/agdg/ - Amateur Game Dev General

Play Demo Day games, and post feedback!

> Current Demo Day (X)
itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-10

>Next Game Jam (Lewd -- Blueboard rules still apply)
itch.io/jam/lewd-jam-2016

>Lewd Jam Collabs
docs.google.com/document/d/1K9wlzcJntyOCV3KLvRcvllZ2ZUnGgrDtiwPdMLlw5XQ/edit?usp=sharing
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Sm0Pxz0uq-62L46TdXmKisynbhLI_by-pLNlcgo4B8M/edit?usp=sharing

> Helpful links
New Threads: Archive: boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/agdg/
AGDG Logo: pastebin.com/iafqz627

> Previous Demo Days
pastebin.com/X6fLvtzA

> Previous Jams
pastebin.com/qRHNpCbZ

> AGDG Chats
steamcommunity.com/groups/vgamedevcrew
webchat.freenode.net/?channels=vidyadev

> Engines
GameMaker: yoyogames.com/gamemaker
Godot: godotengine.org/
Haxe: haxeflixel.com/
LÖVE: love2d.org/
UE4: unrealengine.com/what-is-unreal-engine-4
Unity: unity3d.com/

> Models/art/textures/sprites
opengameart.org/
blender-models.com/
mayang.com/textures/

> Free audio
freesound.org/browse/
incompetech.com/music/
freemusicarchive.org/

Other urls found in this thread:

itch.io/jam/911-jam
youtube.com/watch?v=sPbjPOgRtyA
youtube.com/watch?v=1JIhpPwkjUU
boards.fireden.net/vg/search/tripcode/!ROtaTe.Z.Q/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Well that was weird.

First asking for fanarts of DDX

so i want to make a map generator based on Animal crossing, where you have a random grid of map "chunks" containing predetermined objects (like rivers, houses, trees, etc), but i have absolutely no clue how to achieve this in Game Maker.

what would you suggest agdg?

I made some time to make a horse (I think his neck and head is too thin for his body or something it look more like a cow/bull body to me) and a pilgrim man.

I made the beard and glasses separate objects so that I could populate areas with random combinations of glasses and beards or neither. I plan to include necklaces, hats, and similar things like that so that larger groups of npcs will be more dynamically equipped.

I think I can also do something like, assign all the shirts and hats an array of materials or textures and have a script randomly choose one if a character interacts with a wardrobe or something so that on different in game days, some npc's will have different hats, or clothes. Which I think could be pretty neat.

Next assets to make are gonna be some kids, a cow, and then two or three types of monsters. Then some placeholder UI stuff, and see if we can figure out how to fight monsters and get loot to start getting some semblance of a game going here.

Seconding this.

>People quick to jump ship into the new thread after a respected dev destroys his reputation in a single post
>mfw

Let me get this straight: Sexual violence against loli is terrible and will probably deleted off of most websites, but physical (fantastical) violence is fine and will probably be kept on most websites?

>There is a horse but the girl mount a dog anyway

Well, if you wanna do it the hacky bullshit way, create an object that makes a ground sprite, then generates a bunch of other objects on top of itself. Call it chunk. Then make a bunch of versions of it. Then make a room that is x*y chunks, and fill it with spawners for random chunks.

Probably not the best way, but it would work.

because girls are smaller obviously and weigh less

>respected dev
Okay.

Japanese devs don't have problems with that, see Demonophobia, but you should go full obscure and don't post it on the most common sites.
Anyway, what do you mean by fantastical?

>itch.io/jam/911-jam
has anyone this big in the community self destructed this hard in the history of AGDG?

i mean... why did he do it?

Why does it hurt my eyes when the sprite moves and the screen isn't scrolling

That happens to me a lot, don't know why.

The lulz

>tries to be edgy
>no one joins
oh i'm cringing so hard at thumb right now

this looks fucking DISGUSTING

>Anyway, what do you mean by fantastical?
Not resembling real life at all. Though if Elder Scrolls had killable children at least some time in its development, then clearly people don't care as much about what happens to children character as long as it isn't sexual.

Just a little thought I had.

My game has the same problem, it makes me sad

add a background that isn't 1 solid color

Mm I don't know, that's kinda a grey place.

Because the sprite is probably moving my one pixel at a time, and since it's so small it's basically jumping.
Solution: keep the camera locked on him or make him move in smaller increments.

How do we report this desu?

>this big in the community

>people are THIS mad at a steamchat joke
>steamchat doesn't even exist anymore

I have no idea why these chat fags are implying anyone knew thumbtack or cared who he was before he blacklisted himself just now.

animating your sprite helps

did you set room speed to 60

you say that like being edgy didn't directly lead to no one joining up

Just look at gogem, nobody wants another gogem

stop samefagging thumb

That's just embarrassing.

>0 joined
Brutal

youtube.com/watch?v=sPbjPOgRtyA

>try fucking with America on an American majority message board made by an American
These demonstrations are important for keeping the rest of the foreigncucks in line.

>steamchat doesn't even exist anymore
well they moved to discord but its still a secret chat so

i am making a translation gizmo, i am unprojecting a screen space ray from the camera into world space to make a line, and i find the closest point between 2 lines to find the position on the axis i am translating, but when translating the axis with a high perspective wrap, u get undesired results, the blue dot is the position where i would like the axis to be, i calculate this by projecting the axis line into 2d screen space, and doing a projection of the mouse position onto the 2d axis line, any ideas how to project the blue dot back onto the 3d axis line? blender seems to have this exact same issue, i would like a better solution

Yes, but I suggest at least getting advice from another artist so you don't cop a shitty palette.

