/rpgmg/ - RPG Maker General #167

Previous thread Trial Download: rpgmakerweb.com/download/free-trials/trial-rpg-maker-mv
Trial Mirror: mega.nz/#!HNRDmQKS!6YhUUEA3YpRYEaruDgfUmFD2kZcOB7pv3rSssUOM2bs

/rpgmg/ Wikia
rpgmg-games.wikia.com/wiki//rpgmg/_Games_Wikia
Getting started
docs.google.com/document/d/14ignTofv_bDRVHPUk9_sEpLUjuFyxpuy2Cr9mXDwkb0/
Art Resources
pastebin.com/FgVGxTqW
Even More Updated DLC Pastebin
pastebin.com/91QntR9H

Pixel Art Tutorials
pastebin.com/SuXCN3pf
Generators and other useful resources
pastebin.com/aeg28Ktm
[MV] Plugin Releases
mvplugins.com/
[VX/Ace] Master Script List
rmvxace.wikia.com/wiki/RPG_Maker_VX_Ace_Master_Script_List
Collection of old RPGM games
drive.google.com/folderview?id=0Bz0L3Pxrc8tqfnB1dFhTZHZwSV91cW1KMW9wcUM2WHhwSFFFMUVJX0pEYVExMndNLWtXbGs&usp=sharing

The /rpgmg/ podcast (Updated every other Wednesday):
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLyrIVUR5VXKC9XxmtqJh0u0Wcdvu8VQ6A

/rpgmg/ Chain/Collaboration Game!
Currently working:
Bubbles !u696zUYxpM
Version 13B: mediafire.com/download/89tsrb5ka31g36h/rpgmgcollab_v13B.zip

Other urls found in this thread:

itchy-animation.co.uk/tutorials/light02.htm
pastebin.com/QtQnqvf5
mega.nz/#!Yo5AlLxZ!yzS3PMn144EGsj9LMnXeaaJ_ZxyTGgbIvFf3Y4Z0YRw
mega.nz/#!ZxhjiaBD!lGIZEztZ8fhyyl9NuEoQ_TDw0BGa0LB6wEaSxmY01lo
mega.co.nz/#F!eJQEWLiC!Y66_MZgvuwB2ZUn2m6GzSQ
soundcloud.com/jowey-342490524/a-mischievous-kindness/s-FEGLO
pastebin.com/hk8Dgthm
rpgmakercentral.com/topic/3894-basic-window-resizer/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Showing off more of my monsters. Probably going to do two more then work on making them actually work in the game.

Something that helped me a lot with shading and such:
itchy-animation.co.uk/tutorials/light02.htm

Until we have confirmation that the d/l links are dead, they should be included.

[MV] Base Resources, Cover Art DLC, Essentials DLC and Pre-order Plugins:
pastebin.com/QtQnqvf5
[MV] Season Pass DLC
mega.nz/#!Yo5AlLxZ!yzS3PMn144EGsj9LMnXeaaJ_ZxyTGgbIvFf3Y4Z0YRw
mega.nz/#!ZxhjiaBD!lGIZEztZ8fhyyl9NuEoQ_TDw0BGa0LB6wEaSxmY01lo
[VX/Ace] Humble Bundle DLC:
mega.co.nz/#F!eJQEWLiC!Y66_MZgvuwB2ZUn2m6GzSQ

Thanks, I'll take a look at it!

They're not necessarily gone, but I forgot to mention I moved them into the Even More Updated DLC Pastebin.

What are you working on Anons?

What makes your game special?
Why should I play it?

Bamp.

Someone else's work, and that makes me want to get your guys' opinion on something:

How do you feel about someone fixing your work (sprite, script, song)? Some sides I can see..

>Uh, okay.. Fuck you. What am I even supposed to be learning here? That you're better than me?
>..Wow, thanks for showing how inept I am. I just.. don't feel like drawing anymore..
>I can't believe someone spent time to actually work on some random person's work. Don't you have your own shit to do?
>Wow, thanks for spending the time to help. It's a lot easier to understand concepts when it's applied to something I'm closely familiar with.

I've personally never had the (mis?)fortune of having someone tarnish my work.

Right now, your monster doesn't have "form" to its muscles. There's also light shading, but not in places or in a manner that makes it seem to exist somewhere.

>You have to define your muscles through your shading
The back, traps, shoulders and arms have practically no definition. You cut into them with shading in ways to imply their shape.

>You have to consider how's the light going to be obscured.
The right arm is floating over a few parts of the body, so the shading should make note of that.
Right hand doesn't have to do that much to the right thigh, but it looks kewl, so do it anyway.

