/rwg/ - RimWorld General

Alphabeaver edition.

rimworldgame.com/

RimWorld follows a number of survivors from a crashed space liner as they build a colony on a frontier world at the rim of known space. Inspired by the space western vibe of Firefly, the deep simulation of Dwarf Fortress, the epic scale of Dune, and Warhammer 40,000.

FAQ: ludeon.com/blog/faq/
Wiki: rimworldwiki.com/
Mods: ludeon.com/forums/index.php?board=12.0 (also check steam workshop)
Recommended Modlist: pastebin.com/gPWvMJVq (embed)
Please leave any suggestions for the OP pastebin as replies to this post.

Last colony Randy ruined:

Other urls found in this thread:

ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=25188.0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

1st for alphabe... oh, we finally got the best edition!

REMOVE ALFABIVER

Any suggestion on how I should handle this mess?

don't set fire fighting to 1 by default

you don't want undrafted peons rushing into the middle of a firing line to put away molotov fires or to enter unforbidden death rooms

Not really an issue - I usually draft almost everyone, and the undrafted ones are restricted by area to not leave the base.

by assigning specialized and defined roles for everyone and only have them do that. there's no point in setting EVERYONE at 2 haul&clean. do you even know who your real haulers and cleaners are? do you know which peons and so busy that they will practically never do priority 3 or even 2 jobs?
your whole priority system is just a /rwg/ meme, first use normal priorities, either a colonist does something or they don't, only graduate to manual priorities when your manual input is actually superior to the game's (perfectly good) default priorities. you should also use allowed areas. a doctor could be set to clean on the highest priority but will only clean the hospital and then resume treatments because he isn't allowed to waste his time cleaning dirt on your corn farms.

>firefight, patient, bed rest, flick, repair, clean
always 1

haul, grow, mine, plant cut
usually 1 or 2, lower on important skilled workers

>hunt
active on anyone who's not a huge faggot (brawler or incapable of violent)

>doctor, warden, handle, construct, art, smith, tailor, craft, research
active only on pawns with interest/passion, priority depending on skill

turn off everything for everyone

turn patient and bed rest to 1 for everyone you like
turn doctor to 1 for decent doctors to make sure the wounded get treated
turn warden to 1 for your best social person, shouldn't need more than one warden

now, give people "2" in things that they're really good at, and "3" in things they can't fuck up. i.e. you don't want a shitty crafter doing any smithing or tailoring

make sure you have a couple people with priority 2 cook because by the look of it you'll need lots of meals.

you'll probably also want a couple of people just to clean and haul. surely some of them aren't good for anything else. clean/haul/dumb craft is a good setup. also make these people priority 1 firefighters, you have enough people to have 3-4 dumb laborers which should be enough to handle any fires without disturbing people who are actually good at things.

really only your very best crafters and constructors should make things--it matters.

give priority 4 to stuff you don't really want people doing unless there's literally nothing else--cleaning/hauling/dumb crafting for everyone, growing can be useful but is time consuming so you don't want it to be too high of a priority for most people, things like that.

oh, and put plant cut wherever I said dumb labor.

Waldo, Orlene, Robbins, Manuel look like good dumb laborers

never forget dumb laborers or else nothing will ever be where it's supposed to be

and get Salamander making bricks high priority to increase her crafting, double passion can be high skill in short order.

too bad there's not a way to separate building walls/floors and building furniture

prime example of meme priorities right there. instead of using your brain and considering the circumstances of the game and whatever colonists you happen to have at the moment following rules of thumb will only lead to unbalanced production, some shit will get done too much and some not at all, guaranteed.

Captain obvious to the rescue. We're not giving specific advice, but a rough guideline how to generally set up priorities.

Thank you, guys. Based on your input I'm doing some changes, I'll show the edited priorities soon.

the fact that your mistake is obvious doesn't make it wrong to correct you, nor is being self aware of ones own mistake make you any less wrong for having made it.

But there was no mistake in my post. You're just being autistic to the max.

I'm glad I've never had to manage that many guys. seems like at a certain point it's just a cycle of need pawns to build and maintain a base big enough to contain lots of pawns. guess it comes in handy when enemies come knocking, but don't enemy numbers scale with colony numbers?

you gave shit advice. this sort of abstract way of looking at the game is very common for autists, and autistics being autistic will naturally follow it and suffer. your general advice might not even necessarily be wrong but it will only work in large colonies due to margins of error canceling each other out due to law of large numbers. however colonies don't start big, they start small and you have to carefully plan roles for each peon based on how you initially rerolled them, and then try to integrate new peons without changing your current system too much, just expanding on it. also if i were autistic to the max i would've pointed out earlier that you lack the information to deduce that Salamander has double passion crafting.

