Hey Veeky Forums, I drive a corolla and am having some issues with I believe the transmission

Hey Veeky Forums, I drive a corolla and am having some issues with I believe the transmission .

>I've googled for 30 minutes already

Basically when I try to accelerate it the rpm jumps up quick as hell but the speed doesn't go with it. I'll get to maybe 30 mph then I'll have to manually switch gears. I can get it to 60 mph on 3rd gear but it won't go faster and the gears won't generally shift on their own. I think I guckrd up the transmission by going into neutral while going down hill at a high speed but don't know much about cars... Please help.

Ok, this is a weird issue.

Check the level of your tranny fluid. See if it's low.

See the fluid coupling needs fluid to work, when the engine accelerates half the converter spins but if there's no fluid the rest of the torque converter that goes to the gears is never actually connected.

Gears won't shift unless the engine speed, wheel speed and sometimes tranny speed are good for the ECU.

Try adding maybe 2 quarts of tranny fluid and see if that fixes the problem.

Also any other information would help.

Ok, I will add it in the morning. I'm in a motel in a city full of meth heads and don't want to go to the gas station rn to buy some.

What other info would you like???

Things like, is the car jerky to drive. If you don't add fluid it may be very soon and THEN you have a really big problem and you need to replace bands or clutches.

Also does it shift manually? So can you push the shifter from L to 2 or whatever?

Did you shift back to drive while moving after the hill?

If yes it is very possible you'd damaged the clutch pack that connects the drive input from the engine into the tranny gears. If the fluid is fine, i'd think this is the problem. Come back after doing that.

Lol how do I check the cluch pack??

Yes I shifted from neutral to drive while driving, I can shift manually right now while driving

>Lol how do I check the cluch pack??
You have to remove the entire auto tranny, then you have to remove the toque converter and some other shit before you can.

In other words, you don't. And really don't try. I made the mistake of trying a Honda Civics and i spent over two weeks on that thing. It's just so MUCH.

Manual is MUCH easier. Cant wait for CVTs to be the norm and then i really don't know what to do.

>Yes I shifted from neutral to drive while driving, I can shift manually right now while driving
Oh no, you've really fucked it up. Hope to god it's JUST the clutch packs which would be a thousand dollar repair with the parts/

Pray it's not the vanes of the torque converter that are now bent out of shape and thus not forming a proper coupling. Because parts and labor, you're easily going to be 1500-3000 dollaroos down.

Also you may just need an entirely new transmission, in which case. It should be cheaper than a repair and some mechanics will buy an old tranny from you to fix and sell as a rebuilt tranny.

It may just be better to start looking for a new car.

Its a 5 year old corolla man... Spending 3000 dollars isn't entirely out of the question.

Your Corolla is probably a 3spd transmission.

There's three on the tree yes.

Did you buy it new? If you did, i'm so sorry.

Anyway, my 2003 corrolas tranny bands wore out, so that it would jerk HEAVILY in first.

The only solution to that was a trip to a good mechanic and he offered to fix it for 800 though i have to supply the parts for 300 or so. It was actually 800 for a used transmission from a junk car but he said if i give him my old fucked transmission he'd give me 500 back.

Anyway, ask around some mechanics, see which ever gives you the lowest price.

I wish i could drive your car to feel for whats wrong, but i have the suspicion that the converter might be fucked. And i'm sorry for that. If not it may just be the clutch pack.

Also did the car immediately start having problems after the hill or did it take a while?

It was during the hill, I was going down hill put it in neutral and started applying the brakes. Then when the hill started flattening out I put it in drive and tried to rev the engine and the rpm jumped up but the mph didn't.

I'd been shifting from neutral to drive a lot...

>I'd been shifting from neutral to drive a lot...
Yup, fucked your converter then.

GG.

Enjoy your 3000 dollar replacement with parts and labor.

Can I still drive it? I'm 27 miles from a transmission shop... But like a block from a cornerstone

why are you shifting to neutral manually in an automatic?

>Can I still drive it?
That's up to you.

Drive it gently. Maybe over filling it with fluid would help, but i'm not sure.

There is a meme that shifting into neutral while going down hill saves gas. It is of course a meme and not true.

I was told it saves gas mileage when going downhill...

I hope you feel stupid.

Really though, idk why you would think it would really help. A DI engine that uses a computer to measure the precise amount of gas wouldn't care. It just puts less gas in and the engine is run by the road.

Like what do you think happens when your breaking and idling? The engine is simply running over the converter and no movement is happening.

That happens backwards when the car is gear and the wheels are faster than the engine, the output of the converter simply drives the engine instead of the other way around, and modern DI engine simply puts less fuel in.

I feel like a fucking retard I'm on vacation and now I'm stuck 24 hours away from home in a hot as fuck state. So the consensus here is 3 grand to fix?

If it's an automatic, then I might be the transmission control unit, which deals with shifting in autos is broken

it's not a terribly expensive repair, 250 dollars is the range you should expect, but it often takes a while for them to get it fixed, so you may need to rent or borrow a car for the next two to three weeks

2-3 weeks seems a ridiculous amount of time

This is an opinion on an anonymous sugar pastry forum, with a basic description of the problem and cause and no direct interaction with the vehicle.

I think your torque converter is fucked. It can cost UP TO 3 grand to fix it judging by what i have seen over the years. Btw i'm in Canada so it would be less for you i think.

It could also be: but i don't think it is, simply because the engine is revving and the car is moving, just slower than it should be. This in my mind implies that fluid is not forming a proper seal and is leaking somewhere between the impeller turbine and stator, to make it move at the correct rate, however since there is still some fluid being sealed the car is moving at least a little bit.

The control unit being bust would mean the car would be shifting badly, or not at all, but it's in gear just not moving the car at the correct speed.

Take it to a professional, just be ready for a hefty bill. And try not to believe everything you read.

If you ever hear X saves fuel, think of the reasoning behind it, in this case the idea is that since the tranny is not in gear the friction isn't there. This is simply dismissed because a good transmission doesn't have that much friction anyway, and no matter in gear or not parts in the transmission are being driven. Also research the parts involved in a process like this and think if you can damage them by doing whatever.

If you can't find some proof of something working, just don't do it.

If you wanna save fuel. Accelerate, keep it below 3000, gently let off the gas and the auto tranny will drop a gear. Again do it to maximum 4000, and then let off gas tranny will drop a gear, now in third unless it's over drive get to the speed limit (lol) and let off gas until it's in over drive. If it's a 3 speed with over drive, get to second, use second to get to desired speed and let it drop to 3rd.

We do this manuals, it's called short shifting. It keeps the Revs low and thus saves gas.