Best NAVI APPS for android?

IDK if this is the best place for this but whatever. So I'm moving to a completely new city to me in a few weeks, it's a big city here in Poland and I will totally get lost there, so I wanted to get a free gps (navi) app for android that will have a online map. Which one is the best? I will only be using it for walking, not driving.

Other urls found in this thread:

support.maps.me/hc/en-us/articles/208528355-How-can-I-move-maps-to-SD-
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Here_WeGo
amazon.com/dp/B00V54LQO4
wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OsmAnd
vagablogging.net/top-9-apps-for-offline-maps.html
jammer-shop.com/cell-phone-jammers.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Google maps?

Google maps?

Oh shit I am stupid. I meant to say OFFLINE maps of course.

Maps.ME is a nice app.

You can download maps in google for offline use

I read that it needs maps to be stored on the internal memory, not on SSD. That's a nono for me :(.

I was thinking if I should post here or there.

>read that it needs maps to be stored on the internal memory, not on SSD
support.maps.me/hc/en-us/articles/208528355-How-can-I-move-maps-to-SD-

there is a setting in google maps where you can download an area around yourself for offline use

so it won't work for the whole country but you can certainly have enough to get around a major metropolitan area

This. This helped me on my Romanian tour a lot.

Google Maps

OP here, I got "HERE WeGo" and it's PERFECT!

MapFactor GPS Navigation

Works fine on Android. Off-line address search is ok, since the maps are based on OpenStreetMaps, but if you use the Google search for the address it works just fine.

Waze is pretty awesome IMO.

You should see if you can find a good, detailed paper map to keep in your car as well. I'm sure it won't be perfect since there will probably be road construction and things changing, but at least you will have something to look at if your phone dies or the app gets fucky on you

That works better on a window mount?

>here in Poland
Czesć. What city is it?
We mainly depend on Google Maps and Here WeGo which is said to has undergone an overhaul yesterday (it was called Here Maps/Drive previously).
I prefer the latter for its interface and speed limits display.

WAZE
A
Z
E

Nokia here maps

>nokia

So what?

>
>So what?
>nokia

It's trash actually.

Here is the absolute best right now. It's not Nokia's though.

>Here is the absolute best right now.
>It's not Nokia's though.

Microsoft bought Nokia, thus Here's technology belongs to microsoft.

I was just referring to the user getting mad at the other user for calling it Nokia Here.

Some stores sell smartphone mounts that have long arms to get the navigation map closer to the driver's face. Those window mount units have three suction cups and work very well if you use the smartphone with a GPS map app.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Here_WeGo
It was originaly developed by nokia, i still call them nokia here maps though

Can a smartphone be doing one of these navi features while serving as a dashcam at the same time?

At least it wasn't made by a company named Doggy or Kitty. I suppose that would have turned the product name into a joke of sorts.

>I wanted to get a free gps (navi) app for android that will have a OFFline map

Starting to think it's better to mount the phone horizontally on the top of the dash since a window mount is distracting and large. Anyone have a recommendation for a top of dash mount?

superglue

i use navfree app

The offline in maps is fucking useless.

Not if you're walking nigger

Even then it's fucking useless, shit wants to update all the time and half the time straight up doesn't work.

I have never had a problem with maps or offline maps. Sounds like you have a shitty phone.

This is experience from multiple tablets and phones with various versions of maps.

The ONLY version that actually works offline properly is like 6.x from eons ago

>install waze
>ads at red lights

nah, fuck you guys

Remember do not read this jews who recommend you google maps. Install OsmAnd you can download it from Play store/F-droid.

I need an app that has itinerary points, as in points you have to go across while going to your destination.

>itinerary points
Some tools call those "waypoints"

It works just fine and updates once a month

You're just an idiot

You need to change the settings to stop the popups appearing so frequently. Having too much checking also causes faster battery drain. No wonder why so many people have worn-out their expensive lithium ion batteries in their smartphones. Instead of sending them back to the company for expensive replacement, they buy those nasty external battery packs instead. Now their smartphone is tethered by a USB cord to the battery in their pocket.

