GTI Thread

Just picked up a used 2016 GTI with performance package last week.

So glad I did research before buying its practical suiting all my needs and it is an absolute thrill to drive compared to all the hondas I used to buy.

Took a couple days to learn manual with it but i doubt I will ever go back.

gud car, arguably not as fun as a focus ST though

slap a tune on that bitch asap, they were undertuned from the factory and just some software will probably get you like 50 horsepower at the wheels

>2016
>used

The original owner realized it was a shit over engineered slow piece of shit

why are they intentionally undertuned?

I was recently looking at a Focus ST and GTI on the same lot. Both 2016's with 8k miles or so within 500$ of each other. Ended up loving the ST just a little more. I liked how refined the GTI felt in comparison but at the same time, I liked how unrefined the ST felt.

Either way, good choice OP. Do what said though and get a tune.

Nice job op
Took this pic of this r32 today while in my golf 2.0

It was allegedly a company car for a VW inspector at the Chattanooga plant. Would have gotten something older but I could not find anything 2010-2015 year range with a stick.

Wtf? How close were you looking? Atlanta, Knoxville, Nashville, are all easily drivable to find a car.

i dunno, gas mileage? reliability? doesn't really matter just tune it

Nice find. Just don't skip on maintenance. My 2010 has been treating me well.

Nice OP!
Just went to Watkins Glen with mine

What tires did you run there? Looks awesome. Really want to track my car someday but the closest track is a few hours away.

In this picture I had Continental DWs, which was the right move because they stick in the wet. I tried to get out on the track with my Kumho Escta v710s later while it was wet and almost died. They came in handy the next day when it was dry though.

I drove 5 hours each way to go to Watkins Glen... your move user...

Sorry Cleetus, but I didn't want to buy a new car off a redneck farmboi

Should have gotten a Speed3

There is a smaller track within 2-3 hours north, otherwise maybe 5 hours or so, which is doable. Next year I'll try to get a set of wheels and tires for the track and get out there.

Driving any track for the first time will be a blast.
As long as your tires are in reasonable condition and you haven't modified to get more power, you'll be fine with what you have.
I recommend putting some performance brake fluid in before you go, otherwise your brakes will probably start to fade at the end of each session.

sounds fun the only track close to me is charlotte motor speedway and a couple dirt tracks. I just want to take it to the mountains and tear shit up. Just need a little more work on steep hill starts. still stalling 20% of the time.

>bought literally one of the only cars worth buying with a dual clutch
>with a manual

wat. The VW dual clutch is one of the only decent dual clutch trans on the market. dem hellaquickshifts and dsg fahrts.

I didn't go for the dsg because i knew i would get bored of it. Test drove a couple and it was cool but not nearly as engaging as manual.

Are you OP?
My 2012 GTI has a feature that it automatically applies the brakes when I'm about to start moving in first. So the car is automatically stopped on a hill while you transition your right foot from gas to brake.
So I assume all later year GTIs have this too.
Pay attention to this assist next time you're hill starting and it may be easier.

Yes,
I can say i rarely roll back unless its a very steep hill, and only when i start to hit the gas in first. My problem is i start to hit the gas and get a little too excited and pull off the clutch too fast before im actually in motion. There is a 20-25 degree hill at a school on my road i hit to practice every time i go out and come back.

I pull off the clutch too fast when shifting sometimes too but its all about identifying bad habits and actively trying to fix them.

You can enable/disable hill hold with a vagcom on mk6+. I believe it even has different modes (low vs high revs). Some quick googling brings up a bunch of threads.

I will check it out. I would rather learn the hard way so I can actually appreciate the features.

You can always just use the handbrake. Otherwise it's just learning when the clutch catches and balancing the gas. My home town is on a big hill so you either learned hill starts, or drove an auto.

I learned that first as a backup. But im not very graceful about doing it.

Nice choice op, they run so fucking fun.

>tfw in europe
>young
>wanted to buy the scirocco with the 200hp gti engine
>3k insurance per year and barely unaffordable road taxes for a young kid.
>Get the 125hp 1.4 tsi

hey at least I look fucking dope and got the tuner machine I always dreamed about.