/dqg/ Dragon Quest General

A place to talk about new and old Dragon Quest games

UPCOMING GAMES
Dragon Quest VII: Fragments of the Forgotten Past - 3DS - September 16, 2016
Dragon Quest Builders - PS4, Vita - October 11, 2016
Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King - 3DS - TBA 2017

>What game should i start with?
3, 5 or 8
>What are the best versions of each game?
I - SNES with fan translation
II - SNES with fan translation
III - SNES with fan translation or GBC (SNES is better overall, GBC has a couple more extras.)
IV - DS or Mobile (Mobile version has Party Chat restored, is otherwise identical to DS version.)
V - DS or PS2 with fan translation (DS has an additional waifu to marry, PS2 has better graphics.)
VI - DS
VII - PS1 (3DS version coming September 16th 2016)
VIII - PS2 (Mobile version is gutted, 3DS version is coming sometime in 2017)
IX - DS (Needs to be hacked to get locked content)
X - On pretty much everything (no plans yet for a western release)
XI - PS4, 3DS and NX (coming sometime in 2017, no plans for western release yet)

For 4, 5, and 6, does the Mobile versions have less compressed audio? I have a hard time with the DS versions because the music sounds crunchy or something.

not 100% sure but i think the mobile versions are MORE compressed.

Dead thread in 10...9...8...

Is there an edited DQ9 rom with all the DLC?

A DQ General? Have my dreams finally come true?

Lads are there any chances that they put the DS dragon quest into the eshop? getting them looks quite difficult and expensive, and I wouldn't like to play them with the phone.

Use DQ9 save editor, you can unlock everything in that thing

Emulate

well yes, that's also an option, I don't know why I didn't think of it, it has been so long since I emulate or pirate stuff

jesus christ

it's final fantasy 1&2 mobile all over again

for 4 and 5, I stuck with NES and PS2, but with 6, I don't think the SNES version was ever completed in english without bugs.

guess i'll have to deal with the crunchiness for 6.

weren't 5 & 6 recently reprinted for the SE store?

no idea m8

5 was
6 wasn't because iirc nintento handled distribution of 6, similar to 9.

dont die

You can get DQV and VI new. Dragon Quest V can be bought on SE main site and Dragon Quest VI on Nintendo's main site.

Dragon Quest IV is still selling used for under $40 and new if you're lucky and find a store that has it. Some still do.

>Dragon Quest VI on Nintendo's main site.
huh

I'm playing VII on the 3ds, where do I go after my dad leaves?

Well, it USED to be there along with a DQ theme. That sucks. Still, I've seen that one in plenty of stores as well.

I don't have any stores nearby because I'm in the middle of nowhere, and the cheapest new I'm seeing online is around $60+ USD.

dang

To the castle, like the guard in the cutscene told you to.

>after my dad leaves
I'm sorry. Have you tried contacting your other relatives?

wait I already went to the castle and talked to the King, do I go home and sleep now?

The NPCs always tell you what to do. Try going home and talking to your mom or talking to Keifer. One of them will remind you what you need to do next. If Keifer isn't around, you probably need to go to the Shrine in the east.

rip

Whats your favorite Dragon Quest?
Favorite love interest?
favorite spinoff?
favorite monster?

>Whats your favorite Dragon Quest?
VIII

>Favorite love interest?
Medea

>favorite spinoff?
Monsters

>favorite monster?
Great Dragon

>Whats your favorite Dragon Quest?
7, and I'm so-So-SO fucking pumped for the release tomorrow.

>Favorite love interest?

ALENA IS MY LOVE INTEREST

>favorite spinoff?

The original Monsters. Beats Pokemon any day and that shit they call Joker

>favorite monster?

Coatol

I'm about to start DQ3, and I know there's class changing later on or something, so I figured I'd ask, but does this seem like an alright party set up without a lot of changing/grinding?

Something like:
Thief --> Fighter
Mage --> Thief
Pilgrim --> Sage

Or do I even need to worry about class switching or anything?

North of the Dharma Temple is a tower with metal slimes in it. I was able to change a character to level 1 thief and get all the thief skills in 1 hour of leveling (about level 16). Then did the same for Merchant. So don't worry much about grinding since its quick in DQIII.

My final roster was Hero, Fighter, Sage, Sage. One Sage started out as a Fool/Gadabout.

Does my party setup seem okay? I know that you can beat the game technically with probably any party, but in general I tried to think about it pretty balanced.

>VII 3ds graphics

This sucks

Your party will work fine. The early game is pretty easy so using any class, even a gadabout, is doable. I wouldn't change the Mage to a thief at the end game though. Make her a Sage.

You really only need to go down the thief path to learn the thief skills. Then when you change class, you retain the thief skills but can make them whatever. That's why I made one character go through thief and merchant skills, then turned them into a fighter. Thief and merchant skills require no MP. And Fighter gets no MP. So end game, you basically have a pure physical attacker who also happens to have all the thief and merchant skills.

