ITT cars that were shit on excessively for no real reason

ITT cars that were shit on excessively for no real reason

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=hoxqtnI4I4c
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

HURR its not a manual
the end of the world
nobody should buy a handbuilt sexy machine, its the same price as a cayman!

Well the Cayman is a better car in just about every single way

It's shit on excessively because its ugly as fuck. Go back to watching Breaking Bad, faggot.

>>build the purest driver's car in the world
>handbuilt
>ultra light
>mid engined
>RWD
>manual steering
>doesn't even come with AC standard
>>decide to make it automatic only....

I kinda like the look of the Aztek. It's aggressive and original. It definitely hasn't aged well, but there are far worse looking cars out there.

>shit on excessively

Not multiple cars, only the Fiat Multipla.

no one shits on these, they're ebin

>Central instrument cluster
What were they thinking?

agree, nobody shits on these. they are just more rare than even a m3

completely missing the point

Maybe I overreacted in my last post. However, I am unsure where you are getting the aggressive look from. I think it looks goofy because it sit waay too tall. I wonder if anyone has ever chopped the top on one of these, it might make it look better to me.

>11sec 0-60

>You guys its about how it drives LOL
why are you getting passed by a minivan user?
why does it feel underpowered when going up hill user?

>cause its about the driving experience!!!

You'd get better driving experience if it was turbo'd.

youtube.com/watch?v=hoxqtnI4I4c

You'd get better driving experience if you had a car.

This was my favorite car when I was a kid. It just looked so different.

I stopped watching him awhile ago, his reviews were starting to get pretty elitist and the toilet humor was funny for 2 episodes.

But nevertheless if you type out your point, I'd be more than happy to read it and engage in a discussion

>hasn't aged well
Were you not alive in 2001? At the time the Aztek was grotesquely ugly, even after a decade of soap cars- it was considered by many to be the ugliest car ever.

The car is much less offensive to people who don't remember it, because it now fits in with the modern herd of crossover shitboxes. I suppose if you were being very generous you could call it "ahead of its time". In that sense it has aged superbly, by modern standards it's somehow much less ugly than it used to be.

People were right to shit on it back in 2001 when it came out, and they're right to shit on it now.

Pic related, the original plastic cladding is needed to witness the full force of the ugly that the Aztek was first born with.

I acknowledge that it's ugly, but I always liked it. Probably because I was 11 when it came out.

Its hideousness was exaggerated even when it first came out. The true failure is that exposed gas cap.

>HAHA! POOR PEOPLE

I'll never get the hated for the Toyota Celica gts. I had mine now for over a decade and I still love the thing.

It's not hate.

It's 'what if'

What if the Celica was given just a better engine and better transmission? And maybe RWD, it could have been the next AE86. Or something.

Instead it was a corolla, with a body kit.

this right here. however the fnf tax does suck

haha I felt the same way. I was really sad when I heard they were ending production because I told myself as a kid that I would own a new PT Cruiser when I got older and had a job.

because aftermarket totally isn't a thing

Just because there are a lot of new cars that also look like shit does not mean that one suddenly looks good.

>car based on a gutless corolla
>marketed as a sports car for some reason
>ITS SLOW LOL
what the fuck did you expect?

ya'll jelly

Have only ever heard hate for this car by people that haven't driven it.

"I'm an uptight faggot with an elitist attitude"

Oh, it's far from looking good, but the ugly doesn't stick out as much because the bar is just lower in general.

Yeah it's sad that cars are more commonly gravitating toward this crossover aesthetic. It looks bloody awful. The Aztek is still top-tier hideous 15 years later, but modern CUVs are trying their hardest to beat the Pontiac in that area!

the pt cruiser was a legitimate piece of shit though. that 2.7 v6 was such a garbage engine.

>>decide to make it automatic only....
And then they didn't even use a proper Ferrari or Maserati unit, no, they had to use one from the fucking Dart. If it was a good automatic, it would've been fine, but no, they had to cut costs in fancy sportscar that was supposed to relaunch Alfa globally. I predict some manual Busso V6 swaps in the future.

