/lisg/ - Life is Strange General #419

''Maplestory'' Edition

Previous Thread: Life is Strange is an episodic interactive drama from DONTNOD Entertainment. Set in the Pacific Northwest in the town of Arcadia Bay, the player follows the story of Maxine Caulfield and her seemingly newfound ability to turn hella gay and rewind time. At the prestigious Blackwell Academy, Max must prepare with Chloe Price for the incoming storm of returning to her hometown after five years. Available on Steam, PSN and Xbox Live.

>Official Website:
lifeisstrange.com

>Steam:
store.steampowered.com/app/319630/
steamcommunity.com/groups/4chanlisg

>/lisg/ Permalink:
orph.link/lisg

>FAQs, Old Threads/Strawpolls, Soundtrack/Music & Leaks:
orph.link/lisgarchive

>/lisg/ Community Written Fan Fiction:
orph.link/story

>Compilation of Fanfics:
orph.link/fanfic

>/lisg/ Content Producers:
imgur.com/a/DOAKn

>/lisg/ sings (Obstacles):
youtu.be/WjPsOkijFh0

>Strawpolls:
strawpoll.me/11166372 (Vote!)
strawpoll.me/11103444
strawpoll.me/11107672
strawpoll.me/11190596
strawpoll.me/11239475
strawpoll.me/11241922

“They shall see who have never been told of him,
and they shall understand who have never heard of him.”

BFFs, Pirates, Partners in Time & Crime & In Love, Fellow Dorks, GFs, Wives.
OTP

Nothing will ever tear these two apart. They will sail the Sea of Life and Love and conquer it, together.

Well, it would still be a weak statement. And it would still leave the game as ultimately an experience of torture for torture's sake, for player and player character alike.

The game is ultimately bleak and horrible enough in its realities, I won't go and give it and me the bullet and assume it takes one further step into those realities and says "life is meaningless and meaninglessly cruel and the people you love die meaningless and cruel deaths and you are left alone". I don't have that pessimistic and hopeless a view on life, and while I doubt the writers do, even if they had been intending to convey a message along those lines, the game gives me the ability to change this. Change it in actuality and interpret it differently, all equally as validly, if not more so. Certainly and decidedly more so, in my mind.

It's all about a human connection, the powerfulness of it, love prevailing. It begins on defying the universe, fighting for what and who you care about, and ends on winning this fight - against the only opponent ever strong enough to stand in the way of that power anyway: yourself. The universe, its course and whimsical cruelties were the first and easiest thing for Max and Chloe to overcome. Their own selves the last and hardest. But they did.

Above all, it's an easy equation for me why Max would never, could never let Chloe die: The notion of Chloe dying a stranger was so impossible to her that she literally develops universe-defying superpowers. If that is already more impossible to her than the universe going on altogether, how can you possibly imagine her capable of not only letting this senseless brutality happen, but choosing to let it happen, actually actively bringing it into existence, and doing so after everything she's experienced that week, everything they were, have become and now are to each other. It's an impossibility even regardless of all opinions and interpretations. Love transcends morality, tragedy - time, realites.

Before Episode 5's release:
>Lol Mari's theories're shitty.It's way more than shitty to become true
>Chloe has to die thing doesn't make sense.Don't worry they will come with unpredictable story
>We're gonna learn everything about Max's powers,Rachel and Prescotts even Nathan,spirit animals..
>Jefferson knows about Max's powers
>Nathan,Frank,David or Samuel's gonna save us
>Victoria's with Max,she'll save her
>(After seeing Cemetery scene from leaks) I'm sure it'll be Williams,Rachel's or Kate's grave.
>Rachel's the doe and Butterfly and probably we'll see her in Max's dream
>Blue Jay's Chloe

After Episode 5's release:
>Mari's shitty cliche theory became right
>We visited the SF art gallery for 3 seconds. FOR 3 DAMN SECONDS
>Jefferson became a silly bad guy from Disney
>David came to save us.He's a former-soldier but he can't even fight,just listens teenager's orders. Even he doesn't know she has some time travel powers.
>Victoria's with us in the dark room.Laying there and we can talk her or not.Just it.
>Nathan get killed,Victoria too
>Nathan knew something about the storm but they cut it.
>Warren explained Max's powers(!)(thanks warryn) We found out her power causes/related with Chaos Theory and storm.It's not like we didn't know or something.
>Storm is only coming for Bay because Chloe lives in there but Max's the one who keep changes the time
>Prescotts story erased.Nobody even mention their name.
>Rachel's story fucked too.She isn't doe,or butterfly,bluejay or even shit.
>Spirit animals thing died.Blue Butterfly's storm summoner just it.
>Chloe dies again in one of endings (unpredictable) It gives you a lesson: You shouldn't have used your power.And you shouldn't play this game.Now erase your choices and cry like a bitch.
>Chloe has to die thing comes true, Cemetery scene explained with that.
>The other ending's short but it's less cliché than other.We saved Chloe,storm's hit the town and gone.That's it.
>Epilogue: Use ur imaginations:)muh budget

Victoria is queen.