Actually as rough guidelines (as said) they are helping a lot. After I got the priorities by their suggestions, I'll let the colony run a bit and see if people get stuff done.

Some small changes I'll do compared with their suggestions:
* Two wardens, Trumpet and Manuel. Manuel has burning passion, Trumpet is good, Pew should be doing other stuff as bricks, and I do need two after tribal raids.
* I can use more builders due to the QualityBuilder mod - only Trigger builds.
* Repair is set up at least 4 for everyone, while raids are going on I like to micro repair.
* Since tailoring, weapon smithing and stuff like that's bills are configured to 10+ skill (except thrumbofur parkas - 15+), people who can fuck shit up won't be able to do so. So I can spare some flexibility on that.

The enemies scale, but my defences are decent-ish and this is on Cassandra Rough (I'm trying to make a 60+ people colony, so I had to reduce the difficulty). And I got so many pirate raids at the beginning that almost everyone has either sniper rifles or charge rifles.

i wasn't talking to you so shut your whore mouth. if you weren't incapable of hacking it at this shit game you wouldn't have ended up in this mess you dirty basebuilder.

how the FUCK do you make an underground base?

I still seem to need being half outside for crops, building materiales like wood and panels/turbines for electricity

how do you fuckers do it?

>60+
Not gonna happen in this game. The storyteller goes apeshit at 50 and things get laggy long before that.

Wow wow. So aggro, it's cute.

keep it down stacy the big boys are talking

so a thread back I solicited scenario suggestions and the one I liked best was top secret glitterworld bioweapons research base. think I'm going ahead with these rules:
>3 well armed, good soldiers with random skills
>1 generalist grunt laborer
>1 doctor/researcher doing the experimenting
>require mountain base
>kill or capture and execute all spacer, pirate, escape pod, etc.
>only grow through "wanderer joins" but arrest and execute wanderer if not realistically sent by my glitterworld government to help
>downed tribals must be captured and kept alive to experiment on

thoughts? obvs. everyone is going to be a psychopath, otherwise morale would be crushed by constant executions etc.

sun lamps and hydroponics I guess
also you can find valleys within the mountains
remember all that blank space is unknown, not necessarily rock

there's also a mod that lets you put dirt on floors so you don't need hydroponics

no, you're just raging against a bunch of people who are looking at you like the homeless nut on the train.

> people get sad when I harvest organs from pirates
What the fuck is this horse shit.

probably just needed some penalty to keep constant organ farming from being a ridiculously easy way to make cash

There isn't much that has to be outdoors. Basically only half of your electricity production: ship reactors (late game) and solar/wind power (early game).

You can roof your growing zones to protect them from threats like toxic fallout or use hydroponics for overhead mountain growing areas.

user this must be the first time in my career as a poster that someone got this mad when i wasn't baiting or even talking to them directly. i suggest you take a good look at yourself because being this volatile not only makes you vulnerable to smart people who want to fuck with you it will also sabotage your relationships in general.

>that one guy on autism overdrive
Sometimes it feels like there are people who spend all day probing Veeky Forums for random generals that are easy to troll.

>so mad he doesn't want to quote my post
meta posts like yours are the epitome of autism because you want to pretend to not care but lack the maturity to just let shit go like a normal person

glad you said this
never realized ship reactors could be used to power base

why do they have to be outdoors? restriction on where ship parts can be placed?

Yeah, you can only build ships outdoors. And the reactors are too big to roof them over later.

Is this better?

Ah, he's just a pyro convent child sheriff. Let him in the thread, the doctors might use him as training dummy.

Again: tasks where people can fuck shit up (as smithing and tailoring) are already set up to require 10+ skill. So people with low skill but burning passion should only craft bricks.

real sad how you shit on the only person trying to give you good advice and leading you towards the path of good base building. i think i'm going to cry myself to sleep like i always do

I can't track who posted what in this thread, so if you're the same as , again: thank you.
Still, I'm only mocking your overly aggressive tone in and .

your so called mocking is just thinly veiled butthurt, i don't feel bad that you call me names i feel bad that you don't follow good advice

Keep in mind that the manual priority system retains the priority order from the automatic system.

For example, Chedoc could have the priorities at
11111211211122 instead of 11122422422244 the effective task priority would be exactly the same.

