The jews did this

the jews did this

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.com/sch/items/?_nkw=gulmite wrench
twitter.com/AnonBabble

isn't torx plus just for the really big ass torx bits? like T45+?

Why

I work with these often, honestly better than Phillips heads.

There are also ribe, which are almost the same as torx plus but not quite. Fuck all these different things.

they're excellent but in limited use. which is why they are such a problem.

> there are people who prefer slotted/Phillips/Robertson over Torx

each has a purpose

>shaped like a jew star

When did someone decide hex just wasn`t good enough?

No.

what the fuck are you talking about? they have the same goddamn purpose one is just better than the other.

if you're gonna spew autism like that at least try to back it up somewhat.

t.someone who works on cars for a living

stripped bolts for days.

Phillips strips/torques out if you so much as look at it the wrong way, so anything is better. There is literally no reason to use a fastener that doesn't have a hex on it. Screwdrivers a shit, ratchet and socket is the way to go.

t. the side mirrors on my car were overtightened from the factory with pic related, PB blaster didn't work, and they had to be cut out

Why would you touch your mirrors? Leave them be.

I don't recall ever stripping out a torx fastener, even with my Chinese tools.
They work OP

Flat-heads and phillips are probably cheaper to make tho

I replaced them with a set that are power folding, the originals didn't fold at all and I wanted that functionality.

Better than what the fucking germans are up to.

I've seen those in jail cells and screws that retain the mass airflow sensor in my car.

Was it a subaru wagon?

The engineering that goes into fasteners is really neat. They have their pros & cons and applications they are good for.

>I've seen those in jail cells
Found the nigger.

Thought that was a bug on my screen in the thumbnail

What about the exposed torx. Wtf is that

Flathead and a rubber band.

wait,

tamper resistant super torx?

FUCK MY LIFE

Yes, I've posted about it before

How new are you?

Sony uses those too. Not hard to get around, you can buy a screwdriver made for it on ebay or dremel out the little bump thing in the middle.

I worked at a Japanese dealer for a decent period of time.

only time I've ever needed super torx was on a side view mirror on a mid 2000's Mercedes.

My 200sx uses those to secure the airbag in the steeting wheel.

Torx plus is garbage. Always strips out.

TFW torx and the likes is all you know because you started out working for a German brand

Wtf is this piece of shit

Or Volvos. Need them to change spark plugs. Need the tamper proof for cleaning the maf but you can use pliers to undo them

oh hi there

Aren't philips screws designed to strip so you don't overtorque them?

Inverse star bit

I always just use a normal socket with these
not supposed to strip just cam out,stripping is just a byproduct

Nerds don't even know pozi vs Phillips

Ggez

external torx or inverse star. you can use spline sockets/wrenches on them, and some regular sockets will also fit. BMW is a fan of these.

Philips was designed to torque-out, and was designed to keep early automated manufacturing machines from damaging their products. Now though, using Philips when other designs exist that don't strip heads when you look at them wrong is fucking retarded.

(And by comparison, Torx is designed to cam-in, and hex is designed to do neither.)

E torx, they are fine

Does torque-out mean the bit slips out of the head?

Yes

Torx are great in aplications where you aren't actually putting much torque on the fastener. I find they strip out if you have to use more then 1 hand to move the wrench.

You think this shit is bad, Veeky Forums?

How about this fucking shit from the 70s.
You can't even fucking find the sockets for them anymore, and I had to remove about 100 of them.

Each and every single one, I had to painstakingly dremel a slot into so I could use a flathead. The ones I fucked up, I had to drill out and tap the holes for bigger screws. Fucking asshole gulmite screws.

Did you try vice-jaws to get them out?

ebay.com/sch/items/?_nkw=gulmite wrench

Yep, my BMW has them and they are made out of aluminum and are a one time use only.

Most of them were recessed into dimples too small for the vice grips, and a bunch were up against barriers that'd only let me do about 180 degree turns with vice jaws.

The asshole screw in pic related is one of the few I took out with vice jaws.

torx in general, needless, pointless useless and fucking sent straight from hell

maybe if you didnt use cheesedick tools and didnt have chicken arms you might be able to loosen screws

If snap on is cheesedick, sure. My electric impact wouldn't budge them either. Not just my car but several in the junkyard as well. They were all stucker than fucking hell.

