Classic Car General - / C C G /

Classic Car General - / C C G /

post ya ride ya fagguettes

>classic car and truck discussion
>a classic is commonly referred to as anything 25 years old or older that is special
>post your projects, bench dyno and other topics
>all countries have cool classics
>no your mercedes is not a muscle car

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ZNbHN5ppxME
youtube.com/watch?v=p9Dz3TJwvD8
dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/96907446/image.png
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

fuck off, faggot

fuck off and take your tripfag self back to redd.it

>my miata is 4 years away from being a classic

done ;^)

also thanks for the (OP)

m8 I want a clk430 so bad but it is almost impossible to find a decent convertible

Dude they are all over the place down here. I've seen 2 this month that were in great shape.

why would you still post here if literally nobody likes you and you're an attention seeking faggot on an anonymous board?

this desu

for the dank led.it maymays

I don't believe it. you know if manheim has any public auctions anymore? or TRA?

>he got his feelings hurt by a shitposter on a japanese image trading board

>he used le epic stock image women laughing meme

really showed him

people who use tripcodes all the time are fucking cancer, seriously go back to redd.it where you can post with your epic username and nobody will make fun of you for it

>assmad GM fangirl detected

Cry some more, newfag.

>tries to make a thread on an anonymous imageboard with cancer tripcode on
>only person who replies ontopic is another tripfag

huh

I don't know of any Manheim auctions that are public anymore (not to say there aren't any, just none I know about)

Speaking of projects, my local pick and pull yard actually had a 93' Miata come through. I dropped by to pick up a couple spare parts/clips/bolts. The previous owner must have been an outstanding chap

>lpg
>not cancer

I went to the pick n pull near me and they want 270 for an engine and 160 for the heads

I think I will find a good 351w donor, take the heads off a 97 explorer 5.0, slap them on /loosely/ and then just buy it as is. do you see any problems with this plan?

This Miata had been out for 3 days, and had already been pretty much picked cleaned, but I did manage to find a few things I needed/wanted spares of. I really wanna swap the black vinyl top on it right now for a red canvas one

As far as your plan, I don't see anything obviously wrong with it man. Should work

this thread has been ruined by some attention seeking autist who doesn't have any appreciate for anonymous image board culture

Visit the IG listed on the windshield, your suspicions are correct.

You?

lol I didn't even stop to think it might be a real IG

put your tripcode back on, faggot

I'm not him though. Stay mad.

and I'm not him either. topkek

>dumb cuck gets triggered by an attention whore
kys retard

>stupid beta gets trigged by dumb cuck replying to attention whore

kys retard

Oh god, so I did visit his Instagram. It makes me wanna message him just to tell him his Miata is in a better place now....and that I took gear shift knob

>projecting
Stay BTFO.

Look mom he replied again LOL

Stay BTFO

Which one of us will be the bigger man and stop replying first?

Not me, stay BTFO

>work with a 17 year old who drives a really badly modified saturn SL2
>watches haggard garage religiously
>wants a 1500 dollar miata
>vapes
[Can't_Wake_Up]

My Miata turned 25 this month :^)

so did ur bf

If that has red interior then grab as much as you can because that's an LE Miat which is one of only 1500 made. Door panels and speaker grilles are fucking gold in those LE's dude.

It does have a red interior, but the interior was fucking destroyed. Door panels were completely trashed, so was the carpet/seats/dash. Anything that was in decent condition was long gone by the time I got to it.

Someone had cracked the instrument cluster open, so I did swiped the guys odometer though

does he talk about vape mods to an annoying extent?

no but he really wants to stance a miata and do sikh mawds like a straight pipe and a huge wing on it.

We had a young guy at my dealership do this, except he did it with an older golf

They hired him as a "detailer" which for us is anyone who cleans up a car before we send it to the front lot. He got a salesman to take him to a closed auction to get cheap golf

First thing he does is straight pipe it, and he gets like 7 noise complaints against him in his apartment complex in a week. Then he lowers and stances it, and it scrapes/hits speed bumps, and he fucked up the entire underside inside a month.

Then he got some guy to do a cheap back yard tuned, and it tripped every single fucking warning light on the dash, and he couldn't get the damn thing passed inspection. It was so fucked he couldn't even get rid of it on craigslist, finally ended up selling it to one of his friends who was just as much of a dumbfuck as him

So I have an interesting possibility of a car to get. Not that it's fixed up, I'm putting my '73 Land Rover up for sale. Now I can take the money I get for it and put it in the bank and spend it slowly on other projects OR I have a possible chance to buy a '69 Barracuda convertible. The Barracuda is a solid car body wise but needs to be repainted and cleaned up, 318 engine with an auto and it has dealer installed AC. Price is $8500 firm.

