/agdg/ - Amateur Game Dev General

Lewd Jam in 2 Days.
Play DDX games, leave feedback for devs.

>Latest Demo Day (X)
itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-10

>Next Game Jam (Lewd -- Blueboard rules still apply)
itch.io/jam/lewd-jam-2016

>Lewd Jam Collabs
docs.google.com/document/d/1K9wlzcJntyOCV3KLvRcvllZ2ZUnGgrDtiwPdMLlw5XQ/edit?usp=sharing
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Sm0Pxz0uq-62L46TdXmKisynbhLI_by-pLNlcgo4B8M/edit?usp=sharing

>Next Demo Day (11)
itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-11

Helpful Links: tools.aggydaggy.com/# (Still in beta)
New Threads: Archive: boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/agdg/
AGDG Logo: pastebin.com/iafqz627

>Previous Demo Days
pastebin.com/X6fLvtzA

>Previous Jams
pastebin.com/qRHNpCbZ

>Chats
steamcommunity.com/groups/vgamedevcrew
webchat.freenode.net/?channels=vidyadev

>Engines
GameMaker: yoyogames.com/gamemaker
Godot: godotengine.org/
Haxe: haxeflixel.com/
LÖVE: love2d.org/
UE4: unrealengine.com/what-is-unreal-engine-4
Unity: unity3d.com/

> Models/art/textures/sprites
opengameart.org/
blender-models.com/
mayang.com/textures/

> Free audio
freesound.org/browse/
incompetech.com/music/
freemusicarchive.org/

Other urls found in this thread:

yoyogames.com/gamemaker
godotengine.org/
haxeflixel.com/
love2d.org/
unrealengine.com/what-is-unreal-engine-4
unity3d.com/
opengameart.org/
blender-models.com/
mayang.com/textures/
freesound.org/browse/
incompetech.com/music/
freemusicarchive.org/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

nth for GM babies need to stop posting literally day zero shit.

You fucking idiots.

>>Engines
>GameMaker: yoyogames.com/gamemaker
>Godot: godotengine.org/
>Haxe: haxeflixel.com/
>LÖVE: love2d.org/
>UE4: unrealengine.com/what-is-unreal-engine-4
>Unity: unity3d.com/
>> Models/art/textures/sprites
>opengameart.org/
>blender-models.com/
>mayang.com/textures/
>> Free audio
>freesound.org/browse/
>incompetech.com/music/
>freemusicarchive.org/
Absolutely disgusting.

Shut up and where is your game?

I've told you people before.
The OP will never change unless you take the autism to force it for a few weeks.

to be fair, while it was a very simple question, almost all of the responses were inaccurate

>>I have several thousand global variables set up at the beginning of the game

That is a description of what you are doing wrong.

>>if (var--) thing;
This is basically saying if var > 1, don't really think it's a proper answer.

>That is a description of what you are doing wrong.
Why?

it literally means if var decreases by 1.
var is assumed to have a non init value.

Occam's Razor you mongs.

Tonight I experimented a bunch. Someone last night said I should use montages for attacks so I converted everything and it actually worked pretty great. Even better is I now have the duration that the attack animation takes to play in C++, which means I no longer need to use anim notifies to toggle attack state (which had to be manually added to every attack animation). I tried doing it for death animations too but it didn't really work out as after the death animation plays, I need the enemy to just lie on the ground for about a second, but with the montage it just reverts back to idle once the animation finished - so I left the death animation as part of the anim graph.

I also fixed a bug with AOE damage where if a fireball did 20 damage, and the first guy blocked 7, the second guy would only take 13, etc. Now everyone takes 20 damage.

There is still like a .01% chance turn based mode softlocks and I have no idea why. It's so rare now that I can't even reproduce it reliably to test it. For all I know it's just problems with Unreal's hot reload which is always bugging out. I dunno man.

Reposting.

It's weird that I keep seeing this picture popping up since it was originally drawn by our art guy.

