/agdg/ - Amateur Game Dev General

Lewd Jam in 3 Days.
Play DDX games, leave feedback for devs.

>Latest Demo Day (X)
itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-10

>Next Game Jam (Lewd -- Blueboard rules still apply)
itch.io/jam/lewd-jam-2016

>Lewd Jam Collabs
docs.google.com/document/d/1K9wlzcJntyOCV3KLvRcvllZ2ZUnGgrDtiwPdMLlw5XQ/edit?usp=sharing
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Sm0Pxz0uq-62L46TdXmKisynbhLI_by-pLNlcgo4B8M/edit?usp=sharing

>Next Demo Day (11)
itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-11

Helpful Links: tools.aggydaggy.com/# (Still in beta)
New Threads: Archive: boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/agdg/
AGDG Logo: pastebin.com/iafqz627

>Previous Demo Days
pastebin.com/X6fLvtzA

>Previous Jams
pastebin.com/qRHNpCbZ

>Chats
steamcommunity.com/groups/vgamedevcrew
webchat.freenode.net/?channels=vidyadev

>Engines
GameMaker: yoyogames.com/gamemaker
Godot: godotengine.org/
Haxe: haxeflixel.com/
LÖVE: love2d.org/
UE4: unrealengine.com/what-is-unreal-engine-4
Unity: unity3d.com/

> Models/art/textures/sprites
opengameart.org/
blender-models.com/
mayang.com/textures/

> Free audio
freesound.org/browse/
incompetech.com/music/
freemusicarchive.org/

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/channel/UCGzldxFvKz2nbMriH0DQ_LA/videos
youtube.com/watch?v=bmpLf3QPdB4
youtube.com/watch?v=6vzwMikIGGU/watch?v=6vzwMikIGGU
adriancourreges.com/blog/2016/09/09/doom-2016-graphics-study/
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=763122396
steamcommunity.com/id/AlexanderInUganda/myworkshopfiles/?section=greenlight
twitter.com/AnonBabble

first for items and spells

Handmade hero guy's rants on C vs C++ are the best ever. lmao

youtube.com/channel/UCGzldxFvKz2nbMriH0DQ_LA/videos

first

Reminder to stop getting triggered at the idea of programmers bettering themselves.

Reminder that the first posts are always reminder posts

How do I stop being a piece of shit and dev?

We have this argument every day, shouldn't they be bettered by now?

Where are the games

Depends

host block Veeky Forums

New game.
>Cyberpunk 2D Jump n' Run
>Tokyo in 70s Top-Down RPG
Which one?

Reminder that unity3d is the only engine that will allow you to actually make a game and everything else is thrash(except maybe GM for 2d games)

>vague concept based around A E S
it's trash.

Making my menu layout system more robust. Now I no longer need to specify a position for every button, but just specify an offset relative to another menu element.

This also scales better with larger resolutions, since I can guarantee even spacing.

Do you have any interesting idea for the gameplay of either? Doesn't have to be revolutionary, just a "this is something I will do that I think people will find interesting."

Last time, on AGDG.

youtube.com/watch?v=bmpLf3QPdB4

>triyng to draw heads when you don't know how skulls are shaped
ASDF

>good time, actually shit animation

work in shorter intervals.
10 min of dev, 5 min break on Veeky Forums, repeat

>just Unity make all AGDG progress

just like make game

CLion with VIM plugin is the best IDE

how do i create an instance at the exact point of collision in Game Maker?

>paying for dev tools

You can do it user! Even if it's one step at a time! Even if you know nothing at all! Just set reasonable expectations of yourself and have fun. You're probably not doing this professionally so it doesn't have to be professional quality. And if you're not having fun, take a break. That's how hobbies work. Don't torture yourself.

No art skills. No coding knowledge. No problem. I'll fix my magic number thing soon though, promise.

youtube.com/watch?v=6vzwMikIGGU/watch?v=6vzwMikIGGU

that.... depends. collision isn't a point, it's a state that returns either true or false with things like place_meeting(). what you can do is extrapolate the approx meeting point with stuff like

> with position_meeting(x,y,obj_thing)
{
other.collision_x = x - other.x;
other.collision_y = y - other.y;
}

You want contacts, which the normal GM collision detection doesn't report. I don't think there's any way to even use Box2D for just collision detection in GM.

So you're out of luck. You'll have to estimate.

fuck, sleepy. wrote utter shit.

> with position_meeting(x,y,obj_thing)
>{
>other.collision_x = other.x + (x - other.x)/2;
>other.collision_y = other.y + (y - other.y)/2;
>}

mathfags can probably shorten that.

That's just averaging the positions.

(other.x + x) / 2
(other.y + y) / 2

>5 min break on Veeky Forums

would work with raycasting.

Couldn't he just calculate the exact point where the collision occurred using the x and y distances between the centers and the objects' heights and widths? Unless I'm misunderstanding the problem.

Made a ice liquid nitrogen spray to freeze players

for magic should i use a book or a wand?

???

Not in general, no.

Progress

how do I find motivation to continue work on free / open source GTA 3+ clone made in Godot engine?

