Japanese Engines

LS vs Coyote/Modular vs HEMI has been done to death, let's try something else.

Rank these from best to worst
>Honda B16
>Mitsu 4G63
>Subaru EJ
>Mazda 13B
>Nissan SR20
>Toyota 4A-GE

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/qMIKfz-LCTU
clublexus.com/forums/sc-1st-gen-1992-2000/47324-800-hp-twin-turbo-1uz-fe.html
youtube.com/watch?v=qC1Su_VVtd4
youtube.com/watch?v=ECgaXdiY6V4
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

No love for the B6ZE? TheCarPassionChannel has definitively proven it can reliably handle 270hp when boosted

lmao a 1uzfe makes more than that stock and unstressed

>Honda B16
Only the jdm ones were good
>Mitsu 4G63
Absolute garbage
>Subaru EJ
Junk
>Mazda 13B
Excellent engine
>Nissan SR20
Absolute garbage
>Toyota 4A-GE
Great design. Terrible output

i pick f20b and beams 3sge and mazda 20b

I picked the ones in the OP because they are the most famous/well known/legendary engines

I don't live in cuckland so we got good versions of these, but
>>Honda B16
8/10
>>Mitsu 4G63
7/10
>>Subaru EJ
4/10
>>Mazda 13B
4/10
>>Nissan SR20
5/10
>>Toyota 4A-GE
7/10

4G63 the GOAT
4A-GE
SR20
B16
13B
EJ

>Japshit

Literally all crap that require thousands of dollars in modifications to get a car to move. You didn't even post a Yamaha creation to save the list.

>Clearly has no idea what he's talking about.

4age is part yamaha

But sadly i do.

Only the 4G63 can handle over 1000HP without exploding after 1/4 mile

after you've removed all the 4g63 parts sure

Nice meme.

Its true though

best in what? reliability, weight, torkz, horses?
i'd automatically remove every boxer engine from the list, mitsubishi ticking bombs and nissan's boat anchors (except for L series, those are super tough). rotaries are also durable if you don't flood them every now and often.

>i'm just gonna repeat something other people say even though it makes no sense in this instance
idiot

>I managed the embarassing feat of destroying an SR20, therefore it is garbage.
No, you are garbage.

Best overall

Power, torque, reliability, weight, technology, efficiency, sound, response, anything

SR20s destroy themselves just fine without me.
CA18 is far better
Nissan on a whole makes terrible engines though.

Affordability as well. Otherwise we start getting into weird million dollar territory.

i don't think there's such thing. every engine has its ups and downs, if there were such a perfect engine i'm sure everyone would have one or try to copy it. pick your best engine, it's all subjective.

you need to list every single attribute you want anons to consider otherwise judgements will either be based some irrelevant shit or fail to take into consideration important stuff.

It's not. For 1000HP you can keep the stock shortblock.
Ok nigga, just stay out of these.

Obviously it's subjective, and obviously an engine can't be the best in class at everything. I'm asking which is the best when you average all the factors?

Hey a jap engine thread. I dont know shit from fuck aboutem. Maybe ill learn something.
>click

Welp that went exactly how i thought it would go. Ima go back to my v8 now.

>I'm asking which is the best when you average all the factors?
vtech yo

>No 1/2JZ

If you look around, drift mechanics at Japan's best tracks pretty much rate these the best and see customers time and time again realise the hard way

SR/CA's are weak as shit and blow up, and RBs are too much effort

why even discuss lolnotorque engines?
it's like you don't even want to win races

>tfw out of those six I've only experienced the 4age (silvertop and bluetop), sr20det, and a naturally aspirated ej25

have you guys really driven with all these engines?

>caring about the torque meme

Hot to spot a retarded amerilard.

this post is sadly underrated. Its a japanese v8 you fucking i4 cucks

>EJ is bad meme
The stagnation and fact Subaru could do better upsets me too but let's be real. It's a decently reliable 20 year old engine making decent power.
Not being excellent doesn't make something shit.

B16
4AGE
4G63
SR20
EJ
13B

That's probably the only nipshit engine i'd ever consider... if LS didn't exists.

the only special thing about it was the fact it's a boxer
otherwise it's pretty average in all areas

>not sticking a 2zz into an AW11

>I am a rotard and I like to show it in every opportunity

>2ZZ
I think you mean 1MZ-FE

>wahhhh wahhhhhhh

Kill yourself pistontard.

The problem with ranking Jap shit is that they are all the same.

It's fun to argue huge displacement v8s vs 6 cyl turbos, but it's boring as shit to argue which Jap engine burns the leanest or lasts the longest.

A used 1uz is so cheap though its becoming a thing to swap them into non toyotas.

Its just offensive to see a bunch of weebs bragging about i4s like its the only type of engine the japanese make.

Its like showing off your daggers when you have a genuine antique claymore in the back.

But those are all trash except for the b16.

you use a ovoid triangular piston fuckstick, its not a rotor.

>The problem with ranking Jap shit is that they are all the same.

not as bad as burger V8s
the most boring engines on the planet

>not BEAMS

Plebeians

>not two fucking rockets

youtu.be/qMIKfz-LCTU

Those are jets, dumbass

>no ecoboost

Wrong, they're actually turboshafts, dumbass

Ecoboost is basically derived from Mazda like MZR and whatnot or so I've heard so you could probably put them on the list.

