Show of hands. How many of you noobs have ever gotten this far?

Other urls found in this thread:

jeep4.0performance.4mg.com/stroker.html
youtu.be/Shbc3-29zXE
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Nope. I'm learning though, just recently started wrenching. Painted a set of brake calipers last thursday.

but of course
i even have a spare subaru engine on my bench

notice the date was 2005
been there done that

and others have happened too sadly

There no engine in that car???

Took a motor out of a 69 ford econoline thru the front. Also did an engine swap in a '69 camaro, which was surprisingly easy when you have the hoist and two friends. We did it on a steep driveway so we had to really be careful with the hoist with the engine in it

Yep, multiple times. No pictures on this phone though.

Waa

I'm going for a full on restoration.

>God Tier Ford Barra

Thats not a barra195. Take your false god and fuck off

Almost weekly. Subaru are the easiest. Any german is the worst

I've pulled an engine out of 2 FWD shitbox cars now

Never swapped an engine but I've put in a couple transmissions and done a head/cam swap on a pushrod motor. So I'm close.

7 engine swaps here.
Japs, Euro's and domestics.

Yep. Had a piston skirt shatter at ~146k miles and decided to rebuild the whole engine

The bastard in question

Pulled an engine? Uhhh yea. Have you ever rebuilt one?

Fuuuuuck. I love, LOVE the 4.0, but got damn Chrysler did their best to ruin them. I've got some clatter on my 227k XJ and I'm trying to decide if I want to tear it down or replace the engine. Just fixed the AC too.....

Dropped this out just recently

Rebuilt more than I've swapped. Used to be a machinist

Hmmm. So can I send you my Chevy Heron Head?....

How do you learn to disassemble and rebuild engines? Are forums enough? Should I take a class?

Looks like a Subaru sparkplug replacement

you're black

i have never had sex with a submarine

From today actually.

I need to fabricate some sort of metal bit to get it to reach to the boltholes though, finished rigging up the wiring and everything works, but it's just ziptie'd in right now.

I want to get a blown 4.0 just to make a 4.6 stroker. I dont even have a jeep anymore (right now). Did you by any chance do anything like that when you replaced yours?

I started out sweeping floors and as doing gunk brush work. It was like an apprenticeship. Slowly started moving my up and learned the trade one step at a time. This was before message boards and all that. Taking a class at a community college might be a good idea.

No

No picture- camera out in garage. Seem welded my miata's engine bay while I was swapping from the 1.6 to the 1.8. Bay empty, including seem sealer.

Did you try to rev over 3000?

>pulling the engine out to do plugs on a subroo
Git fucking gud you faggot

Does this count? Replacing core support, also replaced the transmission

Managed to wiggle the engine & trans out of a 2001 camaro.

Was a PITA but I wanted the trans and the 3.8 had a rod knock.
>Paid $400 for the car
>Drove home with a rod knock
>Sold as a roller for $800
>Kept the 4l60e for the 1500
>Sold the 3.8 as a parts block for $200

Not too shabby.

>file deleted?
this board actually has mods? wtf have they been doing this whole time

I would never get this far with an auto. Waste of time.

The first time I cracked open an engine was to replace a burned valve in this 2.4l 5 cylinder. The real misery is that the valve cover directly holds the cams in their journals. The gasket material for the valve cover is literally applied with a wiz roller to the entire thing.

Definitely not the best design.

That's not a barra you faggot

Only in my old civic did I ever have motor/trans both completely in/out.

In all my years of DSMing I've never done more than pull a head or trans.

Well I did buy a parts car once and pull the motor out of it though if that counts.

Mincy bitch

I've replaced the trusty ol' 350 in my chevelle twice but that's about it. Not much more difficult then building a Lego rocket ship. Though I've never really rebuilt it. I just pull her out, strip her to a short block and hand her over to a coworkers/buddies top alcohol team. I just pay for the freeze plugs, bearings, seals, (sometimes) rods, pistons, and whatever the hell else I need. Then a case or two of bud light covers the machine work and assembly. Pretty sweet gig. Then I hand the heads over to another buddy that works for V (he's worried about his job now, though. Madcaps on the market) and he works his magic on my heads for more beer. Then (sometimes them) and a different comp eliminator guy and my ex girlfriends dad ( top dragster guy) completely take over the nitrous. I'm so thankful for the community I've been blessed with.Haha like they say, it's not what you know but who you know. And bough I may mot be able to rebuild and tune a juiced engine on my own. I can prep the shit out of a track. I love it when big teams ask me my opinion on track conditions and now to accommodate them

yuck, my work has me dealing with enough shit

on my truck I've gotten as far as pulling the trans to do the clutch and rear main seal.

