Why do cars keep getting bigger and uglier?

Why do cars keep getting bigger and uglier?

Is it the safety requirements?

Similar comparison can be done between the 2001 WRX STI and the 2016 WRX STI.

The bigga' the betta'!

americans got fat

>Is it the safety requirements?
Yes, that is the reason.

>americans got fat
Brits have an average BMI of 25. Barf

I think Honda has lost sight with the current Type-R.

The original Civic Type-R was awesome because it was a super lightweight car making ~185HP with a NA 1.6 litre. The current Type-R is all porked out and turbocharged trying to compete with the STI and Golf R (yet still FWD).

Keep the weight low, the power moderate, and the reliability high.

you agree? FWD is always bad?

They both look terrible but its good that econoboxes are getting bigger and safer

I don't think it's always bad, but it's definitely inferior to RWD or AWD once you reach a certain performance level.

The "hot hatch" arms race has been heating up lately with newer cars getting faster and faster (except the STI lel). I think the Civic Type-R worked well as a FWD car in its original "high power to weight ratio" form, but if Honda just wants to make it as powerful as possible they should probably change the layout.

Tell me what's so bad about size. Modern cars are faster, more efficient, safer, more comfortable, and many times just as expensive (factoring in inflation) as a car just one generation older. If it's bigger, and roomier with more cargo space, doesn't that make it more convenient?

>benchracing: the post

why the hell do you think? modern cars are made for women to go put their kids in school and then go shopping

The STI isnt a hatch, you dumbfuckw

Blame government regulations, pray Trump wins the elections in Novembere so we can have fun things again.

CAFE regulations

>pray Trump wins the elections in Novembere so we can have fun things again.
I'm voting Trump, but there's pretty much no chance his being elected will lead to lower crash safety standards.

>Is it the safety requirements?
Somewhat, but look at what Mazda has done with keeping the Miata small and light. I think a lot of it is lower demand for small cars.

In mant instances the car isn't bigger on the inside. The crumple zones (and other stuff) that come with safety regulations take up the space, so you end up with a heavy, fat car with the same or smaller cargo space compared to previous generations

It was until 2015

Cars are fucking stupid
people are too used to garbage
>lights that turn on when theres a problem
how about fucking gauges so i myself can see whats happening with the car
how about you retarded car companies stop building under engineered over amenitied crap

>drives a 5th gen prelude
>thinks he can comment

History repeats itself. Especially American cars got huge around the 70's. We're approaching a similar trend. Next we'll get over the ridiculous hypercars and spacericer styles on commuters and approach simplicity akin to 80's car. After that another golden age of cars like the 90's were.

Is there something wrong with Preludes?