RX-8 Doritos

Why does Veeky Forums hate this car so much?

I'm after a sporty daily driver and RX7s are far too rare in my area. I'm looking at a 2007 model with 37k miles on the clock.
Redpill me on the RX8.

>2007
You should be good. They are actually great cars
>inb4 memes

Looks like the manufacturer doesn't give a single fuck about quality control from that pic alone. Look at the steering wheel. It's not even on the correct side of the car.

Which years are the ones to avoid? The 2003/2004?

>Why does Veeky Forums hate this car so much?
Because they can't afford it.

avoid every year

Yeah. Usually most the issues have been solved by now though

I like 'em, a lot. Basically a dorito powered Miata with a hardtop and backseats.

random opinion that doesn't matter here------ever since i watched one of these little things rek an old chevelle in a drag race i actually started to respect them. i hate miatas, but the rx7s and 8s are okay in my books.

It isn't quite as fast as the RX7, and Veeky Forums has a hard-on for 80s wedge coupes. It's up to preference, personally with the amount of upkeep they demand I'd prefer the extra performance of the RX7 in return. To each their own.

Buy it, disable the oil injectors, and run premix at 1oz per gallon. Then it will be perfectly reliable. Your 2007 should be new enough that it won't have the spark issues, but you might want to punch out all the cats just in case.

I'm thinking that if I bought a well-taken care of RX8, and treated the dorito well it would probably give me less headaches in the long run than an 80s/90s japanese sports car that I originally planned to buy, right?
Sure, it won't be as cool looking but there's always plenty for sale near me, and I won't have to drive 150+ miles just to waste time checking out a rotten shitbox that the seller advertised as "great condition".

Punch out cats or install a testpipe depending on location.

Also remember OP, the ONLY way to make good power in an 8 is to swap it, so you better be happy with that performance out of the box.

I'm coming from a 1.4 Corolla so I think I'll be fine.

>the ONLY way to make good power in an 8 is to swap it
But that's wrong.

Veeky Forums is comprised of a relatively poor demographic of car enthusiasts. We want vehicles that are fun to drive yet good on gas and inexpensive to maintain. The RX-8 is neither.

>shut up and buy a Civic
This

>not fun to drive

Confirmed clueless.

The consensus of literally every reviewer ever is "I was disappointed that it wasn't an FD until I actually got in it and it blew me away with how fun it was."

>I speak for all of Veeky Forums
>nobody could possibly like what I dislike

heh

I mean you could technically turbocharge it, but then you're looking at a ticking timebomb since the exhaust ports are terrible at dissipating the extra heat from the turbos. I wouldn't consider it "good" but I guess you're technically correct.

>Redpill
Go back to /pol/ with this faggotry. Keep it there.

This should say "Boyfriends"

they're cheaper than decent mx5s in england m8, a good one is £1500

t. civiccuck

because they've all been thrashed by barry, lad

rx8help.com

its better if they're thrashed, its the carefully one lady owners that have never taken it past 4k you've gotta look out for

so basically nothing like a miata

>run premix at 1oz per gallon
Another option is using a Sohn OMP adapter, which basically automatically mixes two stroke oil from a dedicated reservoir. The effects of premix, without the hassle of mixing.

Go back to facebook with your faggot memes. Keep it there.

They're not bad. Think of them as a cheap to buy, expensive to maintain, slightly slower S2000, and suddenly they kinda make sense.

RX-8 and NC Miata share the same platform senpai.

Yea, this is an option.

I just kept 1oz plastic cups in the trunk with the oil and dumped one cup in each time. You can't be too sure, especially with ethanol tainted fuel.

How the fuck my rx8's got away with no gas guzzler tax when I had to pay it on my Z/28 I'll never know, since the Ls7 does several mpg better all over.

Reading comprehension: You all lack it.

>good on gas and inexpensive to maintain
>gas and inexpensive
>and

The point was it IS fun to drive but it's costly to run. Sheesh.

This was the second one I owned.

Pretty car. Tranny needed 3 rebuilds before they did it right. Still a steal at $25K brand new OTD.

that's usually based off of displacement, so ofc the z28 got hit harder.

Which makes no logical sense. That Rx8 got me 11-13 in town with a 1.3L

The 7.0L gets me 13-15 in town with a bigger engine. It's still burning less fuel overall.

It's like they gave rotaries a pass because of the confusing displacement question... is it a 1.3? a 2.6? a 3.9? Fuck it just let it go.

technically speaking, it's 2.6L with all the math done.

In many racing series they are also labeled 2.6L so they get placed in the correct class.

This will happen to YOOUUUUUUU

Well it's built on the miata platform so...

I got it from Veeky Forums

I'd buy the fuck out of that. Ditch the Renesis, swap in a 2.3 Turbo from a Speed3.

I have a 04 rx8 manual, as soon as I bought I flooded the engine by turning it on and off too quick, then again by a bad mechanic who didnt know the engine lol (he told me the thing needed replacing too).

I have replace the ignition coils, spark plugs and wires, as well as gutting out the CAT.

It runs perfect! Just have to be aware of how to take care of it and what not to do with the rotary engine.

Do drive it to redline every time you use it at least once.
Do wait for the rpms to settle below 1k before taking off.
Do replace oil religiously every 3k miles.
Do the replacements and CAT removal I have done.

Don't not do what I said lol.

forgot to say I have 93k miles on it atm.

RX-8 is pretty legit.

Handling is amazing, very close to NC Miata.
They are powerful enough unless you are addicted to acceleration.
Change the oil, check the oil level, use good quality oil, rev it up on occasion, and you'll be fine. Also don't push the engine when it is cold.