I'd avoid letting anyone but Emily smith or tailor anything you want for your colonists, but dumb-crafting with the passionate ones (or mass-producing shitty goods for sale and experience) is a good idea.

with regard to construction and medicine, when you're scheduling surgery or making important shit like hospital beds, don't forget to manually prioritize to make sure the gold guys get the job.

also this. it was a miraculous revelation when someone told me this for the fist time.

>11111211211122 instead of 11122422422244
keep your 14 character strings separated by hyphens you fucking animal
should be >1111-1211-2111-22 instead of 1112-2422-4222-44
did teamviewer teach you anything you mongol?

anyone know if "crafting" covers artillery shells (vs. smithing)? obviously skill doesn't matter for them, plus they're more useful to have around than piles of brick at a certain point.

yes it does, however don't make the mistake of spreading out your crafting jobs between too many peons if you can help it, not unless you started with sparkles.

they're flames bro

thanks man it's been a while since someone called me bro feels kinda good

god damn I hate being on GMT
by the time boards speed up I'm asleep

here's a picture from one of my favorite playthroughs

For building: ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=25188.0
This mod is a godsend, only Trigger does anything with quality.

For doctors, I'll still micro like you said.

Then don't - I'm following your advice as well as the others'. I'm just trying to consider everything.
(See how the dedicated haulers ended the ones you mentioned.)

Regarding Emily: fair point, but I'll do that by messing with the bills instead (otherwise the bitch ends doing components while people do nothing)

I'm aware, but this way (1 for urgent, 2 for usual, 4 for only when inactive) is easier to visualize for me.

>also this. it was a miraculous revelation when someone told me this for the fist time.
Yeah. That's why I always have cleaning at 1 on everyone, it's basically last on the list. If there's nothing to do on the list before it, it definitely should be done before checking for lower priority jobs.

And I still end up micromanaging pawns to clean areas, especially hospital floors right after battles.

>And I still end up micromanaging pawns to clean areas, especially hospital floors right after battles.
Yeah, I wish more about mechanics was available on the wiki. someone on here said cleanliness of floors (as well as sterile tile) helps prevent illness from spreading and infection from occurring.

Cleanliness inversely affects infection chance, so you don't want it to get high into negatives. Sterile tiles raise the max cleanliness to 0.6 from 0.

You don't need wiki for this stuff, just pay attention to the in-game tooltips.

cleaning should well be last on the list because stuff always get dirty and at high priority it interrupts everything else the peon might be doing and makes them walk back from mining dat iron to clean some shit back at base. get dedicated cleaners for restricted important areas. cook should have cleaning priority before cooking so they always clean the kitchen before potentially making food poisoning meals BUT restrict them to the kitchen and certain utility rooms so they don't clean the whole base all day long and never cook the food

goddamn amateurs i can only imagine the walking/hauling times your guys must be going through every day.

Sounds p good, keep us updated. Make sure you kill all traders, only trade through comms.

Also maybe "recruit" some of the captured tribals and set specific zone restrictions so they can be slaves doing menial labour (farming, mining, etc, make them eat nutrient paste while colonists get fine meals). Get a drug production system going and keep them hooked up on wake-up and yayo. But them on a Brutal work schedule, execute when they go berzerk or collapse.

looks comfy but where are your crops

do trees ever respawn on their own?

too busy planting chêne for his générateur de carburant

Is there even any point to a large colony? I mean other than curiosity.

both good suggestions, will do. maybe like 4 hours of sleep, no joy time for slaves.

the valley to the right was sheltered and I grew crops there during spring/summer and froze enough to last all winter.

though I usually ended up having to hunt a little before growing season came back.

wish I could play that map again with the experience I've gained since. it was my first win.

If you have everyone doing cleaning on a reasonable priority, your home zone is always 100% clean and the pawn closest to dirt always takes the job when cleaning is needed. This way cleaning takes minimal manhours and the place remains clean for maximum impressiveness and beauty buffs.

Contrast that with dedicated janitors who have to spend most of their working time running around from dirt to another. You're losing worktime and good thoughts. Terrible idea. You can't even clean anything before you have surplus unskilled workers.

figures you have no idea how dirt forms otherwise you'd realize how retarded your idea is and how prone it makes your colonists to the very same think you're criticizing my superior cleaning plan for. by all means try it and see how it fucks your work efficiency or maybe you just don't care about your colonists constantly walking on their way to and from cleaning trivial dirts because they just can't help their compulsion.

the one sad thing about that game is the dog. he was the starting companion for my rich adventurer but lost two legs. I kept him well-fed in his master's cabin where they lived for the rest of the game, but we couldn't take him offworld with us.

headcanon is the husky pack that joined us still brings him food because otherwise I'd be too sad.

