/dfg/ - Dwarf Fortress General

Nobody wanted to make the general so I had to do it edition.

Last thread: >>Veeky Forums154115163
>Download the basic game here. Current version is Dwarf Fortress 0.43.05
bay12games.com/dwarves/

>Official forums:
bay12forums.com/smf/inde x.php

>Find a bug? Don't tell us! Tell Toady! Complaining in the thread will accomplish nothing.
bay12games.com/dwarves/m antisbt

>Have a question? Check the wiki first:
dwarffortresswiki.org/index. php/Main_Page

>Fireden archived threads:
boards.fireden.net/vg/searc h/subject/Dwarf%20Fortress/

>Dwarf Therapist (Out of Date):
bay12forums.com/smf/inde x.php?topic=122968.0

>DFHack (Out of Date):
bay12forums.com/smf/inde x.php?topic=139553.0

>Starter Pack (Out of Date):
bay12forums.com/smf/inde x.php?topic=126076.0

>More DF stuff:
pastebin.com/AnsHjQ40

>Dwarf Fortress General IRC chat:
en.irc2go.com/webchat/?net=f reenode&room=dwarffortress
(to connect yourself: webchat.freenode.net #dwarffortress)

>A bunch of guides to various parts of fort-based living:
imgur.com/a/nGyRF#0

>Video tutorials:
youtube.com/playlist?li st=PLBrdUj1adIBD-vgUodaaxebcdqQ4oEW tg
youtube.com/playlist?li st=PLD1A3FE72C0DCAC66 (Dated, but good)

>Text tutorials:
dwarffortresswiki.org/DF2014:Tutorials
members.iinet.net.au/~morty/ Getting_Started_with_Dwarf_Fortress.pdf

>This pasta:
pastebin.com/iAduXzjn
Strike the earth!

Other urls found in this thread:

dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Giant_cave_spider
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Last thread: Typo

Well fuck, other thread died while I was tracking down and exploring... whatever the fuck is going on here.

>see in legends one of the vaults had "become embroiled in a dispute over territory" with a hamlet
>go to the hamlet and ask about the area
>pow, there's the vault
>head over there expecting to hack my way into some sweet metal gear and a slab
>some asshole demon accidentally a volcano

shiet.

I'm new and r u ded

How to raise number of dwarves at embark?
Using DFHack's startdwarf just caused errors.

Welcome back /dfg/

How do I make my military dwarves spar?

All they do is individual combat drills and dodging demonstrations. Neither of which improves their armor user skill.

Hey guys heres a sketch of a dwarf. Im an infrequent drawfag so feel free to flame.

nice drawing, he strikes me as a warrior, he's got a sort of samurai vibe going on too

looks like that vault can be yuor angle or your devil

Any cool ideas for what to do with a magma pool in the caverns?

>armor user skill
This pisses me off so much!
I wish I could make their Armor User skill go up over time simply by wearing the armor around and fucking sleeping in it 24/7. (at slower pace then actually wearing it in combat ofc)
But noooooo. Instead I have a team of legendary fucking axedwarves that are literally a bunch of pineapple cans sitting in a stockpile and moving 1 meter per hour when they need to respond to an attack.

So, Toady has 3 events this month, right?
Can anybody tell me where each one, dont remember to have read it on the forums

I think you must cross a certain skill treshold before they start sparring.

Nope, I came up on it from the south over the ridge thankfully, waited a while until the magma cleared enough and was able to get some loot, left the slab down in there though, would have to swim through magma to reach it apparently.

This OP gives me cancer

Please respond, I really want to make some sort of dwarven hive/nest/commie fort, I have a thing for expansion, I guess.

Check out the September report. He went to a dev panel on the 1st, and some indie game event in Korea a few days after... then there's a roguelike celebration thing coming up on the 17th. Dunno if any of them are recorded though.

dumb toadyposter

>mfw I think I've killed everyone

nob here

What dfhack plugins people use and which are considered cheating?

I'm thinking of autohaul and workflow.

I believe you can use the migrants-now function in dwarfhack to force early migrant waves.

You can't pick their skills but it's still more bodies early on.

If startdwarf didn't work for you then you don't. Just wait for migrants.

