/agdg/ - Amateur Game Dev General

progress and such, edition

>Next Game Jam (Lewd -- Blueboard rules still apply)
itch.io/jam/lewd-jam-2016

>Lewd Jam Collabs
docs.google.com/document/d/1K9wlzcJntyOCV3KLvRcvllZ2ZUnGgrDtiwPdMLlw5XQ/edit?usp=sharing
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Sm0Pxz0uq-62L46TdXmKisynbhLI_by-pLNlcgo4B8M/edit?usp=sharing

>Play Latest AGDG Demos (DDX)
itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-10

>Next Demo Day (DD11)
itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-11

New Threads: Archive: boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/agdg/

>Previous Demo Days
pastebin.com/X6fLvtzA

>Previous Jams
pastebin.com/qRHNpCbZ

Other urls found in this thread:

soundcloud.com/connor-ort-linning-wip/allowed-to-dream-again?in=connor-ort-linning-wip/sets/towards-the-pantheon-demos
adn.itch.io/01
stephaniehurlburt.com/blog/2016/9/16/closed-source-engines-are-a-big-risk
tools.aggydaggy.com/
pastebin.com/iafqz627
steamcommunity.com/groups/vgamedevcrew
webchat.freenode.net/?channels=vidyadev
yoyogames.com/gamemaker
godotengine.org/
haxeflixel.com/
love2d.org/
unrealengine.com/what-is-unreal-engine-4
unity3d.com/
opengameart.org/
blender-models.com/
mayang.com/textures/
freesound.org/browse/
incompetech.com/music/
freemusicarchive.org/
youtube.com/watch?v=2IqxCvzIILM
twitter.com/AnonBabble

ds_list works like a linked list.
Array work like .... array.
you can delete the middle of ds_list
but you can't delete anything besides the last element in array.
Unless you used a for loop to replace the previous element with current's.
e.g.
a[0] = a[1];
a[1] = a[2];

you have 20 seconds to tell me why you aren't working on your game right now

New soundtrack demo
Any feedback/criticism/thoughts guys?
soundcloud.com/connor-ort-linning-wip/allowed-to-dream-again?in=connor-ort-linning-wip/sets/towards-the-pantheon-demos

Thank you.
Work.

>tfw give noobies on reddit the wrong advice on purpose and waste their time

So would it be better to stick with a ds_list or switch to array for the turn order? Because having a boss who deletes player turns to fuck with the player would be pretty cool to have

a game you can put your cock in

Only three of these apply to myself, is that good or bad?

Because I'm afraid no one will think it is fun.
Including myself.

It's 3am.

If I work on my game too close to going to bed, I can't sleep because ideas keep coming to me.

I like it, it gives off a strong ice level vibe to me though

bottom left is a qt, would wreck his boypussy

>trendy, very active on Twitter
At least if they made one it would sell more than 3 copies

I've been working on this prototype for the past 2 weeks and I could use some feedback.

adn.itch.io/01

Thanks to all anons who gave feedback on the last thread

Really, really boring. I assume this is passive menu music that the player hears for like 20 seconds?

Post your game, I will let you know for sure if it's fun or not

I don't know how to dedicate my time to things, also I'm about to go to sleep right now.

I already pleasantly surprised myself with all the time I spent on my game this week

for the few people wondering why stopped posting progress, i stopped working on this and plan to restart in U4 at some point. what i have in mind is too difficult for me to do right now.

for now, boxman singing off.

Keep the good work up user

Lacks punch. The bass comes in and it's the same volume and tone as the high-pitched bells.

if you need punch I can give you some
show me your game nerd

no idea what's the difference between them.
but seems like there's this rule people follow,

> if it's a fixed lenth, use an array; otherwise, if it's variable length, use a ds_list.

Thanks!
Ah, okay, thanks for the feedback I'll keep workin on 'er.

>changing engine

fucking why?

bokube is cute

still early enough in development and U4 just got some features i'm looking forward to implementing.

the market gap for these kinds of games is closing though so i doubt there wont be something better than anything i could make by then.