25 minutes of work, 5 minutes of break. Easy.

nvm

What sort of art style will you have?

shit kind of

wear women's clothing and claim you're being harrassed online

Progress. We overworld now.

I spent a lot of time experimenting with walking animations and this super simple one was the only one that didn't look totally shitty. What do you think?

still didnt decided, everything there is placeholders made with basic squares,spheres and cilinders.

probably something 3d low poly. or 2d sprites on a 3d envirement.

something like the first resident evil would be nice

You guys enjoying Honey Select?

more like 5 minutes work 2 hours rest

Undermeme advice to all nodevs who want to become yesdevs

smug guy smug walk

abandon that project while you can, holy shit

Rotatedev pls.

In the future can you refer to it by the proper name so my filter works please

you must have loops
loops within loops
it's loops all the way down

Which of the free A* implementations in Unity is best?

The one you implement yourself you hack.

How the fuck are any of those loops? This is just a convoluted way to explain gameplay depth.

i dont think they differ all that much.

*ignores*

I have no idea how to properly optimize C#, and speed is sort of important in pathfinding.

What about instead of averaging the positions, the meeting point is calculated by the relative speeds of both objects using their hsp,vsp and the x's and y's from the frame before the collision was detected? Do the classic "where do the trains pass each other" problem.

just use navmesh kiddo

So you'd rather make your whole game from someone else's code instead of learning yourself?

it's tumblr, what did you expect
but if you read the article, the author says "these aren't strictly loops but a bunch of other secondary goals"
but I guess you didn't read it
N O D E V

> Shoot to Jump (?)
> Capture Flag to Build Killstreak (???)
> get achievevements to advance the plot (?????????)

neat
adriancourreges.com/blog/2016/09/09/doom-2016-graphics-study/

Is it okay if I use interfaces just to have the compiler scream at me to fill a list of tick boxes for my classes? Like, make sure I don't forget to give them certain methods or parameters when do anything with them

>unity navmesh

pls no

That's precisely what interfaces are for. They're contracts.

I'm primarily a programmer my friend. I've done a shitload of webdev stuff before moving onto this.

That's the entire point of interfaces.

I heard they were shit, and I only need some fairly basic 2D pathfinding.

I'd like to look at that source code because I too use Godot

In a platformer how do you handle collisions with one way platforms when the player is inside 2 of them at once?
Originally I made it so that it will only collide with a one way platform if the player is moving downwards and they are not currently colliding with the one way platform.
But this makes it so that if the player is inside 1 platform, they can't collide with any others.

Oh cool

don't check platform collision with rectangles, check it with lines

The idea behind "interface polymorphism" is that, because interfaces impose the existence of certain members in classes that implement them, you can ask for an instance of the interface and an instance of any implementor can be given.

Turn on and off the collision mask of a specific instsnce of one way platform based on whether the player is above that particular instance. Do so on a case by case basis.

Oh, I've just been using the place_meeting() function in gamemaker, thats all I've used so far so I didn't even think to use another type of collision check. I'll see if I can figure out how to do it with lines then, thanks.

You just have to make sure that you either use continuous collision detection, or enable one-way colliders before moving the player and then resolving collisions.

Alright, which one of you shitheads did this?

steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=763122396

I don't know gamemaker, but make the platform a rectangle and check collision with the bottom line of the player

gross

>"BTFO Hillary to win"
dumb normies using memes wrong

My money is on you, since you brought it to our attention. You want to get some schadenfreude from seeing people get angry about it.

it still looks shitty

Nobody from agdg would be this stupid... right?

agdg bringing the crits

>tfw this is how average Americans think
memes were a mistake

I knew that name was familiar

steamcommunity.com/id/AlexanderInUganda/myworkshopfiles/?section=greenlight

Valve should revoke greenlight licenses when people upload this

If Steam starts deciding what is too garbage for Greenlight, how is AGDG supposed to get its start in the industry?

I hope your game is better than that joke

>1v1 online web multiplayer
>the player who hits the other with its sword wins(this or a health system)
>swords have collisions so you can block with them

Y/N?

>sword is controlled by the mouse

nidhogg?

nah, that would need much more work to be equivalent or superior to nidhogg. Muuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuch more work.

tell me about your lewd game ideas

trains with breast physics

A game where you play a mouse and you're running around an apartment complex looking for cheese, but you just keep finding people having sex.

I feel like lewdness is an added factor, kinda like a design choice, to a game. I remember the loli abduction simulator guy from a while ago, and while his game was technically interesting, making a sexual topic be the core of your game rarely brings anything interesting or worthwhile to the table.

I personally would like to see a slightly more sexualized version of Heavy Metal FAKK made. But that is subjective since I grew up masturbating to Jane Fonda in Barbarella.

artist here, looking for a programmer who will ask me why I care about what language/engine he uses

Need to figure out how to connect the shoulders.

I'm gonna stop with art for today and focus on catlikecoding tutorials.

I wonder how long it will take to get good at low poly stuff. Either way I got a long time to learn.