Help me plan a trip

Help me plan a trip.

To: Utah?? Needs to include Utah.
Duration: 5-ish days
Lodging: camping
Mode of transport: 2001 BMW R1150GS

What roads do I take? Where do I go? What areas in Utah will provide off-road trails that I can navigate on my PIGFAT motorcycle?

Other urls found in this thread:

ride-joy.com/2010-Forever-West-Featuring-The-Best-Of-The-West-On-Big-Trailies_10109671-28.html
mega.nz/#!JAtT3LhI!lyEDI1nqbVe7nqN3SD40mHea1tmrgt6YFRVQ6qJEcwo
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

do hwy 89 across the south of utah. absolutely gorgeous, relatively empty road with cool scenery, great junkyards and it will lead you to bryce canyon as well as eventually Zion national park. went from aspen through there to vegas with my cousin and it was a blast.

well obviously don't go east

neat, thanks!

I've driven between NY and CO a few times. It sucks. I've also been around the country before on my GS...

fellow Denver resident here, interested if anyone has solid input..

I am in denver. we need to do a denver /meat/

>BMW
Take a trip to your local auto repair shop.

I'd come, always wondered why we don't have any with all the good twisties up in the mountains

bmw motorrad =/ BMW ag

>my truck
>twisties
kek. I would be taking up thee back of the pack. I want to hit a bandimere wednesday night run what you brung at some point to get a baseline on my f250

Yeah.

u iz dum

My bike has 51,000 miles on it. It's fucking amazing.

There is a weekly meat, check /r/denverautoenthusiasts/

inb4 lol leddit

>red.dit

but would be down.

Get up through Wyoming, it is stunning up there. The rectangular shape of the border makes it seem underwhelming.

If your idea of BMW is that it takes a lot of mechanics to keep it running then you are one of those who don't really know how a car works. Unfortunately that is a large portion of their customers today, hence no dipstick.

>reddit

but I want eurobeat and Veeky Forumstists

BANDIMERE

ok i'll come in my fiesta st :^)

... Do you own a flight suit?

n-no
why?

There's another Fiesta ST chanfag in the Denver area that I've met.

neato. Sorry not me though

I did this route originally for motorbikes in my jeep a few years back.

ride-joy.com/2010-Forever-West-Featuring-The-Best-Of-The-West-On-Big-Trailies_10109671-28.html

Well worth it, epic views, very infrequently traveled trails, an altogether great trip.

Have you ever gone down to Ouray near Telluride? I drove to Moab, UT from the Kansas City area a few years ago and then stopped in Ouray for a few days on the way back. Holy shit that town is amazing. Well really all of those small towns in the area are but I stayed at the KOA campgrounds in both Moab and Ouray, they are really nice facilities.

Not op but yeah this is another area that is well worth it. You can go from Moab to Telluride by trails then go over some of the highest craziest off road passes to Ouray.

Didn't think to mention trails given OP's vehicle, but yeah they're amazing if he's willing to ride them on that bike. I was there for the 2013 Ouray Jeep Jamboree, did Black Bear Pass by myself, then hit Imogene and Ophir passes and Yankee Boy and Governor's Basin's with the Jamboree. We got caught in a blizzard on Imogene on the way up (this was mid September even) and heard over the cb's that the park service was closing the trails due to danger. On the way down we had snow blowing around us as this beautiful green valley opened in front of us with rays of sunshine beaming down. The picture will never do it justice, it was breath taking.

The Salt Lake Valley is really drab, I lived there for 9 months. Sundance is pretty awesome though. Be sure to get to Yellowstone, definitely a place you don't want to miss.

>tfw im taking a trip to yYellowstone in September
pretty stoked. flying from California to Montana and then driving a rented Ford Escape to Yellowstone.

Yep, by far my favorite part of that trip. I don't see op having too much trouble as long as he is decently skilled and takes care.

Yeah I was there in 2013 too - as per the filenames, just before you it seems. I did Imogene Pass with my wife on the last day, was right at the top as a thunderstorm hit.

