/agdg/ - Amateur Game Dev General

Just Like Make Game

> Latest Demo Day (X)
itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-10

> Current Game Jam (Lewd -- Blueboard rules still apply)
itch.io/jam/lewd-jam-2016

>Lewd Jam Collabs
docs.google.com/document/d/1K9wlzcJntyOCV3KLvRcvllZ2ZUnGgrDtiwPdMLlw5XQ/edit?usp=sharing
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Sm0Pxz0uq-62L46TdXmKisynbhLI_by-pLNlcgo4B8M/edit?usp=sharing

> Helpful links
New Threads: Archive: boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/agdg/
AGDG Logo: pastebin.com/iafqz627

> Previous Demo Days
pastebin.com/X6fLvtzA

> Previous Jams
pastebin.com/qRHNpCbZ

> AGDG Chats
steamcommunity.com/groups/vgamedevcrew
webchat.freenode.net/?channels=vidyadev

> Engines
GameMaker: yoyogames.com/gamemaker
Godot: godotengine.org/
Haxe: haxeflixel.com/
LÖVE: love2d.org/
UE4: unrealengine.com/what-is-unreal-engine-4
Unity: unity3d.com/

> Models/art/textures/sprites
opengameart.org/
blender-models.com/
mayang.com/textures/

> Free audio
freesound.org/browse/
incompetech.com/music/
freemusicarchive.org/

Other urls found in this thread:

marketplace.yoyogames.com/assets/1156/multiplayer-gmnet-engine
pastebin.com/UjUtepzP
pastebin.com/duGhpUds
lcmccauley.wordpress.com/2014/04/24/2d-frustum-culling-tutorial-p1/
leafo.net/love/wiki/optimising.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

First for nodev

Any articles on making 3D-like movement in a 2D top down game? Tried googling but couldn't find anything helpful.

Third for nodev

Turns now cycle properly from player through enemy party.
Had a lot of trouble figuring out which enemy did what at this point, so thinking about little overlays based on their status.

Next is reinstating win/lose conditions, and making sure the dead enemy doesn't get a turn.

How's Unreal scripting without Visual Studio?

Thread is shit, back to dev.

Isn't that just 2D movement?

>talented artists wasting time on dumb meme bullshit like this

Infuriating.

TGS was pretty fun but fuck I am tired.

What do you mean by 3D movement in your case? Your picture is from a game that doesn't do anything 3D.

>3D movement in 2D game
So 2D movement.

Could you elaborate more?

>Meme bullshit
As a talented artist fuck you I do what I want

His example was bad, Think more like SMRPG, at least I think that's what he was trying to get across.

>wasting time
It's called having fun

Are any of these Game Maker Assets/addons of any use? Addding multiplayer cant be easy can it?

3D movement like left, right up down I'm assuming? Like Ace Combat Advance?

people like you need to stay the fuck away from the industry and just play our games.

>multiplayer/networking in Game Maker

Short answer: Don't.

Long answer: Seriously, just don't.

I hope you don't mean
>we need more meme games

but what about local

Its been a while since I played it but its not really a difficult concept there where I'd assume it keeps the overworld gameplay using 3D coordinates and then uses that to draw 2D sprites. Getting the draw order right would be the most difficult part but I think they probably designed levels in ways that would minimize problems with that (basically cut it up based on z order).

where is your game
Risk of Rain has online and is made in GM. Go on discord and ask hopoo

>trying to get GM to recognize multiple inputs
>anything other than a months-long hassle

Space Station 13 has around 1000x1000 tiles, which is 1.000.000 tiles. Every frame it iterates through every fucking tile to simulate atmospherics. Plus, there are thousands of objects everywhere, dozens of players, hundreds of mobs, a shitton of everything. Yet, it runs at 20-30FPS

In Love2D, I'm rendering 100x100 tiles, without a single object, only one player and spritebatching. I get 1FPS. If I activate my atmos code, it runs way less than 1FPS, sometimes it crashes.

How the fuck did they do that

>local multiplayer only game
that is suicide

Got any good guides on how to AI in turn-based games & roguelikes?

I did basic AI course so I have relatively good understanding about shit like AO trees, A*, minimax, etc

I think Hopoo had someone else handle multiplayer for him, though.

IIRC there was a free asset that handle multiplayer for you, I'd check into that.

