2008+ Chevy Cobalt SS Turbo

So according to my research, a Cobalt SS Turbo from 2008 onward is the cheapest way to be faster than just about everything you see on the road in America. Sadly it's FF, but am I wrong? This thing has muscle car-tier 0 to 60mph (5.5 seconds) times for a quarter of the cost in a fucking I4. That's incredible.

Sure, it's >Chevy and the interior is plastic fantastic but their 2.xl Ecotec is well known as a reliable engine and the F35 transmission is bulletproof.

Yea yea I know what you're thinking.
>MUH DEADLY KEYS
That was solved in a recall which GM will do for free. Even then if you don't have thirty key charms it should never happen.

Yes, the exterior styling looks like a crossbreed between a Cavalier in front and a Corvette in back but it could very well be worse. Overall it's fairly clean and rounded. The tall spoiler can easily be replaced with something that won't block your vision.

Maybe I'm missing some part of this car that's bad, but it seems like it's the best performance/price ratio car in America. Nothing else comes close. Not Civic SIs, not FiSTs, nothing.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Qrs0oa-XIV4
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

It's faster than a skyline gtr for about an 1/8 of the cost. Do it

Its a Cobalt

Its pretty much the definition of a fast shitbox. Its not very comfortable, its poorly built, and all the people who had SRT4s in the mid 2000s jumped over to SS Turbos as soon as they came out making them hard to find in good shape without some stupid fucking reflash or aftermarket turbo w/meth injection already done to it. Its pre-bankruptcy GM at its finest.

And quite frankly I don't see it staying a good "overall package" once you go past basic bolt ons (so like 300-320whp~?), the power will likely be too much for front wheels to propel and corner at the same time.

350Zs are pretty much in the same price range nowadays. You either can get a Ghosen-Era Nissan with a French drivetrain or a pre-bankruptcy GM sport compact shitbox that's noteworthy for its meme lap times.

>meme lap times.
benchracers on Veeky Forums would love it!

Because rwd and raw power is always best right

>350Zs are pretty much in the same price range nowadays
Really? I've been looking and I typically saw Cobalt SS Turbos for 5-9 grand while 350zs were at least 10 grand.

Probably a HR (2007-09) car. I see them for $7-9k for a 2003-2006 car (usually DEs with the occasional iffy RevUp or high mileage HR).

Honestly the Cobalt SS is a good car if you can accept its pretty much the same as a Neon SRT4. Just don't go full retard with the power mods if you want to keep the ability to turn

Depends if your commute is on the Nurburgring every morning get the Cobalt, otherwise it'll probably be more fun.

>accept its pretty much the same as a Neon SRT4
Excpet it looks 100% better. Neons are ugly as fuck, while the Cobalts are just plain.

>Ghosen-era
Is this good or bad?

bad. Carlos Ghosn has single-handedly ruined Nissan. They're profitable now because of his, but they're no longer cars you WANT to buy. The CVT transmissions they use (so pretty much 95% of their line up) are hilariously unreliable. 3-4 transmission replacements BEFORE 100k isn't unheard of on Ghosn-era cars. And engine replacements before 50k (particularly with the 2.5L I4).

Thing is good but transmission and linkages are shit. Manuel at max gets around 130k-150k miles before completely bricking.
Also ricers love to kill them with trees and blow out gaskets and never replace timing belts like they do with preludes.

Tell me about chevy. Why do they kill econo coupes that compete(spec and price wise).

this is why you switch to the 5 speed manual from the base model Cobalt, the Getrag F23. Cavalier builds have shown they can handle over 400 HP with nothing but a clutch upgrade.

Neons are a mess with interior and reliability as well.
There is a saturn equivalent to the cobalt thats bretty comfy but lack some power.

Exactly. Though there are many people that don't think it'll work for some reason. Similar to people not getting rsx parts work in the em2 for most the suspension set up as well as parts in the trany.

>There is a saturn equivalent to the cobalt thats bretty comfy but lack some power.
The Saturn Ion Redline.
2.0L supercharged.
Officially rated at 205 HP. A magazine (I think Sport Compact Car) tested one back in the day and it put 197 HP to the front wheels when they threw it on the dyno, which means closer to 220/230 HP. GM under-rated them

It'll work. You just need the 1 inch spacer they used between the LSJ/LNF and the F35. They actually used a spacer because the 2.0L has a fuckhuge clutch not shared with the 2.2L or 2.4L.

A v6 Mustang os gastes though and RWD, you can get one for around 10k.

>3-4 transmission replacements BEFORE 100k isn't unheard of on Ghosn-era cars
Holy fuck. So what's the best time to buy a Nissan three numbered fun car?

