/sbg/ - Starbound General

RIP ZINC edition
Quick note to you guys, Zinc finally took down his ERP server, but, the community has restarted it, with a new host.

New Discord for /sbg/, Velo's discord.
discord.gg/F9G99Xf
New pastebin for the /sbg/ RP [with lewd] server
pastebin.com/MWSu3H9m

Patch 1.10 is out
playstarbound.com/starbound-1-1-changelog/

The Booru:

sbgeneral.booru.org/

Mods:
nexusmods.com/starbound/?

community.playstarbound.com/resources/

steamcommunity.com/app/211820/workshop/

QOL mods:
pastebin.com/WeKUygSf

Mod Guide:
(feel free to add mods there)

docs.google.com/document/d/1bogJqITtx6qLy0QAP-93Q4ndD8yWWsHDKZl7SZXlJzs/edit?usp=sharing

Wiki:
starbounder.org/Starbound_Wiki

Item ID Repository:
starbounditems.herokuapp.com/

Serverlist:
pastebin.com/8TNruA0p

Server Points of Interest Sheet: (finding /sbg/ on various servers)
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1eaPqQC4u3LnlMdP_RAGxAFCJLYZ0ZcO1XTDpOWA9EBk/edit?usp=sharing

Mod plans: ideaguying thread. Let's make Starbound great together.
docs.google.com/document/d/1BTvQY1q4XKfSNOee92GseDi7ZUe1k94FeHOUwizHBQo/edit?pref=2&pli=1
Last Thread:

1st for cute novan cowgirls

Carnodonts are cute! CUTE!

Glitch players are shit

To that user that suggested a holding area for my USCM base, I hope this delivers.

What's the actual name of the latest version? Just 1.10?

>jail cell
>only accessible through another jail cell
nigga that is how you get shived or worse.

The animals are locked in there. I care not for them. I hope the bird goes first.

Constipated Cockatoo

>Download modpack helper and put the batched file in the mods folder with the mod intend to be packed
>run modpack helper and choose option 1 to select a mod to pack
>"there are no mods to pack

what the FUCK am I doing wrong?

I aim to please, user.

Please respond, my modding was going swimmingly up until it got to the point where I have to pack it. I followed every available option to the letter and I'm getting zip.

Thread just started and already page 9.
Ded game.

Maybe it just doesn't work.

>tfw no good servers

Hey.

We've servers. It's just that the game is
D E D
E
D

From the modding tutorial on the starbounder website:

>Download the latest version of ModpackHelper
>Extract the zip in your Starbound/giraffe_storage/mods/ folder
>Double click on the ModPackHelper_vx.x.bat
>Choose action 1.
>Wait for success message.

Except there is no giraffe_storage/mods folder, there's only the mods folder and a completely separate storage folder. I have the mod I want to pack in the mods folder right next to the modpack helper and it's not detecting the mod.

Quick question, does anyone know if/how ship mods can be multiplayer friendly?
I want friends to play with me on a modded ship, but I don't necessarily want them all to also have the same ship.

Got the base's control center up and working. Thanks for the suggestion, user.

>When your server's discord gets too real

Are we playing on a good vanilla server yet
I must construct Mother Space

>Make new character
>Get bored and start building base
>Get a pretty big base
>Realize base building is completely pointless in this game
>Get depressed
>Delete character
>Rise and repeat

No. Sorry man.

You were supposed to let it die.

Don't be like that. Going back and forth between catalog and threads is annoying even for us lurkers. Keep your threads alive, damnit.

gotta agree here.

While the collection menu as ok, fishing was rather underwhelming. Is there any plans for a more substantial update?

So when I join this new server tomorrow, the home planet's spawn point isn't going to be directly above a pool of lava or giant pit, right?

How can an electric bill be that high? I guess from constantly having the computer up?

Speaking of servers, which one's the most active one?

Is there a way to mass clear inventory on casual?
I accidentally created an item that crashes me when I mouse over it.

Use starcheat and delete it

This shit, it's obnoxious enough when a thread actually gets to the end but doesn't link to the next one.

Hey user, nice job. Thanks for taking the suggestion, it looks fantastic.

awesome thanks user

Holy fuck whoever wrote the tutorial page for modding on the starbounder wiki needs to be hung. The fuck is this bullshit about using modpack helper? Why won't it simply fucking state directly what I need to have and what needs to be done? How come there's no resource out there on how to set up folders correctly? Why is modding this game such an intuitive pain in the ass?

>lmao ur bad

apparent-fucking-LEE I am, but literally NO guide on how to set up mods ACTUALLY TELLS YOU ALL THE STEPS. FUCK I MAD.

Not if we can help it.

Just copy what other mods do

That's how SS13 turned into the most tangled mess of spaghetti this side of WW2 Italy.

yeah but the difference is that ss13's wonky brokenness is fun

I'll tell you what. The game is fun, it is, but the bugs and bullshit are not. Nonsense, sometimes. Not the bullshit. So much lag could be fixed with basic maintenance and coding habits.

What blocks do I use as floors in my ship? I've got a place where I don't want a hatch but every block I've looked at so far is ugly as fuck.

