All new cars to be equipped with AEB

What do you think about Automatic Emergency Braking Veeky Forums? Am I just a grumpy old fag who thinks cars are becoming overloaded with technology? I can see how it would be useful for normies who can't drive gud but why is it being included on performance vehicles? I bought a car in 2015 and I really like it's suite of tech and features, and genuinely happy it doesn't have things like an independent data connection or AEB.

Is it just me or does this seems odd for a performance vehicle? Does it allow you to still narrowly avoid wrecks or would it brake you before you even have the chance? What about in a track situation? Can you disable it?

>pic related, I can't imagine a twin-turbo V8 GT500 with AEB

npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/03/17/470809148/automatic-braking-systems-to-become-standard-on-most-u-s-vehicles

Other urls found in this thread:

arstechnica.com/cars/2016/05/another-driver-says-teslas-autopilot-failed-to-brake-tesla-says-otherwise/
youtube.com/watch?v=ridS396W2BY
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

How about install pedestrians with Automatic Emergency Stop Being A Blind Fucktard

>Driving through ghetto
>Hoodrat jumps out forcing your autonomous Apple cuck mobile to stop
>Rest of gang shows up bricks your face and gang rapes wife/daughters

No thanks.

More assists means people start relying on said assists, which in turn causes them to start doing other things because "the car will sort it out anyway", leading to more accidents and more electronic driver assists to prevent those accidents.

you guys are complaining about cars becoming safer

what the hell

hopefully well eventually pull a Paris and start forcing old cars off the road

keep your shit at the track

Yes, everyone should lease a Tesla with AutoPilot™ feature as standard. After all, we should think of the children.

I know youre just taking a shit but that would be preferable

I hope we reach a point were drivers arent needed on the road and are just there in case of software failure

>implying drivers who don't drive will be paying attention enough to miraculously start driving with precision during an emergency software failure

lol, they are barely paying attention while they're the one driving, they definitely won't be when the computer is driving.

>plastic bag blows in front of car on highway
>triggers AEB
>get rear ended and cause a ten car pileup

>something falls into road (construction accident, mudslide, shit from back of anotehr vehicle)
>can safely swerve out of way
>AEB engages
>you can do nothing but wait until falling object smashes your vehicle

>implying pileup
The other cars would be equipped with AEB as well.

meh

theyll probably be some failsafe that automatically shuts the car down and moves it to the side of the road or something

Im sure people will acknowledge flashing red lights or some shit telling you that something is wrong too

Why does the world cater to the stupid?

Because everyone's a winner, even the losers.

driving is an inconvenience and most would rather not do it

anything that lessens the amount of driver input is a good thing not catering to the stupid

Fuck AEB because it means, quite literally, the death of the manual transmission.

That shit becomes mandatory, the last manual has been built because a bunch of pussy ass faglords refuse to pay attention and learn to drive.

It's catering to the stupid when I'm not given an option to not have the feature.

Good. Humans should not be allowed to drive.

manual is outdated and needs to be phased out

no it isnt
its for your safety

I bet there were people acting like you when seatbelts took off

Oh, you're just trolling. Should have said so in the first place.

yes

denial is a valid response when someone opposes your view

the world shouldnt cater to people who want relics like manual

it should cater to the majority who dont want it

See
"Smart" technology is dumb. It's not racist, it's not sexist, it's not authority-ist, it's not manwithafuckinggun-ist. It's blind. It only sees humans and is programmed to avoid harming them like some asimov robot with a damaged logic module.

But, according to the kind of people that want self-braking cars, it's better to pay out the ass for really good insurance and get your ass beat and car stolen than to break trayvon's leg.

ITT: luddites can't accept progress and refuse to move on from their ancient relics

except they wouldn't be, because replacing or retrofitting every single car is an economic impossibility

AEB still expects a good following distance though, so it won't work if you're not within stopping distance. You should also maintain a good distance and avoid driving side by side with other cars so you can swerve or stop in time. Sadly for death statistics, americans like to "pick a lane and stick with it" even if it means increasing their chances of a pileup.

