/agdg/ - Amateur Game Dev General

Play games, make games.

> Latest Demo Day (X)
itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-10

>Next Game Jam (Lewd -- Blueboard rules still apply)
itch.io/jam/lewd-jam-2016

>Lewd Jam Collabs
docs.google.com/document/d/1K9wlzcJntyOCV3KLvRcvllZ2ZUnGgrDtiwPdMLlw5XQ/edit?usp=sharing
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Sm0Pxz0uq-62L46TdXmKisynbhLI_by-pLNlcgo4B8M/edit?usp=sharing

> Helpful links
New Threads: Archive: boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/agdg/
AGDG Logo: pastebin.com/iafqz627

> Previous Demo Days
pastebin.com/X6fLvtzA

> Previous Jams
pastebin.com/qRHNpCbZ

> AGDG Chats
steamcommunity.com/groups/vgamedevcrew
webchat.freenode.net/?channels=vidyadev

> Engines
GameMaker: yoyogames.com/gamemaker
Godot: godotengine.org/
Haxe: haxeflixel.com/
LÖVE: love2d.org/
UE4: unrealengine.com/what-is-unreal-engine-4
Unity: unity3d.com/

> Models/art/textures/sprites
opengameart.org/
blender-models.com/
mayang.com/textures/

> Free audio
freesound.org/browse/
incompetech.com/music/
freemusicarchive.org/

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=XNRQoPjPtHc
youtube.com/watch?v=JwhjqdSPw5g
youtube.com/watch?v=CYNBOAoXReQ
youtube.com/watch?v=IaBeViK2rIU
youtube.com/watch?v=PDN36LIzjIk
youtube.com/watch?v=P9dHE5QUJ3k&list=RDP9dHE5QUJ3k
youtube.com/watch?v=SsTvtMpObv4
youtube.com/watch?v=5t_RcCOvhF0
youtube.com/watch?v=ts3YWVFUnvU
gamedevwithoutacause.com/?p=266
youtube.com/watch?v=SVm7CD31EqY
youtube.com/watch?v=LPeROTC2zhc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

anime

When's next demo day

Every 2 months.

idea guy here,
a progress system that scrapes the thread and categorizes based on trip, so you post your progress with a trip. This trip could be tied to jam/event pages to demonstrate devs who are proud to be part of this community, vs devs who are just parasites.

Why

gf posts are the best

me and my game went to the park to catch some pokemon :) we had a lot of fun!

POST PROGRAMMING MUSIC

youtube.com/watch?v=XNRQoPjPtHc

youtube.com/watch?v=JwhjqdSPw5g

youtube.com/watch?v=CYNBOAoXReQ

youtube.com/watch?v=IaBeViK2rIU

youtube.com/watch?v=PDN36LIzjIk

Here's what I use right now.

youtube.com/watch?v=P9dHE5QUJ3k&list=RDP9dHE5QUJ3k

I can now center labels and buttons, regardless of language.

So I'm researching various "enemy name/hp" bars in various games, because I want to implement the same thing in my game.

So far I got this:
Diablo 2 - shows the name of the monster, shows the unique perks of the monster. The bar is shown when player moves mouse cursor over the monster.

Castlevania: Aria Of Sorrow (though every new school castlevania too):
Shows only enemy name. The bar is shown when player character attacks the monster (some games requiers a special upgrade to show enemy names)

Dark Souls:
Shows the enemy HP, also show the amount of damage player character dealt. Shows on enemy when he recieves damage (even if it wasn't damage from player character). There can be a multiple bars in this games (while in other two you can see only one enemy hp bar at the time)

Do you know any other interesting systems to show enemy name (for lore purposes), his stats (briefly), etc.?

youtube.com/watch?v=SsTvtMpObv4

progress, boys :)

plan for this weekend:
>ability to save custom cards both instantly to a chosen deck and as a stand-alone file other players can import into their own decks without a problem

Lots of Kirby games show the health bar and name of the enemy last attacked (or the current boss).

hello im a newfag but i saw this meme in the last thread so i must reply to fit in

>source

This is horrible!

