/agdg/ - Amateur Game Dev General

DDX is Over! Play games, leave feedback.

>Latest Demo Day (X)
itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-10

>Next Game Jam (Lewd -- Blueboard rules still apply)
itch.io/jam/lewd-jam-2016

>Lewd Jam Collabs
docs.google.com/document/d/1K9wlzcJntyOCV3KLvRcvllZ2ZUnGgrDtiwPdMLlw5XQ/edit?usp=sharing
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Sm0Pxz0uq-62L46TdXmKisynbhLI_by-pLNlcgo4B8M/edit?usp=sharing

>Next Demo Day (11)
itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-11

Helpful Links: tools.aggydaggy.com/# (Still in beta)
New Threads: Archive: boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/agdg/
AGDG Logo: pastebin.com/iafqz627

>Previous Demo Days
pastebin.com/X6fLvtzA

>Previous Jams
pastebin.com/qRHNpCbZ

>Chats
steamcommunity.com/groups/vgamedevcrew
webchat.freenode.net/?channels=vidyadev

>Engines
GameMaker: yoyogames.com/gamemaker
Godot: godotengine.org/
Haxe: haxeflixel.com/
LÖVE: love2d.org/
UE4: unrealengine.com/what-is-unreal-engine-4
Unity: unity3d.com/

> Models/art/textures/sprites
opengameart.org/
blender-models.com/
mayang.com/textures/

> Free audio
freesound.org/browse/
incompetech.com/music/
freemusicarchive.org/

Other urls found in this thread:

streamable.com/ll1f
fluttershaft.itch.io/horizontunnel
youtube.com/watch?v=xajMfQuVnp4
youtube.com/watch?v=xYQrPsyu-1s
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Fuck, I missed all DDX fanart done by that guy. Anyone could dump?

>looking through old code and finding this

either i was just that lazy copy/pasting or my grammar really ain't no good

This was drawn for me a few days ago

I love it

I like it. Attacks and hits have a nice feel to them. The speed feels pretty good too. I had a hard time seeing the tell of the green mushrooms.

I also recorded myself playing it for the first time (no commentary), if that information is helpful to you. Resolution is a bit messed up as I forgot to change the setting in OBS.
streamable.com/ll1f

cute

so game maker is on humble bundle right now

should i buy or not ?

Sure

Me and my game

it's essentially free, why not

I got published by devolver and you can too.
Just make sure you have an artist and a programmer.

Why does webmcam run like shit for me

It never goes higher than 24 fps, it blurs the resolution of the video and it always records me clicking record at the end no matter where I cut off the frames

Only 2.5k views? That is nothing man.. personally i consider video a success if it gets 50k views or more, not even money, since those videos don¨t make money by default, just the bare views so you know you are on the right track

>tfw delusional idea guy have never and will never make any game but I'm a better game designer than anyone in the world

use obs and webm for retards. I had the same problems until I switched

Mr. Rogers was a wonderful man. Him and Bob Ross were the kings of comfy feel good

Dev on, user.

>personally i consider video a success if it gets 50k views or more
this is you when 49k views

Nah use ShareX, it's the absolute best. And webm for retards yeah.

today is the day i realized floats are evil and everything should always be rounded

When I'm learning something and I can't understand I go into my bob ross and mr rogers folder for motivationno bully

>Dev on, user.
I'm trying but it's hard

i like your zombos more than your player. Zombos are actually solid design and appropriate for a final product, even at this state, player design is a tossaway

>but I'm a better game designer than anyone in the world
My 6 year old cousin can be an idea guy or game designer

The hard part is putting ideas into practice and having everything work together properly, designing games before you've ever programed before and after is completely different

that bait was delicious

Swap the cakes and you got it.

It wasn't even bait
>delusional
You just trolled yourself.

This is important, is your guns hitscan or projectile.

Do you have other guns planned?

What kinda game are you going for?

and I agree with this user Consider doing something for your protag. Maybe a bandanna facemask? I'm a sucker for those. I'd say go for a more striking design with either going full on fucked up and ragged survivor look, or maybe an armored dude like HUNK from RE4 Mercenaries mode.

but thats wrong.

What's stopping you from making a game?

Fucking cute.

no that's you
>make shit game
>think your shit game is better than the actual good game
>good game gets famous while your shit game gets ignored
>consumer rightfully chooses to play good game instead of shit game

>implying cakestwo isnt going to have terrible user reviews and cause steam to change their refund policy

so I closed the "compile messages" windows in game maker. how do I make it appear again?
game maker should have a "view" tabe like any other software desu

Ulillillia?

My first game, made in a ~month in spare time, released in February but w/e

fluttershaft.itch.io/horizontunnel

What do you think, user?

what a pleb. time and speed are clearly floats.

