live with them, can't live without them

These are the kinds of games I expected /agdg/ to make. Instead what I got was more pixelshit platformers.

Eerily similar, but not intentional.

You expect us to make games like yours then

fuck forgot link
store.steampowered.com/app/518670/

Seconding this notion

> moe lester

Neat

Whoever made this won all Demo Days to me Will he become the candy princess someday?

Why wouldn't you make them inherit from a single controller and then do the character specific movement/abilities in the character BPs? Then when you want to possess or de-possess/destroy/whatever you can just do it from character BPs. No point having multiple controllers

Game Maker
vs
Multimedia Fusion 2

which should I learn?

Are there any standards to loading tilemaps and shit? I'm using SFML and I'm just wondering the best way if I had layers and stuff. If I had a map I made in Tiled or something. I feel like rendering the whole map every frame would be dumb, as well as other things. I'm not sure if theres anything I can read up on about this or if I should just try things.

>66 games submitted
>only includes 56 in the OP
disgraceful. Here's the real DDX image

desu I really liked the art style for charlottes dream like way more than I think I should

OP here. I make games. I prefer aesthetics over accuracy.

>tfw your game gets called bad

>microwave
>cat
Fuck, that's funny

Game maker. Get it in the humble bundle for 15 bucks and be able to export to everything.

Is this you?

It probably is. Now go make it better. Make it the best game ever made

last time i tried with just one controller, could only get one of the characters to move but i didnt have the movement and possesion on character blueprints, ill have another go at it and post progress later, thanks

Game Maker question,

if i have multiple object stacked together,
how can my click register only on the topmost object?

Haven't done game maker in a while but isn't that already the case for objects on different plane levels?

the response is correct. people cant be taking jimmy sterling reviews seriously.

>how can my click register only on the topmost object?
I thought you wrote dick

Nope, seems like I will still be able to click objects behind an object.

British people inherently hate absolutely everything. Unfortunately the British game cynics are all the rage right now because British accents make everything sound more refined to a ton of people.

>nothing

pretty accurate though

>nobody will make a meme reaction video to your game
Why even carry on