Head affects left arm, torso affects itself, waist affects tail, etc.

There's some trickiness to your "underbelly" vs "regular skin", because you use the same color for everything, just different shades.
You need to do some cute stuff to it.

>Left leg's poor shading lead to ambiguity.
It can be interpreted as being forward facing, or as being spread to the side. I think you wanted it to be forward facing, judging by the outline.
For fun, I just chose to interpret it as being spread out as though he were trying to fuck a girl.

And with all of this shown, you basically need to not be afraid of using a lot of the darker shades that you select.

>drawing and typing this shit out instead of working on my own project

Lizards don't have visible dicks, user

>Let me show you how it's done.
>See, you just add a giant penis to it.
kek. Reminds me of Diablo 2 concept art. They actually included the dong in-game too. It's spiky and horrifying.

Wow, thanks for the lizard dick.

Seriously though, thanks for the attempt, but your version on the right doesn't look very good, with exception the left leg which is much, much clearer in position and the right arm, which does have a lot better muscle definition.

I'm happy when someone gives me constructive criticism.
After all there is always someone better than you and if they take some off their time to help you then they are pretty good people in my book.

the new one is about eight million times better than the original m8

The spots on his leg and neck look wrong instead of showing light & shadow and the chest area just looks like it's trying to be overly detailed where the original was more cartoony and with the limited palette, looks better.

I'm.. actually a little taken aback by that response. lol

I know I'm being rude/arrogant when I'm going to admit that I'm interpreting it as something like
>Yeah, okay. Some things are improved, but my version is better overall.

It's making me wonder what's your exact opinion on things.

Finally done with these, lol. Motivation has been hard to find lately.

Grabbed a random color off my palette for the background, needed something to contrast the tears.

It's just that people on here who can't sprite for shit are way too precious about their work.

You need to let go to get better.

Sorry, I didn't mean to sound like that. I do like the improvements you made on the arm and leg, but the chest looks terrible and the neck looks weird, but that's probably due to my weird lines marking his back.

I'll definitely take what you said into consideration and I've saved a copy of the image so I can look over it and study how you made those two limbs look so much better.

There is no rhyme or reason to any of the original shading at all.

I just want to hug her and tell her that everything is okay.

I almost feel bad. She's ultimately a victim of circumstance so she really doesn't deserve what she's getting.

Oh well.

Is it possible to get a happy ending for her?

You're definitely free to decide on what advice you think is worthwhile or applicable to your style. I know I don't apply every technique I've learned to my chinese cartoon portraits.

But before I head off to bed, about the neck..

The way you shade the neck/traps/back right now makes the neck appear like so.

You have to think about the fact that it's a hunched over large monster.

I actually was way too conservative with where I decided to place the neck in my edit. It still should've been raised way higher vertically, as can be seen. That would result in the most "natural" neck connection.

Try to think of how other large creatures would have their necks attached while leaning over. I personally thought of DBZ and Tigrex/Nargacuga when thinking of how I'd shade the neck/trap/back.

they need a little work on shading but we're off to a pretty great start
slimeboi has some slppy issues with his outline, cmon you can do better
i'm a little lost as to what's going on with boarman (bullman?)'s right arm; is he an amputee?

honestly these are pretty knockout and i'd like to see more; even at their current level a game full of assets like this would be a charmer

How do I fix this? I dont recall ever touching that section.

What is the last thing that you changed?

A custom script but the error is apparantly in there. Searching through empty in the custom script doesnt really show anything to be messed up.

I have no clue what Im doing...

Rest assured, I have been working on The Long Road.

Here is a new song!

It takes place in a spooky forest, during a fight with a very large, very pissed off flock of crows.

Also, updating battle UI.

soundcloud.com/jowey-342490524/a-mischievous-kindness/s-FEGLO

How are you dong on your game?

Pretty sure there is a mistake in your script somewhere.
Could you post it?

Oh shit, Leo. It's been awhile. Glad to see you're still alive.

Its too long what do I do?

Pigman (he's a boar-orc thing, but all the placeholder names are ___man) has his fist raised near his mouth, like he's gonna pop you in the face. Maybe I should draw and define a thumb up on top?

I don't know what is sloppy on the slimeman's outline, except that it's supposed to be lumpy and sloppy? I think the issue might be that the bottom chin should use the black outline instead of the solid color, and that's what looks sloppy to you?

Skellyman here I'm not happy with, but a friend suggested I draw a skeleton next and this is what I came up with. His head is totally misshappen and needs to be redone, and that crown I spent like zero time on.

Pastebin it.

This sounds really nice, I like it.

