/agdg/ - Amateur Game Dev General

Lewd Jam in 3 Days.
Play DDX games, leave feedback for devs.

>Latest Demo Day (X)
itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-10

>Next Game Jam (Lewd -- Blueboard rules still apply)
itch.io/jam/lewd-jam-2016

>Lewd Jam Collabs
docs.google.com/document/d/1K9wlzcJntyOCV3KLvRcvllZ2ZUnGgrDtiwPdMLlw5XQ/edit?usp=sharing
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Sm0Pxz0uq-62L46TdXmKisynbhLI_by-pLNlcgo4B8M/edit?usp=sharing

>Next Demo Day (11)
itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-11

Helpful Links: tools.aggydaggy.com/# (Still in beta)
New Threads: Archive: boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/agdg/
AGDG Logo: pastebin.com/iafqz627

>Previous Demo Days
pastebin.com/X6fLvtzA

>Previous Jams
pastebin.com/qRHNpCbZ

>Chats
steamcommunity.com/groups/vgamedevcrew
webchat.freenode.net/?channels=vidyadev

>Engines
GameMaker: yoyogames.com/gamemaker
Godot: godotengine.org/
Haxe: haxeflixel.com/
LÖVE: love2d.org/
UE4: unrealengine.com/what-is-unreal-engine-4
Unity: unity3d.com/

> Models/art/textures/sprites
opengameart.org/
blender-models.com/
mayang.com/textures/

> Free audio
freesound.org/browse/
incompetech.com/music/
freemusicarchive.org/

Other urls found in this thread:

discord.gg/2PAVY
dropbox.com/s/tfxcqa16t15ac6y/raycasting.gmz?dl=0
gameprogrammingpatterns.com/component.html
docs.unrealengine.com/latest/INT/Engine/Animation/AnimMontage/
youtube.com/watch?v=zQrNQtfNOHc
monolithdevs.tumblr.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

come chat about your new game maker studio problems
discord.gg/2PAVY

So in /jp/ Someone posted some Loli Simulator. Any-words on what happen?

How do I stop being an unmotivated lazy fuckhead and actually get down on some good ole' gamedev?

Archive

any link?

Ask on Great Chan's /agdg/

posting again for visibility, a GML problem

the "bullet" im shooting is just a very long sprite that is spawned at the barrel of the gun. I want it to cut off when it reaches collision with a wall. either stretching it to fit or just stopping drawing once it reaches the collision are both fine.

how would i do that?

and how do I reference the specific point of collision with the specific wall im colliding with, in GML?

>tfw you finally get your stub working
>tfw when your dream of jlmg went from being a dream to being feasible
>tfw when enginedev

Never give up

do It's a giant pain in the ass but it'll work.

there really has to be an easier way.

Without an inbuilt raycast that is the easiest way. If you really want to jank it up you could shoot a small invisible object at max speed in the same direction with move_contact_solid, then use its position to calculate the scale. That might work.

Can't you shoot raycast line til it collides with something and return the vector2 if it collides with something.

What's the functionality?
It travels to the edge of the screen unless it hits a wall or enemy?

it's just a very long sprite. i know. im terrible

GML doesn't have built in 2D raycasting as far as I can see.

That sounds like a good excuse to build one yourself.
Get to work, user.

I'm actually , and yes, I'm doing it right now :^)

>GML doesn't have built in 2D raycasting
Wow I thought "gamemaker is shit" was supposed to be just a meme

I'd say that you'll be getting rid of the sprite and replacing it with a line draw in probably every fix anyone will give you.
Off the cuff, I'd say do a loop along the vector of the line from the gun to the edge of the screen and do a point collision check every iteration and if you do get a collision return, then save that point and break out of the loop.
Then just draw a line between the gun and that point.

What was the last original game anyway?

Oh I didn't know there isn't a built in raycast. You can build one yourself though.

Create an end point for your laser (or count going off screen as collision). Then when you fire your laser check if there is any collision between the start point of your laser and the end point of your laser.

Using those four points ( x,y,h,w ) you can do math to find if there is any collision in between before firing. If there is a collision, log the vector2 of whatever you collided with and use that as your new end point before actually firing the laser. If there is no collision fire to the original end point.

z

He used to post here an year ago, and he posts in the other chan now.