Ignore the hate. This is Veeky Forums, even this general is not always exempt from that.

The majority here is nice and not hateful! And treat people respectfully regardless of whether they share all their opinions or views or not, as long as those people are respectful themselves, and I can't see that you haven't been.

>Added my poll
Thank you

Kate a cute!

>shitted on wrong guy

sry

This is one of the most friendly generals on Veeky Forums in my opinion.

Yeah it can get heated when it comes down to the age old debate around Ep5.

But we come together in our love for all things Max.

Couldn't agree more.

you deserved a morning grope

Very good explanation. Regardless of what the source of Max's powers is, the fact she got that at that specific point in time without even knowing who she was saving sends a very powerful message.
Both Max and Chloe are meant to be alive and reunite.

Thank you.

Apparently, "Mari" is a person who espouses the "Chloe is meant to die" idea that I argued against. People were talking as thought this person is given special consideration by DONTNOD for some reason.

I do know that Chloe's own voice actor also disconcertingly said something similar. I was disappointed to hear that from the voice of Chloe. And Max's too I guess. Oh well.

Max is #1

yeah something like that. she's making way more retarded theories and praising Michel's work etc.

for VAs, they didn't pay attention into game appearently (as their irrelevant interpreations imply) or really Michel's actually standing behind their every interview , as for Hannah she sees this game as ''oh there are good&bad choices, be smarmy to everyone'', but to be fair while she was talking about endings she said that who knows what'd she do if she was in Max's shoes, ''love is crazy''

Ashly did indeed say something along those lines. And it's not wrong. I mean, in life, we do have to deal with the death of loved ones. And a story that could help us deal with and get different perspectives on that fact of life can be beautiful.

But this is not that story. This is another story. There's enough of those stories anyway, this is an unique story. This is Max and Chloe's story. Of their love, and of that love prevailing. At least for me, and many people here (HI! @ , ). Hannah never actually played the game, and as says, she's made statements in support of either ending.

It can be a different story for you, but I don't think it actually is. As you've said, that's just one way you ~can~ see yourself thinking of the story, you are still dedicated to another way of seeing it, one that comes easier to you too.

But as I've said there, even if you weren't, that's no reason to insult you or otherwise be unfriendly.

By the way: Mari did get special "attention" from dontnod, but not consideration. I am 100% convinced not a single thing she said had tangible impact on this game or the next season of it. Well, 99%, you never know...

> People were talking as thought this person is given special consideration by DONTNOD for some reason.

Yes because those french fucks are adoring her.
Even they had a heart-to-heart talk about the final episode about how review sites; people who are making critisms about the finale were just nitpicking.

I wonder who could be behind this post
>Chloe_Price.jpg

exactly.

ashly's interpreation is connected with her own life, it doesn't have anything to do with the game obviously.

>this pic
The hell is this?

A stylized representation of Max saving her friend.
A little pixel adventure game could have been pretty cool as a fanmade project.

So is that from some video or what?

Well, it has to do with her way of thinking of the game, dealing with it or whatever. Not sure she's ever played it herself. Anyway, it does have to do with the game - but only for her experience of it. Validly so, and if it helps her deal with the game, maybe with the potential death of her character in it that she surely grew to like and identify with to great extents, maybe even help her deal with the actual death of a loved one in some way, I'd say beautifully so. But that indeed does not for anyone else strictly have anything to do with the game, their experience, opinion, interpretation, etc. of it.

I find the style weirdly cute, but the scene depcited in the OP obviously is not so nice. (I still laughed a bit at the juxtaposition of cute and depressed, forgive me Kate.)

Anyway, here's a nicer scene!

Just a series of pictures as far as I am aware.

Finally got to catch up on the fics I'm following.
Latest chapter of Ouroboros was good. Just when I thought it was getting a little *too* fluffly, some feels were thrown in and brought things back to reality. I really liked that.
As cute as it is to see Max and Chloe visiting William, and Chloe being proud of where her life is, it's still important to remember that William is gone and that will always be painful to Chloe even when she knows it had to happen.
Also getting more hints of a Victoria/Chloe friendship and mentorship. As well as Chloe and David really calming down.
All great stuff.