Just set update to "never" or "manual update only" in options. I do this with a lot of apps.

>since a window mount is distracting and large

A better location is on the dash board area itself. There are various smartphone mounts that slide into the CD slot as long as there is no CD in there. Most people use USB or Bluetooth, so the CD is not used that much.

One of the nicer mounts in the CD Slots is "Car Mount TechMatte MagGrip CD Slot Magnetic Universal Car Mount Holder for Smartphones" for about $11 at Amazon.

amazon.com/dp/B00V54LQO4

bump for mount justice

I found it to be pretty shit in Europe, kept trying to send me down sidewalks and the wrong way down one way streets

>kept trying to send me down sidewalks and the wrong way down one way streets
That's why future cars will have their value based upon intellectual property of database updates. New construction will have to be reported and databases updated. Probably the advent of self-driving cars, self-driving delivery drone cars, self-driving police spy cars, and self-driving couriers for rich people delivering "you are evicted from housing for being poor" all will rely on database accuracy. So new laws will be created to make it a felony to create data innaccuracy.

Sounds good, but a lot of freedoms will be lost when the implications of such laws sink in and affect other laws in a chain reaction.

>I found it to be pretty shit in Europe
That observation has you sitting on top of the iceberg of future law changes on database and navigation accuracy that will affect our individual freedoms in multiple negative ways.

I just hope the next four SCOTUS candidates will be properly chosen.

>I wanted to get a free gps (navi) app for android that will have a online map

wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OsmAnd

OsmAnd is a GPS Navigation and map application that runs on many Android and iOS smartphones and tablets, featuring optional offline maps and turn by turn directions. OsmAnd is a collaborative, open source (GPL) software project that incorporates the 100% free OpenStreetMap data to deliver a complete, user-friendly, mobile GPS solution. Rich mapping, navigation, routing, Points Of Interest (POI), and historical tracking functions are all well supported.

Frequently updated map and POI data are typically downloaded beforehand and stored on the navigation device. Subsequent use does not require an Internet connection, which allows unlimited usage without incurring potentially costly data transfer charges. It also offers uninterrupted and unfettered GPS reliability despite degraded or non-existent cellular phone network signal coverage.

As you walk around, you can update the opensourcemap database. The entire system, the map data and software used to manipulate and display it, are crowdsourced. Any user, with an easy two-minute or less, totally free registration, can correct OpenStreetMap errors, add enhanced POI data, report an OsmAnd software bug, or suggest a potential enhancement. As mobile GPS needs evolve the OsmAnd / OpenStreetMap integrated solution quickly responds and remains current.

Now I'm waiting for someone to create offline navigation maps (with POI) for places like Middle Earth.

Does OsmAnd have a future? It can be acquired by one of the big companies just like non-profit open source Azureus used the general public to debug and develop its features before its developers took it for-profit private and changed the name to Vuze. Google, Apple, Tesla, and that vast mapping company in Germany are going to be the mapping data players in the future.

They need users to have their products installed and using customer's cars to phone home mapping data. Passenger cars such as the Chevy Malibu can already sense roadway lane markings and future cars will sense much more including traffic signs. All that data can be phoned home to statistically correlate the database accuracy for free. Google, Apple, and others would then only need to send their dedicated mapping cars to certain places to recheck non-standard data.

Since the advanced cars with roadway and lane sensors have sunroof option packages, it might even be possible for some longtime google+ users to voluntarily equip lower-end platforms that drop onto an open sunroof track (and clamp down) and their cars can then re-map their cities. It isn't Uber, but you can call it Goober and google might even pay a fee in Google App download and usage points or not charge for google fiber internet.

By leveraging the users to provide free correlating map data, google, apple, tesla, and Onstar can have better maps to make their self-driving cars safer and up to date on any road changes. Even road accidents and traffic jams would be noted immediately with alternate map routes made. But this requires controlling the customers' ability to prevent map data uploads. Thus, geolocation data must be made involuntary as features in smartphone and car tools.

