My thread died last night

My thread died last night.

I've boiled my choices down for a car Veeky Forums, and I need some opinions.

I can get a 2016 focus st for 24k or I can get a 2013 WRX Hatchback that's CPO for 24k.

Which one should I get? I drove a 2010 wrx and I loved the turbo spool noise, but the 16 focus st just had some cabin exhaust note that honestly was more annoying than anything. But, I'm just looking for whichever car will have higher resale in about 3 years or so and obviously which one performs better. I love how quick the wrx felt. ST felt super slow in comparison.

(yes, I know that's an STI in the pic)

Which brings me to my third option. I can get a tuned 14 WRX STI with 14k miles on it for 31k. Sure, the monthly payments will be higher, but I figure the resale at 60k 4 years from now I could probably get 25k for it.

If you get the WRX, you're a fucking faggot.

But the boost sounds great and it's definitely wayyyy faster than the st, but the st has the interior beat by a long shot. The WRX is awd too.

Bump

Subaru will hold better resale by a long shot.

Ford will be more reliable long-term.

Look for a stock Evo X/WRX STI instead,

Both are extremely pricey even at higher miles. I'm seeing STI's 10 years old with 60k miles listed at 20k.

The subaru hatchback is certified pre-owned and under warranty until 2020 or 100k miles according to subaru. Or obviously I get a new car warranty. I plan on selling it, and I honestly have no time to repair anything.

>I have no time to repair anything

That's a good warranty on the WRX though. But I have a feeling you'll use it more often on the Subaru than the Ford. Subaru of America is notoriously jewish on warranties for the WRXs and STis, and the factory tunes/bottom ends on WRXs is garbage (crap oil pan pickups, too close factory tolerances on piston/wall so ringlands crap out, crappy tunes that cause detonation and leads to eventual broken ringlands/spun bearings)

But Subaru faggots will pay out the fucking nose for one anyways.

Did you try a Fiesta ST already? I'd just personally get a Fiesta ST or a Evo X. The Evo is a pretty good car.

Luckily the CPO warranty is a powertrain warranty. I don't mind spending an afternoon doing suspension work, which I hope not since my 116k 97 miata still has OE everything except inner tie rods and sway bar links.

I'm hoping that the resale would be even higher due to it being a hatchback since they discontinued em, and having that warranty that I think is transferable? I honestly don't drive that much so It'll probably be less than 60k miles in 4 years starting at 29k miles.

The fiesta st is just too small and slow, which my miata is already great at both of those things!

The evo I'm iffy on. Drove it, didn't like it that much and from experience mitsubishis break a lot more than subies.

Why not spend the extra 2k and get a 2017 WRX?

Don't like the look, it's slower due to the 6 speed, and I have a feeling the hatchback 13 will keep its value pretty well. If it was between a 17 wrx and a 16 focus st, I'd definitely get the focus st for sure.

>6mt
>slower
I mean, it's as fast to 60 as the current MY STIs right now due to the gearing.

The insurance for the WRX will eat you alive m8.

>from experience mitsubishis break a lot more than subies.

The inverse applies when you talk about their turbo cars.

The Evo is rock solid, worst I've seen is AYC/ACD pump failures which are rare and happen more often in northern salt states, and the plastic clutch master cylinder sometimes failing (easy fix). The transmissions aren't as strong as Subarus but its the same common unit as the 8-9s just in a 200-300lb heavier car (so it'll break if you push 400-500whp and abuse it). ZERO Issues from the 4B11T (sure, its slightly weaker than the 4G63 it replaced if you're building it to 600-700whp+ but its fucking 2JZ Toyota reliable strong compared to the Subaru EJs)

The Subarus are atrocious in comparison, you'll use that powertrain warranty. The EJ25 is a turd. I definitely wouldn't recommend them if you were buying one used outside of warranty. The rest of the car is solid.

Both cars are going to make you look like a faggot anyway.

$150/month, not terrible, that's bundled with my miata.

Well, I mean if you had to choose between a warrantied subaru and a not warranty EVO, or the focus ST, which one would you choose? I see no downsides to the powertrain warranty because I know the engine might be shit, but I can't imagine the suspension is that bad.

It's okay user, I already am one. I just need a fun 4 door car and I absolutely did not like the BMW. Also I am a faggot.