Thanks.

Seriously, is Toady going to fix migrants being so skilled? It makes no sense for them emigrate with their families when they could hold a job in larger cities.

It's single player, use whatever the fuck you want.

I guess they inject some html tag inside long words, which breaks backward compatibility with everything that doesn't completely support HTML 5 (and a lot that does).

I didn't notice until after the thread was made.
You have only yourselves to blame for driving me to it.

Why doesn't it make sense? Just because you have skills doesn't mean your current town needs them. Maybe you're a clothier and your town already has enough clothiers.

I don't want to go against the spirit of the game.

There's a link at the bottom of the OP to a fresh copy that wouldn't have that problem.

How to play adventure mode? Haven't played in like 3~4 years and I can't find any cool shit to kill. This new quest/conversation system confuses me.
nobody knows where anything is

Pastebin link hasn't been updated in almost two years.
Also, pastebin is for fags who like dos newline mangling.

...No, I keep the pastebin updated, actually.

I'm a dumb ass

would this cause the brew 10 drinks from plants order to fire whenever the manager checked that my booze store has less than 20 drinks in it?

I don't know who made that dwarf fortress spotify playlist, but it is pretty comfy.

What are you listening to right now /dfg/?

>hasn't been updated in almost two years
You mean almost two threads? Seriously, OPFAG gives us a notification every time it's updated.

link the spotify

Thanks mate. Yeah, I went with the classic grouchy dwarf look. I've tried going into detail with helmets and stuff, but the designs always look pretty bad.

Yar, I remember it being updated just a couple weeks ago.

>make a trap for a web FB
>a nice shiny row of doors for him knock down
>bridges to seal him in
>a dwarf locked in with the levers
>open the trap
>FB is coming
>bugbats appear on the map
>FB spends weeks chasing bugbats around the cavern instead of pathing in my trap
>no end in sight

I fucking hate bugbats.

[oscillates internally]

What's wrong?

Nothing really. It's just annoying to have to designate more bedrooms

>not having the bedrooms ready ahead of time
Good way to leave the miners and carpenters occupied too.

64bit dfhack when

Yeah, but all the time? I really need some expendable peasants.

in my opinion, anyone who isn't a weapon or armor smith is expendable.

Unless you specify further ("i: change item type"), "items" is any item. Those five hundred or so crafts you plan to sell? they're items, and prevent you from brewing right now.

Press "p: add conditions from products" for drink and seeds conditions, delete the seeds one and modify the drink one.
"r" would do the same for reagents (plants and food containers), if you wanted to limit the number of plants left for food or something

>second time playing
>have stable population of 32
>migrants have arrived
>total pop is 69 now

Th-thanks. Anything I can do about this? I quit right after because I didn't want to deal with it

Right after Toady releases the first part of the artifact update.

Change the init files so that your population cap is lower, you'll stop getting migrant waves (after the first two hardcoded ones) once you hit the cap.

Alternatively make a tiny danger room, put them all inside it via burrows and start pulling levers until only the strongest survive.

Nothing unusual about that.
Put them to work. Expand your industries, get your military up to snuff, dig deeper. The game doesn't really start until that big 3rd migrant wave.

Armok calls for wetwork and we answer it

No greater good, no just cause.

I've made a terrible mistake

[marking for slaughter intensifies]

Will I even get anything from slaughtering poults, or should I just cage them until they grow?

How's fps?

It's manageable.

Didn't realize the pastebin date is the date of original upload rather than date of the last edit.

You'll only get a skull. Cage them until adulthood.

That's actually quite good

>Cage them until the pressure plate is activated
FTFY

I recognize that tile.

Nah chuck em in a pit

da fug happened there

Katanas added when

Looks like a dwarfwash.

Only if it had an advanced construction process like

U-M-Q
"Fold Steel"
Repeat 1000 Times

>nob here
There had better not be xenos in my general.

It's a dwarfwash.

fuck right off
does this look like 40k general?

Sounds like a serious case of heresy.

My guy must look pretty damn badass.

>teeth widely spaced
>2/3 missing
>obese
>stump for one leg and one arm
jesus christ
west_virginia.bmp

Sounds like a serious case of retardism.