What kind of color-blind are you?

>itch.io/jam/911-jam
Don't report it. Just let it slip into the ether and maybe next time he will remember to gauge the feelings of a community before he does things like this.

>leaf
not surprised desu

Wow. Thumbtack was the one behind that cool battle network style game and then went full retard with an edgy joke?

What a fucking faggot

>tfw you realize the most important part of games is the art, and you are shit at it

Making progress boys!

>inb4 bokudev is colorblind and that's why his levels look that weird

>guy bullys the 50000 dead americans and their families who were lost in a tragedy not to mention the 1000 firemen and women and first responders who also perished in that tragedy
that sign is meant for thumbtack right?

>what is minecraft
>what is undertale
It's clear user, art is not what is important. Music is.

One of the most common complaints about my demo was lack of weight with my weapons. I'm trying to find a good smearing tutorial, but I'm not coming up with anything on Google. Any resources a kind dev would be willing to share?

I'm gonna give a group picture a shot tomorrow, but I'm slow so it'll probably take a few days to complete.

>tfw decent at art
>don't know shit about music
FUCK

The most successful indie game of all time was made with programmer art, so not quite, user.

>planes flying backwards

passenger jets dont shoot bullets wtf are you doing

smearing implies speed, not weight
if you're willing to ignore the >extra credits the start of this video explains how to add weight to actions better
youtube.com/watch?v=1JIhpPwkjUU

>Smearing
I dunno which game is yours, but smears aren't how you give something weight. If you want an attack animation to have weight, you just need to give the animation a lot of anticipation and follow-through, but very little of the actual swing.
For instance, 2 frames of your character bracing themselves, 1 frame for the actual weapon swing, and 3 frames of the follow-through/cooldown. If you want to use smears, which do help, then you would use them during the swing and on the first frame of the follow-through, or maybe just on the swing. But the most important part is making sure each part of the animation doesn't have the same amount of frames.

>AttackOnTowers- The Game (The 9-11 Simulator) (online-video-cutter.com)

That shit still makes me mad, too.
Mojang hired a good artist, one capable of making good pixel art, one that could have made the game look overall very pretty. But no, they stuck with the programmer art because ~retro aesthetic~

Even though retro games hired actual artists to make the art, and minecraft programmer art looks nothing like retro games.

minecraft had really shit music though

>Source """"developers"""""
Look at this. Just look at it. Does this look like the kind of ""work"" that should be accepted in this general?

>Minecraft
>A success due to its music
???
Are you stupid?

I really like recording glitches for some reason

It's a feature

Soon we're gonna be competing with /FN@F/ for the title of highest concentration of autistic weirdos per thread.

>shitboy spamming reports on posts about getting him removed from itch.io
I see how it is.

>all the jam shitposting in this thread is from 1 person from vine's discord
this is why you should join the rotate discord instead, it's not full of shitposters that don't even post progress in the thread

Thanks, guys. Really appreciate it.

If I understand what you are trying to get at, have you considered doing a plane cast and then have a plane set arbitrarily large in the orientation of the three axis?

>154444206
>takes the time to fire up his shitty map and take new screenshots once in a while
>doesn't ever finish the map or make a game
Do you f@m. Do you.

>all those words
>nothing worth reading

dude what even is that image

hey sourcefam, can you upload that level file?

Make the players bullets into different kinds of luggage/bags/suitcases and I'm on board.

What's there to get mad about?
The winner is always the one that made itself memorable or do its job perfectly

>gay drama shit from a buncha nodevs

FUCK OUTTA HERE

these kids probably would've voted for Jeb this year

When's the last time vine even posted progress here? Are they literally all just fake devs now?
>join the rotate discord instead
I would literally rather kill myself. There are too many reasons to avoid nodev chatrooms and potato is one of the biggest nodevs.

>source

It is though.

nevre seen that one before
only the one that gets posted all the time

i dont wanna post here anymore knowing that exists

please for the love of god don't

Put your trip back on retard.

boards.fireden.net/vg/search/tripcode/!ROtaTe.Z.Q/

whoever made this needs to fucking die

it's the same memes
it's the same posts

jesus christ i can't take it anymore, i'm out

>sourceposting
>bitching about rotate
is MothDan back up?

Good luck with your meltdown monkey. Just remember in the past year you could have made progress on that map instead of posting the same old pic of it and false flag shitposting about it. From this new angle looks like you've done nothing. And it's still ugly as fuck.

ok and how would i save that to a file? in some sort of wacky array?

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

You really think you're false flagging danny don't you?

is this the new rotate game

>you could have made progress on that map
unfortunately no
that was really the extent of his skills

You probably want to generate everything at once and do it in phases. For example you could do something like
>generate coastline
>create a lake somewhere on the map
>connect them with a river
>add bridges to the river
>determine which screens to place important buildings
>do the same for houses
>determine some paths to preserve through the map
>add some cliffs n trees and shit

reminder that the person who made this is LITERALLY in prison now for what he's done

fuck, im in way over my head here. procgen is insane

wut

hoo

>92 replies
>35 posters

I assume this thread is almost entirely the same 5 people

Why is /agdg/ so shitty tonight/

oOH My FUCKING god dude