/agdg/ - Amateur Game Dev General

Lewd Jam in 2 Days.

>Next Game Jam (Lewd -- Blueboard rules still apply)
itch.io/jam/lewd-jam-2016

>Lewd Jam Collabs
docs.google.com/document/d/1K9wlzcJntyOCV3KLvRcvllZ2ZUnGgrDtiwPdMLlw5XQ/edit?usp=sharing
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Sm0Pxz0uq-62L46TdXmKisynbhLI_by-pLNlcgo4B8M/edit?usp=sharing

>Play Latest AGDG Demos (DDX)
itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-10

>Next Demo Day (DD11)
itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-11

Helpful Links: tools.aggydaggy.com/# (Still in beta)
New Threads: Archive: boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/agdg/
AGDG Logo: pastebin.com/iafqz627

>Previous Demo Days
pastebin.com/X6fLvtzA

>Previous Jams
pastebin.com/qRHNpCbZ

>Chats
steamcommunity.com/groups/vgamedevcrew
webchat.freenode.net/?channels=vidyadev

>Engines
GameMaker: yoyogames.com/gamemaker
Godot: godotengine.org/
Haxe: haxeflixel.com/
LÖVE: love2d.org/
UE4: unrealengine.com/what-is-unreal-engine-4
Unity: unity3d.com/

> Models/art/textures/sprites
opengameart.org/
blender-models.com/
mayang.com/textures/

> Free audio
freesound.org/browse/
incompetech.com/music/
freemusicarchive.org/

Other urls found in this thread:

opengameart.org/content/sci-fi-user-interface
discord.gg/ysfBA
youtube.com/watch?v=d6RXvCUNX-4
twitter.com/AnonBabble

ur gay

Idea guy here, a game with:
>Procedurally generated sluts
Following the next tips:
>Breast size
>Age
>Race
>Specie (can be alien sluts too)
>Personality
>Religion
>Chastity
>Puffy pussy volume
>Prcedurally generated genitals (two vulvas, giant clitoris, little vagina, etc...)
and the most important part:
>Pregnancy mechanics (some alien girls can pregnant you too).

Enjoy.

Post your finished god tier /agdg/ games

Please remove Steam Chat Days from the OP. Lewd Jam is the only thing that needs to be there.

lewd ideas thread on /v/

>mfw it's the programmer canus artist deserves

sure you are senpai

and is totally not you either. keep up this grade of shilling and people actually will buy and refund it just to leave comments about how huge of a faggot you are.

ADG, I need your help.

Say you're working on one of those shitty 2D RPGs, but the focus is on magic. There are no warriors, no rogues, no rangers - just varying flavors of magicians. What kind of weird, esoteric types of magic would you include, and how would they function as a gameplay mechanic?

Post your mcs for a collab

if i get my game onto steam, do i get free keys to give out or o i buy that shit?

either way i'll still give some out and not shill like THAT guy

Got a new slider from OpenGameArt that I really like. The scroll offset is still off, but that can be fixed later.

The texture I got the slider from is here:
opengameart.org/content/sci-fi-user-interface

You can give them out essentially like candy.

Hey agdg, bunnydev here. As some of you know, I'm working on a lewd Metroidvania for Lewd Jam together with a coder and an artist.

The coder and I have been having an argument about whether the movement system he came up with works fine or not. Pic related (level layout, animation, etc, everything is placeholder).
I mean, it looks really cool, right? But I feel it's not really suited for the game. My original idea was a simple 2.5D metroidvania (2D game with 3D assets) with a lewd protagonist.

What do you think aggy?

Culinomancy - The magic art of preparing incredible dishes. These dishes range from foods that are such a magical experience they induce a food coma upon your foes, or poorly prepared dishes that can poison or inflict far worse afflictions upon those unfortunate enough to taste them. The pinnacle of cuisine can even grant hot spicy breath that can burn as hot as a dragon's.

discord.gg/ysfBA

JOIN THE DISCORD!

(Cross-thread)
(Cross-thread)
I do want it on Steam but I'm a bit short of cash at the moment so being able to get it free is nice.

Oh yeah I vaguely remember using that and SAI at some point too. I'll look into them.