It's because, even though both are unoptimized shitpiles more often than not, SS13 servers actually make content.

Paint shit white or black.

Painted wall panels work good for me. Neon blocks work good for blank spaces too and also paint up nicely.

Alternatively, maybe girders or some such thing.

But the wall panels worked well for mine I think.

That looks pretty good, thanks guys.

I remember something like that happening on the goon servers once. They literally broke the temperature physics - I think it was the chemistry department that did it somehow. Not only was everything catching fire, there were roaming invisible waves of heat and pressure that instant-killed people. It was astonishing. This was before the heat-powered engine was re-implemented incidentally.

RIP d20 Station

Vanilla server when?

When you perform the ritual and offer the sacrifice.

>get phase shift mod
>try it out
>suddenly feel like I'm cheating
>don't want to get rid of it though
It's just fun in it's own right.

never

Something something remove xeno scum

I probably went too far with this one...

..and the second half.

Looks nice user. I especially liked the sex dungeon.
There is too much xeno scum living there though

Looking Good user. Can you please post a screeny of how your base is looking so far. There is a mod that allows you to zoom x1-x10.

I like it. What's your pavement though? Sandstone bricks?

Soft bricks. Like in avian villages.

Ah, right. Thanks.

Is there a way to protect tiles other than using shield generators?

There's mods that disable environmental damage, if that's what you need.

>play Terraria
>find some ruins underground
>they're randomly generated
>have random furniture and statues and whatever to give them a more unique feel

>play Starbound
>find some ruins underground
>explore more
>find the exact same ruins with exact same layout in different place
>and again
>and again
How can Chucklefucks suck even at such a lazy thing as procedural generation?

Starbound's micro-dungeons are not procedurally generated.

Yeah, and that sucks ass.

I don't think starbound's approach of using hand-crafted content within procedurally generated terrain is inherently worse.

But they do make bad use of it in some cases, as you've noted.

There are good use cases as well; those are the ones people don't notice, or believe to be a part of the procedural terrain generation.

Is there somewhere I can read about how the game changed over beta and why things were removed or altered?

>Is there somewhere I can read about how the game changed over beta
Wiki's changelogs

>and why things were removed or altered?
haha, no.

>There are good use cases as well; those are the ones people don't notice, or believe to be a part of the procedural terrain generation.
You mean the weird dick-formed dirt backgrounds or "caves".
I don't know about anyone else, but I do notice them and they're just as repetitive as the microdungeons. I'd go as far as to say they improve the game even less than cucklefucks microdungeons, since they make the terrain look much more generic and same-ish.

Only the very minimal ones (gnomes, surface graves, etc) aren't very noticeable. Anything more complex is completely noticeable after discovering 2-3. That is part of the reason why people complain of the 'sameness' of the planet types.

Procedurally generating the objects and block materials for structures let alone size and shape variants is objectively better since the planets are procedurally generated.

So I assume the devs aren't big on communicating then

They just made sure Starbound 1.0 is going to be like their vision of the game.

You could scrounge through all the dev blogs and maybe starbound forums for some tidbits of community management (not really communication)

But there isn't a single clear-cut explanation for why they slowly degraded many aspects of the game. However, it's not all bad. Some of the removed/reworked content was just shitty placeholders. The current bossfights aren't anything to write home about, but they used to be worse. Much worse.

But why did they need a placeholder for a placeholder like they needed for the combat.

Why? No one knows.

My guess is that the project was mismanaged from the beginning. I'd bet starbound never had clear design documents.

That would certainly explain the aimless cycles of making placeholder content and then trashing it instead of developing it further.

Who needs clear design documents when you have a crystal clear vision of your game.

This is what happens when an artist is running the show and there's no dedicated game designer

Considering this the game is better than it has any right to be, it's just a shame they're trying to grab the Stardew Valley audience by wasting time with shit like fishing when the game needs more meat for actual exploration

>This is what happens when an artist is running the show and there's no dedicated game designer
No, starbound's shit-tier *performance* is an artifact of that. And more specifically, it's about the lack of programmers rather than designers. Game designer is just a buzzword title, any corporate bootlicker with basic social skills can become a "designer". Professional game programmers are what one needs to deliver good games.

>Stardew Valley audience
More like stealing more stuff from Minecraft/Terraria, which had fishing for a long time.

>play Starbound for the first time since EA
>space base is still laggy as sin
Are there mods that optimize shoddy code in this fucking game?

>rewriting a shitty game engine
That's not called a mod. It's called a different game.

They didn't invent fishing in videogames

No, but they popularized it in the context of recent releases of this genre.

y'all don't even try

if only...

You an still try to remove vsync, it helped me a little

>still no poptops
And you wonder why this thread is dying.

At least replying to your shit will keep it alive.

Is optimization coming soon?

I'm not fond of having to play so zoomed.

>starbound
>optimization
haha

you guys crack me up

stop playing on a potato, my computer is shit and I run fully zoomed out at 1080p and the only fps drops I get is when I spawn several hundred npcs and they interact with things

alt+z dawg

Added a clock tower and garden room to my glitch ship.

Now I just need to tidy up the teleporter area and then some minor detailing.

Nice ship user