Four Jesters.

>I wouldn't change the Mage to a thief at the end game though. Make her a Sage.
I'm not really interested in having more than one sage in the long run, though. I'm not big on magic casters in games. I also really, really dislike grinding and will avoid it where I can without intentionally turning my run into a challenge run or something. Would something like merchant to warrior be better?

That way I'd have a figher with thief stuff, a warrior with merchant stuff, and a magic -> magic upgrade.

Sage is just overpowered because it basically learns all Mage and Priest skills in one character. So having two Sages is actually the best strategy. Because while one character uses offensive magic, the other can heal. And then you can switch that around in the middle of battle, since they both do the same jobs.

If you don't want to go two sages, its totally fine. I'm just telling you that it actually is the least grindy way to play.

Also, Sage doesn't require a certain level to reach. You make a character a sage by just having them hold the sage book and talk to the Dharma Temple job changer. The only exception to this is Gadabout/Fool/Jester, who can automatically become Sage at level 20.

>Would something like merchant to warrior be better?
That would work fine. Anything works pretty much. Its just about how easy you want the end game to be. I suggest getting all the merchant skills at least because late game, you want nose for treasure in every dungeon. But definitely change the merchant to another class as soon as you get to Dharma.

I know Sages are OP, but I'm weird about magic. Call it an OCD thing.

Basically, I'm not trying to make the game super duper easy but not super duper hard either. One post I saw elsewhere even said for fighters you don't even need to change if you just want to do like 2 fighters and a Pilgrim to Sage for healing or something.

I don't know. I'll just roll whatever and see what happens.

If you want moderate difficulty and still a balanced team, just make the canon team. Hero, Fighter, Warrior, Priest. If it gets too tough, turn the Priest into Sage.

I think that was the team I had when I played the gameboy game years ago and didn't know about class changing. So I take it class changing is just a neat thing if you want to min/max, then? Maybe for the bonus GBC dungeon which isn't in the SNES version I'm playing IIRC?

Class changing is basically just to get skills. If you want one character to have the skills of other classes (a fighter who has all the merchant skills like you said above). It also improves your stats, but marginally. If you level someone up to level 30 Mage, then switch them to a Sage, they will technically have higher Magic and MP stats. But since their stats are halved during the change, that 80 or whatever stat they had in magic gets reduced to 40. So your Sage will have their base magic stat + 40. So lots of grinding can make this abusable. But you don't want to grind, right? And you can still do just fine with the base classes.

Oh, I know about the ability transfers, but other websites were making it sound like something you just do in the game. Like it's just a thing you do. You don't normally skip it or something. The way you made it sound makes it seem like it's just for people really care about making an uber party or soemthing.

Some people beat the game with a crew of just Jesters. Some people have beaten the game with just the Hero and no party members. So yeah, class changing can be totally optional.

Well, what I'm saying is I'm sure you can beat the game with any party, but for a general playthrough, without intentionally making things harder or choosing dumb classes or whatever, it doesn't sound like it's really needed at all. I'm not talking about what is viable because people do white mage parties in final fantasy 1 for the challenge when that's not really a normal game layout. I just mean for an alright game, it doesn't sound like changing is as needed as I thought it was.

Sorry, I'm very obsessive in class/job based games about what I choose.

IT'S OUT

is dq7 for the 3ds a good port?

Its a full remake. And a major improvement so far as I've played (10 hours in).

Apparently fucking Wal-mart does not release games on their fucking release date? Fucking Tuesday? What the fuck is this?

That sucks. But not entirely unheard of for anything that isn't a big release. I'll be surprised if my Gamestop pre order is on time.

The ones I went to did. Guess yours just sucks.

Is DS region locked? Want to buy physical copies.

I forgot how long it takes to get to the Dharma Shrine in DQ7. Despite that, it's pretty good. At the Deja tribe now.

There's no way to sort the inventory in DQ7 3DS right?

And what happens to the items when party members temporarily leave? Does it all disappear or go into your Bag?

>There's no way to sort the inventory in DQ7 3DS right?
There's an auto sort feature. Or you can give it to a person, then put it back in the bag. But I agree that they should have added a manual organize feature.

>And what happens to the items when party members temporarily leave? Does it all disappear or go into your Bag?
All the stuff goes in the bag. Gets kind of annoying because it happens every time Keifer or Maribel leave the party. And I keep having to manually give them more herbs.

DS, no. 3DS, yes.

forgot to quote

>thread dead
is everyone playing the new release?

I'm surprised this thread is still going on.

>game has AA

This is fucking weird to have in a 3DS game.
Shame I can't play much till I get off of work.

Gonna buy VII today is it worth?

Yes but you better hurry

Dragon Quest 7 3ds sort of killed the atmosphere of the beginning. I hope they left the rest of the game mostly the same. Atmosphere was the reason this was my favorite game.