When it comes to Ghosn-era Nissans, the best and most reliable cars are the RWD models like the Infiniti G35 (coughskylinev35cough) and the 350Z.
The numerous transmission issues are with the CVT transmissions used in all the FWD and AWD vehicles (barring the GTR) since 2007.
If you must buy a Ghosn-era FWD Nissan, there are a few bits of advice.
1: avoid cars with the 2.5L QR25DE engine like the plague. The precat likes to disintegrate, then backflow into the engine and destroy it from the inside out. The means avoiding all 2002-2011 Nissan Sentra SE-R's.
2: Only get 2002-2006 automatics. Ghosn didn't switch every automatic to CVT's until 2007.
3: if you HAVE to get a car newer than 2006, make sure it has a manual transmission and doesn't have the 2.5L. The 1.6L, 1.8L, 2.0L, and 3.5L are all perfectly fine, but at least 60% of Nissans sold had that 2.5L I4.

The 2.5L QR25DE was supposed to be the official replacement for the older SR20 engine, but it's nowhere near as reliable.

>the best and most reliable cars are the RWD models like the Infiniti G35 (coughskylinev35cough) and the 350Z.
Well that's good to hear. When I said "fun car" I really meant "RWD car". I've driven FWD cars my whole life and I'm kind of bored of them now.

>3: if you HAVE to get a car newer than 2006, make sure it has a manual transmission and doesn't have the 2.5L
Thanks

You have to remember 80-90% of Nissan's sales are FWD sedans (Versa/Sentra/Altima) or FWD-based AWD crossovers (Juke/Rogue).

Honest question, isn't that basically all manufacturers today?

Also the reason I want a RWD Nissan sporty coupe is for fun. My father did the same thing when he was my age. It must be genetic, much like the alcoholism.

I'll look into a 350z, thanks for the help user.

*also, I took a quick glance at 350zs. 3,600 pounds seems kinda hefty for a sports coupe.

>Honest question, isn't that basically all manufacturers today?
Even with everyone using CVT's, Nissan is still the worst at it.

The Z cars started going upmarket in the 1980s and stayed upmarket since. They aren't the entry level sports cars they once were.

For a fun, RWD car, I would suggest:
Scion FR-S
Subaru BRZ
Mazda MX-5 Miata
Fiat 124 Spyder (new one)
Chevrolet Camaro (Either the V6 or the 2.0L Turbo. The V6 has an optional 1 LE package that makes a night and day difference)

>Even with everyone using CVT's, Nissan is still the worst at it.
Ok. How does a CVT work anyway? It sounds like black magic. Non-rhetorical question I'm googling it now.
>They aren't the entry level sports cars they once were.
Oh. My dad had a 280zx with a turbo. He loved that car and jokes that it's the car that won my mom over.

>Scion FR-S
>Subaru BRZ
These two are basically twins, yes? I've heard good things about them. They seem like solid fun cars. I'm a little turned off by the funky engine design in the Subaru though.
>Mazda MX-5 Miata
I like how they look but I'm not really looking for a convertible. Convertibles seem like a pain in the ass to me, with torn tops or leaky roofs always being a problem. Correct me if I'm wrong.
>Fiat 124 Spyder (new one)
Isn't Fiat notoriously unreliable?
>Chevrolet Camaro (Either the V6 or the 2.0L Turbo. The V6 has an optional 1 LE package that makes a night and day difference)
So you'd say go for the 1 LE if I want maximum sport + muscle?

>How does a CVT work anyway?
there are 2 pulleys connected by either a chain or a belt and it changes gear ratios by changing the sizes of both pulleys. CVT's don't shift, they change gear ratios. Your engine will never hit the redline. It will hit a certain RPM and stay there while the speed increases, sounding like a lawnmower. CVT's are CHEAP and great for fuel economy, but its well known they have trouble handling over 100 HP. CVT's were invented in the 50's/60's by Swedish engineers so it's not like they haven't had time to work out the bugs.
>These two are basically twins, yes?
Yes, they are twins. Built in the same factory by the same workers. The suspension tuning and options are different between the 2. The Scion is tuned to be more tail happy so Toyota could advertise it as a factory-ready drift car. The Subaru is tuned more towards understeer. It doesn't like letting the tail loose. As far as options go, the Scion is very spartan with minimum there, while the Subaru is more comfy with available heated seats and other such luxuries.

>I like how they look but I'm not really looking for a convertible. Convertibles seem like a pain in the ass to me, with torn tops or leaky roofs always being a problem. Correct me if I'm wrong.
I agree. Not much of a convertible fan myself

>Isn't Fiat notoriously unreliable?
The new Fiat 124 Spyder, pic related, is built by Mazda alongside its sister car, the Mazda MX-5 Miata. The Fiat gets a slightly longer wheelbase, Italian-designed bodywork, a larger trunk, and the glorious Fiat 1.4L Turbo I4 which makes a glorious noise. Italian styling, Japanese build quality. Aside from being convertible only, I'm hard-pressed to find anything wrong with it.