>not keeping a firearm in your car
>thinking their wont be an emergency shutoff
>not having your doors locked'
>not using reverse

why do you cucks always project your gangrape fantasies anyway

>except they wouldn't be, because replacing or retrofitting every single car is an economic impossibility

this is why we should force old cars off the road

they are unsafe liabilities

And this is exactly why we need self-driving cars. Humans simply can't be be trusted to control two tonnes of steel, glass and plastic moving at 70 miles per hour.

Cause stupid people with cars are really really dangerous

A luddite is someone whose career is threatened by technology or some other form of all around improvement that benefits everyone BUT the luddite

>Education becomes mainstream
>A luddite dislikes that his formerly exclusive and prestigious profession for the educated is threatened
>Manufacturing is automated
>Robots took r jobs

A luddite is NOT someone who prefers a roughly equivalent technology that is just older. There's no derogatory term for that because it's not a bad thing. Old technology often has its merits, as seen in computers with more than one port and replacable batteries compared to the new macbook, and transmissions with a highly variable shifting program called a "human brain" compared to the pre-programmed eternal economy mode of a typical commuter car.

This is why we need police that enforce actual safety measures instead of exact speed limits and broken taillights.

Can you imagine being pulled over and ticketed for following too close? Improper lane use? Most can't, and the good ol boy police (that, nonetheless, will pull ferraris over for 61 in a 60 while CRVs fly by) can't either.

Manual only trims are being equipped with it as well.

it doesnt matter

youre a minority

people shouldnt go out of their way to cater to you when it inconveniences the majority

People shouldn't go out of the way to inconvenience the minority either.

The idea of a simple greater good is an abhorrent thing for budding utilitarian psychopaths. There is no externally determined or otherwise intrinsic value to a human life or its opinions save, in the case of individuals that actually have a well developed sense of empathy, "absolute", which can not be stacked (there is no absolute+absolute, two people are as important as seventy, you try your best to save and please all of them).

But this little fedora tipping argument is pointless

because AUTOMATICALLY ACTUATING THE BRAKE IS AS SIMPLE AS AUTOMATICALLY ACTUATING THE CLUTCH YOU KNOW LESS ABOUT CARS THAN A CIVIC BENCHRACER GET OFF MY BOARD REEEEEEEEEEEEE

Well, if a majority thinks that you are a massive faggot and should kill yourself, will you actually end yourself? I do hope so.

As a tow truck driver, I deal with more shitty new cars, than shitty old ones.

Older cars it's usually a old battery, or a balljoint/rusty control arm that's finally given out.

But these newer cars, people park for a hour to go into a store and the entire car is dead, but it has auto off for everything?
>201X Cadillacs suspension suddenly goes out of wacky and your wheel is cocked at a 45°

>car gets a minor scratch on bumper, suddenly the computer locks EVERYTHING, engine, steering wheel, etc

>some jerkoff forgets his wallet in the house, exits his running car with push start and fob inside, car auto locks itself

>car/truck with ABS decides one wheel is moving faster that the other, locks up both

>truck has electronic 4x4, computer decides to reset from 2wd to 4wd

>New Ford pickups will 100% reset themselves to PARK, even if the linkage is set to N

>2018 Car with AEB malfunctions, now car is stuck in garage, stoplight, or 65mph+ on highway

People are fucking idiots, 90% have no idea how to care or maintain (and I mean putting air in the tires), let alone actually drive their vehicles.

"But taking the bus is for poor people, and how else will I show off, but I really just want my car to be a taxi so I can text or whatever"

There needs to be a car function and maintenance component as a licensing requirement.

It is the only piece of heavy machinery most people own, I don't get why we all sit around and think it is okay to let people operate it with out understanding the basics of how it works.