>Go on discord
no thanks, I'm not gay or looking for a bf

Nice. RoR is the kind of game that Id liek to make. Is there any public information about his game design process?

I am interested in hearing answer for this as well. I'm using Love2D as well - making smaller game with it so I don't have too much trouble, but I want to know about the engine's limitations.

>go to the OTHER cancer chat

What horrible advice.

marketplace.yoyogames.com/assets/1156/multiplayer-gmnet-engine
This being the one I saw, not sure how good it is but development has been going on for a few years so there's that.

Thanks for mentioning, but it's in the folder called "Umbrella warriors".

MËME2D is for cloning Mario Bros and making platformer proof of concepts. Don't try to do any sort of real gamedev with it.

>muh boogeyman chat
that's the only place to catch hopoo and ask him directly afaik

You sound dumb! I mean, Gamemaker is even weaker than that, and they could shit out some damn fine games. So what's wrong with Love2D?

i dont know but here is a quote about it from the guy who wrote the engine
>Wow, that's insane. It's a fucking miracle that even compiles at all.

you could probably find the code and see for yourself though

Thats what I was asking, one asset to do all that? sounds fishy

Doesn't server handle things like atmospherics? Client only has to display what's near player's location.

If the word meme hadn't lost most of its meaning it'd be easier to avoid making meme games. "Make a game with absolutely nothing intentionally or unintentionally funny or weird for the player to latch into" is hard, and for what reward? I hope it's a reward which warrants making something for months and not allowing yourself to joke even a bit in it. Only in horror games and other bleak games that'd seem worthy.

I'm going to bet it's your shit code that's doing it.

>tfw woke up too late and missed the farmer's market

really wanted that croissant, feels bad man

>implying Hopoo wants anything to do with rando anons from /agdg/ asking him how to make games
>implying he doesn't absolutely hate "omg hopoo how I make game??" retards
>implying he didn't prove that with how he acted on his tumblr before giving slowly up on it entirely

Don't bother yesdevs.

Entries

why even bother

Had some time, reformatted the programming guide for your reading pleasure. More suggestions are appreciated.

pastebin.com/UjUtepzP

Pixel art resources:

pastebin.com/duGhpUds

It's on the market place and has been for years, if there was anything fishy about it I think it would have been taken down already.

LOVE2D was meant to be the lightest of engines. It even uses Lua, the lightest language for gamedev out there. I don't understand why it's so laggy

Maybe the framework really is shit after all. I used Unity for almost two years, but when I was planning on remaking SS13, I decided to choose a light engine.

Do you think it's a good idea to do it on Unity?

Pretty sure it's not

Use culling in the renderer frigging idiot.

SS13 wouldn't iterate through every possible tile on the map to simulate atmospherics. It would only iterate through the parts where the gas exists.

Another guy here -- But when you're dealing with a 100x100 tile grid, IS there a way to render each one in a smarter way?

First things that come to my mind that can do are:
1. Make a bigass map in TILED and render that, while using it's LOVE2D integeration to manipulate shit in the table itself...
2. Make bigger tiles that contain more shit.

Are there any other ways?

>pastebin.com/duGhpUds
>pastebin.com/UjUtepzP
based

So I take it your game is almost ready?

people don't seem to remember how hard hopoo got bullied out of this place after RoR success

why would he give a shit about anyone here

dunno, seemed pretty chill on the chat

I do. Once iterating, if the current tile has 0 gas or less gas than all it's adjacent tiles, it doesn't do anything

SS13 is completely dynamic, all tiles are destructible and buildable, so I can't really make big spaces a single image.

You are an angel sent from Heaven.

I've already saved your pixel art link collection to the Google Drive folder, but I hope you don't mind if I do the same to the programming one.

2D Frustum Culling for all the babies in the thread.

lcmccauley.wordpress.com/2014/04/24/2d-frustum-culling-tutorial-p1/

>got bullied out of agdg
>posted deadbolt updates and got feedback all the time

check your facts retard

Maybe the animation looks less off now, i just add 1 new frame and just a little bit

Are you using the framebuffer?

here are some tips
leafo.net/love/wiki/optimising.html

>not just copying an NES platformer over a month or two

It's like you're scared of money. The window on NES nostalgia selling is rapidly closing. Soon you're going to have to find artists who can do later-SNES/PSX-tier spritework, and they're more expensive and far less common.

Don't hesitate! Copy a classic today for free money!