On my '56 bug I've broken it down about as much as possible. Pulled the engine, trans, and all the suspension out. Pulled the body off the chassis to replace heater channels, bulkhead, and floor pans. rebuilt the motor, tore it all the way down to the bare case for new bearings and all that jazz.

My other bug as gone as far as having all the suspension removed and the engine/trans out.

Kind of. I pulled the tranny with the motor

not yet. it hasnt failed yet

Of course, taking an engine out is only a 3 hour job.

That's baby shit, try replacing a valve on an engine in just 3 hours.

In the fucking dark.

Honestly, I've been there. Except the replacement valve was sacrificed from a perfectly ruining pro e/t car that took too much stripe in the 1st round. I didn't personally replace the valve but my buddy and I drained and pulled the head of the doner car while the big boys dealer with the recipient car. I don't know how long it took but it was between 1st and 2nd round of a busy ass day so it might have been more then 3 hours. Hectic as fuck none the less though.

Why is the flywheel attached to the transmission?

Never had to. Thank you Engine Jesus, mother of all lubrication for protection my motors.

Total goober

Didn't paint them red or some bullshit like that, just a subtle gunmetal gray. Wasn't even my car, the owner just wanted them to look nice again.

I guess everyone has to start somewhere.

That's my reasoning. The engine rebuilds and swaps will come, just gotta start somewhere accessible.

Man I hit the rev limit just past 5k all the time in that thing
Sadly I didn't and I still kick myself for it. It was my only vehicle at the time so I was in a rush to get it back up AMD running asap which meant just having the cylinders bored .030" over and buying readily available new parts to throw in. I didn't want to spend time tracking down the various pieces to build a stroker. I also wonder if I should have done a cummins 4bt swap

Totally understand. I am in the middle of that myself, struggling with what to replace because I need it on the road, but the whole cars apart so why not replace it all.

jeep4.0performance.4mg.com/stroker.html

I have an old 4.2 siting in a barn and I really want to use those parts with a newer 4.0 to make a 4.6. When the car is put back together I may start collecting the parts to build one just to set in the shed until I fine a cheap Cherokee body. I just think it's neat what you can make out of a bunch of old used parts.

245.11 ci, now, with a slight compression increase. Granted not much, but it's something extra.

just read this board from time to time and you will be a certified mechanic just like the rest of us here on Veeky Forums

I disassembled my car. This is all that is left.

It's always tough to get that far into a project and go back together all stock. When you've only got one roller time is an important factor. I prefer to keep my daily driver close to stock for dependability and to take my time with other projects and do them right.

When my chevy breaks down i really wanna replace with a performance engine but i am way too inexperienced

why mess with a mickey mouse bleed valve when you have a threaded wastegate rod?

OMG UR RITE XD

>muh raised suspension

Okay, put it back in.

>put it back Tyrone

Its a 7lb wga and I'm using a mbc to keep it shut till 18psi.

have you been this far OP?

>trans isn't even out
>bay isn't even stripped
Casual.

Darton sleeved a honda, yeah a few times.

not darton sleeves. what did you set your P2W at if you don't mind me asking?

>P2W
faggot

quality

Trade secret

Hand

youtu.be/Shbc3-29zXE

What's up with these posts lately?
Where's all the tripfags?
And wheres piston? Did he pass away?

Helped my pops replace a 4EAT and 2 3.0's in our Outbacks. Does that count?

Took a long break from Veeky Forums. Came back and all the tripfags are gone. Where did they go?

>Giving a shit about trip fags.
>Implying they dont just benchrace and assume they know what theyre talking about

the last 4.0 i rebuilt out of an 89 had three pistons in pieces and still ran. Im not sure why these engines are so prone to breaking piston skirts but its very common.

I would suggest if you hear any clatter to rebuild the engine as you probably have broken skirts. The engine i rebuilt one of the pistons literally came out in three pieces, im amazed it still ran.