I 100% agree. The system in Ohio at least is a total joke, twenty minutes of sub 35mph and you get a okay to drive anything under 20klbs?
I tell you, it sucks to pull a brand new 4runner out of a ditch with some 17yo blood and vomit all over the interior when they don't understand how fast 50/60mph, because there's no resistance in newer cars.

If the industry was allowed to go under, or forced to downsize, would we still be in this hell?

top bants desu

>America requires aeb
Wow, so now we have even less chance of getting enthusiast cars from other countries
How many companies will pull out of America and say fuck you to these strict laws

None really, almost every major manufacturer has agreed.

Regulations works two-fold generally, but usually it's about stifling competition and increasing barriers to entry.

Fuck off you're like what 6 years old? im forty fucking two so i think I know a bit more then you do kiddo

This sounds more so like a reason to create and mainstream an industry, or line the pockets of those who have developed the technology. The sell is that they make it seem like the cars/drivers need it because there is an epidemic of people getting hit crossing streets, which it isn't.

As someone who lives in Zürich six months out of the year, I can assure you, that people getting blasted crossing the street is purely an American thing. Americans (I'm an Ameriburger myself) think they are all special snowflakes and are impatient, so it's common to see people J-walking or crossing a cross walk when they don't have the light to do so. Irrespective of a few hundred deaths a year to retards crossing when they are in the wrong, adding yet another sensor (increasing the costs of the car purchase) isn't going to do shit for the consumer but lift more money from their wallet. People will still get killed crossing the street.

This isn't a measure for pedestrian deaths, it's more about limiting rear-end accidents.

When I lived in the DC metro area, most pedestrian deaths were from idiots walking in front of city buses.

you'd have to be weapons-grade retarded to play chicken with a rolling death machine in any frame of mind. Maybe it's better that some of these people die.

As a fellow tow truck bro I agree. And fuck electronic parking brakes and electronic shifters.

>uninstall
>replace with a hydro

it makes it a lot less likely for someone to rear end you, and reduces the risk of pile-up accidents on highways. i think it's a good idea, primary concern being cost. (I've been rear ended twice; once at a yield where I had to yield or I would have been hit, girl just plowed into me, another time when I was going forward, a car started to change lanes in front of me and hesitated, driver coming off the highway was on his blackberry and not attentive).

AEB is for vehicles first. a lot of AEB systems don't have pedestrian detection.

there's going to have to be size/scale detection otherwise it going off would be a hazard. automakers aren't THAT stupid.

that 6 year old knows more than you gramps

Kill yourself. Cars were safe enough in the mid 2000s. Now we're just trying to solve non-issues.

I love it. I wish my car had it, but "forward collision warning" is the next best thing. Taking the time to brake manually, and having a car which can apply the brakes sooner than that, could mean the difference between life and death.

>>some jerkoff forgets his wallet in the house, exits his running car with push start and fob inside, car auto locks itself

I find that hard to believe. Many cars encourage drivers to leave their fob in the car while it's running by sounding alerts if the door is closed with the fob removed. My Volt honks the horn three times if I do that.

>people shouldnt go out of their way to cater to you when it inconveniences the majority

arstechnica.com/cars/2016/05/another-driver-says-teslas-autopilot-failed-to-brake-tesla-says-otherwise/
>All of a sudden the car ahead of me came to a halt. There was a decent amount of space so I figured that the car was going to brake as it is supposed to and didn't brake immediately. When it became apparent that the car was not slowing down at all, I slammed on the brakes but was probably still going 40 when I collided with the other car
Autonomous safety features are great, but drivers should provide human oversight.

Your existence inconveniences the majority. KYS.

>implying a truck/SUV could outbrake a sedan, even if both had EAB

>niggers with bricks can't rush your car in that 5 second period and smash your Windows and stop you from driving away

Braking will still reduce the severity of the collision.

youtube.com/watch?v=ridS396W2BY

I actually towed a Malibu for parking that was still running, with the FOB sitting in the cupholder.

