/shmupg/ Shooting Game General

This general is for discussing all shmups/stgs (shoot 'em ups/shooting type games).

Previous thread: Need something to play? Check this out: mega.nz/#!mlwG3ZCJ!NMdWxNY4pjqc1vFGwzyPIbtGor0GHObcfENNMgOQW1s

Join us on Steam! steamcommunity.com/groups/shmupg

>RECENT RELEASES:

Mecha Ritz Steel Rondo
store.steampowered.com/app/463070

Ke-Tsu-No-Ana
store.steampowered.com/app/472830

RefRain
store.steampowered.com/app/435970/

Shmups Skill Test
store.steampowered.com/app/430290/

WITCH-BOT MEGLILO:
store.steampowered.com/app/437020/

>UPCOMING RELEASES:

Blue Revolver
bluerevolvergame.com/

Xydonia
indiedb.com/games/xydonia

iMalice
amamoriya.gozaru.jp/imalice/

DoDonPachi Daifukkatsu
cave.degicagames.com/

>Don't forget to vote!
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=660224194

Other links
STG stream aggregator: stgrillz.appspot.com/

/shmupg/ high-score list:
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1K0DesawgMQiFNMv2MZxxwdjzBudCIMMb3BkjQJaHjxI/edit?usp=sharing

/Shmupg/ community YT channel:
youtube.com/channel/UCp2e9X5tR9BLdSlIGjzftDA

Other urls found in this thread:

twitch
youtu.be/tXJXUwNt4zE?t=523
youtube.com/watch?v=5RFxvRsM_ZY
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

First for Casper! Maybe now she won't think I'm stupid anymore!

second for 2hus

How do I add my twitch channel to STGrillz?
It says "Twitch username is "undefined"." when trying to add my channel.

did you connect with twitch?

If you're currently logged in on Twitch, click "Connect with Twitch" and it will fetch your account name. Then, click "Add my Twitch channel" and you'll be in the streamer directory.

When I clcik the "Connect with Twitch" button, nothing really happens. The page seems to get reloaded, but it doesn't seem to fetch my channel.

I wish I could help. I know there was an option I had to opt out of on Twitch before it would work, but I cannot find the option again and my alt doesn't have it either.

I found missing slowdown from Mega Black Label, it's in Arrange mode.

Maybe you should refresh the page, then try the process again. Otherwise, contact 'yorgie', the owner of STGrillz.

If you're using Chromium or maybe Chrome it might be that. It didn't work for me either even with all extensions turned off. Some problem with Twitch's API.
Had to do it in a different browser.

Bump before bedtime.

Why do I have to so ugly? I wanna look like a cute little girl.

Who could be behind this post?

It's just lightning, right? I actually do look cute, but the lightning here is ugly.

this smells like points

What do points smell like? I never noticed any scent besides my own goony stench when I play for score.

Me too!

shmups are way harder than rhythm games lmao

shmups: 50 minutes long with freedom to do tons of crazy shit for scores
rhythm games songs: 2 minutes of simon says

hello????

I only play one of those genres, so I can definitely say shmups are harder.

I ended up having to do it in Microsoft Edge for it to work D:

Yeah. It's not that hard to see improvement in a song of a rhythm game, but sometimes it takes a ridiculously long time to see any improvement when practicing a stage in a shmup.

Those 2 minutes can be full of extremely complex input combinations though, much more complex than what you have to press in shmups.

I mean just watch this game with the smiling drum. The hard mode of this is just insane.

words of a man that has no idea what he's talking about

who cares, if you fail you retry the same short song. rhythm is like super meat boy difficulty, omg this game is sooooooooo hard but each level takes 20 sec to beat. fucking meme genres with meme difficulties.

>you retry
>retrying is never a problem
>you can retry infinitely in one sitting
lmao

As someone who has only played one rhythm game for 10 mins, I can say with total confidence that shmups are way harder.

27th for I always wanted a thing called tuna sashimi

Thread's dead, huh

delete this

why

DELET

grazing the end again are you shmupg?

>tfw kraut is casperfag

I played it on arcade co-op. Playing solo is difficult isn't it, there are almost no slowdown.

Better to graze and get that high score then to death bomb.

B-But I'm the Casperfag, and I am also not Kraut...

I'm terrible at CCWI!

bump

Well I just see his twitch picture, maybe it's just random

Oh huh, I think that's one of the pictures he drew for /shmupg/ last week or so.

1 year and I can't still 1CC dodonpachi hahahah ;_;

Alright, assuming that OBS cooperates, I'm gonna stream some Danmaku Unlimited 2 and then maybe switch it over to Deathsmiles.

twitch tv/harrykoakuma

>right as I get ready to sleep
Damn.

That's what I do best.

You're not alone, I cleared CCWI Original in 2 years

>>right as I get ready to sleep
every damn time

>I cleared CCWI Original
congrats! what's next?

I'm going to try Boost mode a bit, then play another shmups, maybe Deathsmiles. Playing around with Casper seems fun!

casperfag is harry not kraut

Stream is over, thanks for watching. OBS cooperated. I accomplished nothing meaningful. Sakura is an asshole and Windia is a loser. I want to hug Casper.

shmup newfag here,
How do I git gud?

Play a lot and think about how you can improve your performance each time. Don't flail around, try to find a good strategy with the least amount of risk involved so you can repeat it consistently. Learn how to panic bomb and stream bullets properly.

Don't shoot when the shield is up

>stream bullets
what
>Learn how to panic bomb
shouldn't you not panic?