>the aftermarket is what the car was for!
Right, they can't make a good enough car to warrant buying without modifications

It was shit on for good reason. It was ugly as sin when it first came out.

its only being looked at in a warmer light now because of Breaking bad, and because suvs in general have gotten to looking worse than it.

>by modern standards it's somehow much less ugly than it used to be.

That's a good point.

Personally I was pretty indifferent about the Aztek's looks. I knew it wasn't pretty and it was certainly ugly in my eyes, but I wasn't offended by it as everyone else seemed to be. It was a crossover which I thought was were rather homely.

The Aztek really was ahead of its time. It was actually a lot of utility for a single vehicle in that era. It reminds my of the episode of The Simpsons when Homer designs a car for his brother's car company that had a lot of features, but ended up looking incredibly ugly and ridiculous by the media.

Years later, the Aztek has effectively achieved meme car status thanks to popularity of Breaking Bad.

I'll do you guys one better and say any (non-Lotus) car with a 2ZZ gets a lot of unwarranted hate.

>have to hit a pricepoint
>Italians have no idea what this means
>blow 99% of budget on fucking carbon fiber tub
>Oh, I guess we'll just slap in some shit from other cars
>Still goes over pricepoint
>Now costs as much as a much better car

It's a fuckpuppet at best, and a waste of carbon at worst.

>mfw i saw sad when walt of rid of the aztec
why? ;_;

>better engine
>not liking a Yamaha tuned Corolla engine
It should have been RWD though.

>tfw at 230hp it's faster than 98% of the cars on Veeky Forums and still more than the buses most of the europoors here ride.

Still so many of those pieces of shit left on the roads.

I'm the only person I know who doesn't hate the Dodge Magnum.

I would agree but he has a point.

It's like making a Lotus extremely heavy. Kinda taking away the whole point, aren't you?

>"Shit on a lot"
Yeah, fits description. So do the GTR and the Vette.

Dude I love Magnums. Neighbor had one. It's literally a wagon Charger. I thought it was brilliant.

I didn't mind the magnum as much as the charger. No idea why anyone thought this car looked good.

I wanted a Magnum for my 18th birthday. I had dreams of customizing it to look like a four door Chevy panel truck... white wall tires, blacked out windows... which honestly would look shitty but it seemed cool at the time.

Anyway, my parents got me a heavily used Dodge Caliber instead. It was more affordable. A car I proceeded to abuse and shit on until the day I traded it in.

I never got the Magnum but I still want one. The Caliber was the poorest substitute possible.

I prefer the pre-facelift Magnums with the blockier headlights. Watching one driving down the street, they actually looked kinda cool.

But let's be honest with ourselves: 2000s-era Chrysler was generally garbage and the early LC/LX platforms were far from great.

The Aztek was the class leader. It was too "futuristic" and there was no market on top of the ugly looks.

If it were released today, opinions would be different considering how ugly crossovers are.

Was looking for a new car and couldn't bring myself to buy one, it looks nice but for the amount you pay you can have a better car, if you want it to mod it then you can buy cheaper shells. Ended up buying a used C5z06 only 21k and smokes most modern cars. Looks nice though. Would buy one used. 15k max

I'm not sure why everyone hated on the Aztek but completely over-looked the rendezvous. It looks way worse then the Aztek imo.

But guys! Please post the concept! If only...

but the rear 1/3 of the roof comes off!

what is it supposed to cost? its not that bad is it?
it was never supposed to be cheap.
the dealers usually knock off 5 grand because they aren't moving anyway.

so what is the price point they should be given they are a hand built carbon fiber car. i think 50k is pretty damn fair

>for no real reason

the poor car, it must be so sad to be so unloved.

just about every old person i know has one of these.

>fwd

Still miss having a GT-S in the garage though ;_;

what about these?

>le the Aztek was a great car meme
No. It was aearly-to-mid 00's plastic turd with shit engines, atrocious design and some good ideas. Was it shit on excessively? Maybe not. But you can't say it was for no real reason. Plus, most of the great features that Aztek apologists always quote can be added to any car by sacrificing a bit of trunk area.

