Hydropneumatic suspension

I know this was popular in french cars (maybe still is? We don't get any here in the states) and found its way into some German cars as well (Mercedes S-classe and E-classe).

With "stance" now a thing, and putting your car on airbags now something that can be DIY'd, does anyone know if there are any companies that make Hydropneumatic suspension kits? It seems like a good compromise between coilovers and airbags for a suspension replacement, seeing as you can adjust the ride height and spring rate independently.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=n_ZF5yBjl0c
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>Buying a French car in the US
>Buying a French car in the US with Hydro suspension
You have to be either insane, have a lot of money, or both.

>hydros

QUICK JETTISON ALL HUB CAPS NOW!!!

That file name.

>the younger coupe, startled by the elder's threat display, tries to make itself look bigger to avoid being preyed upon.

Good coilovers let you adjust damping and ride height independently.
On a somewhat related note, my new-ish Ram has adjustable air suspension, if that counts.

But not spring rate, and not in a way that you could just push a button from the inside to raise the car to go over speedbumps.

Granted, I don't know enough about suspension design to really say that it matters, maybe I should just be looking at airbags or coilovers with a hydraulic lifter, but there's so much cool valving you can do with hydropnuematic, and the ability to raise it up without making it ride like a truck (with airbags when you raise it up you also stiffen the springs, not sure if long term running on raised coilovers is really recommended) is a really nice feature.

Jeep grand Cherokee suspension is adjustable.

I think the same system is on ram.

youtube.com/watch?v=n_ZF5yBjl0c

I have a xantia with hydropnematic and from seeing the system I think you coud just buy a old trashed xantia for like 200 buck and rip out the suspention system and put it in another car. with a bit of skill I think it sould be doable.

keks

The only real problem with the Citroen system is that the fluid is hydrophillic as fuck, and water fucks up the pumps

An old trashed xantia will likely have duff suspension parts

mine didn't and in france and europe you will allways find one in the junkyard near where you live so even if you pump is dead you go and get a new one for cheap.

Fair enough, but I've never seen a 10 year old (or older) citoren in Scotland with functional suspension

Sadly hydropneumatic suspension is only used in construction equipment nowadays, but honestly just get airbag suspension if you want to make a DIY car of that nature. It'll be very difficult to retrofit the suspension from a citroen into another car.

Most of the hydropneumatic cars here in portugal have fully working suspension despite their otherwise poor overall condition. Hydropneumatic suspension is much more reliable than people think it is, it just requires plenty of attention.

Poortugal is dry though, here in Scotland it rains like 250 days a year so there's a much higher chance of water fucking up the system

The minor gain in comfort of hydropneumatic suspension over air suspension isn't worth the monumental headache of trying to retrofit hydropneumatic suspension. Maintenance isn't trouble free either. Just get an air suspension installed and be done with it.

Hydropneumatic suspenion is rad until it gives out

Its a lot more upkeep than your average leaf & spirings, but they do improve the ride quality and can be set up more "precisely" for different driving methods with different settings

Still; I wouldn't want a DD with it that doesn't have a warranty

There are many 30 year old cars here with hydropneumatic suspension that works perfectly. The truth is it's more likely to get struck by lightning than have the suspension give out in these cars.

Don't forget that citroen had already been perfecting this suspension for two decades, so it had to be well built and reliable even by the 80s.

That's not hydropneumatic, though.

I live in south of france. but without knowing where the user live you can't tell.

1800€

PER

SHOCK

Yea, but you get a similar result.