What year did automatics stop being shit?

What year did automatics stop being shit?

The year automated manuals were marketed as "automatic"
>b-b-but mah semantics

they never sucked

stock valvebodies and untuned electronically controlled autos do however

>VW launched the 7 speed transverse DSG
>Audi/Porsche launched the longitudinal PDK/DSG
>ZF launched the 8HP
>Ferrari got ready to ditch the F1
In summary, DCT's became widely adopted, TC automatics got more speeds and driver control with the industry-wide release of the ZF 8HP, and single clutch electrohydraulic sequentials were largely ditched.

>they never sucked
>stock valvebodies and untuned electronically controlled autos do however
Torque converters have always been garbage.

Whatever year they stopped using slushbowls. As soon as they came with clutches, and or CVT trans.

When they became electronically controlled. Any other answer is wrong.

since dual clutches

When DSG could make shifts faster than a half second.

>Torque converters have always been garbage.
You guys have clearly never driven a modern TC automatic.

No, the first years of electronically controlled gearboxes (like early tiptronic) were shit.

Which is approximately all of DSG's lifetime.

No, they weren't. INVECS-II works great.

Also electronic control really has nothing to do with that.

people pretend standards are good because it makes them feel important like they have an important job to do

In 1985

The automatic in the tt mk4 supra was actually good lol.

>twin turbo car
>automatic

I don't understand this, you don't buy a performance car like this for city driving (the main reason you would get an automatic) you buy it for the track or tearing up the twisties. How would the automatic even hold a candle to the manual? What makes it "actually good"????

Supras have always been comfy GT's and traditionally offered with automatics.

Highway blasting is what they do best, not necessarily ripping twisty's.

whats up with autos getting away from column shift? it bugs the shit out of me when an auto is pretending to be a manual with a floor shifter.

which ones are modern? how do i know?

You know because it's electronically controlled.

Column shift is the worst. It's just an Veeky Forums meme, the real world has decided they're trash.

Some did, Some autos never sucked. Drag racing produces more consistent E/Ts with an auto. Autos also don't disconnect power from the wheels between gears. In an automatic the threat of missing a shift is gone. Reliability? Ever hear of the 2 speed powerglide or the ford C6?

the automatics found in 3rd gen camrys are pretty reliable. I still see third gen camrys on the road, even in nice neighboorhoods (driven by old people of course)

>Torque converters have always been garbage.
Stally's are based

Get good

the 3 vehicles i have are all column and i cant stand the rav 4 beng in the floor

never

It's an Veeky Forums meme.

Thats because Supras are pigfat.