I'm a nodev, where do you think it is?
for some reason this was enough motivation to start tutorials at the very least so thanks?

There's really no reason to use Unity anymore. It and C# are dying.

>ctrl F
>no results
OK fine then back to nodevving.

I knew i should've checked the bottom of the page first

A game that doesn't cry when you cum inside it
:'(

do you basically get everything you've done in unity for free with the physical animation component?

Make sure to post progress

stephaniehurlburt.com/blog/2016/9/16/closed-source-engines-are-a-big-risk

Thoughts/ AGDG??

>Stephanie

Opinion discarded.

Give me the tldr

Unity is shit

>4:23 am
Because I'm going to sleep
Thank you to the anons? who gave me advice and handheld me last thread, I owe you big time. Probably not done with this yet but it works for now. Sprites still placeholder, of course.

The tldr in the picture you fucking taintlicker

She's right. Unreal did it correctly. I look at the engine code at least once every dev session, and it's probably the most significant reason I wouldn't use Unity.

it's literally just downwell

I haven't had a crossaint in forever - looks fucking amazing. Thanks for posting user. I'll get some tomorrow at the farmer's market.

>woman has opinion on game development
ehhhhhhh

yes. there were a lot of surprising benefits to doing it the way i was doing it and even problems that developed were so entertaining i was tempted to leave them in as "features" but that's lazy game design.

when nothing has to be animated it makes a lot of things easier, but traditionally easier things harder as well.

my goal was to make something polished enough to demonstrate enough potential to get some kind of help. 1MA will be impossible for me, but i don't have a choice. i haven't touched the game in 16 days and i don't think ill have a that much better of a result in U4.

gimmie those tiddies

>want to make a sentai-themed game
>can't sell it without having to say INSPIRED BY SABAN'S POWER RANGERS FRANCHISE literally everywhere

Fuck it.

How early in development should you implement a save function? It seems like the longer you wait the more fucked you are. Especially if you have a large number of story triggers, cut scenes, inventory, etc. I'm starting to realize what a headache RPGs must be unless there is some trick I am missing.

I've toyed with making a rhythm-combat game for awhile.

The problem I keep hitting is what to do if there is lag that desynches the audio from the visual. This would make the game unplayable, but seems dependent on the player's machine.

What can I do about this? Using Unity, if it matters.

just dont call it sentai

god hand did midget power rangers and nobody did jack shit

>selling your game on other IPs
Thanks for letting me know I can avoid it.

Make a parody game and hope they figure it isn't worth the trouble trying to fight parody laws.

You should have at least provisioned it from the get-go. Even if you're not writing to disk yet, if you're making an RPG you should have some central location where all the variables are stored so when you do write it you know where to put it. And of course, that central location should also allow you to load values in. So basically, very early in development.

You tried and I appreciate that, but maybe next time leave the OP making to the big boys. Here's the links you forgot

> Helpful links
AGDG Logo: pastebin.com/iafqz627

> AGDG Chats
steamcommunity.com/groups/vgamedevcrew
webchat.freenode.net/?channels=vidyadev

> Engines
GameMaker: yoyogames.com/gamemaker
Godot: godotengine.org/
Haxe: haxeflixel.com/
LÖVE: love2d.org/
UE4: unrealengine.com/what-is-unreal-engine-4
Unity: unity3d.com/

> Models/art/textures/sprites
opengameart.org/
blender-models.com/
mayang.com/textures/

> Free audio
freesound.org/browse/
incompetech.com/music/
freemusicarchive.org/

once i have the basic gameplay in i put make a save. ideally you do it from the beginning otherwise it's a bunch of tedious work.

>store absolutely everything on a gameobject
>parent every single gameobject to one root gameobject
>can literally take snapshots of the entire game every frame

Unity is truly based.

Simply put, and I know it sounds obvious, you shouldn't allow it to be desynched. I'm assuming you're not using a clock to determine where things *should* be, but rather just moving elements by a certain amount on Update, right? Perhaps instead what you should be doing is using the Time.time variable (and some math) to determine where everything should be *right at that second*. That will ensure it never becomes desynched (and it's also a very common practice).