>posting individual songs
Yes when I'm programming, there's nothing I love more than being interrupted to find the next thing to listen to.

Reminder: if you must "post dev music", post playlists or full albums.

How the hell does the sourceposter keep going for hours and hours on end?

youtube.com/watch?v=5t_RcCOvhF0

never post again, please

Floor tiles are hard! Any suggestions for improvement?

youtube.com/watch?v=ts3YWVFUnvU

Nothing like coding stoned.
Maintaining code is like archeology. Except even less fun

progress :)

>people responing to shitposter and ignoring devs
give feedback right now

Looks ok, try to complete the wood lines with a less brighter color, so it will look like a real wooden floor

Hahahahahahahahahaha!

This is shit, man.

>he didnt even make his own textures
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Is there a particular reason you're only using 2 colors for the floor when you already have 3 colors for the wall?

>Not taking the songs and adding them to your personal dev playlist
>Not having a playlist specifically for when you have no idea of what you are doing when you need to implement something new

How would you go about doing quarter circle / half circle / etc. input in Gamemaker?

why is this allowed

I've been trying to stay on palette as much as possible! I think there's a way to do it without going off palette, I just need to figure it out!
It would make the floor stand out too much. Since most of the furniture in the house is going to be drawn with the exact same colors I want to get the floor as subdued as possible

On a joystick or dpad? Generally you'd want to buffer the last few inputs and read for patterns.

an """""artist""""" actually thought this would interest a programmer Hahahahahahaha

this is trash str8 trash

>daily reminder to report both the source shitposter and people responding

Ah, okay. Makes sense. I found an example here.
gamedevwithoutacause.com/?p=266

and should collab

Dank meme. Made me think of Hell's Kitchen though.

So far I'm going for Diablo route - monster name+hp bar, which is showed when player character attacks the monster.
The only advanced thing is that hp bar's color is dependent on what enemy type is - for example, demon enemy has a violet hp bar (the bar will be gray if player character can't identify monster type)

>I've been trying to stay on palette as much as possible! I think there's a way to do it without going off palette, I just need to figure it out!
Maybe try dotted/dithered lines? They should appear less saturated but player will still see the whole floor lines.

Ok, maybe you guys are right
how does this look? Better?

I liked it more when it was a headless blue dude in a psychedelic forest

Way better. And you haven't changed the pallet color number - you already used three shades of brown, so it's all good.

>tfw have way more fun programming systems and making things work behind the scenes than the front end gameplay / UI stuff

feels bad man

this is supposed to be ET
best game coming through

how do I make something that can become viral?

Ask Toby Fox.

spooky game
would no play
reminds me of painkiller overdose tho.
oldest game in the world + online walking simulator = MMO TEXT RPG
my fucking god i would actually play this.

ok, so that or this with no room-wide planks? It's a little busier here, but makes more sense. I'm not sure if I like the way it looks better, though.

I think home4 looks better

>crow demon

How much would it cost me to get the rights to use the engine that Bungie/343i used? Unreal has weird physics and collision detection and controls, overall it's not as tight as Halo. And I want to make a Halo clone. In particular I want the ability to create overly massive skyboxes/backgrounds and from what I've seen, Unreal looks way too close/claustrophobic, haven't seen an Unreal game have the same draw distance as Halo or Destiny. Not by a longshot. Unreal's global fog volume starts way too close to the player, needs to be pushed back like 50 miles.

modeler here, looking for programmers

They probably dont sell it, just go with unreal

N-nani?

jesus christ

"Angry Boats"

Watch This Space

Bungie wont sell it to you unless you have a couple of million bucks lying around.