>pls spoonfeed me

you literally can't get punished for spamming it

No it literally means if(value >0) value -= 1;

Exactly yes.

maybe make it so it only forces knockback on the first kick, so any kick after that will end with the player inside the enemy and take damage

How does Harmony of Despair deal with this?

Hey does anyone know what's wrong with setting several thousand global variables at the beginning of the game? That other guy won't answer.

Please help me I'm new to game development.

the guy is kind of closer to the right track than you think

++, -- - Add or subtract one from a value. It is worth noting that placing this before or after the value to be added to or subtracted from will have slightly different results. For example:
++a will increment the variable and return the incremented value.
a++ will increment the variable but return the value before it was incremented.

game development is about the minimum input getting the max output
if it works, it works, but it might not be the "best"
he's saying that you're wasting effort on something when there's a better way

You are increasing the complexity of state of tons of your program by n^n where n is the number of global variables. Now kill yourself because you are going to respond to this with a defense of your retard design when you can google "why are global variables bad" and learn in 2 seconds you shouldn't be setting thousands of global variables ever.

There's nothing wrong with setting your variables at the beginning of the game, in fact that may be better than allocating memory as you need them for smaller non-memory intensive games.

But you should avoid global variables, as a rule as much as you can possibly. Global variables can be useful, but variables should be localised to the domain they are supposed to work in.

Global variables are one of the leading causes of many programmer errors, because keeping track of state can be hard.

>the guy is kind of closer to the right track than you think

No he's doing exactly what I said. What you typed is exactly what I just typed. I literally translated it into code. We're also assuming he's using some primitive meaning he just then changed the value after checking a number. He asked to check if it was decremented, not if it was the number 0. If(anynumberever) is just saying if that number is 0 or not.

It's a bad habit and doesn't reinforce the value of scope control and good code. Also when your project gets larger, debugging is not going to be fun. And any game of size will literally look like an UE3 config file. Have fun refactoring that.

>There's nothing wrong with setting your variables at the beginning of the game,

This is also wrong. What the fuck is wrong with you people.

> in fact that may be better than allocating memory as you need them for smaller non-memory intensive games.
>Let's just waste the users memory fuck them if they want more ram they can buy more

>using memory is wasting memory
>completely ignore the mention of "non-memory intensive"

personally I only use int64s just in case I need the space

>completely ignore the mention of "non-memory intensive"
>You now decide how important peoples ram is on their computer because you don't know how to program

If you are making a game for people that are not yourself or your own company everything is memory intensive, and cpu intensive.

I would also say you should have standards like these even for yourself, but we all know you have no respect for yourself and just try to throw money at problems instead of writing decent code.

but if it was like
>variable = 6
>
>variable--
variable-- would change it to 5 and then back to 6

still doesn't do the thing that was requested, of course.

>How does Harmony of Despair deal with this?
Never played it so I don't know.

Not even that guy and there is only a semantic difference between a properly-utilized global variable and a manager object to hold those variables. I can't find a single thing to support your n^n claim either.
>oh noes all these ints, what will I ever do with my FOUR PLUS GIGABYTES OF SPACE
Pls. He's not buffering an entire modern AAA engine.

>I haven't bothered to look at industry stats and don't know my target audience

>scream and flail around like a retard

>variable-- would change it to 5 and then back to 6
These are the people you argue with /agdg/.

what have I started
I was asking what I thought to be a very simple issue I was overlooking

sorry guys

It's just one guy trying to act like a know-it-all jerk making self-contradictory remarks. Ignore him.

No, post and pre increment both are assignments. The important difference between them is what happens when you do it.

If I just want to increase a value, I say

var++

or

++var

After that line of code, var will be var+1 in both scenarios. The only time the difference between them matters is during optimization or when you are using them logically.

The code you wrote will not change variable back to 6 unless you are using some esoteric language nobody has ever heard of.

Most common example of this is a for loop.

