ITT: Excellent ideas that fell short of their target

ITT: Excellent ideas that fell short of their target.

Example 1: A Truly lamentable case tbhm8s. The 3KGT Mitsubishi's entry into the surging mid-level sports coupe trend sweeping Japan, and was a particularly obvious counter to Honda's breakout NSX. However, upon release it became clear that this was to be little more than a gadget-stocked experiment on wheels that couldn't really match the visionary ambitions of Mitsubishi engineers. Overweight and arguably under-powered, the 3000GT was eventually shelved thanks in to rising costs and an unfriendly economic environment that was to be the scourge of late 90s Japanese industry.

Other urls found in this thread:

edmunds.com/mitsubishi/3000gt/1991/features-specs.html?sub=&style=1974
youtu.be/4ktKEaee51Q
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

What the fuck? It was a great car though you moron

>particularly obvious counter to Honda's breakout NSX
No it wasn't. The NSX was the "revolutionary" lightweight mid-engine Accord. The GTO was supposed to be a pigfat grand tourer with lots of 90s Jap tech (read; gremlins) and creature comforts for long trips.

The single biggest problem the GTO had wasn't its cost or weight or reliability. It's that it didn't really have a clear purpose with the Eclipse and Lancer Evolution already existing. What does it actually do better than either of its siblings?

he did say "fell short" and not "total failure", meaning that it was a decent attempt but not exactly the thing it was trying to be

thank you
Looking faster and more agile than it is is the one thing it does right.

>) and creature comforts for long trips.

stop this meme . this isn't america

They where mostly a test-bed in a lot of ways back when companies had flagships so to speak to say 'I have arrived' and where mostly aspiration or supported some motorsports.
GTO's did get used in some races and did relatively well in some of them, but the competition was extremely fierce all through the 90s. To some extent the RX7, GTR, 300ZX, NSX etc where all more or less that whole 90s JP economy boom and the amount of money sunk into them wasn't really ever recouped through sales- but they where the top of the production tree that showed what the company could do.

Holy shit this.Goddamn Mitsubishi was up to something great when the thought up the GTO because all those crazy performance technologies were all supposed to make it the unbeatable 2dr coupe but the execution of the whole project was just bad. If it weren't so fucking pigfat and had at least a 380HP motor, it would have BTFO all its rivals (FD, Supra, GTR Skyline, NSX, SVX) easily even without all of that Jap electro magic it had, which frustratingly enough, became standard equipment on high end exotics almost a decade later

Couldn't the 6G72 take stupid amounts of boost on stock internals too?

I suppose. The 2G Eclipse GSX is a quick-looking car, though. Especially when it's green with ricer decals.

The Lancer Evolution has been Mitsubishi's flagship since it was introduced. The GTO is just an also-ran.

>Mitsubishi would have won if they had ignored the Gentlemen's Agreement and started a horsepower war
Debatable. Nissan and Toyota would have had two legs up on Mitsubishi. Hell, I'd even bet on Mazda over Mitsubishi in a mid 90s horsepower arms race.

They're a tough engine, iron block, alloy heads with very good flow rates through them.
Even just with a wee bit of fiddling mines around 245kw and 475Nm of torque at all 4 wheels, been running like that for the better part of the last 7 or years since I diddled it without complaint. I would like larger turbos to flow out into the upper rpm, but that sort of a next step I'm just not really ready to commit to.

>heavier than a skyline
what the fuck were they thinking?

>back when companies had flagships so to speak to say 'I have arrived' and where mostly aspiration or supported some motorsports

The term is "halo car."

Except it managed to outperform c4 corvettes and keep up with supras, skylines and the rx7. It was faster than those three in a straight line as well.
Mitaubishi hit their target but it didn't age well.

It was quick, but not ludicrously fast.

explain

It was exactly the thing it was trying to be. That image isn't even right, the regular GTOs weighed about 3700-3800 and later made over 300HP. The GTO MR weighs like 3100. It was never overweight or underpowered, OP just wasn't alive in the 1990s.

>it was quick but not ludicrously fast
>the only cars beating it are far more powerful and it matches the 380HP 355.

I always thought that the 3000GT/Stealth problem was the same problem that all the Japanese auto manufacturers had in the us in the 90'. The price of the only flagship cars worth having (the turbo models) reached Corvette prices (non ZR1). In the US at the time that was not going to fly. The affordable 3000gts, 300zx, and Supras (the NA ones) were barely quicker than a W-body GM.

First gen vr4s don't even weigh 3700. You can dump tons of weight ditching the aws and active aero bullshit along woth other useless gadgets on it too.

They are still to this day capable of going 11s and 12s with minimal bolt on shit and tuning. Main issue is that even the newest ones are 17 fucking years old and most are in need of restoration at this point. Add to that the lack of factory replacements for things like the VCU and it makes you not want to beat the shit out of it.

trying to make something that would be a direct competition to the miata was a great idea

thinking that it was simply a matter of making a small car with removeable top was defenitely not

THIS. The Del Sol is the better example of a excellent idea that fell short

Was it a miata competitor though? I always thought it was just an extension of the civic brand

>First gen vr4s don't even weigh 3700

edmunds.com/mitsubishi/3000gt/1991/features-specs.html?sub=&style=1974

>>Curb Weight: 3791 lbs.

>using edmunds as a knowledge base for the 3S platform
bet you think dell makes the best computers, too.

I'm convinced everyone 8nvolved with the 3S is named Josh.
> guy who sold me my stealth
Josh
> guy who towed it back to my house after and accident
Josh
> guy who I got my hood and bumper from
Josh
> guy who replaced the transmission
Josh
> me
Dan

I have the base model, it was a car ahead of its time in design but its performance was too easily matched by its competitors, i think that's one of the reasons it fell through, it left a lot to be desired and didnt bring enough to the table to set itself apart. I really like that the vr4's were AWD, the base model 220 hp is nothing to awe about, but im stuck in a fit of 90's sports car nostalgia that pulls me back to this car every time i try to justify what its missing.