>
Kleptomancy - thieving-based magic. Steal things and use them to make magic

so if i wanted to give out like 20 on each board i go to i could? sick desu senpai

I don't want to be rude because I know how much effort you've been putting into this, but is there any reason why you're not using a premade engine? I feel like everything you've done could be achieved in something like Unity or UE4 in 1/100 of the time it took you.

3D platforming is basically ass, you are correct.

Also this current idea will make anyone nauseous sooner or later

nice, reminds me of pandemonium

Chronomancy - The magical art of sitting still and watching the grass grow. A chronomancer spends years studying grass to see how each individual blade of grass grows at any given time, and the most advanced chronomancers are even able to watch paint dry. As a side effect, they gain powerful magics that allow them to shrug off damage by stepping outside of time, rendering them completely invulnerable to harm at the cost of not being able to really influence the environment around them. Some legendary chronomancers have even found the ability to inflict this fate upon others, though sadly many chronomancers are lazy and often die of starvation or dehydration.

It's kind of weird that she can walk on walls. But having multiple paths is completely fine. It's still a 2.5D game, it just has the option to move to a different path.

Cafeomancy.
Bring back the dead with your espresso, predict the future with the grounds left in the cup, and energize your fellow wizards.

Cool idea, HORRIBLE implementation

your coder is a fucking retard

I don't like the weird ass gravity going on. I could live without walking on walls. But stylistically I like it. I think your coder is on to something.

fuck magic go with dragon ball z powers

2.5d is cool and not done enough
whatever the fuck is that sideways camera twisting where walls become floors and stuff needs to be toned the fuck down to be truly good, though it could be a very good concept

1. Making a game quickly is not a priority of mine.

2. I don't want the future of my game to be tied to another company.

3. It's fun to learn.

Seems cool but that camera rotation when to walk on walls looks awful get rid of that imho

It looks cool but there is no way in he'll you probably could make it work outside short segments where it is a spell to progress.

I think the walking on walls need to be removed, it's too much like mohawk & headphone jack which is really really fucking nauseating after a while.

The 3d platforming is really really cool though and more games need to do it and should stay imo.

Slacker Magician

A lazy neet

Quizenomancy: The art of pretend you're asian. Masters of this art specialize in drinking green tea and squinting, while watching and reading far eastern media and putting on fake accents. While the effects of this school of magic aren't really that magical (as a matter of fact their magic is fake too) they have mastered the art of accidentally inflicting blows with their made up kung-fu moves and can also provide great healing to their allies. Laughter is the best medicine after all, and nothing is more funny than watching one of them try to do a ninja backflip and faceplant instead.

> create food, use it for buffs and special attacks
Thieving really isn't on the table, though if the game involves some manner of magic academy then I could probably squeeze it in somewhere. Not sure how it'd work in practice; maybe certain items can be interacted with and stolen that way.

Time-based magic is always nice.

I think this would fall under divination?

kys

>undertale reaction image

I almost want to buy this game just because of this

It's not actually 3D platforming, you're still bound on 2 axes but the they change based on the level layout.
But yeah I agree that the view continuously moving can feel weird.

I dunno I mean I like it, I just don't think it suits this game. I wanted to keep it as simple as possible.
As I also told him, it would be great for something like a 2D Mario Galaxy-kind of game where you can walk on any surface.

And just to be clear, the walking on walls is not obligatory (I never liked it to be honest, it feels too weird), he says we can keep most of the game plain 2.5D with some 2.75D sections.

well it might be fixable if it was not so ridiculously abrupt, and there was some sort of visual cue to warn you beforehand (like a pointing arrow or something)

Google Unknown Armies schools of magic or Unknown Armies Adepts

You could use godot

how about telekinesis, that's magic right

>2.75D
Just go all out and make it 5.634D

The thing really ruining it for me is the camera. It's a little nauseating.

Fakomancy. The art of using scrolls and wands so no one realizes you dumped all your points in Use Magic Device only.