I've been doing like a runthrough a day, I'll keep that in mind when I play. I've mostly played casual, old shmups on NES and PC, not really bullet hell ones.

Mushihimesama is pretty fun, although I die so much I feel bad progressing with so many continues. And can you only beat that boss by surviving that bullet hell?

>I've been doing like a runthrough a day
doing runs until you've learned every level is almost useless. use practice mode/savestates.

Streaming is moving from side to side slowly while all the popcorn enemy bullets pass you by harmlessly because they're aimed at the place you just were. Bombing when you're in a shitty situation where you might die is a very useful skill so learning how to recognize those situations is very important.

>stream bullets
When bullets are aimed directly at your hitbox, you can dodge them with slight movements to one side.

youtu.be/tXJXUwNt4zE?t=523
See this video (at 8:44-ish, if the timestamp didn't work) for an example of streaming to easily avoid a barrage of bullets aimed right at you.

>Learn how to panic bomb
Panic bomb doesn't mean to literally panic, in a matter of speaking. It means you need to learn to "feel" when you're getting overwhelmed and develop a sort of reflex to use a bomb whenever you get that feeling. Doing so will help you survive, since the faster you can bomb when you're in a tough spot, the less likely you'll die with bombs still in stock.

>can you only beat that boss by surviving that bullet hell?
Yeah, kinda. That looks like the TLB (true last boss) so unless you're already playing at a very high ability level, you won't have to worry about fighting something like that. If you're new to shmups, you should probably start off on Novice anyways.

The runthroughs are mostly for fun than practice, but yeah Ive been trying training mode too.

i'm still noob shit just like you, but practicing certain levels/bosses is already more fun than doing actual runs, it feels good to nail it in practice, but i worry a lot and get killed by stupid shit while doing a run.

It's a good idea to vary it up. Sticking to practice mode only can be a pain in the ass, especially the frustration kicks in. Seeing how far you can get on a single credit and competing with your own scores are both fun as fuck and show you how the strategies work in a real run as well as highlight the areas that you should practice more.

Bump before bed. Good night /shmupg/ don't die

thanks for the explanation, i was already doing this stuff by the gut feeling though.
is there some audio podcasts on shmups or stg weekly is all there is?

Mushihimesama Futari stage 5 is truly the greatest SHMUP stage ever made.

It's pretty cool

Why garegga is a best shmup?

Because of what the players have made it into.

Great music, graphic, artstyle, gameplay
Especially the rank system is very detailed

because it's the work of sublime genus

>Why garegga is a best shmup?
Objectively because it has the highest frequency of the shmup community who claim it so, subjectively for me at least it isn't although i do hold it in high regard as the first shmup that really caught my attention many moons ago.

>has the highest frequency of the shmup community who claim it so
Wouldnt that be 2hu? Popularity doesnt really matter

>Anna Meredith has a song called R-Type
>it's not even remotely about R-Type

great track, mind you.

the 2hu community is separate honestly generally i mean arcade only.

my power... is dwindling.... is this as far as I can go?

Don't worry.... we will understand each other someday.

1cc novice before you do anything else and practice the parts you're having trouble with in training mode

that boss only appears on the highest difficutly settings so you don't really have to worry about it

Is Mushihimesama or Futari harder on original?

i find futari much easier since i could get to final boss on original after playing it 3-4 times on mame desu senpai and the super fast bullets on mushihimesama fuck my shit up every time i play it

futa

i think the question is about the original difficultly not the first game

youtube.com/watch?v=5RFxvRsM_ZY

What did he mean by this?

I put the same amount of time into both of those genres and rhythm games are harder, no contest. There's also a higher quantity of high-end content. With shooting games you can get away a lot of the time with just knowledge of the stage layout and the scoring system. In rhythm games you either do it or your body gives up.

>b-but simon says
Whether you have the motor skills to do it is a whole different issue.

His Reco-chan hentai folder probably got deleted

>che in background
Oh look another delusional self loathing victim of marxist indoctrination, it explains his quest for degeneracy and self destruction i guess.

don't give cee any (You)s!

he is right though

I like arranges in Cave games. You can lose all your lives at the last boss and still have a decent score.

Streaming some Witch-Bot meglilo here

twitch tv/klabauter8

is anyone else having trouble loading it? i want to watch. its like zangeki warp right?

I'm not having any trouble watching him play. And it does contain warping which is mildly similar to Zangeki Warps' warp mechanic

Got 'em. Muh first not easymode 1cc - Hellsinker. Pretty fun game as far as survival play goes. Gonna check some scoring info now.

Practicing quite often (like at least once a day or so) is pretty good for improving, doesn't really have to be for a long time, just play through at least one or two hard bosses or some other part that gives you problems.

i just played crimzon clover for 90 minutes and restarted stage 1 about 70 times while i was at it and got to stage 3 once

This is why reaching stage 3 is a celebration to me. Ganbate user!

its that i keep dying to stupid shit or otherwise restart because of any reason

if i wouldnt mind dying once in stage 2 or something like that i would be reaching stage 5 midboss at least but i just cant handle those things

If I get a bad start I just start treating the rest of the run as extra practice. If you get too hung up on having a perfect run then you'll just frustrate yourself.

Meglilo = best shmup

what is the Märchen dimension that she constantly goes to? game seems too hard for me

Marchen dimension is where she gets her satanic powers.

Also the game isn't that hard.

Stream over, thanks for watching again!

On Insane mode the game pretty damn hard.