Window > Show Compile Form

Makes me think of downwell turned on its side.

he literally only eats pizza yet there are all fast food stands except pizza
autistic as fuck

So I'm trying to deal with collisions for my platformer tier game (same idea for top down collision though) and I'm wonder if the way I want to do it is viable.

So basically I check collision with normal bounding box checks, and after that I want to find a vector on one of the corners colliding into it and I want to calculate a vector going in the other direction so I can move the box out of the collided box while keeping the direction the same.
I know some linear algebra but it turns out I'm kind of retarded when it comes to this. I don't know if my pic helps or not

Thanks user. At this point I'm just going to scrap the player model and start a new one

Projectiles is the plan

Pistols, revolvers, shotgun, rifles, grenade launchers, flamethrower and I actually have some idea of how to differentiate them in gameplay if everything pans out, even though I know I'm already thinking too big.

Also this might sound retarded but my game is going to be a weird mish mash, alternating between some kind of metalslug stealth game fusion and then city building

it looks like half of those assets are ripped from downwell

That was the concept, went for something simple to get shit DONE

thanks
I feel stupid now

>Learning Godot via video tutorials
>Guy doing it is a Spaniard
>It's a good tutorial but he's going at 100mph and his accent is so thick I need to use most of my brain power to work out what the fuck he just said
>First two episodes are easy, he doesnt really need to explain some of the terminology coz it's straightforward
>Start getting into more complicated code
>He isn't explaining what a function or command does
>Or if he is, he's slurring it so quickly it feels like he's speaking some long forgotten gutter language
>Lose patience for learning because this guy just needs to calm down and enunciate.

Fuck guys I just want to like make game.

learn GM then, its literally free right now

>context

Have you ever personally played a new game, loved it and then thought to yourself "man, I really want to play another game, which is nearly identical to this one but with less features and at least slightly worse overall"?

>my game is going to be a weird mish mash, alternating between some kind of metalslug stealth game fusion and then city building

Hey, it worked for actraiser, which blended side scrolling hack and slash with city building, this world needs more hybrid mashup ideas like that, I wish you the best of luck on making that work. How's ammo and combat gonna be handled? I'm assuming your guns will have limited ammo and when you run dry you resort to avoiding zombies?

and shit did get done, what do you have planned next?

Godot, from what I've learned so far, feels more natural. I tried GM before but I just did not like how it worked.

I have a little experience with Python already, so that's probably a factor there.

I just need a clear, well-tempo'd tutorial to hold my hand while I find my feet.

~*edgy*~

Does anyone remember that game that looked like metroid, but the graphics were mostly black and the sprites were just colored outlines?
It looked really cool, did it end up in dev hell?

that's what keeps my depression going on

are you talking about that one where the dev added a swinging hookshot, an energy sword and a bunch of other cool shit? I was wondering the same thing

The zombies are going to be surrounded by clouds of gas that infect you if they get in melee range, which is basically instant death. When they notice you, they go sanic fast as fuck at you. They'll be patrolling around and hidden behind stuff and the idea is to not piss off too many at once and get overwhelmed. Later you'll be in much more difficult areas with more zombies but get a gas mask. When zombies are in melee range it'll deplete the filter (with a meter to show) and you have to change the filter before it runs out or they'll get you like before.

If you go to balls to the wall or you're too good it'll summon a left 4 dead style zombie horde to fuck you from all directionsbut if your encampment is doing really well and stocked with dudes and supplies, there's a chance that when a horde spawns, you'll have backup arrive to help you fight them off, success raises the morale of the troops big time but you could lose some of your fighters permanently

>already paid for a few game dev related things and even bought game maker already but each time it felt like a waste
>but I might eventually go back to game maker and this deal is insane

man I'm paralyzed by indecision, it's only 15 goddamn dollars but that's not the point, if I buy this and then realize I wasted my money I'm going to feel cukt

it's only 15$ if you care about exporting to mac or linux (you shouldn't)

It looked like this.

Don't you mean Android/mobile?

Even worse

I remember what you're talking about, and I have no idea what happened to that dev. It was a damn shame too, the game looked great

Fucking damn... it was the best looking game on here, I wanted to play that. Looked so fun.

I personally don't care for the android/mobile exporting thing. I don't see anything on the site for a Linux or Mac OS exporting being a module, so I guess that falls under the stock "desktop" export you get with Pro. Which is fine with me.

No idea about HTML5 exporting.

alright everything is working now. just spent 30 minutes debugging a missed call to abort self on a certain node.

the last thing I have to do now is switch from using unreal time to using my custom time of day manager, which kind of sucks but oh well. this basically means instead of specifying a number of seconds to track the player, I specify a number of in-game minutes (each minute is 2.5 seconds). so it's a lot less granular, but still works on the same concept

buy it now or you will regret not getting it while its cheap

is

is that the Batter?