>Wife driving
>Thunderbolts were coming down left and right, all we had for cover was a soft top and a cb antenna lightning magnet.
>Tell wife to drive faster
>She slows down, won't switch with me because a bolt might hit.
>Then hail started punching down once we got into the treeline.
>Covers everything
>Creek flooding, ford it
>We finally got down to Yankee boy basin road, make it halfway out when the road is covered in about a foot of water at a bend.
>Fugg it, we decide to cross.
>The water keeps creeping higher till we are at half wheel height, then a boulder rolls in front of the jeep, just above water level
>Tell my wife to punch it and drive around
>She locks up
>Raise voice
>Water getting higher, more boulders coming near
>DRIVE AROUND THE FUCKING ROCK BEFORE WE FUCKING DIE IN THIS
>She gets the memo, unlocks and drives past without issue
>Laugh about it after
Turns out it was the 1st day of the Colorado floods

Jesus, this looks awesome. $220 for the maps and shit though. Sounds doable on my GS with street-oriented ADV tires.

I've only ridden through Ouray. Wasn't there long.

>Moab to Telluride by trails
No shit. That sounds fucking cool.

I'm pretty willing to take the GS wherever as long as it isn't super rocky. 550 pounds of motorcycle plus gear and fuel isn't easy to manage on rocks; especially without knobby tires.
checked

I've been to Yellowstone before, it's really cool.

I could only add in 8 inter-stops with Google Maps but the whole Idaho-Wyoming border is spectacular.

>$220
Fugg that
mega.nz/#!JAtT3LhI!lyEDI1nqbVe7nqN3SD40mHea1tmrgt6YFRVQ6qJEcwo

Enjoy!

>Sounds doable on my GS with street-oriented ADV tires.
Yep, you wouldn't have a problem at all 99% of this route.

>No shit. That sounds fucking cool.
I don't have the gpx for it but it should be decently easy to find.

>I'm pretty willing to take the GS wherever as long as it isn't super rocky. 550 pounds of motorcycle plus gear and fuel isn't easy to manage on rocks; especially without knobby tires.
I'm not sure you'd be comfortable on a lot of the passes in Ouray then. It's not really rock crawling but there are a couple of rocky bits.

Holy shit that would have been a hell of an experience. That's totally awesome that we were there at nearly the same time doing the same things. There was a couple in the group from Colorado Springs that gave us updates from time to time that their neighbors were sending them regarding the flooding. I drove through there on the way home and saw entire roadways that had disappeared where the mountainside gave way.

Thankfully this was the extent of my water fording out there. I actually found this picture of me entering the river on some small 4x4 site several months afterward.

>as long as it isn't super rocky
Actually most of those trails could be done in a family sedan, save for a few tricky spots here and there. A lot of it is mostly for the scenery with bypasses around the hard 4x4 required parts if you don't want to do them.

Yeah, a Subaru outback passed me on Engineer pass. Many wat's were had.

>mega.nz/#!JAtT3LhI!lyEDI1nqbVe7nqN3SD40mHea1tmrgt6YFRVQ6qJEcwo

It's not really rock crawling but there are a couple of rocky bits.
I wish someone would buy my SV650 so I could get a dirt bike.

If an Outback can do it, I'd be perfectly fine on the GS.

I've taken my WRX to some pretty dumb places... I've actually had it on two wheels trying to get to a shooting spot before. I just needed a bit of a head start.

The front bumper is fucked because of my off road adventures and the shitty drainage swales and curbing here in Denver.

>shitty drainage swales
fuck these so much

It's fucking horrible. Makes blowing through yellow lights nearly unthinkable in a car.

My girlfriend's 2009 Focus actually rubs on more shit than my 2013 WRX. It's very annoying.

you have to go the long way, through the San Juan Mountains

Found one pic of the hail starting to come down.

I hope it helps. Also consider White rim trail in Moab. If the thread is still up tomorrow I'll post my own routes and some places worth checking out.

Touch narrow

bump from page 10

>White Rim Trail
I did that back in 2010 in a rental jeep on the cross country trip I did with the BMW.

Cool trail. Starting at the foot of that cliff was very intimidating.

Thanks, user. I was busy all morning.

Disturbingly similar taste in trails.

That reflection in your windshield though

When I was in Moab and did Fins 'n Things

Didn't have the balls to do the tougher stuff in a stock jeep solo, now I regret it.