And your problems can both be worked around. You don't actually need draw distance for large environments, just a good skybox. There's nothing that says using the Bungie engine would automatically make everything work the way you want it to. There is going to be fiddling to get everything to feel just the way you want it with any engine.

fucking rekt

How much you payin bun

Thread barely started and 90% of it is source and memes.
Really?

neets have a lot of time and also stamina from all the energy drinks they consume.

what language/engine are you willing to work with

here's some pixel art
we need to create a game

Its the cool thing to do after school is out

>guys I can't make progress if the thread is shit
Go work on your game you tittybaby

sourcefam literally needs to be murdered. it's for the good of the thread. the nodevs have to die.

When bullets penetrate metal, does the hole glow hot for a bit? I'm sure I've seen that somewhere.

Should I do it anyway even if it isn't realistic?

Short answer
No.

Long answer

not from what I see

youtube.com/watch?v=SVm7CD31EqY

youtube.com/watch?v=LPeROTC2zhc

Yes. That's exactly how bullets work. Anyone who disagrees is a nodev and needs to get out.

Only if the bullet is very, very hot.

Not trying to be mean, but would you honestly want to play your own game?

This reminds me of Soul Reaver which is a game from like 2000, the bars look especially bad. Why do they look as if you drew them in MS Paint and then scaled them.

That's actually pretty good

>tfw you created dozens of Counterstrike zombie mod maps when you where younger.
>I had more fun making shitty maps back then than I have now with all my knowledge on gamedesign and programming.

Where is your game, literally insane shitposter?

Reminder: NO ONE wants your horrible Full Sail Shitposter """"advice"""", shitfam.

>couldn't make a garrys mod """game"""
>couldn't make a decent thread in /ic/
>couldn't make /agdg/ rally with his crusade
>thinks he knows how high powered rifles work
Lol. Just fucking Lol. Keep on drunk dancing, monk monk. You fucking alcoholic. Hahahahahahaha. :)

Any user knows where I can find a tutorial for a Type 7 looking camera angle for Game Maker? I really need something like that, 2D or not.

Congratulations man, you finally broke my will. Its no longer worth it to go through the captcha to report your posts, since they never get deleted, and you always come back.

You win.

lol

This is fucking horrible. Never post again, please.

Remember when we had meme games instead of forced memes?

wow never post again tnx

no, this is my first time here

Only if you are using tracer/incendiary rounds.

If you think it looks cool do it.

>but would you honestly want to play your own game?
Yes
>This reminds me of Soul Reaver which is a game from like 2000
Half of the population of these threads are making games that look like a game from like 1985, I don't see nothing bad in this
>Why do they look as if you drew them in MS Paint and then scaled them
I actually scale a lot of ui elements (these are placeholder bars for enemy hp, I'm designing the mechanics first) because it's faster and looks kinda neat. Here's the screenshot of my weapon stats ui, if it looks horrible for you, then bad news (for me I guess) - I doubt I can do better (and it's not that I don't like the current look though)

made a simple water mechanics.

got make better effects, but you stop breathing when you enter water, and if your oxigen goes to zero you start to lose health

also water completly stop fires on the player.

This general is fucking horrible

My guess it google "mode 7 game maker"

You're hired.

This general is pretty good

That's what I'm talking about. The fog is right up there in your face. Needs to be pushed back 20 or 30 miles at least. Everything just disappears only like 5-10 miles out. You can't see shit. What's the point of zooming out when everything gets covered by fog anyway. The atmosphere isn't supposed to be that thick.

Halo 3 was able to move the camera out into the background at slightly slower speed but it took the devs like 10 minutes to reach the end of the skybox in the Halo 3 Trailer map.

For some reason I've been calling it "Type 7" these last few hours, no wonder I didn't find it, I'm retarded, thanks user!

Oxygen at 0 would make for a very dead man.
Have him lose consciousness at 60% to make it realistic

Right now it's not even as good as it normally is, give it a few hours for the shitposters to get bored