maybe for rock crowling, if you're in the mud that's absolute shit

no, it amounts to the same thing

>no locking differentials
>still outperforms the best european SUV, the G-Wagen

Thats ford tier engineering there.

>outperforms the G-Wagen
I'm going to need pic related for that claim, user
>the best european SUV
so you're admitting that the G-Wagen is better than the Range Rover?

it hardly does if both wheels have poor traction

> 1 wheel gets all the power, never both at the same time
> I'ts perfectly fine! Locking differentials suck! R-right guys?

>I'm going to need this burger shitbox that claim, user
what did he mean by this?
>so you're admitting that the G-Wagen is better than the Range Rover?

>Range Rover
>european
pick one

if there's no grip at all no clever diff is going to save you. think about it.

>I don't know how it works but it's shit
go home m8

Both wheels spinning together can get you out with little grip sometimes, even if it won't be an easy feat. The brake system makes it much harder.

I know exactly how it works m8. I offroad and when you are rocking an open diff and you're stuck, you apply the handbrake to lock up the wheel with no traction like that the wheel with traction gets somr torque. The range rover uses this concept except its gives the wheel with no traction full lock, forcing the other wheel to get all the torque. Tell me how is that better than a locking differential that gives BOTH tires at the same time 100% power?

>britcucks actually think they aren't yuropoors
>they can't even click on a thumbnail or do a reverse search
top kek

I know that's a citation m8, I was just taking the piss. And no, Britain isn't part of Europe.

it does allow some slip on the braked wheel, applies just enough lock to transfer torque across

This system does that while being lighter, having better control, less friction, and being easier to service.
Can you not see how that's better?

>it does allow some slip on the braked wheel, applies just enough lock to transfer torque across
It's still less than full power across the board, even worse, it's wasted power turned into heat. On top of that, stressed components. On top of that, wheels moving at different speeds, effectively torque steering. Admit it, it's trash.

Better for who nigga the mechanics and manufacturer? I'll take a locking diff anyday of the week.
> 100% power to BOTH wheels at the same time > 1 wheel 100% at different times
Also most locking differentials last for the lifespan of the vehicle so long as you arent doing stupid shit with it.

>nobody but Brits buy Brit cars
British engineering at it's finest

>British """"""""engineering""""""""

>And no, Britain isn't part of Europe.

You haven't separated from the EU yet have you?

Even if they had, that wouldn't make them any less European. Europe is more than "the EU", otherwise Switzerland wouldn't be European. Pakis are just delusional.

>And no, Britain isn't part of Europe.
>this is what cucks A C T U A L L Y believe

Kek my FWD Jetta has this, I will say that one time backing down a hill I started to back off the road and I stopped immediately but would have had trouble getting back on the road if the car didn't brake the tire that was spinning up front.

Pretty cool to see it applied to FWD vehicles.

My explorer has never had that issue though, AWD with carbon fiber rear LSD.

desu a nation is blood and soil, and british blood is muslim blood so I agree with the bong, they aren't yuros

It's late here and I can't be arsed explaining the basics of how cars work to two simpletons.
If the thread's still up in the morning I might bother.
Have a nice time anyway.

>i-i can't be arsed to explain guys
>braking is totally the same as a diff lock!
t. land rover shill

>halo vehicle from land rover
>couldn't be bothered to throw some locking diffs in it

>I only know how one type of torque transfer technology works so all the others don't count!
sure is mental illness

braking on one side of an open diff is a shitty way to transfer torque, specially if not on hard terrain
for rock crawling it's probably fine though

Lowkey Fords LSDs are a joke. And this is coming from someone who respects ford. Chevroletes G80 locker shits on any Ford LSD.
> Inb4 I-it blows up guys!
Had mine for 220k miles and counting never had a problem.
If you really think that, that shitty system range rover has is somehow better than a full locker you are the simpleton

works well enough for mclaren too, pretty sure they don't leave out the lsd to save a few shekels. they'd do the same with their f1 cars if the technology wasn't banned.

it literally does the same thing as a plate type locking diff, just at the wheels instead of in the diff casing.

also it's less likely to break as a locked diff that is unloaded then suddenly loaded

Post yfw this shits on the best Land Rover available
>works well enough for mclaren too, pretty sure they don't leave out the lsd to save a few shekels. they'd do the same with their f1 cars if the technology wasn't banned.
pretty sure McLaren doesn't make offroad vehicles

>Post yfw this shits on the best Land Rover available
forgot pic

>pretty sure McLaren doesn't make offroad vehicles
and how does that change the physics of torque transfer?