Car looks like this but with a black stripe instead of red.

>ac car
>cooter
noice. but seriously I would love one.

Not to be a downer, but just any time I ever hear about an average person considering a car that old, I can't imagine it turning into anything other than I giant money pit

And I know it's an acquired bias because I've had several friends/family members have that exact situation play out after buying into cars from the 60's/70's

he already has multiple classic british automobiles, I doubt lucas electrics are easier than anything american.

See, that phobia is what keeps me away from buying anything truly interested though. I look at old cars the way most people on Veeky Forums look at german cars

m8 if you can work on a miata or a mercedes, you can work on a classic.

unless you have six webers on a ferrari, you are good mayne. literally nothing other than fukt wiring is hard to do.

Fair enough. I doubt anything could get worse than my old SL 380 anyway.

not hard enuf

I'll bump this.

Need to figure out a lower intake manifold for my 95 5.0 ferd motor. Rebuilt it for boost using a kenne bell blowzilla.

They say the gt40 lower intake works well but once you're in the 6500 rpm and above the intake chokes on flow some.

My motor is rated for 7200 rpm so I want to squeeze as much as I can without splitting the block in half.

Research shows people trying to open the gt40 intake up but it compromises the structure and makes it even more vulnerable to heat soak.

edelbrock performer and a throttle body aftermarket fuel injection unit.

also what heads are you using?

83' Tercel wagon (SR5 4WD). Just pulled the motor to give it a refresh, port the head, and throw on a Weber 32/36. Then off to the paint shop to get it resprayed back to factory.

>is all 3 of my vehicles, wagon is far left.

I am a professional mechanic, fixing it will be nothing. Then I sell it for profit.

Trust me everything is aftermarket.

The only options are the gt40, eldelbrock or trickflow.

Trick flow sits way high and I'll have to cut the hood even more. Costs more, but is supposed to have the best flow.

Eldelbrock is the middleman from what I read.

Gt40 is cheapest and flows well until crazy race numbers. Possible to modify but may cause heat problems.

Big heads. Afr 195s w/ 72cc

I found it /ccg/

The perfect music to drive with in my valiant
youtube.com/watch?v=ZNbHN5ppxME

Fuck off
also

>park corvair on hill to avoid submerging during heavy rain
>all the oil drains into the left side cylinder bank
>start it up
>sounds like a pair of tap shoes
>burning oil that leaked into the combustion chamber
>drivers side front tire goes flat in 8 hours
what the fuck summer

Lol. Just spin it around and park for another hour

Nice. What would be better for a budget build? Gt40 or gt40p on a 351w. I might try my hand at some mild porting or just take it to a machine shop (which I'll have to do anyway to resize the head studs) to get done. Also with those heads, what is a good compression piston to go with for cheap for a daily driver street build?

I did but it needs to idle for a fucking hour to get the oil flowing again.

Those are boost heads. They're gonna net me around 8.5/1-9.5/1 compression ratio before boost is added. My pistons are flat topped.

If you're not boosting your motor then the smallest combustion chamber is best for your application.

I would recommend the RPM II performer intake from eldelbrock.

It's also the manifold I'm leaning towards right now also. Got like 10 different emails to trick flow, eldelbrock and kenne bell waiting on their techs to give some input.

okay so i finally got this thing on the road
and it was running fairly smoothly for the most part

this week its laboring to do so.

carb wont handle much less than half throttle or it'll die. full throttle is good but if i slowly accelerate, just cant keep up. pretty embarrassing when i try to pull out of a 4 way stop and it kills itself half way through. its iffy when i shift gears too. from park to reverse or drive, if im not giving it gas it'll die.

i dont understand. is it vacuum, float, power valve, accel. pump??? i cant figure it out
its all adjusted to oem spec until i can smooth it out, except for the float.

pls no bully

youtube.com/watch?v=p9Dz3TJwvD8

How are your mains?

Have you check your a/f?

Is it running hot?
Accelerator pumps only trigger once per push on the throttle so it wouldn't be the problem.

