1997 Ford F150 Mods

I'm looking to do some modifications to my Ford f150 from 1997. It's my first vehicle and what I'm really looking to do is improve the gas milage. I was thinking an improved air intake, any suggestions?

if its the v8 dual exhaust helps a bunch
then its tires.
NOT AN INTAKE

Is it the V6 or the V8?

If it's a V6, see if you can track down maintenance history. If you can't, then start replacing all the gaskets you feel comfortable with. The original gaskets on that engine for that year are trash and need to be replaced, or else you'll destroy the engine. Most notably, the intake manifold gasket likes to go out and leak coolant into the cylinders.

After you get those fixed, the engine's pretty rock solid.

The truck was only driven until 2001 where it then say unused in a parking lot for 15 years.

Doesn't matter. The gaskets are still going to be the bad ones. At the very least, replace the intake manifold gasket. That's the one most susceptible to blowing.

I'll be home in 20 minutes and then I can inspect it.

what engine? the 5.4?

I'm not sure. I'm sorry. I'll be home soon to inspect.

Check the coolant and look under the oil cap for any signs of moisture. I'd also pull all the spark plugs and check to see if they're burning coolant.

I'd replace it anyways as a precautionary measure. I get that it hasn't been driven much, and for right now the gasket might be fine, but this is some preventative maintenance that's gotta get done. Sacrifice a weekend or Be prepared to start shopping for your second vehicle.

A turbo lot adds power and improved mpg I'm some cases

Lose the ladder rack and mud tires for some more highway friendly tires. Like others have said get it up to date on maintenance. Tonneau covers will help with mileage. Best mileage gains on a truck are going to be a rear gear change.

the 5.4 cannot get good mpg its a lost cause, so it kinda matters

4.6l engine

Pickup trucks are designed to get better mileage with the gate up and bed uncovered

F-150s from that generation have four catalytic converters (two on each side, one upstream, one downstream).

Cut off the rear cats and you will gain 1 MPG. That's what they did in the 2004 - 2008 model year.

I was just going off my personal experience.

pretty much. and go dual exhaust

you don't think it maybe had more to do with the fact that it was an entirely new truck with a different engine and transmission? you think the extra pair of cats have more to do with it?

I think you're thinking of GM vehicles mate.

The 4.6 Triton is famous for faulty exhaust manifold gaskets, not intake.

I'm talking about the 4.2l, not the 4.6

the recipe for every vehicle is EX,IN,IG

exhaust first, the factory exhaust is cheap and meant only to not rust away while meeting nvh requirements. Don't go dual unless you are going to shill out for true duals with an h-pipe (not sure if the crossmember even has a cutout for the driver side). A cheesy y-pipe dual exhaust is what most people put on and it's useless and makes less power due to bad scavenging. A single 3" from a local muffler shop or a kit from summit is the best cheap option
Intake, I would just mod the facrory housing by removing all intake silencers, if you get an aftermarket intake, go with Volant or another brand with an enclosed airbox

Ignition, replace the coil packs and wires if it's not coil on plug. go 1 step colder on the plugs if you don't do frequent short trips.

this will bring you extra ponies and mpg's (if you can stay off the loud pedal)