Honestly that would be broken as fuck since by the time you were done with it you'd have a legendary weaponsmith

It's that time again

Post your honest representation of your self.

How does reputation work? Does it just effect the people in the civilization you told stuff to?

>again
It has never been, nor will it ever be, that time. If you want to wank over your DF self-portrait you can do it without pretending it's a thing in the general. Also
>inb4 intelligent, nihilistic, and with a wicked sense of humor

Pretty much. Other people also spread rumors for you, and if you pick up a pair of companions they'll occasionally tell people stories of your heroism or villainy inbetween harrowing tales of having been attacked by a raven.

>finds the ideas of independence and freedom somewhat foolish

THESE THINGS COME OUT OF NOWHERE.

And man, they're just so fast.

Is there anything at all I can do with the corpse of a giant?

Better start cranking out some helms.

nope

Do they go right for the head, or do you just mean in general?

uhoh

I'm pretty sure they always try for the head, at least at first. In my experience metal helms reduces your fatality rate by a shitload against GCS's

All creatures will go for the head of a helpless enemy. AFAIK helpless only means unconcious or webbed. So GCS will usually be attacking the head, assuming they got some webs out first.

dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Giant_cave_spider
> If you see a giant cave spider in adventurer mode, an announcement, "You've spotted a Giant Cave Spider!" will appear.

Bloody lying wiki

>All creatures will go for the head of a helpless enemy.
Good to know.

I'll make a mental note of this.

I'm not sure if running is an option, at this point.
Fight, or flight?

>punching the leg

>The giant cave spider has died of old age.

I have him right where I want him

Used my elite dodging skills to hop away, then waited for him to get closer.
He did, but I guess he's more afraid of me than I am of him.

Note: setting yourself on fire will not help burn the webs off faster. I don't know why I tried that before setting the spider on fire, I am not as smart as I sound occasionally.

> You attack the giant cave spider but He jumps away!
Are these things always so jumpy? He jumped away again after relevant image.

Good thing you told me this before I tried it.

>Other bug fixes/tweaks
>Attackers will remove armor from unconscious opponents if it is blocking attacks

It's a good thing GCS don't have hands.

>oh boy, a strange mood!
>possessed
>ignores home-grown gold and dolomite in favor of imported cheaper stuff

Anyone want to try predicting it? So far I've gotten a wooden blowgun decorated with two types of wood and a bone bracelet decorated with bone. At least this one has six ingredients, even if some of them are annoying.

That's it. I'm sick of all this "Masterwork Short sword" bullshit that's going on in Dwarf Fortress right now. Katanas deserve much better than that. Much, much better than that.

I should know what I'm talking about. I myself commissioned a genuine katana in Japan for 2,400,000 Yen (that's about $20,000) and have been practicing with it for almost 2 years now. I can even cut slabs of solid steel with my katana.

Japanese smiths spend years working on a single katana and fold it up to a million times to produce the finest blades known to mankind.

Katanas are thrice as sharp as European swords and thrice as hard for that matter too. Anything a short sword can cut through, a katana can cut through better. I'm pretty sure a katana could easily bisect a dwarf wearing full adamantium armor with a simple vertical slash.

Ever wonder why medieval Europe never bothered conquering Japan? That's right, they were too scared to fight the disciplined Samurai and their katanas of destruction. Even in World War II, American soldiers targeted the men with the katanas first because their killing power was feared and respected.

So what am I saying? Katanas are simply the best sword that the world has ever seen, and thus, require better raws in the game. Here are the raws I propose for Katanas:
[ITEM_WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_KATANA]

[NAME:katana:katanas]
[SIZE:400]
[SKILL:SWORD]
[TWO_HANDED:40500]
[MINIMUM_SIZE:35500]
[CAN_STONE]
[MATERIAL_SIZE:3]
[ATTACK:EDGE:10000000000:400000000000:slash:slashes:NO_SUB:1250000]
[ATTACK_PREPARE_AND_RECOVER:3:3]
[ATTACK:EDGE:50:200000000:stab:stabs:NO_SUB:100000]
[ATTACK_PREPARE_AND_RECOVER:3:3]