Also jelly of your car tbqhfam

you need to read more about how carbs tune. isnt there some how to for that carb?
every carb has its particular way of tuning it. but on them all you have to read the plugs to see the mixture.

learn to read plugs. they need to be read at different throttle positions you know? such as full throttle, turn off the ignition in a safe place and take a plug out before it is allowed to idle to see the full throttle mixture

>isnt there some how to for that carb?
there are general tuning tips but here's the rub, it's different for every engine/carb setup.

for example, Webers don't like much fuel pressure in the lines
Holleys do.

It's something that needs experience.

first step is checking mixture.
then its VERY VERY good to stick a fuel pressure gauge on there. lean can easily be a low float level.

if you go to a car show, you see dozens of cars with fuel pressure gauges next to the float bowl. not a meme, its handy to know.

Sounds like a vacuum leak. How is yhe the manifold to carb gasket or your vacuum lines.

I'm only looking for those heads because i can get them for pennies at the junkyard and sell them for like 2 or 300 when i want to move up to some aluminum or high flow heads. Besides, they kick the ass of stock truck heads and e7s

Gt40 heads are solid starters.
Run flat top pistons you'll be fine.

You have a vacuum leak or you need to clean your carb. Mechanical fuel pumps keep your car at the right pressure.

I'd upgrade to a holley.
>so shiny

What compression do you think is good for a 300 ish whp goal in a 351? The only thing is that it needs to be streetable. It's going to be a regular street driven engine with hydraulic lifters.

>that air cleaner
Wut

I still want to take a 71-73 fastback and drop a 6.9/7.3 turbo diesel in it, side pipes rolling coal all the way down the quarter.

That 2100/2150/2300 (whichever it is) isn't that bad of a carb.
Its very simple to rebuild and tune.
Did that actual carb come on that engine?
Those autolites (and Holly's) have a power valve- they like to blow out from backfires. That would be my first swap since its such a simple carb.
Float level affects everything. Can't tune it and then adjust floats.
If timing is correct, check vacuum hoses. Make sure vac advance is hooked up to the proper port (carb has 2 types, manifold and ported)

Old pic, I bet she's not nearly as clean today bro.

hello

42 years old

Who /123/ here? Polished my -83 yesterday, feels good man.

Also interior status = hella fresh.

i havent checked the a/f (assuming u mean air/fuel mixture). i havent had the time to go into greater depth to check the plugs like said. ill have to do that. im still kind of new to all of this.

i still need a temp gauge but i havent had any issue with overheating or elsewise yet.

i will probably look into getting a pressure gauge or regulator like mentioned. that seems like a smart thing to do unless it's really unnecessary.

it was the carb that came on the engine. it had a blown power valve on it when i got it, i couldnt get it to stay running and any kind of throttle would just bog it out.

i did rebuild it not too long ago but i might need to go back and do it again if it's not pressure or vacuum related. i think the power valve /might/ be bad

however, here is an overlay of the way i have all the vacuum lines layed out. ive already replaced all of them.

dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/96907446/image.png

if anyone has any input on this 302, it would be great. i might have it entirely wrong.

Anybody know anything about old Saabs? I'm more of a volvo guy but them lines got me thinking unpure thoughts

as a rule of thumb its not a good idea to try and diagnose this over the Internet.
things like valves out of adjustment and so on throw us off. we can do it, but sometimes some information is missing and it makes us give a bad answer. but plugs cant lie. get a chart that tells you how to read them.
print it out.

any saab is cool
the turbo ones just are twice as cool
just look how comfy a saab is

Fuck it feels good to see that beast moving. Good luck with your troubleshooting man, this is still my favorite vehicle on Veeky Forums, even if it is a total shit show right now.

is that a mine?

is that where you take your victims

My baby. Current job is brakes. Had to replace master cylinder so I just need bleed the brakes and test. I'm hoping the booster didn't go as well. Next is deal with the light rust and body work it does need and get it some paint.

master cyls suck to do
what engine is in it?

Indeed it is (pic related).
One of several places.

Also the 65 Ford Galaxie I got my dad for this past father's day. I've known it as his dream car for as long as I've been alive and I'm sure it's been longer than that. Needs a lot of love. Runs great but interior is basically gutted and obviously needs paint. Also having issues with brakes.

what a creepy place mate.

Got the 350. 2bbl carb I just had to replace as well. Runs like a dream when it's all working. Been a pain in the ass, but couldn't be happier.

cool af

Pops has some good taste

oof, doesn't sound like a lot of fun.

>/ddt/ ded
>L24 got a life so he can't bump 20 times a day

Feels bad man