Your drawings there definitely pinpoint how terrible my back was there. You're right, that the next probably should start high and bend down towards the head in this case, instead of coming up out of that hunch.

pastebin.com/hk8Dgthm

To be honest I have no idea about scripting at all.
Do you need to capitalize the E in Empty in lines 129-138?

I dont think so. I removed the capitalization to try it out, still crashed.

So, what can I do to guide someone on interacting with some object that isn't exactly in the way of the player in their starting area?

I want players to search the endtable, find some item and give it to this green plushie bear which will then fight them, but everything is totally ignorable.

Aw, I'm sorry then.
I can't see any difference between the Guard and the Father then.
I'm sure someone else can help you, though.

Anyone knows a way to make 1-turn-charge-moves like pokemon does?
Solar Beam, Fly, Dig, Dive, all that?

I tried using Shaz's State Add/Remove Commands and go like:

Skill #1 targets the user, giving them a State
This State then has the Cannot Move restriction, lasts 1 turn and gives them access to Skill #2
With Shaz's plugin I wrote
onremove: this.$gameTemp.reserveCommonEvent(0012)

while 0012 is a common event to force the use of Skill #2 when the State ends

However it's not working and an error is showing up.
Am I doing anything wrong?

Put a shiny on it.

An NPC hinting towards it or a readycheck before the encounter to imply something can be altered before you fight it. Lots of ways to do it if you just think creatively!

Then it becomes the main objective

Well personally I always assume shiny's in games are just something I can pick up.

Made the changes I talked about Gave boarman a thumb, changed the lines on slimeman, fixed skellyman's whole head and in addition worked on lizardman's shading so his back/neck situation doesn't look so dire and fixed up his leg & arm close to how the helpfulanon did it.

Guess the bear is going to shine a bit now.

Good night bump

I feel like the difference between the Skellyman then and the Skellyman now is rife for a "At first I was like -, but then I was like -" meme.

How do you make each boss fight unique and memorable from a gameplay perspective?

Hey I was wondering if I could get you guys' thoughts on this

Here's the old

And here's the new sprite to replace it.
What do you think?

Much better

bump for your game

bump

The expression makes it look like he is making a joke.

The new one is much better.

k, boss

The lower lip being red like that is kind of off-putting.

The elf can now... uhh.. try not drop her lemons?
T-that's what she's totally doing here

eroi

ded

Not dead, just resting

Should encounter cooldown consider time or number of steps?

Not dead, just working

steps

Bump from page 8.

Bump before lunch.

Lunch was over so fast.

Tell me about it.

Not dead, just dying

I guess the closest description would be chop suey.

Is there a way to change the resolution of the game? Or do I have to import my tiles/sprites at larger sizes to get them to look right?

You can do it with Scripts/Plug-Ins but it is a lot more trouble than it is worth, IMO.

Okay. I'll just resize them before importing, then. That's kind of a pain.

It can be changed quite easily in MV with a script.

How about VX Ace?

rpgmakercentral.com/topic/3894-basic-window-resizer/
Use this.

Open new script
paste: Graphics.resize_screen(X,Y)
Put in whatever you want instead of X,Y.
You're done.

Thanks.

This doesn't actually help since it doesn't do anything about tile size, so you're still using the giant sized tiles + grid/step size.

I see.
I've been wanting to change my resolution as well to something lower to make things look bigger, but that just messes up all my pictures, and especially lighting.

Err, no that's not right. Lighting's the one actually working well after resolution change. Menus and such don't.

Recarm

Mudo

I want to play your game!

sure! i actually almost have a demo ready never.

The seamstress did too many eye plushies to sell and now they're all filling the place, poor lady.

What are you doing to do about it?

I'm accepting suggestions! Probably a silly side quest involving getting her THE NEEDLE OF JUSTICE and things like that.

Alright, you wizards and witches, I need some MV script call help.

I can script call choices (pic related) with no problem, but I can't, for the life of me, find an output that knows which option you chose. I know I'm going to need a Conditional Branch to have an effect based on what choice, but what am I checking for?

Ace had this "@branch[@indent]" thing, but MV uses completely different terms.

You need to find people who want to buy these dolls even if they don't want them.

Does it need to be a script?
You could just use the normal event commands for that.

Yes. Unlimited choice options combined with being able to use $variables for the text (rather than \v[ariables]) are both godsends.

Here it is displaying properly. Now how do I make "When..." branches?

Here's just a small taste of the difference.

Is it the same seamstress as this?

Unfortunately, no! But cool design, what game is this? (We actually have scissors and needles as weapons, so maybe a possible boss?)

It's from the movie called 9