It's not just about transfer, when you are in the mud no wheel has 100% traction and you need it to rotate even though it slips.

maybe for their actual purpose

it doesn't involve dirt

range rovers have several modes including one for wet mud that will allow the system to operate in the appropriate way for those conditions
then it just comes down to tyres.

"the appropriate way" is still not as good as a locked diff

no, in practice it can be exactly the same
that's if a locked diff is the appropriate way

>operate in the appropriate way
>by still sending torque to only one wheel

Britcucks, everyone

> locking diff sends torque to both wheels traction or not.
> Range rover cuck diff sends torque to one wheel
> somehow superior
Nigga...

a locked diff will also send torque to one wheel if the conditions are right
a locked diff doesn't split torque 50-50

it's not only about splitting torque, it's also about the wheels moving at the same speed

No, in practice it slows and bogs down the vehicle when attempting a long steep climb in a soft surface.
That user is right, they're no match for a lock.

okay so you have some weird autistic obsession about wheels moving at the same speed like it matters. it doesn't.

as long as you've got the throttle open wide enough that shouldn't be a problem.
the jeep quadratrac system is pretty similar and provided you use the neccessary driving technique it works great.

> throttle open wide enough
Why would you have to do this? Its inferior to a locker just please accept that. Ask any professional offroader they will all choose lockers because they arr just superior why are you fighting it so damn much?

same speed=better traction, because all the force goes forward instead of part of it being an external torque where the axis is normal to the vehicle plane

he's probably a britcuck, or a cuck who bought a RR, or both
Off road enthusiasts mourned for the Defender when the production ended and they continue to do so

It doesn't matter how wide open the throttle is, in fact it makes it worse as axle tramp becomes more prevalent and the traction control becomes more intrusive.
And it's actually Jeep's Quadratrac system I've experience come unstuck in such a situation where open cross differential 4x4s have absolutely no problem, provided everyone has appropriate tyre pressure.

BRITKEKS BTFO
STALIN STRONK
SOVIET MASTERRACE
youtube.com/watch?v=lgxsHOfnRSY

You can get a rear locker, but traction control is actually superior off road as it doesn't bind up the drivetrain and make it difficult to turn. Nice try, retard.

that must be why people pick AWD over 4WD for serious offroad, what a retarded cuck lel

>This
It's oviously less efficient to split speed and torque equally if only one of the wheels has traction.
Engineering is about efficiency and your autistic wet dreams have no part in it.

>professional off roader
top lel. anyway this is supposed to work on road and off. it does, and it does it better than lockers that you can't even utilise on dry asphalt. off road the main benefit over a locker is that it's less likely to snap shit as it suddenly gets loaded and unloaded.
so you have to use more throttle angle and that's your reasoning as why it's shit? getting kind of petty there, like complaining that you need to push a button to lock a diff.

>same speed=better traction,
well no. you want more *power* transferred to the wheel with most grip which means manipulating wheel speed and torque transfer. lockers are a pretty crude way to do it. yes they're proven technology and simple enough but that doesn't make it perfect.

it matters in that you have to overcome braking forces, however the engine mapping does compensate for it

youtu.be/4U9OdTFoYwg
Skip to 1:59 and again at 2:31 is a perfect example of a locker being superior. Notice that the rear wheel only 1 spins. If both rear wheels were spinning in these instances it would've made it up

>in these instances.
But for vehicles designed to move over terrain where only one wheel has traction
>these instances
arent as important

>well no. you want more *power* transferred to the wheel with most grip which means manipulating wheel speed and torque transfer. lockers are a pretty crude way to do it. yes they're proven technology and simple enough but that doesn't make it perfect.
top kek, the consequence you're failing to see is that the wheel with less traction isn't helping as much as it could because you're braking it
pretty good example, also notice the comment section, people are bringing up mechanical diff locks
that said, didn't some defenders come with front and rear locking diffs? Because that was my point when I posted

WTF are you even saying, cuck? It's proven that your system is no substitute for diff locks on soft terrain, something I've been arguing against your stubbornness since and you called me "mentally ill". Now that my point is proven, it's suddenly "an unimportant situation".