Ashly's view of the story is understandable, but also fatalistic.
I understand she's had really rough moments in her life and sees dealing with the loss of a loved one as a part of life and indeed maturing. Death is a part of life and we will all experience it at some point. It something that cannot be avoided and cannot be changed.
However, LiS is not life. It is a game and it can be changed. Max for whatever reason was blessed with the ability to save Chloe and give them both a second chance. There is nothing wrong with taking that chance.

Post these

Max is a good person!

B E S T G I R L
E
S
T
G
I
R
L

I think you guys should edit a group of people singing first, then another group and sometimes everybody singing together instead of every single one of the audios at the same time all the time.

That a good photo, Max.

I need to go looking for more pictures of happy Chloe.

A Max.

Chloe for that.

Holy shit. That hairstyle is gorgeous.
Wowsers.

This is a very nice Max.

Is there a specific name for it?

Could it ever be possible for a highly intelligent modder to be able to create a new "game" using the assets already available? Using subtitles of course.

In the vain of some story mods you see for Bethesda titles.

i just want to be immersed in Arcadia Bay again ;_;

Publish it user so Square Enix doesn't sue your ass into oblivion.

Sure. Sbel has made some playable levels and resources that could be used.
All it would take is time and inspiration. That's why I think if someone wanted to make a kind of epilogue for the game that it would be better to do a pixel game. Just a single sidescroller where you can talk with people, interact, etc.

I wonder what Max and Chloe are doing these days.

Hmm...I guess it would be interesting. I like that idea user. Maybe I could try and craft something up in RPGMaker.

I'm in a creative mood.

Chloe's making money being a waitress at Two Whales and is putting the final touches on Max's birthday party. Max is unaware and it will be a surprise, it's gonna be great.
Max has been getting hired as a photographer for people. Getting her name out there and also making some money.
They both alternate their time between staying with their parents in Arcadia Bay or Seattle, but they've been saving up money and looking at apartments.

Anyone else wish the game took over the period of a month rather than five days? It would have given time to see Chloe smoking and drinking less and also ceasing to use the hair dye letting her hair start to really grow out. I mean this as in you can physically watch her healing..

If you do it I'll play it.

A pixel game you say.

Just a messy comb back? I wear mine like that sometimes. Needs to be at just the right level of oily though, where it can be combed back in strands with your hand but still be soft enough to fall effortlessly. Well, that or use a mousse or pomade.

Dialogue-heavy pixel game with like 5 locations and a map to run between them on sounds cool. A lot more work than it seems though.

I think the timeline of a week was fine, but that there should have been an epilogue where a month or two had passed.
We see the characters that have healed both physically, mentally, and emotionally. As well as see Arcadia Bay has been rebuilt partially.
You also see how relationships have changed and been built; Kate and Victoria being friends, Chloe and David being a lot more civil, and of course Max and Chloe building their partnership.
There was absolutely no reason to end the story so abruptly and with no actual send off. Even if budget was an issue they could have used still photographs.

How big is your max-folder, /lisg/?

this is so cool

Reminder that if the game has caused any sort of trauma to you that we are here to help and if you need more severe help and if you need to talk to someone then you can visit

www.lifeisstrange.com/talk

Good luck to you and we are always here if you need us. There is no shame in admitting your pain, remember Kate having someone to talk to saved her life too.

I'm going to start by trying to think of some kind of concept storyline. Unsure whether to go with a AU reality where the storm/problems never happened and make my own story-or to continue with the Bae outcome.

I'll keep people posted.

Neat! That orientation shift is interesting. But how is Max supposed to see out the windows when they so high up?

Yeah, it just looks like a greaser style. But it looks really good on Chloe. Especially in that specific image due to the angle. I'm a guy and wish I could do that with my hair but it's way too messy once it gets even a little bit long.

aww man, FEZ is such a beautiful game

>That orientation shift is interesting
It's literally Fez ripoff.
>how is Max supposed to see out the windows when they so high up?
Make her way to the top of the bookshelf, ez.

Cool. I don't think anyone would hold it against you if you started and abandoned it due to loss of interest or it gets too hard.
But best of luck with it.

>But how is Max supposed to see out the windows when they so high up?
Max rewound herself into a baby!

Not as big as her heart.

Good luck!