Archmancy - The art of being an arch-mage. Not like, a great seasoned wizard or what not, but rather an archer-wizard. The magic is in the ability to actually draw the bowstring back and launch the arrow through the air, and successfully strike something. Most arch-mages learn how to manipulate projectiles in the air to steer them to more desirable locations. Practitioners of this art gain the ability to not only cause the projectiles of missiles, hurled rocks and pies to successfully strike their targets, but also manipulate friends shots to hit better and manipulate foe attacks to be deflected away, or even back at the shooter itself. Arch-mages use powerful bows that bend and can have a bowstring attached to them, and the most powerful arch-mages even cross-specialize into other schools of magic so that when their staff-bow is drawn back it shoots a projectile of pure magic instead.

I think it's kinda nice, except keep the view locked in to ground, so that ground is always down. That wall walking camera makes me dizzy, especially when the walls are so short and the camera goes back quickly.

You-da-MANcy. The magical talent of inspiring fellow party members by telling them words of wisdom to bolster their spirits. Most wizards skip out on this preferring to use actual magic, but the wisest of wizards realize that Youdamancy is a good investment since the "magic" is absolutely free, and it's completely placebo. The most talented Youdamancers eventually learn how to stand in front of a green screen and shout "DO IT. JUST, DO IT." which can be applied to a number of situations to improve the odds the desired effect actually happens.

It's just what we've been calling it. It works kind of like Klonoa.
youtube.com/watch?v=d6RXvCUNX-4

My main grips with it are
>it's pretty complex for me so while I understand how the code works I can't really get my hands on it because I'm afraid of fucking something up since there's a lot of things working together to achieve what we have now
>it makes it pretty hard to to design the levels in a way that looks good, makes sense and is fun to play through
>I wanted to have a map like Metroid and Castlevania and a 3D layout like this makes it pretty difficult to achieve (at least for me)

I mean, I went into this thinking I'd simply split the work load with another code but we'd be both doing relatively simple stuff, stuff I could make myself if I had the time. That might have been selfish of me I guess.

Shapers - A rare, extremely specific breed of wizard that does not actually cast spells but specializes in capturing, reshaping and expelling spells again. Shapers absorb spells cast in their vicinity and bend the spells into other shapes, such as capturing a line of lightning and then discharging it as a nova instead. Shapers are often coupled up with Elementalists in order to produce very unique attacks not normally possible (One popular combo is channeling a flamethrower spell into a shaper who expels it as a arc in front of them instead, striking multple foes in a very wide cone.)

Shapers must be careful though, for some spells should never be bent and shaped and can have dangerous effects.

More PROGRESS
Missiles can communicate with each other to hit the enemy ship at about the same time.

Geomancer - A geomancer specializes not in manipulating the forces of earth, but rather in locating specially hidden Geocaches in the world. .. . they're kinda dumb.

That seems like more of a negative than a positive. If evasive maneuvers are a thing.

Those missiles are more for killing ships instead of fighters. The ships are slow enough for this to work.

How do you go from Hello world to pic related? I don't know how you could just know to type this out.

>programming a game without an existing engine
Nope, not possible. Your making an engine and when that's done you can make you're game.

May I ask for some help?

At 9:53 it tells me to select the circle from the drop down list, but it's not there. I've tested it, and if I make an actual bezier curve, I'm able to select that, but the circle is just a circle in my version of Blender, and not a curve. What should I do?

> sorting arguments vertically

>camera lags behind so you can barely see in front of you
>instantly follows rotation and is super disorienting

How do you go from ABCs to post related? I just don't know how you could just know to type this out.

It's literally just experience and knowing how to turn an algorithm into code.

practice. build things. gain understanding.

Translating an algorithm from pseudocode to real code is trivial.

side note: pseudocode is SO FUCKING USEFUL for ordering your thoughts, holy shit.

Hi there

I'm sure you guys get this sort of question ALL the time, but what do you feel is the real problem with learning GML? I have 0 prior coding experience and have no idea how to "properly" code without bloat, etc.. I'm doing game dev as just a side thing that I do when I get home from work, but the sheer amount of vitriol I've seen in /agdg/ for GameMaker makes curious why you absolutely hate it.