Who in their right mind thought it was a good idea to make micro plugins of every tiny mobile feature for construct 2?

these are just the ones i managed to fit on one screen

How long did it take for you to display a sprite?

4 years?

Do loop that goes lengthdir with len increased each iteretion until it collides, then break; the number of iterations/sprite_width is the xscale you set the sprite to, put origin at the left edge of sprite. Done.

HOLY FUCK THANK U GUYS

i set the width of the sprite back to 0 and wrote this, fuck tha haterz

>enemy attack animation sends finish notification
>enemy begins next attack
>on the same frame
>animation gets locked into attacking mode because it thinks the state hasn't changed
fuck, what do I do

I need a way to restart the animation every time a new attack comes in

>i set the width of the sprite back to 0
i meant 1, sorry

you obviously make it wait an extra frame before beginning the next animation and of course ensure the state has changed and check for it.

post code

anyway I think I'm gonna try making it wait for the animation to finish before the enemy finishes his turn cause I think I might want it to do that anyway

About 4 hours
What I really wanted was to get my RTS dream game running, with both local and global lighting, map editor and actual scripting for levels.
That took me 6 months because OpenGL is fucking retarded and there are no good resources out there.

dropbox.com/s/tfxcqa16t15ac6y/raycasting.gmz?dl=0
Well, just in case you need to use "proper" raycasting at some point, keep this. Give it an origin and a direction (and some parameters referring to precision), and it'll give you an array of x and y of where the ray hit.

thanks user!

No prob broski, it's also a binary search example.

I'm reading on structuring your game with a component system, like Unity for example. I'm especifically reading from here gameprogrammingpatterns.com/component.html
But there's one thing it doesn't explain and I don't understand, pic related.

What if we only want certain components in a gameobject instance? What if we want them in a different order? What if we want to add components during runtime?

How do you actually do that? do you just make 9999 constructors with each possible combination? What about runtime?

surely there's an addComponent() function or something

>$1.39 for vibration plugin
>shit's no doubt like 1 line of code if you did it yourself
fff

Why is this thread boring. Interest me.

It's not about already written systems like Unity, it's about how to implement systems like those

So for example, how does addComponent() actually work?

I would, but I'm suffering from crippling procrastination and the pages upon pages of design documents I've written up will never become reality because the moment I actually commence work on a game I have to drop it because it's important and I can't start or finish important tasks.

Breh why not use montages for attacks? This way you have full control over exactly when the animation starts running.

Congrats man. Looks really good.

I don't know how to use those. Can I run a montage separate from my animation graph, and then have it go back to the anim graph once the montage is finished?

>buy the plugin
>use it in the code like so:
>Plugin.Vibrate();
>the original way to vibrate without the plugin is likely Base.Vibrate()
>the source of the plugin is: public void Vibrate(){Base.Vibrate();}

Can you not just go

myComponents.Add( new ExplosiveComponent());

That's pretty much what montages are. They overpower whatever current animation is running and resume from where it was once they're finished.

Documentation on them:
docs.unrealengine.com/latest/INT/Engine/Animation/AnimMontage/

Or video tutorials :
youtube.com/watch?v=zQrNQtfNOHc
(Watch this and the next 2 more )

So basically i am using the pirated unity, but i need to switch to the normal free edition so i can compile my game project in it and release it looking like it was made in the free verson
Can i do that?
I don't want to install unity on another computer or in a VM i just want to disable the paid licence in my current editor for a bit

Why would you use pirated unity?

I actually like how this turned out a lot. I think M&M worked the same way where the enemy turn didn't end until they finished attacking. I was worried the game would be too slow with this but I think as long as I keep the animations really fast like this it should be fine. Previously, each enemy would attack the next tick after the last enemy, so effectively all enemies would attack at the same time which could make it harder to figure out what's going on (who's doing the most damage, who's in range, etc).

I also fixed a bug in turn based mode when a party member was dead, so as far as I know, I've fixed all the bugs which soft-lock the game in turn mode. With these fixes, I think my AI is in a good enough state that I can continue on developing the dungeon.