That pixel "flopping" on the helmet between the eyes is incredibly distracting.

you shouldn't iterate through every tile to figure out where the gas is. Once you drop a gas, you should have an identifier which links you directly to list of all squares with gas in it.

You must never iterate through all the squares for anything.

what does that have to do with him giving a shit? he was probably just shilling

camera rotation damping: yay / nay?

collabs were a mistake

Making a tavern! The only thing I really don't like is the door - any idea of how to properly draw it with this perspective?

>a month or two
lolno, making a game that will actually sell takes more than a year to dev. Shovel Knight is nothing but retro cloneshit and it took at least two years to make.

The top of the door needs to go all the way down to the wall, it would be fine then.

>You must never iterate through all the squares for anything.
But what about the iteration for drawing the things?

user, I know you just woke up from cryostasis, but it's currently late 2016, not mid 2014 anymore. Nostalgia platformers have long since passed.

Got a blog?

ok! I'll try that
rainfrogs.tumblr.com

Sure, I'm glad if it helps someone.

I'll be adding some links to tutorials on installing linux probably tommorow.

thanks

Have an extra "z" variable that you keep track off.
Example for achieving the Roc Feather effect: When you press the jump button or whatever you just switch the player's sprite to jumping, add a shadow, and subtract a few pixels from the player's y position so it looks like a jump.
When you get a ground enemy or hazard collision at the ground position and the player's jumping, ignore it. To make it so the player can jump on a ledge, check if the cosmetic jump height variable is high enough. If so teleport the player up that edge.

Online multiplayer? I hear it's tough. But you've got DLLs for that, like 39DLL. I remember Gang Garrison 2's custom networking extension being pretty impressive.

I'd like to know this too.

This is pretty cute.

I just said this repeatedly

use 2D frustum culling in the renderer to draw only the parts you need.

Ah! Right - sorry for making you repeat yourself.

Thanks for the tip, I will remember it for my future projects!

Is this Mario 64 with female protag? because I like it.

>people praise NSMBWiiU for being a "perfect" platformer
>gaming media calls it shit like "challenging and inventive"
>you can literally skip half of it without even trying
>final world of the game is a fucking cakewalk
>never once requires you to use any skills you've learned, just go right and time your jumps
>free 1UPs everywhere, you will never get a game over
>the easiest final boss I've ever fought
>game is cute and nostalgic so everybody slurps its shit

Is Nintendo a master of preying on stupid nostalgiafags? How do I do the same thing when making a new product?

My first gamemaker game. learning to code is fun

>Do you think it's a good idea to do it on Unity?
I would do it in Unity but I know the engine very well. If you are planning on doing 2D only then maybe consider a 2D engine or framework. You can do 2D in Unity but there are some pains, particularly if your game is meant to be fairly low resolution.

You can use an atlas. Most engines should already have support for this. However with 1kx1k you probably want to rely on frustum culling unless you need perf to stay good when zoomed out or something.

>eyes literally bigger than her fists
holy shit anime was a mistake

this looks nice, like the character design, do you have other characters yet? What is this game about?

it's hard for nintendo because they mastered video game design in the 90s and have nowhere else to improve

>literally more progress than 99% of agdg

great job user!

M8, you know most of the world is casual gamers, right? They don't want a super difficult platformer.

Fuck right off!

how's this?

>>gaming media calls it shit like "challenging and inventive"

they said the same shit about mario galaxy 2, which was just more mario galaxy 1. i think sunshine will be the last mario game with truly hard parts in it.

makes me want to pick up GM

its not really a game yet, but i'm intending to make a 3d action/avdenture game. i have other another male base character, and was thinking of just building other characters around these bases to save time, maybe make some other bases for different races like orc/elf etc. i finally found a character design i actually like

well, I've wasted a whole day to fix all the bugs but now I have a stable release working both on android and PC

Please finish this one. or share the code online

this is the first indie 3D action platformer that actually looks like it has the programming and animation skill to not be shit
please finish it - go play old Spyro games for inspiration

I think the thing I can't really figure out is how would I know how tall the wall is to check if the player is at a ledge or if the jump can get up on a ledge.

Just thought I'd ask this here but let me start with a little background.

I went to /g/ to see if they could point me in the right direction with learning how to program. I was recommended this beginner C# book and so now I'm working on that. I was wondering if it has any application to game maker and the like.

Entries