Oh. In that case, what do you want out of the car? The ST is supposed to be really fun, and you can get the ass to kick out but the WRX will have the advantage if you live in a northern state.

I live in PA, but I normally drive my miata on snowy days because of snow tires.

Basically I just need a second car that's fun, faster than my miata or most soccer mom cars on the road because soccer moms are one of the biggest PA road hazards, and just more practicality too. Figure those two have a little bit of everything without being boring.

Something that I won't have to put a ton of money into and I'll sell in a few years to probably get a focus rs.

I would be semi daily driving it with my miata too and using it for longer road trips. I've already driven my miata 6 hours straight, so I'm not extremely worried about the comfort factor.

>>Resale Value

>>Ford

Ok, well it sounds like the decision has already been made for you. Ford's have dog-shit resale, whereas anything Subaru are among the highest in the industry due to a diehard following and low production volume.

This holds ESPECIALLY true for the WRX. The WRX isn't even that super special, but because it's a 4 door with a turbo boxer engine it commands ridiculous prices on the used market. A 3 year old WRX for $24k? You gotta be fucking kidding - a brand new one MSRP's for $26k.

are you stupid? Just get a brand new base wrx for like 26k

this at least Subarus hold their value VERY well

I don't know much about the Focus, but the WRX has decent resale value(especially the hatchbacks) and a decently sized aftermarket if you want to mod at all.

MY15 and on WRXs have a weird ass factory tune that gives you 100% throttle at 30% actual throttle position, and it holds the revs between shifts for increased emission. These are easily remedied with an off the shelf tune, but that could also cause denial of warranty claims.

the ST brothers are doing decently for resale at the moment -- 2-3 year old models are routinely listed for 3k less than a new model. Not saying that would hold up though.

I bought a fiesta ST recently and love it although I would have looked into WRX more if they still made the hatch version

Why would I when the powertrain warranty is better on the certified and I get the hatchback as well as the faster year?

implying brand new subarus don't come with factory warranties, i guarantee you that shitty hatch has over 30k miles.You are basically paying new price for something uglier and used

ECOBOOST

fgt

The new one is super ugly. Factory is only 3 year/36k bumper to bumper and the power train is only 5 year/60k. If I buy now I lose a year but gain another 10k miles. Couldn't care less about the bumper to bumper warranty. No 2013 with 30k miles should be replacing anything but brakes and tires.

You've mentioned that the '13 is faster than the newest model a couple times. Could you explain or link something please? Seems weird that a car company would do that.

more like ecoBEAST amirite xd

There are a few links, but generally I see anywhere from 4.7 seconds for the older models and 5.3 seconds for the new one. Or I see 5.2 seconds for the older models and 5.5 seconds for the newer ones.

Honestly, I don't know. The 0 to 60 times are all over the place, but from what I read the 6 speed ratios just make the climb to 60 more difficult due to the ratios.

True. My buddy has a 2016 that that hits fuel cut in 2nd at 62 MPH, but I've never been in an earlier model to compare. 0.3-0.6 seconds to 60 really wouldn't be a deal breaker for me though.

It is unfortunate that they my the 2015 look like a Corolla though.

Neither. You can get a supercharged jag for that price.

>Jaguar
>used Jaguar

>used high performance jaguar

what's wrong with that? if you have some disposable income you can afford any repairs.

>CPO Evo X
>Warrantied NEW WRX
>Used Evo X
>CPO WRX

Focus ST shouldn't be considered if you care about resale, unless you get a base model they kinda suck. $26-29k MSRP 3 y/o used models can be had for $20-23k.

And yeah user, I'd look at a new WRX. Run the numbers, chances are you'll get lower interest rates financing a new car vs a used car. I'd still look for a used Evo X. They're great cars, only a new WRX STI or Focus RS/Golf R can compare.

fiesta st

if not, focus st

I was in the same boat.
28k for a 2015 WRX, cant remember how many
miles but not many.
20K for a 2014 ST with only 8k Miles on it.

I personally do not like how the subaru's gearbox felt but what it really came down to was the ST was just the better deal.

So far no ragrets.

If you are planning on the car with a higher resale value in 3 years, the WRX would hold it's value better but why the fuck would you want to go for such a new car if you're just going to can it in 3 years

>No 2013 with 30k miles should be replacing anything but brakes and tires.
Not unless said car is a turbocharged poobaru

You'll piss away that resale value on lol Subaru insurance.