The NC specifically

Doesn't come with pop ups like the AE92 but still good because MUH BOXYNESS

>£50k for an automatic 1.8 4 cyl
>muh soul
>muh passion

no

I mostly see Mexicans and women driving them. But why doesn't this thing ever get shit on but the Aztek does? It looks like literal ass and the Aztek wasn't quite the looker either but it at least had the added utility to it. Also the interior looks just as worse.

This, and the zenki s14

>no real reason
Didn't the Aztek have a problem with fuel catching on fire?

You know... This actually doesn't look half bad. A lot better than X6, Crosstour and that Mercedes (if you overlook rice splitter and side exhaust). The shilouette flows nicely, the proportions are on point, the windows are not squashed flat...

I like the aztek

the looks are okay, and its features are really fucking cool

what makes me like it even more, is that it was the first car that a car company developed alongside their customers.

they made countless groups and took ideas from people, and the aztek was the final result.

GM took a big risk on this one, but i think it was worth it, these cars are excellent roadtrip vehicles.

This was the car americans wanted, but didn't want to admit it because of its "different" styling, and it still sold really well.

late NC's look very nice

early ones with the blog headlights are a little ugly.

If this car was rwd with the lnf similar to the solstice or what have you, it would be way better instead

>FWD

Modern mustangs. Not a fan of them but it does seem like Veeky Forums shits on them excessively. It's cheap power with a massive aftermarket, seems like a great car on paper. And sales back up the paper, it's wildly popular. I just wish Pontiac had survived to make a proper Firebird and GTO.....

I actually prefer the NC over the NB (unless it's the MS NB with the turbo). In my eyes the NA is the Miatest of all Miata though the virtue of being the original. Every successive model has just been one that has had more modern creature comforts with the latest ND topping the NC and NB.

The pt loser never came with the 2.7 v6 though. It only ever came with a four banger, including the turbo charged srt4 engine

Have you ever actually driven an Aztec or camped in one? There are TONS of features that make it a great camping/boondocking vehicle. (center console cooler,rear tent/bunk, awd, tailgate with seats/radio controls. not to mention they're as cheap as shit now.) Yes, they're ugly, know what else is ugly? VW Syncro Vanagons, but they're $40,000 and up in Westphalia trim. A pontiac Aztec is 100 times the vehicle a syncro is. It's just cool to hate because no one actually interacts w/them.

agreed

>excellent road trip vehicles

I just finished a 3600 mile trip in a 2001 Aztec and it was not bad. I got no complaints

I just wish it had a better engine

Who ever wanted that design and though, "That looks great I'll buy it"?

It was a "retro" design that people loved at the time it came out. Boomers were hooked

Chrysler pretty much kicked off the retro craze with the prowler and the pt cruiser.

this

had two boomers in extended family who bought them because of that

>Prowler

I forgot his was a thing once

It's like people who absolutely wanted a Saturn Sky

I don't know why chrysler never offered the prowler with a v8

not making any sterotypes but

Ive seen three of these in my life

all separate occasions

every single one a big black guy wearing a gold watch and a fedora

not fucking kidding

I've seen a few over the years, mostly old white men with gray hair

space/weight maybe

seems like you squeeze more out of a performance v6 then a tiny v8

hah, the second and third times I've been on road trips and been like "holy shit one of those on the road, wait is that the same guy?....nope"

price. To keep the car in the targeted price bracket, it had to use a FWD drivetrain. So they used the bulletproof 3.5L SOHC V6 from the LH cars and shoved the longitudinal FWD transaxle for an LH car in the back, creating a FMR roadster with similare weight distribution to the Chevrolet Corvette and Porsche 944.

Good captain christ, why would any engineer want to do that?

Nope

It really isnt. These cars are a pain in the ass to mod. None of you on here know what goes into modding and working on a car

Some of you people are so delusional
Like these posts are bizarre

it's still an FR car in that the engine is ahead of the driver and sends power to a transmission in the rear via a torque tube (like a corvette). but it just uses a FWD transmission instead of a RWD transmission

your explanation was a bit confusing so i cleared it up a bit

also, the transmission was a 42LE which debuted in every mid-size sedan Chrysler offered in the 90s, so it just made sense

you can tell it's babby's first car forum when they just spout 'rwd swap' for every car