And premix. Always premix. You're burning oil anyway, may as well burn enough oil to not shred apex seals.

is the CAT a catalytic converter or are you talking about something else?

>Do wait for the rpms to settle below 1k before taking off.
Like at a full stop? What if you're downshifting at 10mph to second gear?

>all this oil related necessities
>mazda makes a short dipstick and hides it under everything hot in the engine bay

im talking about the pesky cat that rx8's are known for coming with!

jk yeah its the catalytic converter.

sorry i mean when you start your engine.

>tfw toyota doesn't come with a qt cat
>not even a bishounen dog or a rabbit

How long is factory warranty on these? I hear Mazda can rebuild your engine free if still under warranty

Not necessary.

8 years or 100k mileage!

You're gonna be disappointed then lol, it probably has the same power at city speeds

How much do RX8s cost in the USA?

Anywhere from 1500 (blown or flooded motor) - 20k (R3 with < 50k miles)

fuck off with that Aussie photo, eh?

Always remember this when considering a rotary powered vehicle.

It'll go harder than an econobox but it also drinks like a V8. Renesis a shit; not REW, doesn't like to be turboed but still needs premium. If you like how it looks and want to do a swap, do something cooler than a LSx swap; MS3 or KL swap and turbo.

Cheap to buy, but it'll cost you down the track. Not something you want if you want a cheap sports car; it's like owning a small child, only more useful. You should have a look at that RX-8 forum where they go over all the downsides. It has to be a labor of love to own one, else it'll drive you mad and into the appliance camp.

>Do replace oil religiously every 3k miles.

Nope.

Dude on Rx8club with the longest lasting engine only did filters. Just added new oil whenever it needed it. Made it over 150K on an S1 engine.

Would I do the same? Ehh... I dumped in a quart whenever the light came on and changed it every 3K.

I bought a brand new R3 in 2011 for 25K.

I sold it for 12K. Anyone paying 20K for one is a goddamned retard.

Oi, fuckin' camera mate..

Owned an '05 RX-8, it was simultaniously the most fun and the most annoying car I've owned so far.

Having to babysit how you drive the car when it's cold, run the engine harder when it's warm, keep the oil topped up, sell both of my legs to pay for the amount fuel it guzzles. Minor inconveniences for driving a car that sounded and (to me at least) looked pretty alright!

Even if it was a bit on the slow side, it had a good firm chassis, felt great around corners and had the bonus utility of (barely) having 4 seats and a hardtop - something a lot of sports cars just don't have.

It wasn't a Ferrari, but I was still devastated when it shat its seal into the manifold after chewing them up. RIP my rx8, I'll buy another one and give you the attention you deserve one day.

this pretty much sums up every rx-8 owner's experience

sounds like owning a saint bernard. yeah it's huge and eats everything and sheds everywhere and it has a loud bark but fuck if it isn't nice having a mobile fluffy pillow that loves you, protects you, and is your friend

For $4k I bought a 2004, 52K miles, engine had been though RUD from oil starvation. I spent about $300 in seals $100 in a junkyard iron, it's been a great DD for 4 years in extreme climates.

I have one user, 11/10 car if you know amd accept what you're getting yourself into I luuuv the fuck out of mine

OP here, went to see it, nice straight body, engine started fine hot and cold, guy knew his shit about rotaries.
The he took it me out for a ride in it and smashes it into the kerb at like 40mph, fucked two wheels, two tyres, probably the suspension as well. Lmao.

They are good cars, but you need to go in with your eyes open. They use oil by design, and a lot of owners weren't aware of this when they bought them so there are a few fucked ones out there.

The biggest complaint is that the fuel economy is extremely poor considering the performance on offer.

That said, they are crazy cheap now so that can be offset to a point. So long as you are aware of the gripes and issues before you go in, you should be fine.

>Rx8 got me 11-13 in town with a 1.3L
>
>The 7.0L gets me 13-15 in town
this is why i will always fucking hate rotaries

literal big block fuel usage with i4 performance

FUCK this engine and its 2stroke oil meme

literally a failed abortion engine but hay it sounds good and goes braaaaaaaaaaaap and likes boost so i dont mind watching/listening to it

>*Then he took me out for a ride in it and smashed it

Still shaking with excitement and can't type.

You're shitting, right? Jeebus no wonder the guy is trying to sell it, he can't drive worth shit. He'd be better off in a Civic.

Nope.
Car didn't have an MOT and he wasn't insured on it since he just came back from Australia and his dad has been driving it in his absence. He was willing to put a years MOT on it etc. Everything checked out, engine ran fine, he said he could just give me a short ride around his street, to which I agreed.
He then goes out onto the main road for some reason, turns around back home, revs the piss out of it on the straight and smashes into the curb.
2 flat tyres, 2 fucked alloys, probably fucked suspension too. Real shame.

And they forgot the front licence plate mount. Bunch of lazy fuckers

Shit relability and this is no joke or end user problem.
Also terrible performance when you look at how much it consumes and breaks.
Really nice interior though.

The rx7 was much better performance wise. Even 0-100 was only 5.2 seconds

That's a crying shame.

'f' for that poor SE3P.

....its not like that at all

Its like having a retarded child. Its a huge fuckin inconvenience and you spend most of your time wishing you just had a normal son and wondering why u nutted in your wife in the first place

Eventually you take your retard son round back and shoot him in the head

Just don't buy a cheap one and do your research. Performance wise they're great cars. Worth the effort if you actually take care of them.

I just don't like the suicide doors.

They should've kept the hood design.

it looks happy