>I wanted to get a free gps (navi) app for android that will have a OFFLINE map. Which one is the best? I will only be using it for WALKING, not driving

You can find descriptions of free offline maps suitable for walking paths (not just roadways) at:

vagablogging.net/top-9-apps-for-offline-maps.html

>Can a smartphone be doing one of these navi features while serving as a dashcam at the same time?

Yes. There are apps for that, but most people prefer to have their smartphone remain a smartphone. If their smartphone is mounted on the dash or window as a cam, they can't talk on the phone or text while driving. So that's a definite negative and why almost no one uses their phone as a dashcam.

doesn't torque have this option?
>also go here and talk about your tablet car mounts

>Does OsmAnd have a future?
>open source Azureus used the general public to debug and develop its features before its developers took it for-profit private

Once the key people use their copyrights and trademarks to sell the product to a big company, then it won't exist anymore. Quite a few other open source freeware projects have done the same thing.

In the meantime, enjoy the free use.

>Can a smartphone be doing one of these navi features while serving as a dashcam

As dashcams go, both the location of the heavy phone on the dash and the form factor of the smartphone aren't good.

Logically, you want your phone to be navi first. So those functions have priority. As a navi, the phone needs to be nearer to you to have details on the screen be visible AND have its screen be touchable. Just these two things prevent it from having a good location as a dashcam.

>Maps.ME is a nice app.
Isn't their "freeware" version more a shill for their PRO version you have to pay for?

That's what free versions of paid software exist for, moron. You never played a demo?

>By leveraging the users to provide free correlating map data, google, apple, tesla, and Onstar can have better maps to make their self-driving cars safer and up to date on any road changes.

A recent news article explained how the mapping companies would turn users into sources of free mapping info. The companies would then license that mapping info to the users and shipping companies as part of the map subscription updates. Any device needing updated map info would have to pay a license fee in the end somewhere.

The best kind of profit is one that the customers pays to create your product and then pays again to buy that product from you. Encryption guarantees users cannot simply upload database copies to other users.

>You never played a demo?

>I found it to be pretty shit in Europe, kept trying to send me down sidewalks and the wrong way down one way streets

That's probably the fear of self-driving car makers. Their map databases have to be accurate. Currently, google and GM had been purchasing map data from a german company. That company through aggressive acquisitions of competitors has become basically the main player in land-based roadway and low altitutde drone navigation maps. Their scanning cars also scan deeper in and acquire 3D type info so they also have height information for buildings and obstacles, poles, and even low-lying concrete walls on the ground about shin-height.

The lobbyists will probably petition congress to allow secret "homeland security driving modes" that authorize self-driving cars owned by rich or important people to have a "Who Cares, Run Them Over" modes. Those modes aren't available for 2nd class normal citizens though.

>authorize self-driving cars owned by rich or important people to have a "Who Cares, Run Them Over" modes.

During the day, I ride self-driving cars.

During the night, I hunt them.
._._._.

The Night has finally come.

I waited patiently. I am used to it.

No one thought of me as a threat.
After all, I only drove a Miata. It has no EcoBoost.

Taylor Swift got into her ecoboost google self-driving car. It was a tight fit because the car was so small.

Her ecoboost google car took off efficiently and drove towards her next venue.

I wielded my stickshift Miata efficiently, darting between all the google cars.

Too polite and full of defensive driving algorithms, those self-driving cars made way for me as they tried to avoid collisions. I took advantage of that.

I praised the inventors of the Miata. "Thank you for not filling the world full of EcoBoost"

After all, if the world was full of EcoBoost, I would be at a disadvantage on the road.

But the road is not only for ecoboosted cars. Those with skill are able to coax success from non-boosted cars by driving cleverly.

I often force myself to drive cleverly on the Road.

After all, I only have a Miata.

