Faded Trim Pieces

Hey Veeky Forums, thought I'd ask here regarding restoring faded trim pieces (especially plastic and vinyl). What do you use to restore them? I've heard everything ranging from $15 per bottle restorers, to baby oil and even WD-40. Which one should I use and why? How long does it tend to last? Thanks in advance.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=R9tDq1oRy9U
youtu.be/7AI5xG7CBQQ
twitter.com/AnonBabble

None last. The plastic fades due to solar damage and flame retardants. If you want unfaded trim, buy new and apply a UV protectant.

I guy in my class treated his bumpers with a heating gun, they looked pretty neat and afaik the effect doesn't fade like the stuff from bottles

This also makes the trim pieces more brittle.

linseed oil

Heat gun.

Only more permanent method I know after trying everything else in the book and spending money on those glorified car products that claim miracles.

youtube.com/watch?v=R9tDq1oRy9U

No it does not. It only get's brittle if you apple to much heat, which in turn ruins the plastic all together. But how would you know that...

303 AEROSPACE

You won't regerts

youtu.be/7AI5xG7CBQQ

>WD-40
You know how your bumpers suddenly look better when they're wet? Thats what WD40 does.
But its a temporary solution that will only last a day or two.

>linseed oil
This works the same way WD40 does.

Except when linseed oil dies it forms a lacquer/varnish that lasts for months or years.

Also, if you mix the linseed oil with paint thinner and it will dry a lot quicker.

Can confirm, heat gun is best solution.

Source: ran my trims first time in 20 years, still look like new a year later.

seems promising, wonder if it's decent for the exterior, i know with oil based products it attracts road debris like no tomorrow. wonder if it lasts too.

Why can't you remove trime paint and coat it?

I would know it because I tried the heat gun method. It works by melting the outer surface of the plastic, restoring the color, but when it reforms it is more brittle.

I used that "back to black" stuff and it made it look a lot better but still not as good as I would like. Next step is gonna be either repaint the trim pieces or buy new ones since they're not very much.

I used autogleam on my volvo's bumpers and it works the best out of the store products I've used. It eventually comes off but it lasts much longer then most products. I just through some on when I give the car a clean.

Have you tried using Meguiar's Ultimate Black Plastic Restorer yet?

Instantly became my favorite detailing product and works amazing, trust me. I used this on my AE86 and it gave my car a brand new look. I can post up pictures later on tonight for you guys to see the results.

Just tape it off and spay paint em flat black.

Cheaper, easy to touch up and will outlast other shit

I have, seems to make it nice and shiny bit barely lasts 3 days. Maybe I'm just not using enough? Could be the pieces are just old as fuck though
Was thinking of this as well. But I've seen how bad a spray can job can be if the area is large enough. I do have some cans of plastidip though, but haven't tried it yet. Thoughts?

I put one layer of owatrol polytrol on some faded trim last summer. Went from light gray to black, and then to dark gray after a month. Still medium gray if I remember correctly, more layers could work better.

Tire wet, you probably already have some.

It's temporary though.