For(int someShit = 0; someShit < 10; someShit++)

Every iteration someshit will go up. What you just wrote implies that is an infinite loop. It clearly isn't.

Assuming you're the globals guy, what you should do is refactor your code to try to cut down on globals as much as possible. Look at each one and try to figure out if it REALLY needs to be a global, and if not try to make it local. Don't worry too much though, if it works and it's done and it performs fine you're doing better than half the people here.

you're right, apologies

This right here folks is why retards put 2D unity platformers on steam that have higher system requirements than AAA PS3 and 360 games.

>several thousand global variables

what the fuck man

>Not even that guy and there is only a semantic difference between a properly-utilized global variable and a manager object to hold those variables

There are so many implications with the dumb shit you retards write that you don't even realize. I can basically by your logic say there is only a semantic difference between any encapsulated logic and global logic, so there is nothing wrong with all data being global.

This isn't even some stupid OOP thing, even a C programmer is going to laugh at how stupid you sound.

It's clear to me now the reason everybody here shits on people who make their own engines is because they think it's black magic because they don't know how to program at all.

A 2d unity platformer with several active shaders and post-processing will most likely require AAA 360 level hardware.

This has nothing to do with coding capabilities. It's just a requirement of indie aesthetics.

Why don't you actually such my fucking dick? While you're here shitposting about best practices I actually have a fucking job as a Software Engineer. There is absolutely nothing wrong with a non-programmer using globals so long as he keeps his shit straight. This isn't a multi-man project where you ABSOLUTELY REQUIRE high-cohesion low-coupling data structures and a system that runs on the lowest possible memory.

>A 2d unity platformer with several active shaders and post-processing will most likely require AAA 360 level hardware.

>This has nothing to do with coding capabilities. It's just a requirement of indie aesthetics.

inb4 CS graduate meme

>Windows
>Gamemaker
>fresh out of college
opinion discarded

>I actually have a fucking job as a Software Engineer.

At a company that I'm sure does some shitty enterprise web solutions where you are so far abstracted from any meaningful engineering that your opinion is irrelevant.

> This isn't a multi-man project where you ABSOLUTELY REQUIRE high-cohesion low-coupling data structures and a system that runs on the lowest possible memory.

Every project is a multi-man project. The you today is not the you tomorrow and not writing garbage like what he is making is something you should always do. Of course, you are a "software engineer" so keep shitting out the advice when most companies consider "engineering time" as a valuable resource and use that as an excuse for their retarded bloated code bases.

guys stop

post progress and stop being shitters

Game Maker is a fucking plague on programming and game dev.

>not having a job a year before graduating
>using loonix as a home OS
Must be nice to have a shirt made of beard hair.
>y-your actual experience is irrelevant to my opinions because I don't like your job!
This is what you sound like. I'm not even reading the rest.

update: you can now tell items apart

OK I will start

You literally have no actual experience making video games retard, nor do you know what actual game code bases look like.

But whatever helps you sleep at night, the web of things or whatever meme shit you guys do in enterprise isn't going to bullshit itself into "existence!"

>ascii
>2016
If you want people to play/buy your game maybe you shouldn't do that!

>You literally have no actual experience making video games retard
Except I also do that in my spare time.
>nor do you know what actual game code bases look like
Literally anyone who can access github knows what various game codebases look like.
>whatever meme shit you guys do in enterprise isn't going to bullshit itself into "existence!"
You sound like one of those salty unemployed /g/ shitters.

Don't blame the tool for the retards using it incorrectly.

Blame the "ANYONE CAN MAKE GAME WITH THIS" ad campaign.

>Except I also do that in my spare time.
>Game maker open

These are the people who give you programming advice /g/

>implying I haven't used Unity
>implying I haven't built shit with SDL
>implying tools = quality
>implying tools = good gameplay
You sure are retarded boi.

it needs an evolution to Mt. Stupid posts as well.

The task, given the table on the left, is clearly "tools development."