On that note, I'm just working on a "learning" project by basically building tiny chunks of multiple games into one and just distributing it to friends since I'll be using art/music directly ripped from the games I'm trying to build. I figure once I figure out the ins and out of the engine I could go on to make something sometime in the next millennia.

plsnobully

Having intimate knowledge of the language you're working with and the libraries you're using helps.

I've never felt the need to write pseudocode before writing real code. Pseudocode is for when want to express an algorithm without actually programming in a real language.

just make a 1:1 copy of Dragon's Dogma, no one will complain

Never mind. I just deleted and added the circle again, and for some reason, now it is an actual curve and I can work with it.

>by basically building tiny chunks of multiple games into one
I'd advise against that. Your first few projects are likely going to be absolute clusterfucks, you don't want to be building anything substantial on top of that.

Make some throw away projects first.

I love it personally, but that might be because I am not as comfortable in coding as you are. It's a helpful intermediate step for me.

I hardly doubt /agdg/ really hates GM that much. I mean, like 50% of the people here use it.

GML is not really a good programming language to start with because it's insanely permissive with its syntax (to the point that normally incorrect statements will compile and work), has very little ability to create functions, has loose typing (You should always learn a strongly typed language first, fucking fight me everyone else), and depends heavily on built-in functions to do anything. Not to mention no real OOP or FP capability.

GML has no real means of abstraction. You won't learn any useful software design skills using only GM, and any software design skills you learn outside aren't applicable to GM.

When I make a videogame am I allowed to make a thread inviting /v/ to play it or is that advertising?

>you are a jack of all trades
>okay at everything, great at nothing
>you'll never belong in a team of experts

Also, most of the GM:S hate here is just shitposting. Most of the successful completed games from here used GM.
I actually disagree with this a bit, it requires a VASTLY different approach to apply design skills, but you can do it. It's just not easy and certainly not as effective as it should be.

actually never considered it, but it sort of makes sense

Story of my life except i'll be eternally shit at all things art

>tfw competent modeller but can't draw for shit

Make no mistake, that is a choice.

>jack of all trades
>pretty good at most things, very good in a couple
>strong leadership and interpersonal skills
>excellent candidate for team lead

>spend all day thinking about how you're going to make something >you're not even sure how
>shit code is better than no code
>write something you hardly understand
>press run expecting errors
>error

>tfw shit at everything

What does GM actually buy you over e.g. Lua, Love and Tiled?

What does Lua, Love and Tiled buy you over C#, Xna and Tiled?

I already put in years of practice and knew I'd never get anywhere.
At least there are others to do it for me

AFAIK Love is a lot more limited in what you can do with it. Frankly though, it's a matter of preference.

Can't get Love2D to build in Sublime Text 3.

Had it working fine in ST2 before I updated to Mint 18, but can't remember how I got it working.

LuaLove is installed on Package control, and I'm selecting it with ctrl+shift+b, but nothing's happining.

Some user gave me a code snippet to build it last time, but can't remember what it was.

Anyone have any ideas? It currently just brings up 'No Game' no matter what's in it

ok desu ka

>plan everything out
>make a solid list of necessary features and how long they'll take
>"Yeah, I should have a demo ready in a month!"
>Go to bed
>Wake up
>Turn PC on
>Won't start-up
>Been getting BSOD's and hard drive error warning for a few days
>Thought it would be fine
>Apparently it isn't fine at all
>Today was supposed to be progress day

I temporarily fixed it, and I'm making back-ups right now. But fuck, man. I really wanted to dev.

If there are as many "extension libraries" with built-in things for XNA/MonoGame as Love, then sure, why not.

GML isn't nearly comparable to Lua, for one.

Allowing reddit to join lewd jam was a mistake.

How so?

>GML isn't nearly comparable to Lua, for one.
Yeah, Lua's actually a proper language. GML's more of a light scripting language. I've never actually used LOVE, but I heard it was far more of a pain in the ass to use than GM:S. I'd kill for GM:S with a proper language behind it.

The jam creator removed all references to agdg.
We might as well list every single other public jam.

My reasoning is that if you're skilled enough to make something interesting in GM, you can probably graduate to something infinitely more flexible and productive and yet free and open source without issues.

My game might have competition.