Now it's running really smoothly. Shit's getting done, Trigger doesn't stop building, Emily doesn't stop smithing my sniper rifles... sometimes haulers get lazy, then I just order something low-priority to haul [like more stones] and they get busy again.

Again, thank you guys.

Can i keep human meet segregated from non-canibals?

A13 fag here, after one colonist's arm got shot off i replaced it with a bionic one (EPOE), and it resulted in a biologic arm. Does the game keep the injuries of bodyparts, so that arm is actually just a shoulder and doesn't replace the shot off arm of the next guy i attach it to? Or is it a basically free new arm?

you got it. my only demand is that you share the artwork if you get an excellent gun. shit's always good for a laugh.

recent shot of Comfy Canyon

This is literally my aesthetic aim for my colony. Good job lad

thank you, sir. the canyon is mostly roofed over. I was getting bored with boxy, generic looking colonies and tried to make something more appealing to the eye as well as functional.

Yeah. I tried to randomize many colonies to have a nice spot for a canyon colony but it always sucks

I really lucked out. I've got maybe 3 or 4 tiles of overhead mountain in the whole colony. If you look carefully I think you can see the insect jelly from the first infestation by the fermenting barrels.

Post your colonies, guys!

Comfy. Would join.

>user, Shitposter has joined the colony
>incapable of: EVERYTHING
p-pls don't turn me into doctor training guineapig ;__;

thanks!

any tips on making it more comfy? I was trying to keep it economical to eventually build a ship, i've already bought the AI core and have a few techs researched.

Is there a way to cause cave-in, doors, or fire IEDs to trap fleeing raiders so I can capture them?

Os that exposed power conduits that I see?

> Is
Fix'd.

Build a maze in front of your base, before your killbox. In order to enter or exit your base they'll have to use the maze, but you could just use doors to leave your base and catch the fleeing raiders at the exit.

>Are those
Fix'd for realz.

it's these you filthy fucking animal go wash up you dirty pig dog

esl pls go

i've been here from communism to beavers, there is no getting rid of me

Had a few raiders dig a backdoor entrance and they burned my crops and killed a few useless colonists. Mood is through the ground as all they can eat is human meat which won't last through the winter. Why are sappers allowed, they are so damn fast.

>sappers
This is artificial difficulty at its finest. Nothing can be fucking done about this.

>Raid!
>They are unusually clever in their tactics
>It's one dude wearing a breastplate and nothing else with a club hopped up on go-juice
sometimes, the shit this game's raid system throws at people is just funny, sometimes its just plain bullshit. I wouldn't worry about it

power conduits are all on stone tile or rough stone, and none inside any buidings. all stone walls. fires have not been a problem. I always assume that a power conduit will go at any time.

if you always assume a power conduit will go at any time you wouldn't build them out in the open like the retard that you truly are

Well I don't like it, I am going to the data directory and delete these fucker from the game. Period. Half my town are in a daze starving and hypothermia because of these bullshit.

why the fuck wouldn't I? there is nowhere in my base that a fire can get out of control. the farm fields? who gives a fuck.

because they can randomly explode and potentially kill or maim your colonists you dumb piece of shit do you even know how fucked up fire damage is how dare you even talk back to your lord

Count his batteries real carefully.

i know you americans are stupid but do you really think wires can't explode without batteries you dumb frog

post your colony

is your name Ken M by chance

my peony is too good for your virgin eyes

stop using my word incorrectly

my name is anonymous you blind cow i have no other name online

shut the fuck up i have rescued this meme from the depth of hell and i will stop at nothing until everyone uses it. if it was really your memechild you'd have forced it better you goddamn abusive savage

How do I into killzones? I've made 5-6 colonies past the start-up stage but they all die once I start getting raided by 10-20 raiders.

>9 raiders droppodding in and about to build mortars
>send Adam Jensen with a sniperrifle, picking off three guys easily before they rush attack
>they're pretty much cannon fodder for my two turrets and three guys with rifles

two days later

>THIRTY fucking tribals attack
>at least 20 have bows, mostly longbows
>they destroy my four turrets and headshot one of my colonists (now an almost braindead vegetable) before they book it

If there's one thing i didn't expect to be afraid of in this game, then it was a horde of savages with bows.

like so.
you can do other fancy shit like bomb traps, a wider corridor for more fall traps, turrets in the walls, etc. but I find this setup is ok.
It helps to have a few dudes at the start of it aiming downrange, makes things super easy.

If you're in the middle of a mountain, how do you use coolers? Do they just dump to 1-tile dummy rooms? Or does the game model thermodynamics and carnot efficiency at all?