>the batter

It's batter not The Batter, you realize the guy from OFFjust generic baseball player design?

youtube.com/watch?v=xajMfQuVnp4

Can you blame me? It's a very simple and striking design.

So what do you got planned for this game?

all my lewd jam ideas are too wholesome. what can i do to fix this?

Gif is just one boss, WIP, there will be ~7 non linear areas/levels, about the same amount of bosses, some story. It's pretty standard shooty platformer + some my ideas

Isn't a bee gathering pollen basically plant bukkake?

You don't, we need more lewd-but-not-degenerate games

youtube.com/watch?v=xYQrPsyu-1s

That's some sexy shit right there

On scale from 1 to 10 how much do you rate the sound of your own voice when you hear it recorded via mic?
I did some sound takes for some dialog in my game but maaan it sounds so weird to me

no one called me a faggot when I recorded videos for their demos, but I still think I sound like one

>tfw everyone was probably just being polite
that is how i feel every time someone doesn't shit on my work

you realize people are going to see this and think "that's Batter from OFF"?

1/10

I think I sound mentally deficient when I listen to a recording of myself but people mistake my voice for my brother's all the time and I think his voice sounds fine

>tfw if i was lucky and had some buttery voice i could rake that money in by just doing lets plays on youtube without any real effort

I hope these are an improvement

the bottom two dudes are better

having eyes on characters this small seems like a bad idea

honestly if you removed the dotted eyes, added shading and added a pixel here or there, you'd get that konami aesthetic down pretty well

I think that it's important to take criticism seriously, but you also need to allow yourself to receive compliments on your work. Being told "well done" for something can boost your motivation and it can show you what you're doing right.

Know what you're doing right is arguably just as important as knowing what you're doing wrong - they're not the same thing, afterall.

I dislike collisions fundamentally as an idea in game design.

Is there an alternative to the concept of collisions? Will I be a genius if I create a greater, more efficient alternative? There must be a better way.

There is a lot of games thatdon't have collisions

I will post my game in 13 days!

Thanks genius but in meant in situations where a game would have collisions.

Ok, last update tonight. Real-time and turn-based AI are both working with the new sight/sound system. Enemies can now track properly in turn-based mode, as explained before, because it's using in-game time rather than system time - currently it's set to 5 in-game minutes which is 12.5 seconds. In the video you can see that I break line of sight (and am not moving so no sound), and he still tracks me because it's within the 5 in-game minutes.

The one major bug left is that if an enemy sees you, and then you go around a corner but are still within 4m of it, the enemy can attack you through a wall for potentially up to 2.5s, as 2.5s is the minimum amount of time my game currently tracks. So if I want to fix this I'll have to reorganize how some stuff works in the time manager. It's not a priority for now though and I'll just stick it on the to-do list for later if I find it's a big problem.

I think I have a few spell slots left on the Body Magic page so I may try to add Sneak/Invis spells later just for fun to see how it goes.

>called in sick today, but starting to feel a bit better so get out of bed and go sit in my office
>want to work on my game
>can't push to remote because my colleagues will see the timestamps on my commits

I either need to figure out how to doctor those without breaking git's database, or (and I'm not sure this will work) do everything on a branch and rebase it all in a day or two. Anyone else ever had to forge their VCS history for any reason?

In my game, if there are two enemies of the same type, they're marked by letters. For example, if there are two enemies of the Swordsman type, then one is "Swordsman A" and the other is "Swordsman B."

I was wondering if there's a way of incrementing a char the same way you could an integer.

Here is what I'm attempting in pseudocode.

char c = 'A';
foreach (Swordsman s in Swordsmen)
{
Swordsman.name = Swordsman.name + " " + c;
c++;
}

I already have a working program, I'm just seeing if there's a way to clean it up. c# and unity btw.

Will your game feature this idiot?

Care to explain why you hate them?

char is just an 8 bit integer type mate

Ok, last update tonight. Real-time and turn-based AI are both working with the new sight/sound system. Enemies can now track properly in turn-based mode, as explained before, because it's using in-game time rather than system time - currently it's set to 5 in-game minutes which is 12.5 seconds. In the video you can see that I break line of sight (and am not moving so no sound), and he still tracks me because it's within the 5 in-game minutes.

The one major bug left is that if an enemy sees you, and then you go around a corner but are still within 4m of it, the enemy can attack you through a wall for potentially up to 2.5s, as 2.5s is the minimum amount of time my game currently tracks. So if I want to fix this I'll have to reorganize how some stuff works in the time manager. It's not a priority for now though and I'll just stick it on the to-do list for later if I find it's a big problem.

I think I have a few spell slots left on the Body Magic page so I may try to add Sneak/Invis spells later just for fun to see how it goes.

reposting cause webm broke

wait, so c++ actually works and returns 'B'?

>Bob Silverberg
Oy vey?

yes you could even do something like
char c = rand() % 26 + 'A';
to generate a random capital letter