Be on Cali road trip

>be on Cali road trip
>notice some squeakies
>Drive belts cracked a shit
>drop it off at pep boys right next to where we were.
>figure it'll be an hour easy
>gf and I go eat Bun Bao, Che and Boba delicacies
>2 hrs "just started on it"
>3 hours "almost done"
>4 hrs "hurr need to find a right sizing belt"
>5 hrs "lemme play with the tensioner"
>7hours "order da belt yea, come back tomorrow"

>come back tomorrow "done asap"
>gf and I go to in n out yum
>2hrs "herpadurmpy just started on it"
>3hrs "done soon"
>4hrs "errm left thread nut sorry kun"
>I tell them put everything back I want to leave right now
>go to local shop they rethread destroyed nut, we drive away in an hour with new belts
>go back to pep bois, make thesefuckers pay for it. Fuck a fucking pepboi they are gay faggotz

ITT we hate on big name auto service stores especially a fucking pepbois those fuckers.

>people hate on dealerships but seemed to get fucked over more at the sketchy franchise garages.

Take your shit to the dealers faggots. So what if you pay a little more.

>paying somebody to replace a belt
Bitch you can replace a belt on the side of the road with a few tools in like 10 minutes, the fuck you doing
Stop being a fucking cuck

My friend took his car there and they said his coolant was fine, he said are ya sure it looks low? They said nah it is good mate. Shortly later... explosion!

So he was skeptical of their judgement, and it never occurred to him to just open the tank and drop a little distilled water in just to top it off just in case? And he never noticed that little dial on the dashboard that would have been warning him for quite a while of impending doom?

Sounds to me like your friend is just as much to blame here.

why didnt you fix it yourself you pussy punk bitch

God I hate fucking pep boys, last time I went to get my brakes done there then my CEL came on after, they refused to pay the bill for the cam sensor they fucked up

cause they're not mechanics you fucking nitwit

Here in Vegas, asking if pep boys do a military discount will make them charge even more.

Wish I were joking.

Literally anyone with a fucking socket wrench can replace a belt, are you a fucking faggot?

Why is that?

You don't need to be a mechanic to replace a drive belt YA DIP

Now look who's the retard

>distilled water
More corrosive than tap water. Why?

I'm sorry y'all. Is it really that easy? I'm new to working on my own stuff and didn't want to fuck it up. Especially while on a vacay roadtrip.
But also this thread is for hating a phuking pep boi. Not my lack of repair skills. So fuk off.

How the hell would a cam sensor be anywhere near or related to brakes? Sounds completely separate.

>you have to be a mechanic to replace a belt

damn guess I gotta start paying people to check the air in my tires and put gas in my car too

Even serpentine belts on modern cars are very very easy. It's just pushing on the tensioner to take tension off the belt and swapping them

It's corrosive to minerals, not to metals.

> minerals
Ummm user.....metals are minerals...

i havent gotten bullshitted by these guys thankfully but a few years ago my mom went for tires and they ended up giving her the wrong sized tires which would rub against the wheel arch and they made her pay an arm and fucking leg for it

she threatened to sue and that shit was fixed faster than you can say senpai

(pic related - moms car)

I don't know how you spoiled brat

Then how can you complain.

Learn. Do you have others put on your wiper blades for you too?

no, minerals are metal compounds.

It's not corrosive either, really. Tap water contains minerals which can form hard scale on the surfaces of your heat exchangers and fuck them up. Distilled water, on the other hand, will eventually leach metal out and cause erosion.

Either one is fine for emergency replacement instead of blowing up your engine like this guy did.

t. boiler operator who deals with this on a daily basis

I'd rather have the scale.

Then learn you retard.

Look up some vidyas on basic maintenance, user. Next time you need to change the oil do it yourself. Next time it's time for new antifreeze replace it yourself. Then the brakes etc.

You'll get the gist of it after awhile. If cleetus from backwoods Louisiana can keep his truck running you can keep your car running.

>on a road trip

lol and apparently you can't cook/eat decent food either. I worked on my own car when I was 15. If someone with 7 concussions (me) can figure it out, so can you, you goddamn cuck.

>not carrying at least a basic tool kit
fucking disgusting

The problem with Pep Poys is they hire all sorts of beginners and then train those beginners on cars with easy to fix problems like yours. But those beginners, who might be there due to nepotism or hiring of their friends' kids, are incompetent. Or they don't really care about wrenching because they just want a job that's easy. With that kind of job attitude, even an easy job takes a long time to get done.

That said, some Pep Boys shops are excellent. But they don't hire incompetent nepotism employees like mexican-run shops will do.

>I don't know how you spoiled brat

It's mostly overcoming your fear of not doing a perfect job the first time everyime and having some self-confidence that one learns from small errors.

Most people train themselves out of that by doing small things and working up. It's not hard to wash and wax the car. You then move up from that to checking your oil and air filter and cabin filter. Actually, checking and replacement of those filters is not necessary for a long time unless your area is dusty, but it is a reasonable next step.

You watch more youtube videos because there are lots of channels with stuff for beginners since that is also an easy series of videos to make. You re-read your owner manual and find out where all the fuses are located, not that you need to check them. Most new cars have 3 locations where clusters of fuses are located.

You keep moving forward building on your knowledge. Then one day you will do your first oil change which is actually easy once you decide to get a jack and pair of jackstands.

Or you can rent out a real garage with car hoist to build up your confidence. Many cities have these places. They even get rid of the used oil for you. That's the expensive way to do things, but some shops have value-added services included with the shop such as mechanic advice, full tool sets, pneumatic air, and waste disposal service. Check with each shop. The mechanic advice is free as long as they don't have to do any of the work (no touching of tools). Some rental shops will let you rent the mechanic too who will work along with you. For example, removal and installation of a dash is a two person job. Typical rates in my area are $15 or $20 for 30 minute oil change (4 post lift). $20 per hour no tools with 2 point lift and air with mechanic advice. $30 per hour with 2 or 4 point lift and full tools available with air and mechanic advice. $200/day(11hrs). You are always welcome to have other adults work with you.