Philips are for plebs, robertson is the best standard screw

flathead is for 'no torque', 'tighten once and never touch again' applications (ex. the faceplate on a power outlet)
philips is like said. good for no-torque/low torque, install once and remove rarely applications. but if you make a large enough high quality philips, it can be used in a no-torque, remove frequently application (dashboard panels on a kenworth truck), and the bolts are easy/cheap to replace

hex is good for higher torque, but prone to rounding out when using powertools/excessive torque.
therefore,
torx is needed for mid-high torque, remove frequently fasteners, especially if power tools will be used. also, when in trouble, you can rape a torx fastener with a hex bit for a one time unscrew solution.
torx plus/inverse torx are supposedly higher-torque, power tool specific uses. but it can also be used as an attempt to deter unqualified personnel from touching it
which brings us to tamperproof hex/torx/torx+/etc. simply a way to make things more complicated and force decent hard working mechanics to buy extra toolkits.
other high torque fasteners are the triple square, 12point, the spline, polydrive.. same idea.

theres all kinds of shit like posidrive or torq-set, which are various improvements over the philips, or the trihead, which could all be in all honesty thrown away and replaced by a proper hex fastener.

and then theres all kinds of weird obscure shit like 2 point spanners or clutch drives, usually applications where some engineer wanted everyone to know that they are different and that their farts smell like roses. proprietary designs a shit and should be forbidden by law.

robertson ftw, i completly forgot about them. the enormous advantage of the robertson screw is that it holds on the tip of the screwdriver/bit driver, so that you can screw shit in over your head and don't need to hold the screw.
also there are machine screws that have a combined robertson/philips head

>posidrive
>torq-set

Sadly they are still used in aviation and we fucking hate torq-sets with a passion. That and coin slots, fuck those things. I swear they came out straight of the devil's asshole to fuck with humanity

coin slots, a straight cut thats rounded at the bottom right? i think ive seen shit like that on racecars

Yep, and it's basically a one time use screw. Cause if you're really an asshole you'll try to reinstall an used coin slot back in only to strip it and fuck the next guy over.

honestly what is that point of those things

Shut the fuck up.

What hath God wrought?

Fuck you. I always take a rasper and turn you fucks into flatheads before I put you back in. Fuck every laptop manufacturer in existance for not using simple hexes

>not using 12-point internally+externally splined heads
It's like you guys don't even want to shear grade 14.9 bolts without ever having a chance of slipping or stripping.

Yeah, you can buy bits for it, but that's 5 point, even if you dremel out the security bit, it's still a fucking 5 point torx.

And like others have said, it protects things like the mass air flow sensor from tampering, because you don't want anybody ever changing a mass air flow sensor. Nope, no reason to ever change one of those.

Also cummins/grundfos/emtec adblue dosers

This shit here. Ive dealt with something similar on a German auto bleeding valve

Those are why changing a starter on a jeep 2.5 is a pain in the fucking ass.

For what fucking purpose?

Oh help me help me I can't afford basic tools to work on my car.

>aluminum one time use bolts
>MFW

I knew BMW were a bunch of assholes the way they designed shit, but this is just ridiculous.

Tamper proof, the only way to get them out is drill and tap

Literally everything is better than phillips.

Torx/Allen or bust.

>stripped bolts
First of all, they're screws, not bolts.
Second, get your poor ass some 12.9 grade screws.

MOTHERFUCKER

they use them in prisons and the like

When the rust welds itself solid

No, that's cam out.

>If snap on is cheesedick, sure
It is.

>We'll keep making taper proof fasteners
>And you can keep buying the tool sets at harbor freight for $5

Okay

Every plastic part on car ever
>hur lets make shit out of cheap plastic so it would be cheap
>can't remove without damaging somehow
>make them expensive
>????
>profit

car engineers who use plastic clips to secure most parts in car gonna have special place in hell.

>he doesn't have a 3d printer
they are less than $200 now. no excuse.

I 3d printed all the NLA trim tabs on my vintage car. literally saved like $600.

Go fuck yourself

You're probably using the wrong tool you fucking idiot

ITT: Fucking idiots with no tools who don't understand why certain fasteners are used in certain applications. Therefore, all they can do is get mad and call any fastener that isn't a phillips head a piece of shit.

Are you talking about torx in general or the fact that there's a torx plus so you need to sets of bits? Because if it's the former, I'm afraid you're a faggot. Torx is the superior screw head design.

>Muh weightreduction

Pretty sure OP is talking about the torx plus.

Oh fuck off. You have no idea why they use aluminum.

Then please, pray tell. What do they use aluminum bolts for?

Where do you find files for this? I'm not familiar with 3d printers.

How the fuck should I know? I don't know what parts are held together by the fucking bolts, the location of the bolts, the size of the bolts, the quantity of bolts, the torque applied on the bolts, etc, etc, etc.

Do you see what the fuck I'm getting at?

That's not how t. Works