Washing your baby

Hey Veeky Forums I finally got a car that I really want to take care of. So I want to know what you guys do/recommend washing your car. I've read that taking your car through one of those car washes is really bad for the paint. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.4plebs.org/o/thread/15054456
archive.4plebs.org/o/thread/15054456/#q15061874
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Whoa nice wheels
Vintage set of HRE 547r's

Buy some Korean microfibers and some optimum no rinse. Hand wash and dry 2 bucket method. Gl user

you can start by not letting the sun bake the soap on car's finish

You're right about automatic car washes. Never ever. Use the two bucket wash method, always. One bucket with the soapy water and one with plain water that you rinse the dirt out of your rag/sponge with before putting it back in the soapy water. That way the soapy water stays clean and you don't drag the dirt you just washed off back on the paint, scratching it.

I prefer meguiars products, these are what I use:
>ultimate wash and wax
>clay bar kit
>ultimate polish
>gold class carnauba paste wax
>wash and wax anywhere spray
>endurance tire gel
>all wheel and tire cleaner
>ultimate black plastic restorer
>plast-x headlight restorer
>ultimate interior detailer
>ultimate leather balm
>turtle wax ICE carpet cleaner
>rain-x glass cleaner+rain repellant
>a fuckton of microfiber towels

Walmart carries a "premium" brand of microfiber towels that are actually pretty nice and for about $5, they come in 7 packs of red/silver, medium blue/silver, and teal/silver. Good for differentiating what product you used on them, with 6 different colors of rags to choose from. The silver ones have a hem around the edge that is the color of the other rags in the pack.

You can also get everything else I listed at walmart, and for cheaper than anywhere else. Never buy car cleaning products at an auto parts store, they're horribly marked up.

wash, clay, polish/level, wax

congrations, you done it

AMMO NYC on youtube for learning how to wash your car

This is pretty much all the products you could ever need

Thanks, I will take a look at the channel and take a look at these products.

>So I want to know what you guys do/recommend washing your car.

Check out the archived Veeky Forums car washing and detailing thread at:

archive.4plebs.org/o/thread/15054456

>no sealant

m8

>sealant
That's what the carnauba wax is for. I prefer the gloss of carnauba to sealants, and I don't need the durability of a sealant either. I'm fine with rewaxing every 2 months or so.

went mudding. whats best way to clean off baked on mud?

>no sealant

Sealant makes the wax job fall off faster. The wax has a problem sticking to the sealant. So the wax just falls right off. The sealant is not "intelligent" as it considers the wax to be just another damn bit of dirt or grime trying to stick onto the sealant.

I noticed that when my sealant wore off, the wax jobs lasted longer.

seeing as how you ruined the truck by taking part in a contest of who can drag their knuckles the most: the best method is to light it on fire.

its not completely coated in it, its just thick along the front wheel wells and splashed on the front bumper

>whats best way to clean off baked on mud?
Gentle water spray to sluice the majority of mud off without grinding the mud into the paint from strong water jet. Moisten all the mud first before you begin working on one section at a time. Don't worry about getting it all off at once because the stubborn mud will slowly become unstuck due to the water soaking in. By the time you come on the 2nd pass, it will be soaked enough fall off.

Once most of the dirt is gone, you can switch to a stronger jet. You don't want to use a strong jet right away on the clumped mud due to scratching. Remember, water jet cutting of steel uses a high pressure stream of water into which is inserted little particles of abrasive mud (feldspar, garnet, or aluminum oxide). So you don't want to use a jet of water to shove those sand particles down onto your paint.

so just make the mud wet again. aight

I bought all the gear and products to hand wash my car every week. It wasn't long before I lost the motivation and started using the touchless automatic car washes. They don't scratch your paint like the ones that use brushes and also spray the crap off the underside pretty well. I've been pretty satisfied.

You really just wash it with simple car soap (Wheels/Rims first, with a different bucket than the one you are going to use for the rest of the car, the dirt in the rims/rotors is very acidic), washing from top to bottom of the car, dry it utilizing one of those spray dry and wax products.
Using one of those towels made for drying your car, you can use the spray wax and dry along with it since it really makes it easier.

After that you just put some Tire cleaner/shine into your tires, and if you want, clean the inside too, don't forget to put some black ice three when you are finished to really make the interior fresh.

>he thinks he knows better than people that does it for a living

Just accept that you're too poor for a proper wash

Where did I say I know better than anyone else? And this shit gets expensive as fuck. The total price of everything I listed at walmart comes out to $141.27, and they're all consumable products. I just prefer doing it myself because I enjoy it.

Also
>letting anyone else touch your car

I used to be very into detailing cars, but then I just paid a pro to do it very extensively once a year and I do a less time consuming detail once a week. Just shampoo, clay, and then a combo polish and wax. Also wheel cleaner if necessary. I use the Meguiars mirror bright line.

>carnauba wax
>providing 2 months protection
You're gonna have to pick one

>The total price of everything I listed at walmart comes out to $141.27

Please check out:
archive.4plebs.org/o/thread/15054456/#q15061874

That's a different approach to using buckets and works well for that person and lots others too. I know one person inspired by MacGyver who bought one of those cute garden hoses (small diameter hose). He attached it to the end of the longer hose thru one of those little water flow valves for $2.49 adjusted to a low flow rate. The soap dispenser was one of those fertilizer things but filled with some car wash shampoo instead. He wears a mitt and the cute hose goes inside the mitt. One wrap of duct tape around his forearm and the hose reduces the strain. He then washes the car that way with clean shampoo always coming out the mitt. He has worked it out where the shampoo runs out at a good time so he continues gently wiping and then finishing with a clean water spray.

Washing the car yourself isn't about money, its about the fun of doing it and knowing that you got everything. Car wash places only use a fourth of the products available. If you really want to clean your car then doing it yourself is the best way.

I live in a very dusty area for a town, not dirt, dust, the same kind you find at your home if you don't clean often, and I'm getting tired of having to wash my car every 3 days if I don't want a dusty car. Tried just using a duster, but I'm afraid I'll ruin the paint.
Any tips to deal with this shit?

What kind of duster you use?

Made of microfiber. Though it works great for small amounts of dust. I can't do the whole car with it since at some point the duster is too dusty to even work

>ultimate wash and wax
i prefer gold card soap, its much softer

>endurance tire gel

how is this compared to black magic tire gel?

OP make sure you buy this stuff from walmart and NOT autozone because walmart is so much cheaper then autozone.

Please don't touch the paint on your fucking car until you know what you're doing. Whenever I walk around car dealerships, the amount of cars with holograms and swirl scratches makes me fucking cringe.

Can't say I know too much about paint, I work in a place that basically constantly has dust so I never wash my DD because it just makes the paint look like brushed stainless...BUT..

If you want to protect your plastics/leathers/vinyls/pretty much anything that isn't metal or painted metal, I love the shit out of 303 Aerospace Protectant. Great shit and a little goes a long way. Tiny bit expensive but totally worth it.

hahahahahaha