Project car help

What would be a good cheap project car? I'm a beginner and would like to learn how to do things on cars but I don't want to use my dd. Where would you recommend looking? Craigslist? Auctions? I don't want to spend a lot of money. I also live in America if it makes a difference. Ty.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=tm3-ku-rIiU
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Get an older Jeep. TJ or XJ preferably. Simple to work on, parts are pretty cheap, and a lot of potential for upgrades.

Get something cheap, with a large market. Dont just jump to something that may be amazing but requires a particular buyer. You might be able to restore a 70s mercedes but youd also need someone to want to buy it.
Try something simple like a neon or a beat corolla.
Yesterday i sold a 2005 lancer with close to 150K miles for $2,000. Got that beat POS for $450. Pic related when i bought it.

Also, don't underestimate the work you may need to do.

I would not buy anything 1985-1995.

Older than this range carbonated no computers minimal electronics (could have problems finding parts check this before you buy)

Newer than this range you get OBD2 diagnostic, fairly stable fuel injection, air bags, AC

If you buy something in the range you will probably have computer or electrical problems that will be hard to work on with some parts being remodeled or changed yearly

Public auctions are a great place if you have one near you OP.

As far as actually getting something, only go pre-1996 if it's something super simple (Miata, Blazer, Civic). Otherwise try to stick to something that's EFI and OBDII, will make life easier

Thanks everyone! I'm very new to this stuff and I just learned how to change rotors today so I'm definitely a beginner. Thanks again for all the advice.

COROLLA
O
R
O
L
L
A

In April I did not know a lot about cars either.

I wanted a project so I bought a shitty fox mustang and I'm doing a head cam and intake for it.
It's 2 weeks late and $400 over budget but wow I have learned a lot. It's just so satisfying.

>Get something cheap, with a large market.
CHEROKEE

NOT THE GRAND THE ELECTRONICS GO TO SHIT

THEY DO IN THE XJ AS WELL BREH

Yeah but they come right the fuck out in five minutes. Grands are just more of a pain in the ass because they aren't a tin can with an I6 stuffed in, which is what makes them a great project.

What also makes them great is that you can swap a 2JZ into it because the AW4 shares the same connections that the A340e from the Toyota Aristo has, and is essentially the same trans, but the A340E is stronger and it will hook up to a NP231 center differential

I did not fucking know that.

I know what I'm doing with the 2JZ-GE that will be coming out of an IS-300 for a GTE swap in the future. Putting it in the Comanche with no lift sounds fun as hell, too but I'm going to enjoy it as my redneck shitbox for a while first.

Look it up, there's a guy who's successfully swapped it and he's got a couple vids up on youtube

Watching XJ videos on youtube is a good way to fall in love with XJs, you can do fucking anything to them. You can build up a very nice interior and even fanagle in an old RB1 and pray it can still get a lock using 2012 map updates and have 'factory' nav in it too. Or, you can take out everything but the drivetrain and throw it at a hill like you're trying to break it. Fun fucking trucks, and so cheap. If there was a mosin of SUVs that would be it. Any poorfag can get a cherokee that runs.

Nah, I meant like this
youtube.com/watch?v=tm3-ku-rIiU

Yeah, saw that one too. Fucking amazing.

Honda civic. Every part ever is available with OEM style or 30 different after market styles.

Did you see the wrangler with the 2jz swap?

Did you see it take the fuck off?

I saw it shredding tires and lighting fires
WWWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO BOI

this.

>enormous aftermarket with several choices for almost every component
>huge body of knowledge on forums
>if you want to try it, someone else probably has, and has a post about how they did it
>cheap parts in scrap yards

Supposedly AMC/Chrysler got the I6 block up to 300HP with ECU tuning and minimal to no modifications but with fuel economy shitting the bed. I want to know how they achieved and if it can be repeated.

I want to know if this can be done with a Renix ECU and set to a toggle switch. Otherwise I'll find an OBDII Cherokee and turn it into a 4WD sleeper that way since a lot more can be done with OBDII compatible ECUs.

Truly a man could buy a Cherokee and a Civic for $600 each and have the only cars he'll ever need.

I always thought the Remix units were to be avoided

Comanche fans don't really have much of a choice. And they're not terrible, you just won't get any help from a code scanner. SO if you'd rather not fiddle around testing with a multimeter, go ahead and find a 96+ Cherokee. They're just as cheap.

not a DD? Fuck that. The only way you'll learn is if it's a DD.

My gfs driving around my brother's hand-me-down 99 4.0 auto 4WD, it's at 237k miles and its still rolling on, if I had the money you bet your ass there's be a 2JZ going in it

>google Renix scan tools for AMC XJs
>someone has literally necroposted a thread about them from a DECADE ago
I'm just gonna get a manual and multimeter. My next XJ will be OBDII if I can help it.

you just have to try to sell to a non car guy for a much higher price.
A car guy will actually know what he's looking at

not OP, but what about turd gen Camaros/Firebirds? specifically, a 91 RS? I Don't ever hear about them being particularly unreliable.