Pulling alongside Taylor Swift's self-driving google car, I noticed the model type was known to be one that refused to run over people-shaped objects.

I moved in front and pushed the button to send gas from the canisters to several blow up dolls.

They inflated immediately.

The wind picked them up and dropped then into the road in front of the google car.

True to its algorithm, Taylor Swift's google car preferred to crash the car gently into the road barrier instead of running over people in the roadway.

Take that you ecoboost Bitch!

Sure, Taylor Swift was known to go through boyfriends at a prodigious rate.

But why did she have to drop me as her boyfriend? She didn't drop me for personality or looks. The reason stung.

She dropped me as her boyfriend
when
she
found
out
I
drove
a
Miata.

>Which one is the best?

Which apps keep downloading advertisements and forces you to see them? Is Waze the only one that does this?

HERE maps

That was autistic, but I enjoyed it.

Chances are self-driving or highly-computerized cars of normal people are going to allow privileged people the right of way. Those other cars might even have transponders that broadcast a signal to make your car get out of their way or to never approach closer than 20 feet (protective bubble effect). They thus use all the cars around them as a shield by lining them up close to each other. It'll be like Ghost in the Shell traffic.

Oh like IFF on planes? That would be cool, but as soon as some homebrew guy figures out how to jam the signals it's all over.

>homebrew guy figures out how to jam the signals it's all over.

The problem is that all the other self-driving cars will try to detect the jammer and identify which car is doing it. It makes you wonder how much of your car will end up doing things for corporations at your expense and then sell that data with no compensation to you.

In the future, the self-navigating car lidar and scans can collect map data and images and even dimensions of objects. It may look for potholes by verifying many other cars had a jarring impact at the same spot on the map. It can sell that data to the city. Eventually, cities will just subscribe to these services at taxpayer expense instead of relying on drivers to report potholes for free.

The self driving cars would require software updates to be able to seek out a jammer.

That is literally military grade tech, something which I highly doubt Ford Motor Co. would be willing to pay to push to some suit in a Lincoln.

However, having something powerful enough to wash out the relatively weak signals coming off cars would likely draw the attention of the FCC at the least.

Except that most of the pieces of the puzzle are already there except for the consumer release software. Currently, only companies, the gov't, and military has the software.

Google Maps is changing that. With android phones, it has developed software to have all the android phones communicate and cooperate in triangulation. This is to develop 3D mapping of not only surfaces that vehicles with android travel, or where you hike up a mountain with a cellphone in your pocket, but also to perform 3D mapping of multiple story building interiors and shopping malls. Google put that out in 2011. So triangulation and detection of other radiating devices has been around in the public domain since 2011. Albeit in 2011 it was beta and only select people had it for beta.

On top of that, there are estimator algorithms that will estimate if comm drops out temporarily. Broadcom released a chip BCM4752 way back then, and newer chips have better refined features. That old chip supports IPS through WiFi, Bluetooth, and even NFC. The chip also ties in with other sensors, such as a phone’s gyroscope, magnetometer, accelerometer, and altimeter. As long as there is software for it to be a glorified pedometer, this Broadcom chip could almost track your movements without wireless network triangulation. It simply has to take note of your entry point (via GPS), and then count your steps (accelerometer), direction (gyroscope), and altitude (altimeter). 2011 is a long time ago. The Internet of Things is coming.

Hey, why is my car driving over to the side of the road even though I have manual control?
Your drive by wire (brake, transmission, steering, accelerator) was Dominated.
What, that damn Motoko did it again?
She does it so often it might as well be a meme.

My car is mostly drive by wire: accelerator, transmission, and partially drive by wire for steering (stay in lane, adaptive cruise control, automatic head in & parallel park)

None of that matters when Trump nukes is all by mistake.

>The self driving cars would require software updates to be able to seek out a jammer.