>So you'd say go for the 1 LE if I want maximum sport + muscle?
Yes. The V6 screams like a harlet too.
youtube.com/watch?v=Qrs0oa-XIV4

>Yes. The V6 screams like a harlet too.
>youtube.com/watch?v=Qrs0oa-XIV4
Holy shit. That sounds like a 1960's Ferrari V12.

Cobalts are pretty neat, user

Or you could get an e36 m3 for 1/2 the cost, the same 0-60, and rwd

>tfw my preludes timing belt replacement interval was roughly 50k ago.

I have the kit and everything I just don't feel like doing it, haha fuck.

>never replace timing belts like they do with preludes.

>Ecotec
>Timing belt
pick one.

A $5000 E36 M3 will likely need at least another $2000-4000 of work at the very minimum. Or it'll be automatic. Or salvage/rebuilt with 180,000+ miles.

350Z is a better option for a under $10,000 RWD car that's not a Miata. The M3 drives better than anything ITT though. Closest comparison is a S2000 or RX8.

Previous owner, keep the rear tires new or you will lose your ass. Handles well. Great mpgs. Never had a problem that people typically complain about. Only replaced the alternator and battery. Lasted me 150,256mi before I missed that car's last stop sign

No a skyline is faster the GTR r35 will beat that car hands down. 1st NO TRACKTION. skyline has launch control whats wrong with you. RB26 twin turbo 400 plus horsepower? U dumb fuck

The Cobalt has launch control too.

The R35 isn't a Skyline and doesn't use an RB26 though.

>U dumb fuck
pot, kettle, black.

dooooo it. go fast, laugh at all jdm fags and pay nothing. I love my redline. its a great platform and still keeps up with new FWD performance shitboxs

>BMW "reliability"
Enjoy your thousands in parts

>The suspension tuning and options are different between the 2. The Scion is tuned to be more tail happy so Toyota could advertise it as a factory-ready drift car.
>Subaru is tuned more towards understeer. It doesn't like letting the tail loose. As far as options go, the Scion is very spartan with minimum there, while the Subaru is more comfy with available heated seats and other such luxuries.
The Scion sounds like the more "barebones fun" car between the two. Unfortunately it's still the same price even without those luxuries.
>The new Fiat 124 Spyder, pic related, is built by Mazda alongside its sister car, the Mazda MX-5 Miata. The Fiat gets a slightly longer wheelbase, Italian-designed bodywork, a larger trunk, and the glorious Fiat 1.4L Turbo I4 which makes a glorious noise. Italian styling, Japanese build quality.
Sounds like a great fun car with Mazda quality behind it. Like you said, the fact that the top always down is an inherent problem imo. Unless you live in a place that never has weather it's impractical.
>Yes. The V6 screams like a harlet too.
>youtube.com/watch?v=Qrs0oa-XIV4
That sounds fucking great. If it weren't for the Camaro's complete lack of visibility I'd say it's my immediate favorite. I walked up to a new Camaro the other day in the parking lot and wondered if the driver just uses his signal very early and makes a move hoping that nobody is nearby because he couldn't possibly see them.

Do it op, these cars are hilarious
>looks like an econobox
>300hp with a tune
>relatively light
>dirt cheap

only downside is fwd and torque steer kinda blows, but worth it for stoplight lulz

If you only have 5k and gotta go sanic then yea it's a great choice especially as an American because you could sleeper the shit out of it

I mean if we are talking dollar:performance NOTHING will beat a dsm. i bought an auto dsm with a bunch of mods for $1000, just needed a radiator. You have to understand 2 things though. 1 I'm not a dsm fanboy, i sold the car before i plated it
2. The fastest you can go per dollar is not actually the best idea. You will get a junker and the unreliability that comes along with it

the cobalt is a piece of shit that will turn itself off and kill you

anyone who belives its good is a retard or is stolen recaros wthout a tripcode

>literally baited

cobalt fanboys proving they are retards

also

>limited speed r34

literally a nigger

the gtr/cobalt laptime really bothered you that much huh

I never said the e36 wasnt the shittiest, most unreliable bmw ever made since the isetta. Which it is.

>my first race
>built cobalt ss pulls up next to me at a red light
>be in stage 2 2004 wrx, downpipe, nothing fancy
>he's revving engine
>what the hell
>light turns green
>pedal to the metal
>looks over, he's a car length behind, powershifting like a bitch
>going 105 in a 45
>tfw

>ur triggered because you know certain facts
>ur mad im a retard

hey man, whatever lets you deal with the fact that you like GM products

I'm sure it's a nice car. I had an 05 for a few years but a LT model. Everything electric didn't work when I bought it but that thing was fun as hell and handled well. If I wasn't as well off, this would be the only option.

So was the Cobalt basically GM's IRL engineering equivalent of a cheeky shitpost?

You can't even accurately talk about the products you like. If you don't know that the r35 doesn't have a rb26 under the hood you are really fucking retarded.