Hey Veeky Forums I read the sticky I'm a poorfag and can only have enough to speed around 3k for my first vehicle I'd...

Hey Veeky Forums I read the sticky I'm a poorfag and can only have enough to speed around 3k for my first vehicle I'd rather it be something I can have for years and not a shitty beater can anyone make some recommendations on what they looked for in a first car?
I'm leaning towards a ford ranger because of practicality but a sedan isn't out of the question, really anything I'm willing to wrench on it but not make being in the garage a priority.

stay away from the 4.0 sohc, it's a mess, the 5 speed a/t's have problems and the m/t has an internal slave cylinder requiring you to remove the transmission to service the clutch hydraulics.

I'd look for any 2wd vehicle with a service history and preferably a recent timing belt service. chains are tough but will usually need replaced at the 150-200k mark which most cheap cars are at.

Civic, as long as it's a manual.

Thanks for the advice I was actually looking at a 4.0l on CL I figured it would've been fine, I thought all the ranger like most of the f150 of the era where belts rather than chains
Any particular year/config that's more desirable than most, all the civic in my area are either stanced or overpriced for not being molested? Which is the main reason why I've haven't seen anything worth even looking at.
I'm in the I35 San Antonio/Austin corridor

Basically 2005 and back is the cheapest and simplest, and I'd rather have a pre 05 one in better condition than a post 05 in worse spec for the same money.

Look for a month or so and you'll find "the one".
BUT
If you can deal with not much space, I really really really recommend an NA Miata, I have a '96.

but the old 302/351/460 and all 4.6/5.4 is a chain and the modular engines are bitch of one at that. The 2.3 ranger has a belt and may be the easiest timing belt to service I'v ever touched. Single cam hondas are also easy.

the 4.0 sohc is based on the 4.0 ohv block with the original timing chain in the front running a jackshaft to the rear timing set that goes to the camshafts, you have to pull the trans or engine to service the rear set. they are also notorious for timing problems. find a 2wd 4cyl ranger for max ease of service. the v6's are pretty stuffed in there and even a spark plug service will be quite a job for the inexperienced. 2.2 s10 pickups are also tanks but most people don't service the dexcool cooling systems leading to leaks and failed or failing components and seals.

for cheap and easy any mazda b2300 2wd, ranger 4cyl 2wd or s10 2.2 2wd. the best cheap mini truck is an early frontier 4cyl though, they share the same ka24de twin cam the 240sx had and are easy to service.

Get a manual with the 4cyl.

redpill me on the 3.0

Piece of shit

y

You can get an LS400 for around 3 grand if you don't mind getting one without vvti, maximum comfy, RWD and top notch reliability.

if you need to save on gas, just get a corolla or a camry.

get a job

As someone who used to own a 4cyl s10, stay away from small trucks if you want something "practical"

There's nothing practical about only having room for one passenger and barely having anywhere to put your shit. The gas milage sucks for what it is and unless you dont care about the engine you have to rev the shit out of it if you want to keep up with traffic.

Get a Saturn, Honda, Toyota, or some other small shitbox

>stay away from small trucks if you want something "practical"
Fuck off

>I can't counter argue so im going to resort to insults

Real constructive post there pal.

I just bought a 4cyl ranger supercab

>rarely drive with anyone else, don't care to be the driver if going somewhere with friends
>rarely need interior space for more than a few things
>now have room to carry all sorts of shit in the bed, aftermarket options to extend support off hitch for large items
>gas mileage just as good as my 2015 crossover with CVT
>accelerates just as fast as any other shitbox on the road and cruises fine at highway speed

Yep, definitely not practical.

Everything you said is bullshit.

They keep up fine with traffic.
I'm 6'6" 350lbs if I fit in a small truck with enough room for a passenger and a kid there is no reason for you to complain.

Stop making shit up you fucking faggot.

Try to get an early 2.3 DOHC/manual combo. Much more power than the old SOHC and it has a timing chain instead of a belt. If you drive it nice it'll get mid-low 20's MPGs in the city and upper 20's on the highway. They're pretty solid; I had one that i took from 150k to 250k and the only thing i had to change besides shocks, oil, other wear parts was an idle air control valve.

The s10 is literally the worst small truck.

Is it in any way related to the Isuzu designed Pickup sold in Japan and Europe?
Because those were great trucks.

then what other small pick up do you recommend? this truck is going to be used maybe 2-4 times a month to haul my motorcycle to and from a track

ranger masterrace