>Renderanon will never make a Hawt Dawg Man Jump 'n' Run Hide 'n' Seek

That's fucking great.
I was expected Max/Chloe to come into the room towards the end.

Is there any indication what HDM is in the game? I know it's a series of some sorts, but even Kate knows about it so I don't think it's too obscure or violent I guess it's like the universe's Bugs Bunny. Even though I love how a lot of fans seem to act like it's JJBA with tons of over the top action.

>Hawt Dawg Man comes to life and starts posting on Max's Facebook and other accounts

Apparently one of those TV-show-gone-franchise kind of things, spawning video games, toys and so on. More like the universe's SpongeBob? But SpongeBob exists in the LiSVerse too, Max references it at some point.

I wish max looked better here or else thats awesome

People always looked freaky in those, it's kind of part of the charm.

Man if paul robertson did the art on the face it would look amazing. That dude's incredible.

I like that image. All I can think of is Chloe comforting Max and telling her "It's not your fault, none of this is."

How does that shadow on the right pillar work?

I prefer Chloe with blue hair.

I do too. But I also like her with blonde as long as she keeps it short. It's something she could easily change with just a little bit of time.
Max and Chloe both like the blue though so it's probably going to stay that way for a while.

Maybe she could eventually dye it red or something.

Blonde is okay, but she looks more distinctive with blue.

On a similar note I'm not a fan of Max dying her hair some crazy color. Maybe just a little highlight if she wanted.
I think in general terms both of their hair is a perfect length and leaves just enough room for some variation. Chloe could slick hers back and both her and Max could put it in little ponytails.

Funny you mention the red since I thought that was going to happen. One of the optional photos in Ep 5 was Of a girl in the art gallery and when I first saw the list of photos I thought it was going to be Chloe during an epilogue.
I don't know if I would like her with red hair though, I think the blue fits her and also makes sense since Max comments it reminds her of an anime/manga and also it was a similar to the color William was painting their house.

How about Max Landis hairstyle?

vomit.jpg

me too by I'd like blonde to symbolically represent her healing.

what are you talking about?

How long would it take after the funeral for Max to realize she was never going to get away with changing fate, stop crying, and take up Warren's offer for a date? She can't dwell on someone who got themselves killed by being stupid. Max needs to move on and go ape with her new boyfriend!

I get what you're saying, but I'd prefer she heals just by being happier rather than having to change her appearance to look more "normal".

Chloe's punk aesthetic is part of what makes her appealing, and I wouldn't want that to change. Her blue hair and skull shirts and beanie are cool and I'd hope she keeps them.

After all, there are even some older people who still consider themselves punks.

No one else reply to this low effort trolling.

(Apologies for awful quality) One of the optional photos in Episode 5 is this girl. Before I played the episode I saw someone post the optional photos page. You could only see her back in the photo so I thought it was Chloe with her hair dyed red and after some time-skip.
But in reality it was just some random visit at the gallery, who just happens to look like if Max and Chloe had a kid.

Its kinda funny how Bay supporters feel the need to try to troll and antagonize the other side. You generally don't see that the other way around.

>>I get what you're saying, but I'd prefer she heals just by being happier rather than having to change her appearance to look more "normal".
well same but what I mean is an unconscious thought, she just no longer thinks of it she doesn't have the need for it kinda thing it just happens without her realising.

I love her punk stuff and her being punk is her being Chloe that's why it was so touching in the alternate universe that she was still punk at heart... This whole topic makes me sad...

Here's her face. I'm convinced there was some time-fuckery here, or a medical breakthrough, that resulted in a Pricefield child. She's got that mix of hipster, nerd, and punk. I guess she has a power similar to Max and can jump into timelines that never technically happened.

what is this optional photos thing ive never heard of it! btw yeah I assumed something like thatwith chloe.

I'm Bay too but trolling is stupid. We have good friendly discussions about it but that's so obviously trolling. lol someone should make an 'immunity Kate' meme.

What's with max and the otters? I've caught her say "go otters" at least 2 times, and she was unsure about breaking into the swimming pool because it was the "otters lair".

It's the school mascot

You've never heard of the optional photos? The ones Max can take throughout the entire game by being in certain spots, situations, etc. They appears at various points in every episode and are linked to the game's achievement/trophy system. They don't change the story or anything and are just little things to find.

Why look, an Otter in my water...
And the Otters are only the name of their swim team, the school's mascot seems to be the Blackwell Bigfoot.

Cute! Chloe has a look of determination and Max is ready to photograph her accomplishments!

\(^ ^)/

give me feels with your LiS pics.