>\thread
Give up cuckbongs

Britcucks status:
[x] Schlonged
[ ] Unschlonged

Post yfw Britain got cucked by muslims again (the G-class was created because Mohammad Reza Pahlavi, Shah of Iran and a Benz shareholder back then suggested it)

>it matters whether a wheel with no grip is spinning or not
americans, everyone

Correct, in America we are allowed to drive on mud and sand rather than being confined to shitty roads in 1.3 liter diesel hatches

That guy seems to be always combining badass and tasteless lel
youtube.com/watch?v=xXdkt4UTU2E
youtube.com/watch?v=3QFNIJmsCK8
There's a difference between no grip and partial grip, dipshit
watch the video in before you spew bullshit

You guys might not be as cucked as the rest of Europe, but even after you leave the EU you'll still be European

>there are people unironically defending this ITT
>typical offroad surface
>not as important
>being this delusional

Holy shit all this reductionist logic.

E-diffs use the ABS sensors to detect wheel spin so they are going to have somewhat of a delay compared to a real limited slip, and will never act like a locker does.

I've seen an e-diff in action on a 2WD truck getting itself out of some mud. It takes a moment of slipping before the system figures out what is going on. If you're a serious off roader, a locker is always going to be superior.

That said, an electronic limited slip WILL get you out of mild trouble so it's not total garbage. That 2WD truck I mentioned pulled itself out of the mud no problem with the e-diff on. So while I wouldn't take an e-diff over a locker, I certainly see where e-diffs can be useful.

E-diffs are a cheap way to make a work truck not get bogged down at a job site, not a way for some crazy offroader to crawl through a bog.

>british """""damage control"""""

If you buy one Land Rover buy two. No fewer than one will always be in the shop. Land Rovers just tell other people that you can afford constant repair bills.

Just weld the spider gears. It'll be fine.

>saying this about something british
user...

a locked diff doesn't give both wheels 100% power
all it does is keep speed across the axle the same which doesn't really matter too much in most situations
it's just a crude way of making torque goes to a wheel and makes a vehicle less stable a lot of the time

an LSD works by diverting power towards the wheel with the most traction

but you can get a locked feel with an open by braking til both wheels are similar and just put power down

it works

>all it does is keep speed across the axle the same
true, and this is useful
>which doesn't really matter too much in most situations
it does in offroad situations
>it's just a crude way
debatable, as it's the best way unless one of the wheels is in the air
>makes a vehicle less stable a lot of the time
irrelevant, it's used on demand. We're talking about offroad. You don't need the stability that an open diff provides when you're offroading.

JUST look at this fucking thing. Is it really more than a 4x4 crossover at this point?

nice Ford Explorerâ„¢

LSDs don't do shit. Lockers deliver power to both wherls regardless of traction. LSDs just deliver more power to both wills compared to am open diff. Thats all. LSDs are completely over rated
t. Ive used both for offroading and lockers outperfom LSDs 100% of the time

This too

>poo in loo's thought softer styling would be a good idea

The mesh grill Explorers look freakishly similar to a RR now.

They(land rover) should have sharpened up the design; made it edgier and more defined while keeping the lines fresh.

Instead, it looks like an an old RR fucked an Explorer and it's offspring was melted in a microwave for a few minutes. kek

LOL even my 20 year old xj had a rear LSD and a Locker (aftermarket) option

>I'm going to need this burger shitbox that claim, user
oh lawd
oh
oh

>muh soviet military garbage
kys, that doesn't even have a center lock

so what you're saying is that it is functionally superior to a locking diff

>unironically defending a 100K crossover unibody with "special" awd
No. You

>unironically

I've got 149k miles on my G80 locker and I abuse the fuck out of it.

Still werks gud.

I've got 149k miles on my G80 locker and I abuse the fuck out of it.

Still werks gud.

>pretty sure they don't leave out the lsd to save a few shekels
Rear LSD is an option on the Range Rover, faggot. They literally leave it out for shekels.

>at this point
>implying it ever had front or rear diff locks

>be british
>pay 110k for an unibody suv
>get stuck in mud

>muh brakes are as good as diff locks
youtube.com/watch?v=qsoWChXebqA

When you're getting stabbed by muslims on the street you stop worrying about making proper offroad vehicles.

>>Range Rover
>>european
>pick one
It is you ass. What did you think?

many wranglers do exactly the same

oh you most definately are

>, Britain isn't part of Europe.
You faggots haven't left the EU yet, quit acting tough
>British """""""""""""""""""""education"""""""""""""""""""""

even when they do leave the eu, they're still in europe