Neat, I might try that tomorrow. I suspect I won't even have to change any code except for switching the 1 line from IsAttacking = true to Montage.Play() or whatever.

The free version lacks some important functionality i need

Like what?

darker theme?

not him, but the dark theme is one of the most important features, anyone serious about dev stares at the unity editor countless hours every day and the light theme would literally make you kill yourself

The free version hasn't been functionally different from the pro version since 4.x

Oh yeah? Let's see how you run your shitty game without a gayass splash screen and dev it in the sexy tier dark themed editor.

I already want to kill myself so I guess the light theme doesn't add much to it

Soon you will be able to customize the splash screen and even change its color.

too bad that version is so broken it cant even build right now

Does the free one even have the profiler?

If anyone was interested in this I've just gone to github and check out the source code of entity-component systems that are out there

Well hopefully i will be able to save my overscoped i game i spent lots of time on.
I got actually not a shit idea on how to cut shit down but still keep it interesting. Let's see how it goes

Son, this board is for professionals, we all know how basic stuff like this works, you should perhaps go to the reddit instead if you need help with complete basics such as that

bait too obvious have your withdrawal (you) and work on your addiction

In your example above the components are hard coded for quick access but say in unity most components are (no longer) given that kind of access and instead it probably goes and it probably keeps a hash table or some shit.

>this board is for professionals
90% of this general uses GameMaker and drag-and-drop
8% use Unity and Playmaker
1% use RPG Maker
1% use Unreal Engine 4 + visual scripting

No one here can code.

progress haha :')

Sup attentionboy here is a (You). Glad I could help! Let me know if you need another.

Or just reply to yourself about how disgusting source is (a cry for (Yous)) and I'll give some more (You)s to you then!

>playmaker
>paying for a unity plugin

is this the kind of """"""""""""""work""""""""""""" that passes for game dev in this general

disgusting

:^)

I like it. Doesn't seem like you've added to this for a while though, so perhaps work on that?

delet

What about me, user

Here's another (You) for you! If you ever need attention again just post this again. Every day if need be (as you have been).

We're here for you!

It's Unity with Playmaker. You can't code.

That's Doom with SLADE as an editor though, you krungus

Another (You) for our beloved attentionboy. Basically a mascot of AGDG by now.

That sword throw is sick as fuck.

i know i've posted this webm multiple times now but its the best reference for my question.
Im trying to limit the characters movement between each other, atm im thinking of adding collision spheres or pawn sensing components to each character and then on overlap or on sensed check a bool for inRange and the opposite for end overlap or they go out of the sense range.
Just wondering if there is a better way to do this in UE4 with blueprints.

why havent we murdered who ever makes this yet

can we not mail him a b*mb or something

>krungus
What?

That's what I said when I got the sprites in and got the mechanics down in a way that feels good.

How about this powered sword attack?

I don't know. I use other insults other than just "faggot" for the sake of variety. If I managed to make you stop and wonder what the fuck I just said, I must have done something right.

you donut

lmao who actualy thinks this is ok

It'd be helpful if I understood what it is he is trying to accomplish, because I have literally no idea at this point...

Holy shit Godot has really gone a long way since I tried it last year

might consider using it desu, anyone using Godot can chime in?

==|AGDG Weekly Recap|==
Game Name: Monolith
Dev Name: AlexMdle, PureQuestion & ArcOfDream
Tools Used: Game Maker: Studio, Paint.net, pxTone
Website(s): monolithdevs.tumblr.com/
Progress:
+ quality of life demo day feedback fixes (slider clickability, button sizes, 16-aim, layout changes and a window lockup fix)
+ added water
+ floor 3 assets (background, blocks, props, etc.)
+ mouse is now both rebindable and rebindable to
+ waterfall and waterfall source objects

There are many things here that need to be removed.

Looking great user

looks good man.

More cries for help! Glad you're reaching out.

Here's that (You) you needed.

I can't find any trustworthy torrents for Marvelous Designer 5. Is it even cracked?

You plan on keeping the sci-fi walls?

It feels that if you could get some medieval environment it would be GOAT.

>can we not mail him a b*mb or something

> OpenGL
> not Vulkan

Get with the times, grandpa.