The car wasn't illegally parked, but the cop sat on it for 25 minutes, before deciding impounding it now was better than finding it after it had been stolen.

Cadillacs and Ferraris are great examples of this, 2014+ caddies after you turn them off and shut the door, will HONKHONKHONK after two seconds, autolocking. Ferraris don't make a sound.

life in america; 2016

God people are stupid man.

After ten years driving i almost rear ended a car at 50mph in the ice, tired, at 4am while i was rubbernecking. Thank god the shoulder was open.

Autobraking, and lane assist will be on my next car. Too many times nodding off after a 12 hour shift too.

Only people who fear safety tech are poorfags.

>Hoodrat jumps out forcing your autonomous Apple cuck mobile to stop
>Rest of gang shows up bricks your face and gang rapes wife/daughters

This is how it goes in South Africa. It's why you are told to never stop even if you have to run over the people trying to stop you. Outside of the white enclave, it is quite dangerous.

It only works at sub 20 mph speeds

Relax, it is mostly to avoid small collisions in bumper-to-bumper traffic

The people are stupid are the people who are driving while aware that they are more impaired than if they were at the legal limit for BAC.

It's 2020. During the day, I ride in google self-driving cars.

During the night, I drive my little car.

My car rumbles in the night with her dark paint hiding from human eyes

I waited patiently. I am used to it.

No one thought of me as a threat.
After all, I drive a Miata.
It has no EcoBoost.

Taylor Swift got into the ecoboost AEB self-driving car. It was a tight fit because the car was so small and her legs were long.

Her google car boosted efficiently and drove towards her next venue.

I wielded my stickshift Miata deftly, darting between all the google AEB cars.

Overly polite and full of self-defensive driving, those self-driving cars made way for me as they tried to avoid collisions. I took advantage of that.

I praised the inventors of the Miata. "Thank you for not filling the world full of AEB EcoBoost"

After all, if the world was full of EcoBoost, I would be at a disadvantage on the road.

The road isn't only for AEB ecoboosted google cars. Skillful drivers avoid high insurance rates by driving cleverly.

I often force myself to drive cleverly on the Road.
I need to.
Because I only have a Miata.

Pulling alongside Taylor Swift's self-driving google AEB car, I noticed the model type was known to be one that refused to run over people-shaped objects.

I moved in front and pushed the button to send gas from the canisters to several blow up dolls.

They inflated immediately.

The wind picked them up and dropped then into the road in front of the google car.

True to its algorithm, Taylor Swift's google car preferred to crashed gently into the road barrier with AEB instead of running over people in the roadway.

Take that you AEB Bitch!

Sure, Taylor Swift was known to go through boyfriends at a prodigious rate.

But why did she have to drop me as her boyfriend? She didn't drop me for personality or looks. The reason stung.

She dropped me as her boyfriend

when

she

found

out

I

drove

a

Miata. With no AEB.

>What do you think about Automatic Emergency Braking

Take advantage of it to stop tailgaters.

Someone is tailgating your Lexus SUV on the city street. You installed the life-size standee of Hiiro in the back which pops out thru your customized hatch window (it slides down then up).

The tailgating car suddenly slams its AED brakes because the computer sensed a human figure and "saw" a human face. The AED is fully triggered since the car was going 35 and saw a human appear in front of it within 15 feet.

The tailgater hood airbag blows out to try to reduce injuries to the pedestrian appearing in front of the car. The AED computer is phoning home that AED is triggered. The tailgater's insurance rates will now go up due to AED triggering.

You drive merrily along and push the button to stow away the moot standee made with masonite and backed by non-foil dynamat to fool microwave organic material sensor (how it differentiates between non-organic mass of car object and mass of organic human/animal object).

Your car was also using electrochromic paint, so you switch to dark green instead of frozen satin blue.

>Pull the fuse
>No more car nanny

>implying you'll get access to the fusebox

>implying you can ever engineer around a human with a screwdriver

>Implying I can't just break the shit open and then nigger rig it and hide the damage.