Its still a fun car to drive either way, i have a blast in this thing and i still see it catch peoples eyes almost 22 years after it was made, that's what i mean by ahead of its time design.

Dell workstations are servers are pretty nice.

Fiero. Originally it was supposed to be a MR Corvette killer. Then GM realized how good it would be and kept declining the idea.

They eventually greenlight the Fiero when it was presented as a small economy commuter that just happened to be MR with the solid turd Iron Duke i4.

what was wrong with it please explain

its slow as all hell

...............was this every produced?

*ever

>Main issue is that even the newest ones are 17 fucking years old and most are in need of restoration at this point.
I live in California and there's way more VR4s in decent condition than there are FDs. They're much cheaper, too.

Yes Okay user.

>Mitsubishi GTO
>slow

>Looking faster and more agile than it is is the one thing it does right.

Uhm... No.

>Mazda over Mitsubishi in a mid 90s horsepower arms race.

>It was quick, but not ludicrously fast.
Jusr like the R33 user

Even the affordable models were selling at 50K in today's currency, not exactly cheap either. (FWD 3000GT)

Not really

>Last owner
Michael
>Me
Paul

Wait... Wut?

Is that an MR in the image?

>N/A 3s

Mein nigga

For me it's actually the perfect DD

>222hp
>Race pipe and mandrel bent cat back exhaust with a flowmaster super 44 and beefier quad exhaust tips
>Eibach springs
>poly bushings all around
>poly mounts
>LSD
>front and rear addco sway bars
>lightweight cam gears
>lightweight pulleys
>over-sound deadened interior
>2nd gen VR4 brakes
>1st gen VR4 rear calipers

The engine response is amazingly good and the suspension modifications made it fucking fun to drive. This car is a fucking attention whore though, boyracer magnet.

The calipers are unnecessarily big but really wanted more stopping power because why not.

Pic related

Its a TT race converted. It has got the Z16 Chassis instead of the MRs Z15

The car itself was fine. The looks were polarizing even back in the day. But its main flaw was that it was an orphan in the FoMoCo family and wasn't managed well as a brand.

???

Optispark used with GM's LT1 motors. A great step in the right direction from distributors, but its location under the water pump would prove to be a fatal flaw.

Veloster Turbo.

>Mazda over Mitsubishi in a mid 90s horsepower arms race
Need I remind you that Mazda had an engine just lying around that offered potentially 50% more performance than their 6-cylinder equivalent 13B? GTOs are unreliable even before you crank the boost up to 2 bar.

And the correlation between that and a GTO is exactly??

He just read the OP and skipped the GTO-hate.

OP literally asked for
>Excellent ideas that fell short of their target.

>Mazda dorito
>more reliable

The 6G72 is a tank. It can handle 700awhp stock internals. Just because they didn't put massive tarbos on them means that they are unreliable under boost. They can get normally 15psi max under the normal conditions, although you could set it higher but you just would be blowing hot air and not getting any power gains.

If you just upgrade your exhaust system, you could go a bit more.

The FD Can't handle more than 10-11psi without a new fuel pump, ECU tuning and exhaust mods.

And the VR4/MR has got 100 more torques than the FD type R. After 1999 they got to the same torque level than the VR4.

Still the rotary engine is impressive. But even more unreliable than a TT GTO.

In my opinion, the normal 3000GT VR4 is a god tier Grand Tourer. The performance version of the 3000GT, the MR is what 'muricans would have wanted to have.

The VR4 Spyder is just amazingly joyous to drive, it gives you the power you expect from the TT but it makes you flavor the moment more.

I also have a meme karr. The Miata devours corners whereas the Spyder flavors them, the torque is great... I'm totally biased... But definitely the GTO is not a car that fell off its target, I suggest to OP to do research about the car.

>tfw no vr4

How many of these made it to 100k without issues?
>Protip: none.

It's such a cool car, too bad it's a piece of junk

>how many GTRs make 100K without an issue. How many 300ZX, RX7...

Your logic has got to be the shittiest one on the planet.

>BECAUSE IT REQUIRES MAINTENANCE ITS BAD KARRR DURR

Impresive automotive knowledge and logic.

Hmm I wonder why do you think it's a "piece of junk " am I detecting some butthurt?

Fuck you user. You have a VR4 Spyder. Fuck you. I want one.

At least the GTO has an aftermarket.

This was the underdog of the 90s.

>autotragic only

I was going to say exactly the same thing.

The GTO actually fulfilled it's purpose and even surpassed it.

The SVX is just a beautiful thing, but really forgotten. But I thought they had a manual version outside of the US.

The rear of the car reminds me of the alfa romeos of the time.

>1994 evo starting msrp: $30,000
>2016 money:48k
>1993 3kgt msrp: $24,000-$37,000
>2016:39k-60k

>The 6G72 is a tank.
Yes.
>It can handle 700awhp stock internals.
No. Pistons can handle up to 500hp, connecting rods 600hp.

>Has money for a VR4 Spyder
>Has 400 pixel pictures
Get new pictures, you poof.

Power for a straight line, too heavy for corners

>too heavy for corners

youtu.be/4ktKEaee51Q

Okay user.

The most tragic part of the 3000GT being a failure is that it was probably the single most 90s looking car ever made.

That's what normies actually believe.

>dat GTO

wew la. Though to make it interesting they should have used an SS Impala

But user that was an SS impala. The landbarge race part is just epic.

>How many of these made it to 100k without issues?
Literally all of them that aren't garage queens.

>that GTO dorifto