>Implying anybody has been talking about gameplay this entire time
>Implying we aren't talking about code
>I-I totally used SDL guys honest I just use game maker because it's easy

Keep shitting it up Harpreet.

If only you'd chosen the rightful OP it could have been a thread about gamedev feels

This is the future you chose

anyone have the transparent version of this guy

>implying it wouldn't be shit either way

anime OPs are better

Nigger if you're blind enough to see my pasty white and and still call me Indian you need to go to a fucking doctor instead of shitposting here.

I actually hope that guy keeps using the globals just to trigger your autism.

short and sweet

>I hope that guy keeps writing shitty code just to get at you

I will not think about that guy after today. That guy will still have his own life ahead of him. If he wants to continue being a retard for the rest of his life that's on him.

At least he isn't going to have conversations about his "stack" at his shitty web dev job like you though :^)

pedo spotted

>implying webdev
Embedded systems. The only stack I use pushes and pops.

>Javascript programmer trying this hard to pretend his job is relevant

Wow you actually don't know what embedded systems are. I knew I was arguing with an idiot but god damn.

sorry i didnt know this is an "amateur money makers general" or "amateur make-graphics-first&ignore-the-gameplay general"

Step 1: Don't understand [thing]
Step 2: Get maximally butthurt about it anyhow
classic AGDG

Yeah, we already figured that you would shit on this thread just because nobody went over to your short OP. No fucks given to this blackmail.

>these are the sort of "developers" that use GM

Wew glad my favorite game on here isn't made with that shit.

No this is "amateur ignore the graphics and the gameplay, you have to program it right" general.

>Said javascript programmer is still trying to pretend he is anything other than a front end web dev.

Most ASCII fags I've seen from here planned on using it to the end.

They've all died or fucked off but that's irrelevant

Now you're just memeing. It sure feels good to win meaningless internet arguments with unemployed strangers.

Step 3: Backpedal like crazy and do damage control, even though this is Anonymous and there's no need to save face.

N-no NEETshaming pls user

I'd rather bully you into making gaem faggot :^)

I'm not that guy, that's literally my second post in the thread and my first was not related in any way to your discussion. I've just noticed that you're an attention-deficit-whore who can't stop shitting up the thread and posts picture of his fucking hands for the stupidest reasons. And I'm glad that there's no way for you to be the dev I'm following in this general since he isn't using GM.

Wow you sure are mad at seeing a single image of a hand and one with the tip of a thumb. Did you have a bad day?

>Backpedal

I never backpedaled. The original person who is using a bunch of global variables is still making a shitty program, that guy is still a javascript developer, and nobody has posted a game in this thread

>u mad? u mad u so mad lol

Yeah as I said, typical GM dev.

Switching languages then.

:^)

Meet the cast!

Now it's time to make the enemies. How does an internet shitposter look like?

Just take any one of those, add angry eyebrows, change the clothes color and you get the average shitposter.

The idea guy should have twice the ego and half the motivation

>The idea guy should have twice the ego and half the motivation
he should have twice the motivation, but a perk that drops it by 4 times the normal amount

That's actually a great idea, and it'll save me tons of work. Especially since I'll have different kind of shitposters, among which there'll be enginefags, loomisfags, etc. and they'd correspond with programmer and artist.

This thread is nothing more then script kiddies talking shit to a guy with a college degree and the guy posting 2 pictures of his hands causing a shit storm.

can we get back to the games

>Not using thousands of global variables and initializing them on startup makes you a script kiddie

Can do. If you got any more suggestions feel free to share them. It's just a meme learning project anyway, so balance is irrelevant.

It's literally one guy, that guy who created the short OP, he's samefagging to disrupt the thread.

I'm very curious about the fact he listed the website on top of everything in the short OP.

we're gonna build a game
and /v/ is gonna pay for it

>tfw got college degree but can't show it on the internet to prove that anything I say is right because it's in german and it would start up the meme engine

A college degree does not prove anything you say is right though.