Good job forgetting about 3S-GE

Anyone know anything about the 5E-FHE?

Found a Turbocharged Sera near my base and looking to buy it but not sure about the engine.

>CA18 is far better.
kek

feelings about the 22RTE?

Should I put this in my AW11?

20B better than all of them.

sure why not? do you have a reason not to?

I've never wrenched

get some friends and dig in. one of them can help you

Why no love for the engines like the d series, k series, and the h series (h22

Don't know alot about the tarbo version, but the 22r is a super solid engine.... but makes little power. Not a bad thing though.

thats what i get a lot. there was a 4 runner turbo that rusted in the pick and pull but someone already tore off the turbo

it probably needed a total rebuild

>>Honda B16
>>Toyota 4A-GE
Both classics, but easily exclipsed by modern engines.
>>Subaru EJ
Two headgaskets, two failure points.
>>Mazda 13B
Rotary. Love it or hate it, it can be a good engine.
>>Nissan SR20
The easy 400hp engine. Not worth much after that though, if you actually like a powerband. Also, useless without a turbo, and heavy.
>>Mitsu 4G63
Best out of your list.

>>Honda K20/K24
Best current JDM inline four.

Sure, but JZ's are the heaviest, lardiest Jap engine i can think of, with the most ridiculous weight distribution.

>the only special thing about it was the fact it's a boxer
Which makes it a bitch to fit into anything but a Subaru or a Beetle.

which jap engine is closest to the barra?

2JZ
>heavy
>inline 6
>turbo
>low redline
>sturdy stock internals

... which are jets.

t. aircraft mechanic

Why did OP pick the best Mitsu engine and the inferior/not even a 4 cylinder option for half the others?

Ranking actually good 4 banger engines:
>Honda F20C
Highest specific output by far, strongest rotating assembly with forged internals, only drawback is no turbo
>Mitsu 4G63T
Built like a brick shithouse if you get the correct version. Good aftermarket.
>Toyota 3S-GTE
Like the 4G63, but with a shittier aftermarket and less good versions. Rev. 3/4 are god-tier, rev. 1/2 are shit.
>Nissan SR20
The GTiR version is a bit better, but they're still not spectacular. Muh rockers. Saving grace is the aftermarket, which isn't really anything to do with the inherent quality of the engine. Nissan has better 4 cyls but they're not from the general time period the rest of these engines are.
>Subaru EJ
Nothing special about it at all. Stupid layout. Various recognized problems. I guess it's impressive that they're still using it, but it could be better.
>Mazda BPT
Not bad, but less good than the rest of these. Low specific output and no aftermarket. Stock they're quite limited.

But to answer OP's specific question:
>4G63
>13B
>SR20
>EJ
>4AGE and B16 tied

13b GOAT

>turboshafts
>turbines
>rockets ever having turbines

they're alternators you fucking morons

Mazda won Le mans with two 13bs stuck together
Every other engine mentioned itt has never won Le mans
Gg

>he takes Veeky Forums seriously

It's muffler bearings, shitcunt

1fz or tb42

well, obviously the 787 would win, but that's literally a dedicated, designed race motor.

I've never seen 1000hp 1UZs but I have seen 1000hp 4g63s, 13b, b18 etc. Maybe there is no correlation.

wouldn't surprise me if there's a 1000hp UZ in an arab landcruiser for dune racing

IIRC there was a 800+ HP 1UZ many moons ago.

Yup
>clublexus.com/forums/sc-1st-gen-1992-2000/47324-800-hp-twin-turbo-1uz-fe.html

time for some g16b love.
youtube.com/watch?v=qC1Su_VVtd4

youtube.com/watch?v=ECgaXdiY6V4

B16 and i dont even like hondas much. Then my next choice would be 4g63. Never exposed much to the others.

>reliably handle 270hp when boosted

that's not shit retard

They haven't, they're just benchracing.

From best to worst, NA

>13B
>4A-GE/B16 (tied)
>jam the remainder in

FI

>4G63T
>EJ25T (STi barely loses to the Evo)
>13B (twin turbo REW)
>SR20DET (Spec R is cool, takes a fair bit of power will still being good to daily, easier to live with than an Evo VI or GC8 STi)
>B16, all those turbo Civic vids on 1320
>4A-GE

I've owned the SR20DET, VG30DE, EJ20, 22r, Mazda B6, and worked on the 13B and 1uz. For surviving the apocalypse, I'd like a 22r. For everything else I'd pick the SR20. I'd love the 1uz more but the aftermarket support for it is virtually nonexistent. I kinda liked them all in their own way.

I like 22r but the timing chain on that car is a bitch

>B6ZE?
because its shit maybe?

1ZZ-FE reigns supreme

>small displacement engines all under 2.5L need more work for high hp compared to a 5.7 liter v8
no shit?

Honda k20 > all

dagumi please

Early 1ZZ burns oil m8, not that great of an engine. The later ones are alright though

> 1uz
Head studs, 6 bolt main bearing caps, heavy duty rods. Can be built into a itb track car or a turbo drag car with factory internals. All the really hard engineering already done for you

What do you think of the first generation GSX1300R motor? Seems like a solid engine for light projects.