You know, the root scene node is a GameObject too.

>2016
>there are still people who don't know this

What is this, mediocre hour?

Yet another case which clearly shows why Unity gets terrible rep.

This approach could end up being 1000x (if not even more) slower over a hand crafted one.

No idea what filesize saves that produces but I've had several gigabytes worth of RPG saves on an emulator before without realizing it, I'd like to keep it reasonable if possible.
Then again I'm a paranoid fuck that never overwrites saves ever.

Tell that to Chroma Squad's devs. They said "it's parody and love for the sentai genre" and Saban threw tons of lawyers at them, forced their Kickstarter to be shut down, and mired them in bullshit until they relented and had to suck Saban Entertainment's dick on all of their material.

So? It works.

i used unity and my save file is just a struct

@626
Didn't forget any bloat, I can assure you.

That's a lot of bloat. Just put it in a pastebin with the current OP and it's perfect.

>still not putting superior MonoGame on the list of Engines
>still including MËME2D and Haxe

Go be a retard somewhere else

There's not enough content for the differences to be made clear yet I guess

>tfw one guy really really really likes your game and it's making you nervous
>tfw he sends daily emails

before adding content, but after some of the core systems are in place

You already have a buyer user, gz.

>caring whether saving / loading takes 1 second or 1.5 seconds

literal autism

Pander to him exclusively, then change everything you can at the last minute. See if he commits suicide.

That's creepy as hell BUT if it's a kid think about being a kid and having a cool game dev answer one of your emails, that would be really exciting and probably the highlight of his life right now

He probably went to school and told all his friends

Honestly why the fuck is Godot, Haxe and Love are up there and MonoGame isn't. C# is the most popular and comfy language amongst indie devs, and MonoGame is literally the best suited framework for 2D indie games.

if your quicksave isn't instant you're doing something wrong

Nice humblebrag

Man, that seems crazy complicated. It's one thing to make Enemy X do Attack Y at Timestamp Z, but actively tracking every object and the current placement in the audio track to be sure things are in place based upon the current time seems just ugly.

How do you get it then? Transform.parent is null on root GOs.

>indie game
>loading/saving takes 1 second
user.. I'm so sorry.

You two are part of the solution

The OP is not bloated. If it takes you longer than half a second to scroll past the OP that's your own problem. And after your first visit to the thread it will automatically scroll you to the last post you saw. So the slightly longer OP has zero affect on you, while making it easier for anyone that does want to click the links.

is pico8 legit or memeware?

@691
>to scroll past the OP
See that's the problem you mong.

>MonoGame is literally the best suited framework for 2D indie games.
Most indie devs aren't programmers. Gamemaker and Godot are far superior 2D choices for most gamedevs.

What I don't get is why "Haxe" is listed under "engines." It's a fucking programming language. At least the link itself points to HaxeFlixel...

but anoooon, le C# M$ boogeymin

a shitty brazilian scripting language is clearly better for game dev

Can it make fun little games? yes
Can it make full games that you release for real life money? no

Oh there'll definitely be a death with that plan, user. But it'll be the dev, not the stalker.

Daily reminder that the best way to gamedev is to get salty about everything.

>154981794
>I want (You)s
>but I refuse to give them to others

getting bullied by ex dev bf need a new one

>le engine war starting up again
Holy fuck you people are retarded. JUST LIKE MAKE GAME

>tfw couldn't go to sleep because wanted to solve this mess
If I have the instance's ID, I could use it to link it to its turn, right? Thank you anons.
One more question though, the instance ID is, in Player 1's case, 100017. The object ID of it when placed into a room is 10. What does that mean for me? I don't see the connection.

1 small rung up from [type of shitposting I'm loathe to even mention lest it start again]

@7
I don't give (You)s to shitters.

I'll write for your game, but I'll never, ever look at you in a romantic way.

>ywn have Japanese Nickelback do hype music for your boring game
youtube.com/watch?v=2IqxCvzIILM
why live?

>tfw currently listening to Heavy Day
>tfw always listen to GG OST while coding
Good taste, user