I still think seatbelts shouldn't be required. There is no reason to ticket someone because they want to make a stupid decision not to wear their seatbelt since it only affects the person anyway.

it'll make sense only if it would have anti-tailgating feature and insurance fraud avoidance
i.e when some retard reverses and tries to slam your car as hard as he can

also i think that any sensible manufacturer will leave option to disable it easily. just as you can disable TC by using "snow mode"

>two tonne death machine
pull musk cock out of your ass

Yes, because all the people who have to come pick up your autistic corpse when it's flung across a field do that for FREE.

as awesome as it'd be if people could actually pay attention while driving, I don't see that happening. Aeb isn't anything I'd want on my car, but if it stops some idiot from driving into me then that's great

Are you that guy from portugal?

>What do you think about Automatic Emergency Braking

What would happen if someone tied a rope harness around a blowup doll. with a sheet wrapped around it. About two cupfuls of water are inside the doll to give it some weight to keep it right side up since the water goes down to the feet.. The sheet is wet with water and has some but not a lot of foil wrapped around just its waist so that the lidar and sonar and microwave sensors (the cars will probably use two simultaneous types) will trigger a "Human In The Roadway" alert.

The AEB of various cars will activate. All the cars slamming to a halt will cause those cars without AEB watching Harry Potter or playing Pokemon Go to be caught off guard. Would muslim terrorists do things like that?

They're not that smart. Look at the attack in Nice, the best that idiot could do was go orc-mode in a box truck.

>They're not that smart
He seemed smart enough to get his 72 virgin reward that his religion indicates he gets for working on its behalf.

>I can assure you, that people getting blasted crossing the street is purely an American thing. Americans (I'm an Ameriburger myself) think they are all special snowflakes and are impatient, so it's common to see people J-walking or crossing a cross walk when they don't have the light to do so.

Pedestrians in the USA typically believe they always have right of way, and if a car touches them, they can sue for money. Or they just are too arrogant as pedestrians.

Example, I am in the mall parking lot and am already backing out. I clearly have right of way now because I am moving and the way is clear. But suddenly, people walk out from between cars right into my path. And they don't stop but keep coming. I have to slam my brakes. They just keep on walking and give me dirty looks. I was the only entity in the whole driving aisle. It was them that just boldly entered the driving aisle. Yet, they seem to think it is all my fault.

The homeless often walk across the road even when the traffic light is green for us to proceed. They almost always ignore the "don't walk" sign. I have a feeling they do that just because they are angry at all the other successful people basically ignoring their plight. So walking across the street in the pedestrian crosswalk when the traffic light is against them is their way of blowing off steam and anger. That and setting arson fires. Every summer there are several different arson fires in my downtown area.

bingo, thread over. soon they'll want cars that automatically dilate your asshole so that Trayvon doesn't rip his foreskin on your sphinctor

LOL its fucking happening

last modern car i drove you could not totally turn the traction control off AT ALL

fuck even in my 15 year old dunnydoor v8 there was a hoon mode i had to get removed when the performance shop did my tune, i didnt even have to ask hahah

This. Christ, take a twenty minute nap. It's not like a twelve hour shift is that horrible. Try sixteen next time.

>leaf blows in front of your car while your doing 70 on the freeway
>triggers AEB and locks up brakes
>triggering hundreds of other vehicles behind you to lock up as well causing 3mph rolling parking lots day and night year round.

Or even better,
>dumbass broad gets used to relying on the AEB and uses it daily to put on her makup while driving to work.
>Suddenly it stops working and she slams into the back of a bus doing 60 shoving the mascara applier directly through her eye into her brain.
>car maker gets sued for defective equipment 10 gorillion dollar class action lawsuit is filed and cars now cost 10k more across the board.

im not saying I agree but we do pay taxes for a fucking reason you know?
no seatbelt no insurance sounds fair enough
just dont take out some unlucky cunt wit you