The gov't also took another route. It basically made even possession of parts illegal. You cannot even have one inside your own home or property even if it was 100% manufactured by yourself and never entered public space. It's a type of law that would have been illegal before 9/11 but which the supreme court, along with lots other laws, now allows.

jammer-shop.com/cell-phone-jammers.html

The latest new cars are becoming "navi" aware. The touch screens are getting to be larger and larger now in order to display navigation maps large enough to see. One type actually emerges vertically up from the dash. I wonder if all these vertical solutions are "airbag safe"? The passenger main front airbag is really huge and wide. It would break the navi display which in turn cracks the front display bezel on the permanent dash mount smaller touchscreen.

So much navi. So little space.

I say, Microsoft Hologram on the front windshield. That would be an amusing navi.

What the fuck are you doing?
It only asks to update once a month for me, and it always works
I managed to do a 250 mile drive on and off motorways without data recently and it worked fine. The only thing that didn't work was traffic and it doesn't take two braincells to work out why traffic doesn't work

>The touch screens are getting to be larger and larger now in order to display navigation maps

10 inch touch screens are available in some cars now. These aren't for video, so they are much wider than they are tall.

HERE

thats a great app. I highly recommend

Talking about the Patriot Act, right? I agree with it in principle, but it's too fucking vague.

>it's too fucking vague.
When it was crafted in the Bush years, part of the explanation included comments such as:
1. It cannot be too specific or else the terrorists will game the system
2. Listing too many conditions would be giving terrorists a list of things to try
3. Trust us to not abuse the system

While trust is certainly deservedly lacking as seen by the various abuses over the years and the gov't willingness to deliberately and chronically violate the Bill of Rights, many laws do exist on the basis that the full terms of the law would not be implemented against normal citizens. That's why many laws are not enforced until there's a "troublemaker" that needs to get slapped down.

Because it was too easy to do bad things, the gov't made the punishments way too strong to try to persuade people not to try it. But with self-driving cars reporting everything about you and the passengers you are with, there really is no privacy. What can self driving cars "see"? They'll have sensors on their suspensions. So, the automated compensation suspensions will be able to estimate your body weight and that could help cross-verify charges for your health insurance. Currently, insurance companies already obtain your updated odometer readings from any shop or emissions check or tire change.

In the future, could a tire warranty be voided or downward-pro-rated by driving with low or too-high air pressure for long periods of time? Tire pressure info is available and it is sent back although I have not seen tire companies yet using that info to reduce warranty coverage. But they should. I'll send an email to the customer service of each tire company to contact Onstar and Tesla and other companies that have "phone home" data. They can start to work on improved tire warranty plans.

The cost of fulfilling tire warranties by bad drivers is probably why warranty plans aren't even better for those who do take care of their tires. If the bad tire owner could be eliminated from using the warranty plan, then the tire companies could give even better warranties to the rest of us.

So the self-driving cars will usher in a new age of data collection.

Are you having an affair? Your self-driving car will know. It senses by wifi, RFID, bluetooth the ID of your paramour, her credit card, her employee badge, or her smartphone. The pattern of those being nearby can create Big Data.

>I will only be using it for walking,
Wouldn't the solutions be listed on your polish search engine site? As long as it uses openmap

>Those window mount units have three suction cups
But those 3 suction cups make the big base big as fuck on the window. It's kind of distracting.

bump due to alphonse spam attack

alphonse spam attack still going on

Just mount the base high up by the mirror. It will then be out of your visual field unless you expect traffic to come out of the sky.

Maybe in the future, car navi will help with cornering lines since the basic driving performance is known for the car with certain standard tires.

Lawyers make new feature releases difficult. They look at each new update as an opportunity to find ways to make money thru lawsuits.

Fuck yeah OP it's the best map app out there.
Everything about it is better than google maps.

>Everything about it is better than google maps.

Thanks. I'll give it a try then. The SIM chip is getting crowded so I am a bit nervous about filling it up.

should repost that in the general miata thread for their amusement

>some homebrew guy figures out how to jam the signals it's all over.

It's too much trouble to jam since the cars move around and thus get out of range. It would be treated like a temporary outage. Thus, of little consequence.